Analyizing the Top-Ten Worst Booking Decisions of the First Half in WWE

Wildcat66

Mastermind of ATV
So I've decided to do something a little bit different for this thread, seeing as the first half of 2017 is over; i'd figured it would be nice to give my own opinions on a recent article I found from the good doctors at cagesideseats.com

If you haven't guessed, this is the top ten worst booking decisions of the first half in WWE as written by Matt Rago.

Article: https://www.cagesideseats.com/2017/7/13/15959178/10-worst-booking-decisions-of-first-half-of-2017

What I've decided to do is that i'm going to be going over all the choices on the list and give my own two cents on them. Some of them I agree with, some I disagree with and some I'm neutral on.

Let's begin with the honorable mention: The Miz and Maryse vs John Cena and Nikki Bella

Opinion: I don't think there was much wrong with the match per-say, the crowd were red hot for this match and it's no surprise. The build-up to it was fantastic, which is something he agrees to. Even so, The Miz losing I think was the right call if they were going to do a marriage proposal afterwards. Personally, I'd say it was a win-win for all comers.

Now onto the actual list:

10: Goldberg as Champ
Opinion: Here's my deal with part-timers, if you want to put a top belt on them; have them hold it for only a few weeks, a couple of months if you want to, then have them drop the belt to something younger or a more full-time star. That's this reign in a nut-shell, he did everything he was supposed to with the belt and at the end of the day; that's all that matters.

9: Dean Ambrose as IC Champ
Opinion: I actually think 2017 has been Ambrose's worst year to date, and see; I like him. He's had a very successful career for himself and when he's good; he's really good. But ever since his WWE title run came to an end, it feels like that he thinks he's done everything he can in WWE and doesn't feel as much of an urge to give too much effort. Even his promos have lost a lot of their bite. Yes, maybe Creative could do a little better working on his gimmick; but at the end of the day, the problem with Dean Ambrose is Dean Ambrose.

8: American Alpha's Disappearing Act
Opinion: I don't believe that counts as a booking error, it feels more like one of those situations where creative had nothing for them. Regardless, it is nice to see American Alpha back on TV again, why they were gone in the first place; we may never truly know.

7: Splitting Up the Wyatts
Opinion: Honestly, it feels like a no-win situation. On one hand, yeah; without followers to help Wyatt's cause, his gimmick feels a little silly. How are you going to be a cult-leader if you don't have a cult to follow? On the other hand, yeah; they were kind of deadweight for Bray. Not just the first time around, but also the second and third time around. But it isn't all bad. Braun's proven that with the right booking, he can be a major player in WWE. Erick though...I don't know, he always seemed rather generic to me. Luke Harper? We'll get to him later.

6: House of Horrors
Opinion: I actually liked it. To me, this was one of those moments in wrestling where you simply had to turn off your brain and see where the action leads. Yes, there were moments that were a bit weird like Orton being trapped in a refrigerator of all things; but overall, I thought it was...different from what we're used to seeing.

5: Luke Harper's Omission
Opinion: This was a bit of a head-scratcher for me as well. What happened to Luke? Am I saying he would have won the WWE title at WrestleMania? No, anyway you sliced it, it was going to be Randy Orton. But the omission of Luke was really confusing to me? Were they getting cold feet beforehand or something? Did Luke decide not to go through with it? Was this a last second decision? Who knows? But it was still a surprising and rather confusing move on WWE's part.

4: Mojo Rawley Wins the Andre the Giant Battle Royal
Opinion: There are two points I can make to debunk the idea that Mojo could have received a push.

1. The Andre the Giant Battle Royal is not a push-starter. Yes, you can point to Cesaro; but that was aborted after a few months, Out of the four people that won the battle royal, Baron Corbin is the only one to actually receive a push; and even then, he came up from NXT to do it and it still took a little bit of time to get going.

And 2. It's likely he won to give a face a win. This is classic booking 101, if you have a face or a heel in a match, and that match is on the pre-show; you are supposed to choose whether or not you want the heel or the face to win. By choosing the face to win, you are pumping the crowd up for more exciting things to come. Could you follow it up? If you wanted to, yes. But at the end of the day, Mojo Rawley got his WrestleMania moment and good for him. Even if he never wins again; he'll never lose that moment.

3. Bayley's Booking
Opinion: I think we all have talked about this before, but if anyone is new; here are the cliff-notes.

Bayley isn't being used as well as thought in the main roster, members of the IWC aren't happy about it, we here at WrestleZone concluded that she'll likely be fine in the grand scheme of things.

This is relatively familiar territory for me, I've mentioned before Bayley is at where wrestlers will inevitably go to at some point of their career. The proverbial crossroads, she's got to make a decision whether or not to evolve her character or keep going with what works. She's mentioned wanting to turn heel, but deciding to back out at the last moment because of her fans, whether that's good or bad is up to you.

But we've talked long enough about how the others feel, let's talk about me. What do I think about the whole situation?

Honestly; as much blame as I can give the WWE for booking her, when you think about it; Bayley isn't all that innocent herself. Different crime, yes; but still not that innocent.

Yes, some of the stuff WWE have given her is not the best. But at the end of the day, the best wrestlers have to find a way to make it work. Basically, you have to turn chickenshit into chicken salad. And if you don't have the charisma or mic ability to pull it off, then you may be in trouble. And judging from what I've seen, outside from a few choice moments; Bayley is only decent in the mic. She's come off as awkward, boring and doesn't seem to work big crowds at all.

Again; the stuff WWE has given her is not all great, but the way it's received is on the performer. Take Breezango for example, they were jobbers for a little while until WWE decided to give them the gimmick of fashion police. Now? They're practically the second most over tag team on SmackDown, the reason for this? They are naturally funny and good on the mic, they can grab your attention and get you interested. That's why their so popular.

If you have a bad script and you are only at best decent on the mic and at worst stilted and wooden, then you're screwed. I don't know what else to tell you, you're going to have to bite the bullet.

But there's another thing I have to discuss; the author called her interview with Corey the death knell. To put it simply, I disagree. I actually think she's in a better position now than she was after Extreme Rules.

