An All Stars Game in English Football - Could It Work?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let's forget about the pain in the arse this would be to organise logistically in terms of getting players released, insurance and all that other shit. My question is very simple...

Could an All Star team of players in England, France, Germany and Spain be possible?

Think about how awesome it would be for players from each league to be hand picked to play for an All Star team to take on other All Star teams from across Europe. I know that this type of match happens frequently in the US and it has been quite successful in other sports, too.

I think it would be amazing to see this happen, if it possibly could. These matches would be bringing the best players in the world to perhaps even one mini-league to be able to show off the strengths of each of the main leagues on the continent.

Anyone else think they would enjoy this? And what players would you like to see?

That would be an amazing thing to witness, sure, but the Spanish league would dominate. I'd like to think Ronaldo and Messi would be able to play together and it would be magical.

The only problem is that some of these teams would be dominated by one or two teams. Even though Atletico won the league; none of their players would get in a Madrid/Barca select. PSG probably take all the spots in a potential starting Xi from France. Only Reus and Hummles would get near the Bayern team and perhaps Higuain would play for Juve but that's it.

The English league team would easily have the most clubs represented. At least 4 if not more that than which is great for the actual league but it kind of shows in Europe. If you were to do this excluding players in the Champions League then the English league is easily the best.

Spain would be the best followed by England, Germany, Italy and France. Would definitely be fun to watch this happen, just need some Qatari business men to sort this out...

It would probably have to come with additional stipulations. These three in particular;

1. Teams currently in the Champions League are exempt from having players selected for their All-Star Teams.

This is a crushing blow to star power, but a necessary one, if only because you're trying to pull this stuff off during their seasons, most likely. Unless you do that sweet spot in the transfer period between seasons. But then there's the World Cup and other Internationals...

2. Players selected for their National Teams at the time of the All-Star Games are exempt from participation.

That takes care of the International concerns. Onto the third;

3. Every All-Star Team must have at least one player representing each team in their Top Division.

Much like the Baseball All-Star Game, except you don't have mandatory participation. This prevents team dominance, especially if you're doing this mid-season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back