AJ Styles: Better as a face or a heel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hiphopapotamus

The Dude abides
AJ Styles has been in TNA since it's inception, and through it he has wrestled as both a face and a heel. After this recent IMpact and his promo with Sting, coupled with Sting's retirement at Bound For Glory, many people assume he will be the one who will retire Sting. But many people are wondering, what will AJ's allignment be: Will he be a face or a will he turn and become a heel. It got me thinking, what has AJ been better as, a face or a heel. So I decided to check it out through TNA's history.

At the moment, AJ is definitely the most over face in the company, and I challenge anyone to argue that. He is the most successful of all the TNA originals, and the crowd absolutely love him. The pop he received after winning the legend's title a few months ago, at Sacrifice I think but it could have been earlier, was insanely huge. The most recent Impact contained a speech from AJ Declaring he would be retiring, and the Impact Zone echoed of "Please don't go".

AJ's your generic babyface. He really gets over just because of his incredible in ring ability. If it weren't for that, he would be nowhere with his current character. He stands up to the heels, mainly just the Main event mafia, and gets his ass beaten down every second week. And the crowd love him for it. It's the same every week. Now, I'm not complaining, I love AJ. But the thing is, he needs to improve his character as a face, just slightly, maybe tweak it a little. He's the lovable guy the crowd wants to see win every time, but just because he gets his ass kicked a lot after matches.

AJ Styles reminds me of a luchador, not because he can fly around the place and is also good technically, but because of how his styles of wrestling depend and change around his allignment. In Mexico, Tecnicos, or faces, are the high flyers, while Rudos, or heels, are brawlers and ground based. The same can be said for AJ. When he's a face, like now, he uses a lot of high aerial moves. But when he was a heel in late 2006, early 2007, during his feud with Rhyno, his offence was a lot more settled down, with less flying and more fighting.

During this period as a heel, as part of Christian's coallition he played a great cowardly heel. he gaave up against Rhyno in a last man standing match. He cheated against Rhyno at Against all odds in a motor city chain match, he then fought Rhyno in the disaster that was Elevation X. He lost, but I will always remember that match for AJ hiding in between the bars. He was great as a coward. he feigned an injury, attacked Rhyno with a crutch and joined team Christian for Lethal Lockdown. He once wrestled Scott Steiner ina collegiate

Throughout 2007, he wrestled as a heel as part of Christian's coallition, and was great comedically. Near the back end of 2007, he and Tomko won the tag team titles at Bound for Glory from team Pacman. Afterwards, he wrestled Scott Steiner ina collegiate wrestling match, just as comedy relief, saying he was from Gainesville Vocational. They later Retained against the Steiners at Genesis. At Genesis, they the joined Angle alliance thanks to Karen Angle, helping Angle to beat Christian. AJ then betrayed Christian after weeks of indecision, after a comedy skit set in his apartment and being named the "Prince of Phenomenal". From this time on thoug, AJ was starting to become the lovable guy we know today. He married Karen Angle by accident and went on a honeymoon. When Karen asked for Seperation, he was entered into a feud with Angle,thus becoming a face again.

But they weren't AJ's only stints as a face and a heel. He wrestled as a face in his tag team with Daniels, and was the only true face in the three way feud with Joe and Daniels, who were a tweener and a heel respectively. In TNA's early years, he played a great role as a heel, as a sort of a chav (white trash). He wore an earing and chain, and was managed by Mortimer Plumtree, who I must admit, I know little about. But AJ played the stupid redkneck very well, which he incorperated into his cowardly heel character, making it funnier.

ALL in all, AJ Styles has wrestled well as a babyface and a heel. If I wanted an enjoyable character, I'd like him heel. If I wanted his wrestling ability, I'd get him as a face. Simple as that.

And as for facing Sting at Bound for Glory, I honestly think retiring Sting like Flair, as in face vs face, would be the best thing for both of their careers. Sting goes to an ally rather than enemy, and AJ gets a huge rub from the legacy of a legend. And the emotion would be insane.

Reactions: gd
I like AJ better as a face. I find he's easily likeable. As a heel I think he comes off more like a whiny bitch (not in a good way).

Either way I'm a fan of AJ. But I agree if they have a match like that where Sting retires it should be against a Face AJ. It makes it better for the both of them and makes for more of an emotional match.

I agree wholeheartedly with Mizfit- Also, with a face vs. face match (I assume Sting won't turn before BFG) the match is less likely to feature run-ins or a screwy, dare I say Russo-style finish. Think about HBK vs. Flair, would it have been as memorable if before the match winning Superkick Shawn yelled "DIE OLD MAN!"?