Look at what she's done after the interview, she helped clean house against the heels in her division, she got the most offense out of any women not named Sasha Banks and she pinned the women's champion. Granted it was by roll-up but nine times out of ten, that's a sign that company has hopes for you. And yes, you can point to the fact that she only lasted around three minutes in the gauntlet match and that in the last match they had with Jax and Bliss, she was thrown out early because of a knee strike. (Which I personally think was an accident and that Nia might have been a little too stiff on her) But those are minor details when you look at them.

In conclusion: Am I saying things are perfect for Bayley? No, not even close. But can we at least agree what she's doing now is sort of a step in the right direction?

2. Women's Money In The Bank Ladder Match
Opinion: Not gonna lie; I liked the finish. It was very creative and it helped give Carmella a world of heat. If that's what they were going for, i'd say it was a good day in the booking office.

On that note; I have to give credit where it's due. The second time around was in fact miles better than the first one.

1. Roman Reigns Main Events Third Consecutive WrestleMania
Opinion: I can't see that much of a problem all things considered. John Cena and Hulk Hogan main evented WrestleMania so many times it's impossible to count. At the end of the day, if Roman is going to be the top-dog of WWE; you might as well have him main event a ton of WrestleManias. But I think what upset people was that if this was going to be Taker's last match, they could have gone for John Cena vs The Undertaker. Which, I will admit I would have loved to see.

But here's the deal: It happened. You can argue whether or not it was the right call, but it won't change the fact that it happened.

Coupled by the fact that Taker wanted to put over an up and comer on his way out and there goes the hope for a dream match. And honestly, I have a feeling that if it was anyone other than Roman; they too would be shat on by the audience, not as much as Roman, but still shat on. Taker is basically a legend, no matter what he does; he'll be cheered for years upon end.

In the end: This was the story they went for, you can argue over it, you can talk about whether it was good or bad, but you can't change the past. Once it's done, it's done. All you can do is hope that tomorrow is better.

Concluding Thoughts: If you thought this was some sort of hit piece, it isn't. I actually enjoyed the article Matt Rago wrote; I thought he did a good job explaining his arguments and giving out reasons why it didn't work. Yeah, there were things I disagreed on him with; but that's the beauty of being a wrestling fan, we have differing opinions on things and that's ok. It's how we can construct them and make good arguments that make it all worthwhile.

At the end of the day: This was meant to be all in good fun and debate and I highly recommend you read it for yourself and make your own decisions, Because in wrestling, no answer is truly wrong. But no answer is truly right either.

1 - Reigns is still a face - Self-explanatory

2 - Reigns ends the Streak - He just didn't need it.

3 - Jinder wins the WWE Title - Boring in the ring and on the mic. Was also a jobber.

4 - Goldberg beats Owens - A part-timer who can't wrestle longer than five minutes squashes your hottest young star.

5 - Bayley's booking - Self-explanatory

6 - American Alpha disappears - One of the best tag teams in WWE can't even get on TV.

7 - Wyatt loses the title after just one month - He needed a longer title reign. Also the match was underwhelming.

8 - Cena is wasted in a mixed tag - He could have feuded with Ambrose or moved the Styles match to Mania.

9 - Styles vs Shane - Good match but Styles needed a better opponent than a 45-year old non-wrestler.

10 - Aries loses to Neville all 3 times - He should have won at least once.

10 - Miz/Ambrose feud goes on 6 months - Good feud but it's lasted WAY too long.

House of Horrors was well shot, the idea was sound for something "Out there." But in the end it pretty much sucked shit. No blood or somebody going through a wall/window, no drama at all. Why not have Wyatt burn the house down when Randy was trapped? Use a big flame thrower on his way out of the house. Anything. But it just ended up bland, like a WWE Produced movie.

Cena mixed tag at Wrestlemania followed by the much predicted proposal was a big waste of time and the match was god awful. A waste of The Miz and Cena' s time IMO. The build up was fantastic and mostly hilarious , but the match was a big fart noise.

House of Horrors was mostly fine. At least Wyatt won.

So was the ATGMBR. Yeah the match sucked, and the ending just came off as being desperate for publicity. However it mostly means nothing now. It's not like Corbin or Cesaro did anything with their win.

3 - Jinder wins the WWE Title - Boring in the ring and on the mic. Was also a jobber.

4 - Goldberg beats Owens - A part-timer who can't wrestle longer than five minutes squashes your hottest young star.

6 - American Alpha disappears - One of the best tag teams in WWE can't even get on TV.

7 - Wyatt loses the title after just one month - He needed a longer title reign. Also the match was underwhelming.

8 - Cena is wasted in a mixed tag - He could have feuded with Ambrose or moved the Styles match to Mania.

9 - Styles vs Shane - Good match but Styles needed a better opponent than a 45-year old non-wrestler.

10 - Miz/Ambrose feud goes on 6 months - Good feud but it's lasted WAY too long.

Nice list you got there.

EDIT: Forgot to point out that Reigns didn't end the streak, that honor goes to Brock Lesnar.

Just for fun: Here's my list of the favorite booking decisions of this year in no particular order.

1) Everything Bayley Did After Mania- To sum up my point:

1. Creative could have done a lot more with Bayley other than the 'my dream' plot.

2. Bayley however is not helping matters by not trying to make bad scripts work.

And 3. This is another one of those cases where fans and creative have a disconnect on what makes someone work and thus, the star in question suffers from it.

2) Luke Harper's exile into the pre-show- A little head-scratching and somewhat confusing. If Luke is a part of the family, why isn't he a part of the title match?

3) Dean Ambrose's IC title run- More on Ambrose not really caring about what he's doing rather than creative failing him, though both do play a role.

4) Bray and Randy's WrestleMania match- It only lasted ten minutes and then poof, it was over. Very anti-climatic.

5) Emmalina- Easily my pick for worst thing to happen in WWE this 2017.

6) The never ending story of Cedric and Noam- Never really cared for it that much. Probably for the best.

7) Not capitalizing on Seth's win at WrestleMania- There will always be time for Seth to be in the main event, but not doing much of note after defeating Triple H is a little disappointing. Hopefully a feud with The Miz changes it.

8) Lana's other two matches with Naomi- Very unnecessary and better off having not been done in the first place.

And those are my choices. Now if I were to put them in order from least bad to worst, you'd get this.

