AJ is Television Champion, right?

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
That's funny, because as much as he's featured more than Rob Terry was when he held the belt (then known as the Global Championship), and while the belt itself is seen on television more than it was with Terry, AJ has yet to have a single match in which he defended it since renaming it back on July 29th – why?

His match against Angle was a non-title match, as was his match against Dreamer on iMPACT! a week ago – why?

I get that AJ is working a bigger angle right now with Fourtune and the whole EV2 thing, but how has the belt really been helped since? Wouldn't it simply have been easier to somehow fuse it with the World Heavyweight title by debuting a new design or something?

Color me crazy, but isn't the TV title supposed to be defended on TV – regularly?

Yes, however the only reason it was named the T.V. Championshiop was "to honor Flair."

I feel TNA thinks that you have to give people titles and not defend it like WWE does with the US Championship. Its just a prop to make someone look better.

For example if fortune was in its current state but A.J. didn't have the T.V. title, yet Williams still had the X-Division title who would you think is real protege. In my eyes it would be Williams as he is the only with the gold and not A.J. Also, in a faction usually if someone has a title and its not the Tag Team titles the leader or in this case the protege. Therefore, you must give him somethingn to make him stand out from the group and why not do that with honoring a title after Flair.

I have been watching for AJ styles to defend the Television championship belt so that he can show that the title has really mean something, but now recently since he been in single matches he hasnt defend the belt, i mean are they going to wait till pay per view matches?? because that is what it looks like they are doing..

I don't want to go off topic here but the same question that It's Damn Real! ask about the title being defended regularly, look at the knockout tag team titles, same thing, i seriously don't know what's going on

At the moment they have so many angles going on its hard to keep up with things. EV2, "They", Fortune, Flair vs Dixie & Hogan, Abyss going crazy, Sting & Big Sexy, WHC tourniment, the motorcycle chick, and probably 10 other things I'm forgetting. Who has time for a TV match with AJ? I'm sure once things settle down after 10/10/10 AJ will start to defend the belt on a pretty regular basis. The belt helps because its in the hands of someone that deserves a belt, not Rob Terry.

Ric-Flair.jpg

I thought one of the reasons they put the title on Styles. Was to add prestige to the championship. If it's not defended regularly it becomes less important in my opinion. Like the OP said it's a TV title it should be defended regularly on TV. I don't think he should have to defend it every Impact, but I think if it's a one on one match the title should be on the line. I never got the point of non title matches. If the champion is wrestling one on one the title should be on the line.

It has to be defended 30 days like every wrestling title, but I think it has been more then 30 days unless you count house shows. IF AJ Styles isn't going to defend the TV title every week or at least every other week, then there is no purpose for it. We see it on television, but we don't see anyone competing for it.

um no the TV title, if they go by WCW and ECW where it was used the most was defended each week, hence the TV champ, the guy that is featured the most on TV and defends his title on TV.

Seriously, folks didn't see this coming when it was rebranded the "Television Title"?

TV Titles have always been "that other strap". AJ has it now because TNA's discovered he can't carry the World belt when you're looking to break a 1.2 rating, and they still want him wearing gold. Much like the WWE's US title (and frequently IC title), its purpose is no longer to be defended on a regular basis; it's supposed to make a heel champion that much more hated. (Those secondary titles tend to have shorter reigns on face champions; longer reigns are the exception to the rule.)

Granted, "Television Title" isn't as awful a name as the "Global Championship" (what did that make the World Championship, then?), or the even worse "Legends Championship", which sounded like the TNA version of the Masters tour. But it has certain connotations of unimportance to it.

TNA hypes the "importance" of the TNA Television Championship for roughly 1 week and then all but forgets about it. People are really surprised by this? The point of a Television Championship is, as has been pointed out, to be defended on television. Sure, we see the acutal physical belt being carried by the company recognized champion on tv, but a tv title that isn't defended on tv well that's...that's just wrong. Yeah I know, that was kinda lame. It's 6 am and I ain't had any caffeine. I'd all but guarantee that Styles' next title defense will be at the next TNA ppv and it'll almost certainly be against a member of EV2.0.

