AJ Styles is New TNA Global Champion

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
If you haven't seen iMPACT! yet, one of the first two members of Fortune , "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles beat now incumbent champion Rob Terry for the TNA Global Championship, making AJ a two-time TNA Global Champion in the process.

Fortune now has it's first taste of gold, though the stable is not yet complete.

38909_415170671025_31695961025_4757084_3622061_n.jpg

Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts – good or bad – on this.

i'm glad they took the belt off that buffoon RT but man that match was terrible. a championship match lasting only what, 5 minutes ??? cmon TNA !

I previously thought that they were going to do the Evolution route and have all four members (assuming there are four) win titles. Styles winning the Global Title isn't all that bad to me. It would have been more a shock if Desmond would have won it but nonetheless I'm fine with Styles having it. Makes me think that Beer Money is going to win the tag team titles back against MCMG. Gut feeling.

Firstly, IMO this is a step back (obviously) for AJ, though some might disagree. The way I see it....AJ should still be TNA World champion. He was having a good run and establishing himself.....not to mention RVD winning the title didn't really take TNA to any new heights....Meanwhile AJ would be such a great dominant heel still if he had never lost the belt. On the other hand, I'm kind of glad Terry doesn't have the strap anymore....He's got nothing but a physique to me. I don't see much else in the guy.

Anyway, does anyone else think that the name of the title is plain stupid??

The 'TNA Global Title'....like what in the hell is that? I mean the belt looks really coo....BUT There is a TNA World title...and a TNA 'Global' title?? It sounds like the same thing and just sounds asinine to me....Isn't the 'world' the same thing as 'the globe'?? Maybe it sounds stupid and I'm just over thinking it. Should be called the TNA Television Championship....and honestly the belt could have went to someone else who could use it like Desmond Wolfe (as the poster above me noted).

Im so glad that AJ is the new champ. Rob's run with the belt was awful he was barely on Tv so this is definitely a good thing. Hopefully with AJ has champ he can make the title actually mean something

AJ is global champ, Kaz will win X-Division title, Beer Money will win Tag Titles and be put into fortune and there ya go. British invasion will reform with Wolfe as the leader, Magnus/Williams tag team and Rob Terry as the muscle.

If you haven't seen iMPACT! yet, one of the first two members of Fortune , "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles beat now incumbent champion Rob Terry for the TNA Global Championship, making AJ a two-time TNA Global Champion in the process.

Fortune now has it's first taste of gold, though the stable is not yet complete.

Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts – good or bad – on this.

when the last time Rob Terry even defend the belt???? I don't remember when was the last time he defended the title because am thinkin 30 days was up and didnt defend the belt at all???

Just yesterday if someone would of asked me about the Global Tile the first thing I would of said was that it should be scrapped as a TNA title. It wasn't serving a purpose as any type of "jump off" belt such as the intercontinental title does on wwe and definitely wasn't getting Rob Terry over on impact due to him hardly ever appearing on the show. I do understand that he did on a number of occasions defend it on there British show TNA Explosion making the belt somewhat relevant over there.

After tonight i have new hope for this belt. AJ is a great choice...Fortune needs to have some gold and AJ is a guy that can look good defending it. He could bring the Global championship to regular pay per view status and could give him something to do while hes waiting for his next World Title run.

Some people would say this is a downgrade for AJ but i feel that that he was just the longest raining world champion and probably is going to have to wait a considerable amount of time before his next run. Giving him the Global Championship keeps him relevant and keeps him out of a crowded main event picture.

I'm glad that Styles won the belt even though it is a huge step down from being the world heavyweight champion to the global champion. I hope that the belt will actually mean something because it hasn't meant anything for the longest time. I didn't like the way Styles won the match, but at least it gives some credibility to Styles and Fortune. Rob Terry really hasn't done anything since he won the title besides have an abysmal feud with Orlando Jordan. I think Wolfe would have been a better contender for the title, but AJ should bring some credibility to the title once and for all.

I am very happy AJ won. I don't like Terry at all, & he was a horrible champion. He never defended the belt, & when he did the matches lasted about 3 minutes & were absolutely horrible. He's just not very good, & he's certainly not good enough to hold a title at this point. Maybe a tag title in the future, but not a singles title.

But I agree with another poster-they have to change the name of the title. How is global any different than world champion? Make it a TV title, or N. American title, or Continental title. There has to be a better name for the belt. They should definitely keep it as a mid-card title, but just give it a different name & make it mean something.