8. Bayley
7. Cedric vs Noam
6. Luke Harper
5. Lana
4. Seth Rollins
3. Dean Ambrose
2. Bray vs Randy
1. Emmalina

Yeah, I'd agree with this and probably put it higher on the list. Some people liked it, some people hated it, but the fact is there was no reason to have Goldberg/Brock be for the title, especially because they didn't even headline. If this was the big-money match that everybody was hypothetically paying to see, than I could rationalize a Goldberg title win and let it go, but at the end of the day Taker/Reigns was treated as the bigger deal which tells me they didn't need Brock/Goldberg fighting over the strap to draw in fans. I'm still salty that Jericho/Owens were relegated to fighting over the US title when they were pretty much carrying Raw at this time and in were in a perfect position to battle for the Universal championship at Mania. If they absolutely needed Brock to become champ, they could have payed him to show up for one more show and take the title from either Owens or Jericho at Payback.

Eh, why? I guess you could argue nobody should have taken the title off of the Miz, but if it had to be someone, Ambrose was as good a choice as anybody. Ambrose isn't so bad that he shouldn't be fighting for and winning the IC title. In fact, I think that's exactly where he belongs considering the quality of his work right now.

American Alpha needed to get off TV because the way they were being booked was pretty atrocious near the end. At this point, I don't know what the hell they're trying to do, but it's almost as if they're testing the waters for a Gable solo run. Yeah I'd agree with this and I'd throw in their original booking as well. This was a case of screwing up something that should have been very simple.

People complain every time the Wyatt's are split up and I don't necessarily understand why. It's not like Bray, Harper, Rowan, or Strowman did a hell of a lot as a team throughout their entire tenure together. At least we got a Bray title win out of this and, disregarding the awful match they had at Mania, the Wyatt implosion led to some great stuff between Orton, Harper, and Bray. Had they not halted Harper's momentum for no reason, they could have definitely done some stuff with Luke as well.

This is an example of the campy stuff that should never happen in WWE because they're just not willing to push this stuff to where it should go. If you're doing a "House of Horrors" match, there needs to be more than just baby dolls with missing limbs hanging from the ceiling in a run-down shack. There should be gore, mindfucks, fire, people literally trying to kill each other. In other words, there's not enough creative freedom to let stuff like this truly thrive. I doubt even children found this anything but silly.

I don't think Harper was in a position to be battling for the WWE title match at Wrestlemania so I'm not totally in agreeance with this one. However, I definitely think Harper should have...

been the one to win the Battle Royal. He was in a good spot to actually go somewhere coming off of his program with Bray and Orton, and while winning the Battle Royal may not be some golden ticket to superstardom, it would have at least kept his momentum on a high coming out of Mania. And yeah, Mojo winning was bad and ensured that the ATGBR was likely to be viewed as little more than a cluster used for nothing more than to get everybody on the roster a Mania spot in the future.

3. Bayley's Booking

Not much to say but agree. Also, this should have been number one.

Totally disagree. It was controversial, but for fuck sakes this is wrestling. The name of the game for a heel is to get heat and just about anything and everything is fair game when it comes to achieving that goal. The ending got heat on Carmella and Ellsworth. Period. Wrestling fans constantly complain that WWE's too PC but look what happens at the tiniest bit of controversy. I can understand why there are no risks taken and everything is so safe and boring nowadays.

I honestly don't see a problem with this. Reigns vs Taker was going to happen regardless so to me personally, it doesn't matter whether it headlined or opened the show. It wasn't like the HHH/Reigns or even Brock/Reigns scenario where people legitimately didn't want to see Roman in that spot. Fans seemed genuinely interested in this program and you could argue it was a better main event than Brock/Goldberg would have been.

@ODYK: Like I said, I think Mark put together a solid list; there may have been a few things I disagreed with, but that's his right. We as wrestling fans all have a right to think differently.

Totally disagree. It was controversial, but for fuck sakes this is wrestling. The name of the game for a heel is to get heat and just about anything and everything is fair game when it comes to achieving that goal. The ending got heat on Carmella and Ellsworth. Period. Wrestling fans constantly complain that WWE's too PC but look what happens at the tiniest bit of controversy. I can understand why there are no risks taken and everything is so safe and boring nowadays.

It was only so bad because they scream "women's revolution" and talk about history being made every five seconds.

EDIT: Forgot to point out that Reigns didn't end the streak, that honor goes to Brock Lesnar.

Eh he ended the second streak from 31-32. Close enough. :lmao:

Pretty much this. The funny part most of this could have been rectified if WWE just did booking 101.

Things like Bayley winning the Title on Free TV when common logic tells you she should win it at WM.

I have another list but I want to make a new topic some other time.

Interesting list. Inevitably all sorts of other things will get brought up in other posts so I'll just stick to the list from the opening post and address the issues from that list.

Goldberg as Universal Champion

This was stupid. The Brock VS Goldberg rematch did NOT need the top prize of Raw to be on the line. The history between the two was more than enough. Both out-of-character surely wanted to redeem themselves of the abysmal match they had at Wrestlemania 20. Goldberg shocked the world with his win at Survivor Series last year. Brock wants revenge. There's your angle to create the match with. Adding the Universal Championship was a horrible decision and arguably one of the worst booking decisions of the year so far since it led to yet another Lesnar holding the title hostage situation. They should have kept Goldberg VS Brock as a non-title feud while Jericho and Owens should have been for the Universal Championship AND the United States Championship, not a unification but more like what Seth and Cena did at Summerslam 2015.

Dean Ambrose as Intercontinental Champion

Why is this such a bad idea? I like Ambrose, but with Raw being as stacked as it is with bigger names, this was the right place for him. Seth, on the other hand, is way above the Intercontinental Championship. His rumored feud with Miz has me much more concerned than Dean in this spot did.

American Alpha disappears

Yeah, this was weird. I don't see why they could not be feuding with another team while others were getting title shots against The Usos. I agree that they should have been used more and in a better way. If the rumors are true and they are testing out a Gable solo run then I do think it could possibly lead to great things for Gable.... but where does it leave Jordan? He could work with Tye, I guess. They teamed for a bit in NXT. Jordan will get lost in the shuffle if they split. I'd rather they be still a team. A move to Raw so that Angle can manage them would be excellent for them.