AJ is too popular to be turned heel anyway.

Wow. I never realized how short my attention span was until I read this. I've been watching TNA since it started airing on Spike, so I vaguely remembered his heel run until you just triggered it. Marijuana affects the memory. Looking back, I'd have to say I enjoyed AJ's heel character quite a bit. Lots of cheap laughs and solid promos. But overall, I prefer him as a face. The dude just geniunely seems like a really guy, and the face character makes him easy to get behind. I also agree that a face vs face matchup at BFG is the way to go.

AJ as a face is much better. I agreed with an earlier post that if Sting is going to retire after Bound for Glory, then AJ should be his opponent.

To be honest, I don't really care either way. The only reason I enjoy the guy is to watch him in the ring. As a face, I find the guy to have a very bland personality. I don't find his promos entertaining, nor do I find him particularly charismatic. As a heel, he doesn't really have any choice but to play the whiney comedic heel because he doesn't have a mean bone in his body and it comes across everytime you see him. He just gives off the aura of just being a nice, likeable person so him being a "tough guy/badass" heel would fall flat on its face.

I agree that in a match with sting have him as a face. Overall he is a better Heel loved his work with Christon Cage. him and Tomko were good togeather aswell. as a face he is great inring but cannot get nothing done on the mic.

Personally I could care less if Styles is face, heel, or a tweener. He is one of the few people who I feel can pull off both and make it believeable and interesting.

But if I choose, I guess I actually like him as a face more. While the IWC always want and like their wrestlers to be heel(hence the 5 billion turn so and so heel thread), and while I prefer heels, I think some wrestlers are just meant to be face.

Styles is one of the most likeable guys in the biz. Even when he was great as the whiny, Christian sidekick he still got some cheers. Also his moveset is very "face" like. His high paced action, and highflying moves always seem to get a positive reaction. Styles to me is just like Jeff, Mysterio, and Cena, all make very believable and profitable faces. To me AJ is one of the few options to be the face "face" of TNA(if that makes any sence at all), and I overall prefer him as a face.

i think when he was with angle & christian he kinda fail behind tha sceen had a couple good matchs but he sucked christian & kurts cock. aj is tha future of tha buss he shouldnt be suckin up to anybody. aj styles can enterain the shit outta me and he is very creative, i think Styles works good as both, an thats not most ppl can do, not even edge can work as heel then be a on top face. aj can it dont matter he gets a reaction from anythang he says weither its good or bad, weither u disagree or not u listen to the guy an if your a true wrestlin fan aj syles should be a household name to the world. id watch him either way he has more talent then most now days. point blank / point made

I think that a heel turn may be in the works for an upcoming match with Sting, but overall, I like him best as a face. Like Hippo said, him being a face means more high flying offense and exciting comebacks.

That is the styles that works best for him. Also, I think he gets more of a crowd reaction as a face. The TNA fans naturally love Styles no matter what, I think he'd get more mixed reactions as a face. Styles is TNA's John Cena, it wouldn't make sense for them to turn him heel right now.

This is a really tough call.

He's really over as a face. This is mostly thanks to his moveset, it just suits a face better. He's got decent face mic skills, he can be passionate when he wants to be. But if his moves are enough to get him really over, do his face mic skills really matter that much?

As a heel, he was more entertaining in his promos and segments. And he still had his great moveset and such. But the problem is, he was never going to get a major push in that persona. The comedic cowardly heel is destined to be a midcarder, and that goes for Styles too. He was either second fiddle to Christian or Angle and it didn't really get him very far until he turned on Angle.

So in terms of wanting to see him on top of TNA, he's better off as a face. But he's more entertaining outside the ring as a heel.

I really like AJ more as a face than a heel and I think he does a wonderful job as a face. For some reason, I just can’t bring myself to hate him when he is playing a heel. He just doesn’t look like a guy you want to hate; he just has the look of a babyface. Also, when he is a heel, I tend to not take him serious enough because of the way they book him as a heel character. I don’t know, he just seems like a good guy that you just want to cheer for.

Also, someone brought up a great point as to why he just doesn’t work as a heel, and that was his wrestling style. He does some high-flying moves and has a quicker pace than most. His wrestling style just makes people cheer for him because that’s what excites some when seeing his matches. It’s very rare to find a lot of wrestlers with his type of wrestling style and get booed, or at least it’s rare in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back