Honestly the belt to me is pointless. As we know it started as the Legends Championship with Booker T then progressed to the Global Title somehow. Since they have had meaningless champions like Eric Young and Rob Terry in attempts to make them relevant when really still no one gave a damn about them or the championship.

Obviously TNA wants it to be their top secondary championship much like the IC or US title in WWE. Ha, get it Intercontinental...Global.....ah Terry Taylor your a genious. But anyway if anyone could actually make a belt relevant in TNA its AJ Styles so maybe their plans will actually work to have the Global Championship means something but honestly I doubt that will happen. But with AJ winning it he continues to gain every TNA title and thats always good to see he is truly the face of TNA.

This makes AJ the first 2 time Global champion now, seeing as Legends Title reigns are included by TNA. Good stuff, with AJ actually being on screen each week and getting to defend the title often, the global belt might actually mean something. This is a good way to build up a midcard belt, so long as AJ has a decent reign (3 months+).

But I agree with another poster-they have to change the name of the title.
usually i would agree, but this title belt has already been re-named once. Even though there isnt much of a difference in names, i think we all know that the Global title is a title similar to the United States title or IC title in WWE.

As for AJ Styles winning the Global title, while i agree it is a little step down for AJ Styles, i think giving the title to a talent like AJ is great. Rob Terry and recent champions like Eric Young and Kevin Nash brought this title down. Styles can bring this belt back up again. he can have good matches to guys like Mr. Anderson, Jeff Hardy, Samoa Joe and others and then lose it some face and they can hold it for a bit. Rob Terry wasnt ready to hold a belt like this and he really was dull, in the ring and on the mic. Sometimes it was easy to forget about Rob Terry. Now that the title is on Styles, we will all know about the Global Championship more.

I disagree with some people's opinion that this is a step down for AJ. I don't think that AJ needs a belt to look good in the first place. The belt needs AJ to look good. Only good can come of this. AJ is AJ, we all know it, he'll ( hopefully ) elevate the title and maybe drop it to an up and coming or established face, who will then have a nice long reign with it and the ball will start rolling.

I just wish they'd change its darn name. What's the difference between "Global" and "World" Champion? No idea, that's beyond me. But I'm glad AJ won it.

Reactions: TLC
I think this was a good move on TNA's part. While it may be a big step back for A.J., it's a big leap for the title in terms of prestige and importance. If A.J. defends the title seriously and is involved in good feuds and matches with good workers (or at least makes workers look better) the stock of the title goes way up. I can see Rob Terry trying to get it back at first and A.J. kind of putting him over as best he can, but have A.J. come out as champion still. Then maybe have one or two significant feuds where his reign lasts two Pay-Per-Views at the most. Then they should have him drop it to Morgan or a mid-carder who needs something to do or something to get them more over. This would give the title and the person holding it a slight boost every time its defended in a meaningful way. As long as its treated as a significant title only good things can come out of this for the Title itself.

Am I the only one that does not like it that Rob Terry lost the Global Championship to AJ. He has defended the title a number of times but most have been squash matches. Those matches were against Homicide, Magnus, Orlando Jordan, and Tomko. He is large and agile. Was hoping for a champion vs champion down the line between Terry and RVD. He has not been booked to appear as much or go over as much sence Dreamer came in.

I preferred the name Legends Championship because the story of this title should always be about the "legend" Booker T creating this championship to message his ego. This championship's story is about wrestlers feeling that they deserve to be labled legends on a global stage (like a tv title with more meaning).

For all of you that ask what the difference between world championship and global champion the world championship defines greatness outside of the company. World title holders are recognize outside of the company by Wrestling Observer and other pubs while the global championship should be about seeing if guys have the ability to main event and rewarding the guy that can't yet be the top star.

I would love to sit in on TNA's creative meetings, assuming of course they actually have meetings. The last one seemed to go a little like this:
"Hey for the first in history one of our guys is #1 on the PWI top wrestlers. What should we do with him? I know! Let's give him the least credible championship we have! Genius!!"

Stupid Fuckin TNA

Although I believe Wolfe would have been a better fit, I'm still glad that AJ took the title from Rob. The guy has shown me nothing other than being a generic musclehead. I think AJ will bring some credibilty to the championship and actually make it worth fighting for. I'm interested to see how AJ's run plays out and who will he fued with for the title. Personally, I see the Pope fueding with AJ.

I think it is great. People will forget how much of a step back this is and how it is a useless title when he defends the title and starts having great matches with people he should be in the ring with. That belt will be looked at like the TV title from ECW mark my words.