Splitting up the Wyatts

I haven't agreed with this any time that it has happened, yet WWE keep splitting them back up each time the faction reforms. I will admit to having been wrong about Strowman. He's a bigger deal now than he ever would have been as Bray's enforcer. The other two.... Not so much. I don't get what people see in Harper when I read other posts about him. Sure, he's ok in the ring, but that's it. His entrance music is literally painful to listen to. Seriously. It's fingernails on the chalkboard levels of awful. His promos aren't great. I have always liked Rowan better and I know I am in the minority there. Rowan clearly is not going to get a chance on his own, so he and Harper should team up. Either put them back as Bray's underlings (which is NOT a bad thing!) or have them team with their own agenda. If they do team, they should use Rowan's music or a new song. Not that horrendous garbage that Harper has.

House Of Horrors

The thing with this match is that no one knew what to expect. This means it would have been next to impossible for it to live up to the hype. I personally liked the filmed portion. I agree a bit with those who would have wanted WWE to turn it up a notch and add more of an edgy feel to this part of the match, but I was fine with it. I want to see more of this kind of stuff. The in-ring portion was what made it stupid. How did Orton get back? Due to how the in-ring portion was handled I find myself in the group who do not want to see this match come back. More segments such as the filmed portion of this match would be welcomed to me at least.

Mojo Rawley Wins the Andre The Giant Battle Royal

This was very stupid because it proves that the Andre Battle Royal means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Seriously. What did Mojo do to earn this? Is it because he may be friends in real life with that celebrity who got involved with the match? Who cares!? I am here to see wrestling. Not annoying celebrities. Jinder winning would have helped him seem slightly more believable in his big push, which does need to be on the list in my opinion. This match is a joke and it's only good for getting everyone else onto the card. Winning it does not mean a single thing. Mojo ruined what little importance the match may have had left.

Bayley's booking

Ok, this is towards the top of the list for me. Yes, I am a Bayley fan. However, her main roster run has been handled very badly. Why would they have her end Charlotte's PPV Streak at the most insignificant show of the year? No one cares about Fastlane. It is a show that shouldn't even exist. Yet this event is where they had Bayley end Charlotte's overhyped PPV winning Streak. Let's not forget the random title win. They could have created the biggest moment of Bayley's career by having her end Charlotte's Streak AND win the Raw Women's Championship at the same time at Wrestlemania 33. That ship has now sailed and they ruined it. The women's division on the red brand as a whole has at least improved with the addition of Alexa as the top star. The much talked about feud with a heel Sasha could help Bayley get back on track, however I am unsure if they will ever be able to fix this. They do need to keep her face. I support her decision to go against turning heel, she has the nicest and most honorable character on the whole show. Kids love her. Why ruin that? Then again, look at how they handled her title win. Stranger things have happened.

Women's Money In The Bank Ladder Match

Oh goodness, where do I even start with this? This had enormous potential. Ellsworth destroyed the original match and it was so bad that they had to do it all over again on Smackdown. The second match, in its defense, was MUCH better. Carmella won the way she should have the first time around. I don't have an issue with Carmella winning. Tamina would have been a lot worse. As much as I would have liked to see Becky or even Charlotte win, Carmella winning is fine. It was how they handled the PPV match that really made me angry. Why, in a match that is a first amongst the WOMEN, would they have a MAN climb up and HAND the briefcase to one of the female competitors? Antics by heel managers like Ellsworth absolutely has its place, just not in this kind of match. It is the single worst booking decision of the year so far for me. Thank goodness the second match was so much better.

Roman Reigns main events third consecutive Wrestlemania

This one isn't as big of a deal for me. My problem is the same one many others have. I do not want to see Roman Reigns as "THE" top guy. Vince for whatever reason is obsessed, to a seemingly unhealthy level, with the idea of Roman Reigns being the successor to John Cena as the federation's undisputed #1 guy. When will they get it through their heads that the fans are not going to accept this? Reigns will never be a Cena-type. He is perfect for a role like Batista and Lashley had. Let him be a big monster who is out to guard "his yard". It allows him to what he's already doing, while others like Rollins or Balor who the fans actually do like can get the chance to be the #1 guy. As for main eventing Wrestlemania.... They made the right call. If it was Undertaker's last match then it was better to have this close. The only other options would have been Brock abducting the Universal Championship or Randy Orton dealing with Bray summoning bugs into the ring. Both would have been worse options for closing this show.

Interesting list. Inevitably all sorts of other things will get brought up in other posts so I'll just stick to the list from the opening post and address the issues from that list.

This was stupid. The Brock VS Goldberg rematch did NOT need the top prize of Raw to be on the line. The history between the two was more than enough. Both out-of-character surely wanted to redeem themselves of the abysmal match they had at Wrestlemania 20. Goldberg shocked the world with his win at Survivor Series last year. Brock wants revenge. There's your angle to create the match with. Adding the Universal Championship was a horrible decision and arguably one of the worst booking decisions of the year so far since it led to yet another Lesnar holding the title hostage situation. They should have kept Goldberg VS Brock as a non-title feud while Jericho and Owens should have been for the Universal Championship AND the United States Championship, not a unification but more like what Seth and Cena did at Summerslam 2015.

My take on Goldberg winning the Universal Title is that my feeling of this would have depended on how the overall card of Wrestlemania is constructed.

What we got was Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar for the Universal Title and Wyatt vs. Orton for the WWE Title.

The combination of having the RAW title match revolving around two part timers and the Smackdown title match revolving around someone whose time in the top spot has past (Orton) and a defending champion whose in his first title win, in his first title defense after a 40 day reign and winning it in a multi-man match felt like a weak combination.

So you have one title match between two part time guys and another one lacking in credibility.

If we had AJ Styles vs. John Cena or Randy Orton as the SD Title Match I would have been fine with Goldberg vs. Lesnar as the title match.

As for Owens vs. Jericho, not sure if would have made a strong RAW title match but if they could insert a third guy (even Roman Reigns) it would have worked.

The better scenario I have is Orton vs. Styles for the WWE Title (if WWE really wants Cena in a mixed tag match) and Reigns vs. Taker with Reigns as The Universal Champion and the match being a title vs. career match (raising the stakes in their match up).

Then Goldberg vs. Lesnar could have been a non title bout.

I was a fan of the original finish. I'm not going to say the match was boring, because it's hard to find a boring ladder match. It was short though and no one girl had time to build momentum. When Ellsworth started to climb the ladder, the crowd erupted. It was the most over moment of not only the entire match, but the entire build as well.