Quit using your logic, this is TNA we are dealing with. I really dont get it, they hype it for one week, AJ says he is going to defend it on a weekly basis and they, no mention of it again, would it have been so hard to make last weeks match vs Dreamer for the TV title. Wasnt giving the title to AJ supposed to add prestige to the belt, you know what would add more prestige to it, defending it once in a while. One more thing isn't the TV title meant to be defended only on TV, if that is the case then why is he defending it against Dreamer on PPV, I understand that PPV's are shown on TV but you get what I mean.

TNA hypes the "importance" of the TNA Television Championship for roughly 1 week and then all but forgets about it. People are really surprised by this? The point of a Television Championship is, as has been pointed out, to be defended on television. Sure, we see the acutal physical belt being carried by the company recognized champion on tv, but a tv title that isn't defended on tv well that's...that's just wrong. Yeah I know, that was kinda lame. It's 6 am and I ain't had any caffeine. I'd all but guarantee that Styles' next title defense will be at the next TNA ppv and it'll almost certainly be against a member of EV2.0.

So the TNA writers and booking team has Alzheimer? I really think that's just what sums it up. They just had more important things to do like, look in the mirror and tell themselves how awesome and creative they are then actually book a storyline that doesn't have plot holes. Now I'm not going to lie, I didn't watch an promotion with a TV title, but I understand its purpose. Maybe they feel their new fans are just like me, newer wrestling fans who don't particularly remember all the details of wrestling of old. I remember watching wrestling for a while then my parents telling me I wasn't allowed to for some reason or another, probably because they figured out what TV-14 meant. And somehow got back into it once WCW and ECW were closed. Actually only got back into it about five years ago. So maybe they think we have Alzheimer like they do, so they don't really bring it up, they don't want to remind us.

At the moment they have so many angles going on its hard to keep up with things. EV2, "They", Fortune, Flair vs Dixie & Hogan, Abyss going crazy, Sting & Big Sexy, WHC tourniment, the motorcycle chick, and probably 10 other things I'm forgetting. Who has time for a TV match with AJ? I'm sure once things settle down after 10/10/10 AJ will start to defend the belt on a pretty regular basis. The belt helps because its in the hands of someone that deserves a belt, not Rob Terry.

Ric-Flair.jpg

Yeah that pretty much sums it up right now. They have to many things going on at once. I think the original idea was for AJ to defend it on a weekly basis and then all of a sudden the EV2 angle came about. Much like how Kurt Angle's run through the top 10 or retire angle was disrupted by the tournament. TNA just switches gears to often with no rhyme or reason, but yet I still enjoy it.

I agree.. TNA is a cluster fuck! I REALLY TRY TO LIKE IT but they have really really bad storylines with NO ENDINGS... Why is the motorcycle chick angle even SLIGHTLT important enough to have had a MONTH LONG STORY! Does anyone even care about WOMEN'S wrestling enough to have a DRAWN out meaningless story? What about the SAMAO JOE abduction angle? What about the THEY angle? R "FORTUNE" THEY? I mean this organization PURPOSELY has a VACTED title for 3 months!!! WOW! That is so STUPID I was flabbergasted when they made that ANNOUNCEMENT! So is it really surprising then that an organization that is content with not having A HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION would not do anything for its Secondary title... They just have cluster fuck storylines... Oh and if I am not mistaken AJ did defend his TV title once vs ROB TERRY!!

First of all I think I should state my problem about this title...
When it debuted the title was known as the "Legends Championship" and I really liked the sound of that! It was really cool! I thought we would see like the older/veteran wrestlers fighting for this Championship, but after a couple of defenses it went into the hands of Eric Young who renamed it the "Global Championship" BECAUSE of THEIR group! But now AJ Styles has it and he renames the championship, the "Television Championship" IN HONOR OF RIC FLAIR! Why do people feel the need to change the name of the title? I was perfectly fine with the Legends Championship myself and even with the Global Championship, but when it changed to the Television Championship that is where I drew the line. The title isn't even being defended like a Television Championship. I expected AJ Styles to lose the title to Kurt Angle and have Kurt Angle on television EVERY WEEK! Taking out the rest of the people on the rankings in the process and then finally going to Bound for Glory and putting it all on the line his TNA Television Championship and his career making it Champion vs Champion, Title vs Title, Kurt Angles Career on the line! That would have been WAY more interesting then what is going down now!

