An additional maineventer?

911 JP

Love the sig!
So as everyone knows by now Edge was traded to Smackdown. He was traded because Smackdown doesnt have enough maineventers/ star power, so he was moved to the blue brand as an additional maineventer.

However after we found out who he was traded for, CM Punk, i began to think, ok Edge was moved to Smackdown so there is another maineventer, and now they trade CM Punk, a maineventer who was being used as a lower mid-card.

what was the point of Edge coming to Smackdown if CM Punk was going to Raw, it was a pointless trade, however it wouldnt have been if CM Punk stayed on Smackdown, then there would have been another Maineventer, they should have traded him for a useless superstar.:banghead:

What are your thoughts on this?

Because Edge was very stagnant on Raw. His heel turn was done suddenly and served no purpose, and no feud really stuck for him. He was around the main event, but never seemed liked a threat to win the title.

Smackdown is Edge's show. He immediately becomes a threat to win the World Title just showing up on Smackdown, because he's been a main event player on the show for so long. Edge and Smackdown just seem like a natural fit.

As for Punk, he really did everything he could possibly do on Smackdown. He had the feud of the year in 09 with Jeff Hardy, and had the hottest faction going with the SES. But once Serena was released, Punk lost steam, and the SES disbanded. Punk then was jobbed out to the Big Show in an awful feud, and was squashed by the Undertaker, twice within a month. Punk had become an afterthought on a show crowded with heels, and certainly wasn't in the main event picture.

CM Punk badly needs momentum, as he lost all of his on Smackdown. A fresh start on Raw with new feuds and new programs is the best thing for him. This was the right move. It will allow Punk to be elevated back to where he belongs, the main event.

I, for one, didn't understand it either. Besides the fact that Punk might be getting a little stale and old on Smackdown, I didn't see the point of moving him. The WWE's always bitching because they have low ratings on Smackdown. So they add a main eventer, but yet, take another out? Maybe its just for a fresh breath of air for both because they're careers had gotten so out of whack, lost in the shuffle, boring lately. I agree, it didn't make sense to take in a main eventer but take out another. Over time we'll probably see the good in this. Look, now we can have Punk/Bryan, Punk/Cena, Punk/Bourne, Punk/Triple H and then some. On Smackdown we could get feuds such as Edge/Christain, Edge/Swagger, Edge/Undertaker, Edge/Kane, Edge/Rey Mysterio, Edge/Alberto del Rio and more. In the long-run we'll all see this was the right move. Just trust the WWE.

Hasn't CM Punk talked shit to everyone who is important on SD already? Taker, Big Show, Mysterio, Kane.. Err.. I think the move is gonna benefit CM Punk just because there really wasn't anything else for him to do over there.

Edge is very blah to me. But SD needs all the star power it can get at this point. On Raw, Barrett/Cena takes up half the damn show, but what does SD have that is as strong? Eh. They will prolly find a way to put Edge back with Vickie.

I agree with lifestartsnow80.. While some may say that the trade was rather pointless---in terms of SD! getting more main eventers---it was actually a fantastic move made by the WWE.

First off, there's Edge. A guy that has gone through numerouse face and heel turns in the span of a year. There are times when he can be considered face, and there are times when he can be considered heel. However, in all his turns that were made, not one of them were entertaining in the least. My point, he was BORING and STALE. Nothing he did on Smackdown nor Raw was worth watching. His whole "SPEAR SPEAR SPEAR" thing turned out to be really redundant; hell, everything about him was redundant and not amusing in the leats.

Then you have Punk. One of the greatest heel workers in quite some time, in my opinion. Punk has phenomenal mic skills and better than average in-ring skills. Basically, overall good entertainment quality. However, his whole Straight Edge Society turned out to be really stale. Or in the very least, it made you loose alot of interest in it. It even got to the point where they were just jobbing to the Big Show. Big Show squashed the SES in practyically every situation, lowering the overall credibilty SES had established before hand.