The women's division on Smackdown is so stale right now that Naomi is defending her glow in the dark title in 30 second squash matches while the rest of the women fight in multiman matches to give her a contender. As is stands, she won't be defending her title at Battleground. Carmella winning in the fashion she did could have been a shot in the arm, but nope. We made someone mad so we gotta do it over.

I'm not asking for a return to the AE, I don't need constant blood and cursing and boobs, but a lot of people want the AE back but freak when someone shows some attitude. I think it was Heyman who said that during the Punk/Taker Wrestlemania feud and he hit the nail on the head.

Generally speaking, a lot of the picks in this guy's article comes across as the usual, 100% subjective rantings you'd find in any internet forum.

For instance, while this is totally subjective, I agree with Goldberg winning the Universal Championship. I'm not a fan of the guy, I fully embrace and am proud of it, but I also felt that there was no need to put the title on him other than for adding to the nostalgia of the whole thing.

As far as Ambrose winning the IC title, I didn't hate it or even dislike it. While I would have preferred that Miz never lost it in the first place, Ambrose is a talented guy and one of the most over babyfaces on the roster.

American Alpha is an unfortunate happening that didn't surprise me in that they got lost in the shuffle during WrestleMania season. It's happened before and it'll happen again. Few things would make me happier than to see WWE get them back on track.

I always liked the Wyatt Family, but I don't see the point on keeping them together just for the sake of them being together. Bray Wyatt is someone who has been hovering on the cusp of greatness for a long time but, for whatever reason, Vince simply has not pulled the trigger with him.

The House of Horrors, to me, is one of those things that probably sounded good on paper was didn't pan out in execution. I give them credit for thinking outside the box, but Vince puts way too many limits on creative for something like the House of Horrors to even remotely come close to reach its potential. The whole concept was basically two guys fighting on the set of a horror movie and there's no such thing as a scary PG rated horror movie.

I like Luke Harper, always have, but I don't feel this should even be in consideration for this list. Harper is a good hand, I don't mean that in a condescending way whatsoever, but there are a lot of guys on the blue brand that easily bring as much, usually more, to the table as Harper.

As far as Mojo Rawley winning the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal, again I just don't see why this is on here. It's been obvious since day 1 that the battle royal is ultimately nothing more than a tool to give lower and mid-card stars a means to take part in WrestleMania, the biggest payday of the year. In this situation, along with many others, WWE is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't in that while some fans consider the battle royal a waste of time, it's fair to say that some of those same fans would criticize WWE for not putting all those guys on the show. Before the battle royal was made part of the event, some fans were doing exactly that while complaining about the presence of the part timers.

As far as Bayley goes, I agree that she hasn't been used in the best of ways. To me, she seems like another example of someone or something Vince and Triple H have had different visions for. At the end of the day, however, there's nothing wrong with Bayley that can't be fixed with 3 or 4 weeks of solid booking. Whenever internet fans see someone embraced by so many of them not being used to their satisfaction, we have a tendency to grossly exaggerate how bad it is and make proclamations of doom and gloom.

I enjoyed the ending to the 1st women's MITB match because it generated a lot of buzz and put a ton of heat on Carmella. While this may not be a sentiment shared by some, I believe that WWE hoped the original ending would generate exactly that sort of response; showing the Tweets from Bryan and Shane almost immediately after the match ended struck me that this was all planned and that it'd result in some sort of rematch. The rematch happened, Carmella won, her heat is still in tact. My biggest complaint was that the match was too short.

Roman Reigns main eventing his third consecutive WrestleMania sounds truly, 100% like the rantings of a true internet fan. I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but he has grown on me over the past few months. In the post WrestleMania season, Reigns has impressed me with doing some genuinely good work with Strowman and Samoa Joe; he seems much more comfortable now that he's not trying to act like a super nice guy who delivers a sermon every time he gets on the mic like John Cena.

Didnt need title but Goldberg was more over then 95% of roster so they gambled like with Rock when he took the title off Punk. Only other guy was Owens and we all knew he was transitional thing.

Eh, there are worst Champs out there. For example Ginger Indian Roid Rage who didnt even make a list.

This one simply falls to category of weak tag team division on Smackdown. Even if they did have match dont think that Breezango vs American Alpha would draw attention a lot.

Orton has a history of breaking stables so it was kinda expected.

That was dreadful and who came out with that without any plan at all should be fired.

In no scenario would Harper go near that title. He wa just there to pass time until Orton/Wyatt

What do you know ARMBAR means nothing? But I could swear Cesaro did go to great lenghts when he won it. (sarcasm intensifies)

3. Bayley's Booking
Some make it and some dont. People expect from Wrestler A to be great based on developmental work. It takes time and lots of them dont adapt well. Booking was lackluster. But dont think it would help if she would start losing from Sasha, Nia and Charlotte(that was entire division at the time not counting likes of Dana Brooke) and to win after a year. If anything IWC would complain how she is "buried".

Eh, finish is fine for heat purposes. My only problem is Carmella and Elsworth. And yes, man winning first women MiTB. They had to know it would backfire with all those SJWs out there. Though they maybe did count on that.

Undertakers probably last match. At least this time its kinda justified. Only other match could be Goldberg vs Lesnar. And dont think anyone from IWC wanted that last.

This was a pointless run. Goldberg works without the title, as does the Lesnar/Goldberg feud. KO vs Jericho should have been for both belts. Goldberg as champ would have been infinitely better if it mattered, as in a full time talent could have used it (KO, Rollins, even Reigns).

The problem with Dean Ambrose is us IWC fans want Jon Moxley. Even the FCW Ambrose or the Shield Ambrose. Instead we get a for the kids act who's been repeating the same angle for the last 7 months plus.

This booking is baffling. There's way too much going on with faces in SD's tag division. They have no idea what they're doing with these guys. Meanwhile Hypebros have an angle where tension is building. Mojo doesn't have nearly as much talent as Gable's towel. Jordan has been MIA except the July 4 battle royal, at least Gable as been hovering around the US title.

Harper and Rowan should be a tag team right now, it's bizarre they're not unless they're not getting along. Rowan needs Harper more than vice versa. WWE has been on a tag team splitting tear lately. Let these guys reunite. Bray is fine without them.