TNA does have ALOT going on right now! And they ALWAYS switch gears at the last minute to another storyline even when one doesn't seem complete. And the Kurt Angle Ranking System Storyline just didn't seem complete at all... I hope AJ Styles DOES start defending the championship on a weekly bases. The title has already lost so much credibility through the last few months because of the name changes and etc something needs to happen to bring the credibility back. BUT! And I'm begging! PLEASE! Let this be the LAST name change this title goes through!

We've seen this championship named the Legends title, the Global title, and now it's TNA's TV title. This championship has gone through so many changes, and none of the champions have really made an impact in TNA. At the moment, TNA just has way too much stuff going on. Fortune VS EV2.0, and Hogan & Jarrett VS Nash & Sting are two huge storylines that will take up a lot of time, and there's also the drama with The Beautiful People. There just isn't enough time for AJ to consistently defend his championship. TNA has way too many titles, and two big stroylines going on at once. That's a lot a stuff to try and cram on one two hour show a week.

He did defend it once against Rob Terry. Maybe in an ideal world he has some more matches to defend it but I think what they have going now is a better use of AJ's talents and TV title defenses just don't work in the storyline. Putting it up against Dreamer devalues the title more than AJ simply carrying it around talking about how great it is. If he defends it every week in obvious win situations then it becomes a boring gimmick title that they have to change again in a few months. TNA wants it to be their upper mid-card title so it needs to be booked differently than some think about TV titles.

I think right now, most of it has to do with the fact that TNA is trying to execute WAY too many big storylines at once. And it isn't just the TV Title. When's the last time we've seen Doug Williams have an X Division Title match? Victory Road?

Like others have said though, if the TV Title isn't regularly defended on TV, then what the fuck is the point of having it?

Im hoping that once these storylines start to quiet down, we will get to see AJ regularly defend the belt on iMPACT.

Yeah it seems like that Title continues to just be misused and booked poorly, as a result it will continue to be a paper title. If TNA didnt want AJ entangled why give him a strap in the first place? Also the TV Title is below his level as far a titles are concerned, AJ is a main eventer not a midcarder.

the tv title is not a TNA creation like the X division championship. The television championship is historical and decades old going back to 1974. There is a well set out way to go about presenting and maintaining a TV title. Usually there was a 10 or 15 minute time limit. Most matches resulted in draws.
Obviously the reason for its induction was because Mid Atlantic had its own wrestling show in 1974. TNA has TWO. The TV title can be defended the same way the tv title was defended on Nitro or on ECW. The TV title can be defended on Xplosion the same way it was prominently showcased on WCW Saturday Night.. It can also be defended by Styles w/o it interfering with this invasion storyline. An up in comer or new arrival could chalendge for it in a regular match, lose, but still showcase his skills and maybe become friendly to Fortune.

The TNA TV title should be defended on both shows ad should be the highest ranking title for those who don't get PPV time.
36.jpg
41.jpg

those two guys right there, Booker T. and Rob Van Dam should be the gold standard for what a TV champion is. Oddly enough the six time WCW World television champion is the first Legends Champion and the longest reigning ECW World television champion is TNA's current top title holder. I think RVD as TVchamp did take on the ECW heavyweight champ a few times to.

TNA is in a hole but it only takes a bit of commonsense to get out of it and its alarming that they never use it.

Rayne said:
TV Titles have always been "that other strap". AJ has it now because TNA's discovered he can't carry the World belt when you're looking to break a 1.2 rating, and they still want him wearing gold.
What do you mean by "that other strap? When Steve Austin was television champ was it that other strap? When Steamboat held it was it that "other" title? Your starting to sound like Scott Hall.. :disappointed:
Isn't the irony/learning lesson here the fact that TNA's current champion probably was never given ECW's heavyweight title over its television title because that fed's ECW champions needed a belt to bolster them and he didn't need the top strap? TNA needs more gold and traditional time rules for the title can also cut down on too much showtime being spent on it.