How does one give credibility to a title? Oh yeah, by having credible champions! A buncha people are so quick to shoot it down. Sure it has a crappy history, but as time goes by it will only have a crappy beginning. Have faith in TNA, they've improved over the last few months. Once the promotion ceases to exist and the title lineage isn't any better, THEN you can shit on it. Or wait for the next few champions to determine as well.

Firstly, IMO this is a step back (obviously) for AJ, though some might disagree. The way I see it....AJ should still be TNA World champion. He was having a good run and establishing himself.....not to mention RVD winning the title didn't really take TNA to any new heights....Meanwhile AJ would be such a great dominant heel still if he had never lost the belt. On the other hand, I'm kind of glad Terry doesn't have the strap anymore....He's got nothing but a physique to me. I don't see much else in the guy.

Anyway, does anyone else think that the name of the title is plain stupid??

The 'TNA Global Title'....like what in the hell is that? I mean the belt looks really coo....BUT There is a TNA World title...and a TNA 'Global' title?? It sounds like the same thing and just sounds asinine to me....Isn't the 'world' the same thing as 'the globe'?? Maybe it sounds stupid and I'm just over thinking it. Should be called the TNA Television Championship....and honestly the belt could have went to someone else who could use it like Desmond Wolfe (as the poster above me noted).

God I HATE HATE HATE when ignorance rears its ugly head. Does anybody else besides me that TNA calling their red title the Global title makes no difference than the WWE calling their Secondary SD title the Intercontinental title? Those two words mean the exact same thing as World Champion, and yet everybody gets on TNA's ass for it. Just shut the fuck up and move on! Damn!

*deep breaths*

As for AJ winning the belt, this is very fortunate (pun intended). For both him and the TNA locker room. Now AJ has a title that not only looks cool, but fits him well. Sure it's a step down from the world title, and he's not going to be paid as much (storyline wise), but the Global title gets him into more title matches and allows us to further see what he can do as a champion.

Besides, after this ECW debacle, there won't be much left for RVD to do, so I'm guessing AJ could take the belt then unless Sting comes back and regains it.

AJ as Global Champ helps them bring the belt back to a meaningful use and puts RT on the shelf for good. TNA is really starting to smarten up lately, and I'm loving it.

Like a lot of people, I'm kind of mixed on this. I thought the match last night was awful and I can't recall a time in which AJ Styles was booked to look as weak and ineffectual as he was last night. The match in and of itself lasted for about 3 minutes and was for a championship. Shitty and outright lazy booking overall.

The Global title is a big step down for Styles, it's far removed from the world title, and it doesn't really mean squat right now. However, Styles is a far superior wrestler to Rob Terry, so maybe this could potentially be the first step towards actually making the title mean something.

This is sort of bitter-sweet for me, because on one hand, AJ as Global Champion is about the best possible thing you could do for that belt. He's the most decorated champion in TNA history, and one of the (if not the) most entertaining young stars in the company who always makes the best of his championship reigns.

On the other hand, this certifiably removes him from contending for the WHC (as far as I'm concerned), which is a shame, because AJ was the best champion this company has had there since Sting.

I love the fact that AJ Styles has the title...although I still don't really understand the title lol

So there's a World Title and a Global Title?

I'm sure this subject has been beaten into the ground but it's still a hard pill to swallow. I mean maybe most people just don't care about it? Or maybe they don't really understand it? I don't know what it is...just seems a little bizarre to me. I mean perhaps a "National Title" or something? Which would equal a US or IC Title value?

Anyway, I like Styles having a title. TNA needs more of those guys holding the belts. Now they just have to get the strap off of snooze machine, RVD and they'll be heading in the right direction...

This could be a great thing if booked correctly. If I was Russo (which thank God I'm not) I would book a feud between the World & Global Titles. Have both A.J. & RVD bicker about which one is the real champion. The following exchange would be classic:

RVD: "I'm the REAL champion, the WORLD heavyweight champion"

A.J.: "what are you? stoned? what do you think GLOBAL means you damn jack-tard!"

Anyways they could have a best of 3 to unify the belts into ONE damn title with A.J. being the first champion. Then create a more meaningful title like a TV Title or just concentrate more on the X-Division title.

If booked right over the course of about 3 months with both claiming to be the "real" TNA Champ culminating in the best of 3 with the 3rd arriving on a PPV would be epic!!!!

Just my thoughts, but hell what do i know? I only been watching wrestling since '81.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back