Match was pointless, as was Randy's title win. The title not being on the line made the outcome predictable and truthfully an in arena hardcore match would have been infinitely better and gone over with the live crowd. I doubt we see another one of these.

Who did he piss off? He seemed poised for a midcard push around Mania, then fell off the face of the earth. If they're not going to do anything with him, he should be in a tag team with Rowan.

Jinder should have won and that should have began his push.

3: Bayley's booking
Another baffling thing. Coming out first at Mania, then being fed to Bliss. She's connected with fans, but they've decided she hasn't. I'm torn, Personally I think she was pushed to the top too soon to begin with. She also suffers from Raw's relatively weak heel division. Below Bliss is Emma and Naya, and they haven't been made to be threats. Naya is particularly stale. The whole Raw women's division needs a facelift.

I don't see this as a worst. I thought it was fine, although I would have booked a more clear rival for Carmella coming out of the match.

1. The Andre the Giant Battle Royal
I see people wanting this to function as KOTR did in the 90s until Lesnar in 02. That event got cancelled because it pigeon holes creative. The title and trophy is just a formalization of the already annual WrestleMania battle royal. MITB is really the new thing that pushes someone to the top, this is just a prize for beating the other people that failed to make the card.

Agree, this was stupid. Goldberg holding it (while a good visual) was just a waste fo a title reign and all it did was get it on another part timer. it would've been better to either put it on Reigns or leave it on Owens and had THEM feud for the title.
i dont think it was a bad idea at first. it had it's potential, but sadly, the title run was forgetable and just didnt help Amborse's character develop like they likely hoped. Ambrose is too much of a jokester on the mic and comes off as a bad guy that the kids love because (in their view) he's funny. Ambrose needs a heel turn in the worst way. i think it should happen soon.
American Alpha disappears
Weird and stupid.....Smackdown booked American Alpha very badly which is saying something. Alpha needs a switch to RAW in the worst way and honestly, i wish that Anderson and Gallows moved to SD. the move would do two things 1) give RAW a face tag team besides the Hardys and 2) give SD another heel team besides Usos and Ascension.
Splitting up the Wyatts
Agree, another bad idea. Bray Wyatt is best used as a cult leader type of character. his character is best with guys behind him. he's not good acting like a oddball monster type, he's better used as a cult leader who gets guys to follow him. so agree here.
House Of Horrors
i didnt hate the match honestly, it wasnt a great match, but it was ok for what it was.
Mojo Rawley Wins the Andre The Giant Battle Royal
i hate this for many reasons...1) Mojo is NOT a good singles competitor, he's best used in a tag team with Ryder. can Ryder thrive on his own, yes, but Mojo will be lost in the shuffle....2) Jinder Mahal (who later became WWE World Champion) was in this match and was eliminated by Mojo (if i'm right)....3) Sami Zayn was in this match too!! the trophy should've went to someone who has potential as a singles star on the main roster.
Bayley's booking
Agree just bad booking for her. Bayley has potential and still does, but she was booked badly...my biggest issue was how she won her championship, why did Sasha get involved?? unlike Alberto El Patron (who gave up his title shot without the promise of a re-match), Bayley was told she'd get a re-match, she should've vacated the title and then won it either there or at WM (i would've waited till WM and had Charlotte win by DQ or something)
Women's Money In The Bank Ladder Match
i didnt hate the ending since it made sense...it was fine for what it was and then later James Ellsworth did get his just due. i was fine with it. the only thing i hated about this was them giving the match on SD for free.
Roman Reigns main events third consecutive Wrestlemania
This wasnt a huge issue for me, was i happy about it, no...but i hated it only because of the Goldberg and Brock Lesnar fight for the Universial title earlier. if that match wasnt for the title, while the main event or even Owens vs. Jericho was, then i would've been fine with Roman Reigns in the main event because either he would be the champon (or challenger) or the Universial title match would've been so good that the fans wouldnt have cared that Reigns is main eventing.

I read your whole post and i thought it would be far to give a counter point to your top 10, so here we go

Opinion: Here's my deal with part-timers, if you want to put a top belt on them; have them hold it for only a few weeks, a couple of months if you want to, then have them drop the belt to something younger or a more full-time star. That's this reign in a nut-shell, he did everything he was supposed to with the belt and at the end of the day; that's all that matters.

This one is kinda to easy to make an argument for the booking decision. They started the universal championship because of the brand split and gave it to Finn Balor, he got injured so they had to regroup and give to kevin owens which at this point was teaming with Jericho in a somewhat comedy angle. So they go to this other direction one week with HHH giveing the belt to Owens only to drop the whole thing the following week and continue the comedy stuff and the bad booking of Owens for the rest of the year going into 2017.

Meanwhile, Goldberg comes back and generate a lot of buzz and money for the company. So the company realise how much of a joke the universal title had become with Owens as champion decided to give the belt a little luster and give the belt to a guy that had star power in Goldberg who then Drop it to Lesnar the following month and let's face it, while Lesnar hasn't been present as much as he should, he still did more to elevate the Universal title as a world title then owens or Finn would have. This was a good move by WWE because they needed something for fans to take the title seriously as a world title and Having Goldberg and Lesnar get the belt will help the belt and whoever beat lesnar.

Opinion: I actually think 2017 has been Ambrose's worst year to date, and see; I like him. He's had a very successful career for himself and when he's good; he's really good. But ever since his WWE title run came to an end, it feels like that he thinks he's done everything he can in WWE and doesn't feel as much of an urge to give too much effort. Even his promos have lost a lot of their bite. Yes, maybe Creative could do a little better working on his gimmick; but at the end of the day, the problem with Dean Ambrose is Dean Ambrose.

The thing with Ambrose is that sadly, he didn't change is act at all since the shield break up. It's always been the same match over and over again and it's starting to be boring, personally i think that 2017 has been pretty much the same year as any other year for ambrose. The guy wins a championship, nobody cares about the fact that he won or his the champ and he continue the same old boring routine. That's Dean ambrose and he's the only one that can change is fate at this point.