Rayne said:
Granted, "Television Title" isn't as awful a name as the "Global Championship" (what did that make the World Championship, then?),
Te frequent name changes are making the title unstable.. It at first hated the TNA Global title but it grew on me. Sure it reeked of redundancy but at least it was strait to the point and took its branding literally, seriously, and to heart. The World title designation has gotten pretty out of context these last few years in wrestling.

I never understood why TNA's "global" title was anymore redundant then "intercontinental" or "international" which both correspond to a large geographical area. What's the difference?

or the even worse "Legends Championship", which sounded like the TNA version of the Masters tour.
An old fogees title? I thought the legends title was as stupid as the old Negro World title (Texas) or NWA World Midget's Championship.. How do you even set parameters? We know if your a over 220 lbs you can't get a cruiserweight title shot. We know if your a man you can't get a knockouts' title shot. What determines eligibility for the Legends championship?

They should have held a tourney for a new television title and kept the global title as it was.

the tv title is not a TNA creation like the X division championship. The television championship is historical and decades old going back to 1974. There is a well set out way to go about presenting and maintaining a TV title. Usually there was a 10 or 15 minute time limit. Most matches resulted in draws.
Obviously the reason for its induction was because Mid Atlantic had its own wrestling show in 1974. TNA has TWO. The TV title can be defended the same way the tv title was defended on Nitro or on ECW. The TV title can be defended on Xplosion the same way it was prominently showcased on WCW Saturday Night.. It can also be defended by Styles w/o it interfering with this invasion storyline. An up in comer or new arrival could chalendge for it in a regular match, lose, but still showcase his skills and maybe become friendly to Fortune.

The TNA TV title should be defended on both shows ad should be the highest ranking title for those who don't get PPV time.
36.jpg
41.jpg

those two guys right there, Booker T. and Rob Van Dam should be the gold standard for what a TV champion is. Oddly enough the six time WCW World television champion is the first Legends Champion and the longest reigning ECW World television champion is TNA's current top title holder. I think RVD as TVchamp did take on the ECW heavyweight champ a few times to.

TNA is in a hole but it only takes a bit of commonsense to get out of it and its alarming that they never use it.

What do you mean by "that other strap? When Steve Austin was television champ was it that other strap? When Steamboat held it was it that "other" title? Your starting to sound like Scott Hall.. :disappointed:
Isn't the irony/learning lesson here the fact that TNA's current champion probably was never given ECW's heavyweight title over its television title because that fed's ECW champions needed a belt to bolster them and he didn't need the top strap? TNA needs more gold and traditional time rules for the title can also cut down on too much showtime being spent on it.

Te frequent name changes are making the title unstable.. It at first hated the TNA Global title but it grew on me. Sure it reeked of redundancy but at least it was strait to the point and took its branding literally, seriously, and to heart. The World title designation has gotten pretty out of context these last few years in wrestling.

I never understood why TNA's "global" title was anymore redundant then "intercontinental" or "international" which both correspond to a large geographical area. What's the difference?

An old fogees title? I thought the legends title was as stupid as the old Negro World title (Texas) or NWA World Midget's Championship.. How do you even set parameters? We know if your a over 220 lbs you can't get a cruiserweight title shot. We know if your a man you can't get a knockouts' title shot. What determines eligibility for the Legends championship?

They should have held a tourney for a new television title and kept the global title as it was.

Uhm... TNA Television title isn't WCW or ECW Television title. So in the sense of "other strap" they mean tna's other title.

And as for the thread... Seriously? This is what you have left to complain about? A title not being defended? Well then let's go and take a look at WWE and see when Miz has last defended his US title.... yeah it's been quite a while hasn't it? Seems WWE is busy trying to push Miz that they forgot he already has a title.

As for the TV title in TNA, so what? The KO Tag belts haven't been defended either. It's most likely because they have a huge number of talent and only one 2 hour show. Maybe if they put the TV title on Xplosion in defenses then they can hype things up.

Plus, if anything, I would say this is TNA's way of trying to recreate the MEM storyline. It's only a matter of time before Angle turns heel and joins Fortune. And then BMI will get the tag belts. I'm just saying... Maybe just maybe TNA's trying to get their own four horsemen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back