So the solution? Switch the two. Edge goes to SD! with his tweener(-ish) "Getting rid of everything stupid" gimmick. And Cm Punk goes to Raw to re-establish himself as one of the greatest heels of this era. Both of these two have a chance to do so much more now that they are on the opposite brands as they have new possible opponents, new possible feuds, and more importantly, more possible entertainment.

I for one love the trade done by WWE and can't wait to see how things go...

Mister Awesome hit the nail on the head, both Edge and CM Punk had no real direction before the trade, it made perfect sense to flip flop the two.

Edge made somewhat of a splash when he debuted on Raw, spearing Randy Orton, but after that its like they didn't know what to do with him. He was put on team Raw for a while against Nexus and feuded with the gm but it always seemed as if he was on the backburner of Raw. One good thing that happened toward the end of Edge's Raw stay was the foundation was laid for his new face persona with "the fight against stupidity." Zack Ryder and the GM seemed like perfect candidates for Edge to test the waters with his new gimmick and I think he has got up and ran with it. Now he goes to Smackdown hopefully he will remain face for a while cause I feel heel Edge, "The Rated R Superstar" has ran its course and is not as effective in PG WWE.

CM Punk also grew a bit tiresome on SD. With the fall of the SES and all the jobbing to the Big Show moving to RAW is Deff a breathe of fresh air for Punk. CM Punk is very versatile and can be placed anywhere on the card if you ask me. Punk will give the RAW midcard a shot in the arm with feuds with the likes of Morrison, Truth and Daniel Bryan, until Raws Main Event scene becomes less crowded.

I deffinatley think it's a great trade for both shows and both superstars involved

The problem with this whole thing is that CM Punk was hardly a main eventer in the last 6 months period of his Smackdown tenure. He challenged for the championship once, which is something a mid-carder can do as well. He got practically jobbed out to Big Show for a few months, and he got to have a mid-card like feud with Rey Mysterio, who is hardly a main eventer either.

CM Punk hasn't truly shown any kind of main event stay since he lost the championship to Undertaker, and challenged for it once afterwards at Bragging Rights. So Smackdown isn't loosing a main eventer to the point where Edge's addition would keep the imbalance around. Besides Edge has far more star power than CM Punk, even if Punk was to be a main eventer right now.

Edge as a face is however the problem if you ask me. Sure I guess it's needed, but not on Smackdown. Smackdown is already lacking main event heel power. We have 1½ heel in the main event now, Kane and partially Jack Swagger. CM Punk at least gave Smackdown a bit of heel power. But not anymore, no more faces!

ill agree that both edge and cmpunk were pretty stale on their respective shows and thats why the switch was made.but ferbian here made a great point about the lack of heels on the smackdown roster.i think the solution will be putting alberto del rio in the main event sooner rather than later.but im sure about one thing though that edge did need to turn face.he had been heel for a looong time.

Another option is to possibly have The Miz cash in his MITB soon. The more I see it I can't think of Miz being in the picture when you have Punk, Sheamus, and Nexus as the top heels on the show.

Miz would be a perfect fit on Smackdown, feud with Edge perhaps leading to a WM main event match.

Punk has been Big Show's bitch for the past couple of months, so I'm happy about the move to Raw. Punk could be doing so much more. Having to watch him be constantly squashed by Big Show was painful. After this past Monday, Punk seems to be off to a good start, so I really don't see a problem with him being traded to Raw. It seems as if he's been given a fresh start on Raw, and I hope things continue to get better for him.

Besides Undertaker and Kane, Smackdown really doesn't have too many main event ready guys on the roster. Sure we might see Rey win the belt on a rare occasions, but there's a good chance he won't hold on to it for a long time. I don't see Swagger getting into the main event again for a long time, and there's a very slim chance Show will become World Heavyweight Champion. Edge was getting lost in the shuffle on Raw. There's just way too much stuff going on that show, but on Smackdown, Edge can have a shot at becoming world champion. Of course he's going to have to wait for the Undertaker/Kane feud to end, but once it does, I believe we will see Edge as World Heavyweight Champion again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back