Opinion: I don't believe that counts as a booking error, it feels more like one of those situations where creative had nothing for them. Regardless, it is nice to see American Alpha back on TV again, why they were gone in the first place; we may never truly know

I think the problem with American Alpha is pretty much the same thing that happens to a lot of NXT acts, They get the initial ''o my god'' pop when they start, are over for a couple of months and then the honeymoon period is over and fans stop caring. They're title reign was a total flop and hurt them more then help them, so they lost the belt and then vanished because right now because while talented they didn'T connect with the mainstream audience so they need to find a way to connect if they want to get back on tv.

Opinion: Honestly, it feels like a no-win situation. On one hand, yeah; without followers to help Wyatt's cause, his gimmick feels a little silly. How are you going to be a cult-leader if you don't have a cult to follow? On the other hand, yeah; they were kind of deadweight for Bray. Not just the first time around, but also the second and third time around. But it isn't all bad. Braun's proven that with the right booking, he can be a major player in WWE. Erick though...I don't know, he always seemed rather generic to me. Luke Harper? We'll get to him later.

At this point, you split the Wyatt up or not doesn'T really make a difference, the gimmick as been dead for a while anyway. Yes Bray's entrance is still over but that's kind it right now because they booked the gimmick so badly since their start on the main roster that fans don't believe anything they said anymore. In the long run, i think that this might be a blessing for Harper more then rowan because while now, they don't book Harper on t.v.( probably because he'S doing promotion for his indy film mohawk), he might get some kind of spotlight in the midcard when he's not split between promotion for the film and wwe

Opinion: I actually liked it. To me, this was one of those moments in wrestling where you simply had to turn off your brain and see where the action leads. Yes, there were moments that were a bit weird like Orton being trapped in a refrigerator of all things; but overall, I thought it was...different from what we're used to seeing.

All i have to say about that is, they promoted the match before deciding to split them up, they probably had a better idea of what they wanted to do with this and change it last minute when all the plans changed and that this is pretty much what you can expect if they decided to bring the broken universe to wwe.

Opinion: This was a bit of a head-scratcher for me as well. What happened to Luke? Am I saying he would have won the WWE title at WrestleMania? No, anyway you sliced it, it was going to be Randy Orton. But the omission of Luke was really confusing to me? Were they getting cold feet beforehand or something? Did Luke decide not to go through with it? Was this a last second decision? Who knows? But it was still a surprising and rather confusing move on WWE's part.

I think again this wasn't the original plans and the shakeup change a lot of those plans in my opinion. I also think that maybe they kinda knew that Harper would be full time with WWE after mania so they decided to just use him to advance the orton/wyatt angle for mania instead of putting him in it. I'm not saying that they made the right decision, but the matches wouldn't have been that much better with Harper in it.

Opinion: There are two points I can make to debunk the idea that Mojo could have received a push.

1. The Andre the Giant Battle Royal is not a push-starter. Yes, you can point to Cesaro; but that was aborted after a few months, Out of the four people that won the battle royal, Baron Corbin is the only one to actually receive a push; and even then, he came up from NXT to do it and it still took a little bit of time to get going.

And 2. It's likely he won to give a face a win. This is classic booking 101, if you have a face or a heel in a match, and that match is on the pre-show; you are supposed to choose whether or not you want the heel or the face to win. By choosing the face to win, you are pumping the crowd up for more exciting things to come. Could you follow it up? If you wanted to, yes. But at the end of the day, Mojo Rawley got his WrestleMania moment and good for him. Even if he never wins again; he'll never lose that moment.

I kinda agree with what you said, but i think that the fact that the battle royal was aired on USA this year was a huge part of the decision for giving it to Mojo since he had connection to whoever that football player was and it gave them a lot of mainstream publicity out of it. So to say it was a bad booking decision make no sense because in the end it give them publicity. Don't forget that this isn't a wrestling company but a publicly traded company

3. Bayley's Booking
Opinion: I think we all have talked about this before, but if anyone is new; here are the cliff-notes.

Bayley isn't being used as well as thought in the main roster, members of the IWC aren't happy about it, we here at WrestleZone concluded that she'll likely be fine in the grand scheme of things.

This is relatively familiar territory for me, I've mentioned before Bayley is at where wrestlers will inevitably go to at some point of their career. The proverbial crossroads, she's got to make a decision whether or not to evolve her character or keep going with what works. She's mentioned wanting to turn heel, but deciding to back out at the last moment because of her fans, whether that's good or bad is up to you.

But we've talked long enough about how the others feel, let's talk about me. What do I think about the whole situation?

Honestly; as much blame as I can give the WWE for booking her, when you think about it; Bayley isn't all that innocent herself. Different crime, yes; but still not that innocent.

Yes, some of the stuff WWE have given her is not the best. But at the end of the day, the best wrestlers have to find a way to make it work. Basically, you have to turn chickenshit into chicken salad. And if you don't have the charisma or mic ability to pull it off, then you may be in trouble. And judging from what I've seen, outside from a few choice moments; Bayley is only decent in the mic. She's come off as awkward, boring and doesn't seem to work big crowds at all.

Again; the stuff WWE has given her is not all great, but the way it's received is on the performer. Take Breezango for example, they were jobbers for a little while until WWE decided to give them the gimmick of fashion police. Now? They're practically the second most over tag team on SmackDown, the reason for this? They are naturally funny and good on the mic, they can grab your attention and get you interested. That's why their so popular.

If you have a bad script and you are only at best decent on the mic and at worst stilted and wooden, then you're screwed. I don't know what else to tell you, you're going to have to bite the bullet.

But there's another thing I have to discuss; the author called her interview with Corey the death knell. To put it simply, I disagree. I actually think she's in a better position now than she was after Extreme Rules.

Look at what she's done after the interview, she helped clean house against the heels in her division, she got the most offense out of any women not named Sasha Banks and she pinned the women's champion. Granted it was by roll-up but nine times out of ten, that's a sign that company has hopes for you. And yes, you can point to the fact that she only lasted around three minutes in the gauntlet match and that in the last match they had with Jax and Bliss, she was thrown out early because of a knee strike. (Which I personally think was an accident and that Nia might have been a little too stiff on her) But those are minor details when you look at them.

In conclusion: Am I saying things are perfect for Bayley? No, not even close. But can we at least agree what she's doing now is sort of a step in the right direction?

Opinion: Not gonna lie; I liked the finish. It was very creative and it helped give Carmella a world of heat. If that's what they were going for, i'd say it was a good day in the booking office.

On that note; I have to give credit where it's due. The second time around was in fact miles better than the first one.

Nothing to add here, Bayley is a kid friendly character which really doesn't fit with the rest of the women'S roster. The fact that she is on raw instead of smackdown played a huge factor in what they did with her as well.

Opinion: I can't see that much of a problem all things considered. John Cena and Hulk Hogan main evented WrestleMania so many times it's impossible to count. At the end of the day, if Roman is going to be the top-dog of WWE; you might as well have him main event a ton of WrestleManias. But I think what upset people was that if this was going to be Taker's last match, they could have gone for John Cena vs The Undertaker. Which, I will admit I would have loved to see.

But here's the deal: It happened. You can argue whether or not it was the right call, but it won't change the fact that it happened.

Coupled by the fact that Taker wanted to put over an up and comer on his way out and there goes the hope for a dream match. And honestly, I have a feeling that if it was anyone other than Roman; they too would be shat on by the audience, not as much as Roman, but still shat on. Taker is basically a legend, no matter what he does; he'll be cheered for years upon end.

In the end: This was the story they went for, you can argue over it, you can talk about whether it was good or bad, but you can't change the past. Once it's done, it's done. All you can do is hope that tomorrow is better.

I think that it's time for the fans to get over this we have to hate reigns thing and they're thinking that he doesn't deserve this push. The fact is their, how of everybody on the roster right now, he's the most over guy in the company. So the decision of having i'm main event mania made sense and was a good one in my opinion. You could have done the dream match between Cena and Taker, kinda like they could have done the taker/sting match 2 years ago, but they opted to think about the future of the company for once instead of a one day payday. Reigns is the future of the company, he's proven himself to be a really strong performer in the last year and having him against taker at mania was probably the best decision WWE made all year even if a section of the fans don't think so.

In the end, i think that Their not really any bad WWE booking decision but more how fans see to decisions. We like as fan to ''arm chair quarterback'' and give your opinion without really understanding how anything is backstage. We think of WWE as a wrestling company like ROH or GFW or any other wrestling company on the planet is but the sad truth is that it's not a wrestling company, it's bigger then that and it the pressure they have to try and please everybody is hard sometimes. One of the main problem is that a lot of wrestlers seems happy to just have a job and are scared to take a chance and prove they deserve the spot they are in. That's what's happening with guys like ambrose and ziggler and a lot of others midcard guys, they coast and just do what they are told. If You look at the guys that are getting the big push, the rollins, reigns, aj styles kevin owens just to name those guys. They don't coast on their talents, they go out their and prove to vince that they deserve the spot they are in everyday. The final word as always been Vince mcmahon, but it always been said even to this day that if somebody wasn't happy with their directions just go see vince with a way to fix it and if it's a good idea, he will let you try it. You have to have the balls to proves you deserve to get push. Fans don't get that. Sorry for rambling, but while i think fans see those idea and others as bad booking decisions, i see them more as the talents letting them happening because in the end, they are as much responsible for what happens as the company are.

i dont think it was a bad idea at first. it had it's potential, but sadly, the title run was forgetable and just didnt help Amborse's character develop like they likely hoped. Ambrose is too much of a jokester on the mic and comes off as a bad guy that the kids love because (in their view) he's funny. Ambrose needs a heel turn in the worst way. i think it should happen soon.

Remember he's just following Creative's order.

Look up some of his stuff prior to WWE.

It shows you just how much WWE holds back their wrestlers.

Ambrose gets a lot of hate for being goofy, but people forget he's told to be that way.

I am going to have fault your logic here....
You say its good as long as he drops into a younger of more full time star.....the problem is he really didnt
Yes Technically Brock is younger than Goldberg....but so is EVERYBODY on the roster....and as to Brock being more Full time....not really....It went from one old part timer to another Oldish part timer....Nothing was really gained other than getting a supposed Brock Pop to raitings

Remember he's just following Creative's order.

Look up some of his stuff prior to WWE.

It shows you just how much WWE holds back their wrestlers.

Ambrose gets a lot of hate for being goofy, but people forget he's told to be that way.

I was high on him in his early days of the Shield. He had this edge to him and did some amazing mic work and was good in the ring.

However little by little he became more of a goof and the qualities he had early on are long gone.

Here are my Top 10 Worst booking decisions of 2017

1) Cena beating Styles only to lose the belt before Wrestlemania. Styles should've held the belt and dropped it to Wyatt (He should've won the Rumble) at Mania.
2) Breaking up the Wyatt Family. Bray is lost as a solo act. Time to put the band back together and back on Smackdown where they can be dominant. (Bray, Harper, Rowan, and Stroman). Bray could be used as more of a manager/special attraction match. Stroman could have a dominant run as champion on the Blue brand.
3) American Alpha disappearance. Tag Team wrestling was finally starting to look solid in WWE again and these 2 were near the top of the class and then can't even get time on Smackdown? Really?
4) Jinder winning the World Title. He needed more of a slow build. Putting the US Title on him for awhile would have made much more sense.
5) Having Reigns vs. Taker end Wrestlemania. If the Word Titles are the most important then you have one of them close the show. I get the importance of this match but the winner of the Rumble is supposed to Main Event Wrestlemania.
6) Bayley's push then non-push on Raw. They are seriously dropping the ball with the female version of Cena.
7) Moving Miz & Ambrose to Raw and then re-starting an old feud. Seriously give your fans something fresh. (Also Baron Corbin should've won the I-C title at Mania).
8) I'm fine with the Goldberg vs. Lesnar feud as it was compelling but leaving the Title on Brock again for awhile when he doesn't even appear at PPV's? You want to treat him like a special attraction then just make sure he defends at every Raw PPV. Fans would be ok with that I think.
9) Mishandling of many talents most recently Austin Aries (should've had him win the Cruiserweight Title and move Neville on to one of the main rosters). Now you've lost a solid talent. And what happened to Mickie James???
10) The Orton/Wyatt Saga. Should've been drawn out till a match at Summerslam. Way to rushed.

I was high on him in his early days of the Shield. He had this edge to him and did some amazing mic work and was good in the ring.

However little by little he became more of a goof and the qualities he had early on are long gone.

But that's not Ambrose's fault. They tell him to be goofy. There's no reason to blame him for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back