• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A Hardcore Title Is Calling

The Shockmaster

Pre-Show Stalwart
I think a Hardcore title would work well within TNA's current situation. Since there is only 4 titles within the mens division(World Championship, Global Championship, X Division Championship, and Tag team Championship) I feel another one cant hurt. Especially since they have got such a big roster and could help get some guys into another division.

This is one belt i wouldn't mind Abyss holding on to like he was John Cena. But he would have guys like Raven and Rhino completing as well. Plus you cant forget Dreamer and whatever guys might follow due to this supposed ecw stable which would all be accustomed to hardcore.

If there is to much gold floating around i wouldn't mind them throwing away the global title. As of late it has been a dead title and really never had any importance in the first place. Unless it becomes somewhat of an intercontinental tile i dont see its use(but someone has already covered that in another thread)

And what about the potential ratings booster this could bring to TNA. A hardcore title could bring back the days of the attitude era and the ecw glory days..along with 24/7 rules or something along those lines it could keep people tuning in and gather a new audience of fans that feel betrayed by wwe's pg era.

So Questions

Do you like the idea of a hardcore title/division in TNA?

Would it be to much gold? If so which would you take away?

Do you think it will help bring a wider fanbase to TNA?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the whole idea of a Hardcore title, whether it be TNA or WWE or whoever else. Kind of a stupid concept, if you ask me. Especially with the whole idea of the title being up for grabs 24/7, anywhere, anytime. Guys getting smacked in the head with a foreign object in the parking lot, in the washroom, backstage, whatever, I've never been a fan. That's not wrestling, that's a novelty, a sideshow.

So, no, I don't like the idea of a hardcore title/division in TNA. It would be too much gold, and too much unnecessary gold. Perhaps TNA should tidy up their existing divisions before creating "new" ones. And I think it will take a hell of a lot more than a rehashed Hardcore division, especially if populated with old ECW guys, to broaden TNA's fanbase.

I was never really too big a fan of hardcore wrestling, let alone the concept of a hardcore title, but the only way I'd even begin to consider moving forward with this concept is if the Global Championship was dissolved or unified in some fashion so it was no longer available in competition, because another title added to a roster that already features 40+ male wrestlers is nothing a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

The Global Championship already struggles to find a purpose as it is because it isn't classed in any sense the way the WHC and X Division titles are, so again I wouldn't fight much to eliminate it, but at the very same time I'm not entirely sold that another championship is what TNA needs – especially a hardcore one that would likely focus around classing a new era of ex-ECW stars like Dreamer, Rhino and Raven.

As for whether or not it'd bring a wider fan base in, I doubt it.

a roster with this many wrestlers needs divisions...and there is really nothing wrong with the ones they have. There are just a handful maybe two handfuls of wrestlers that dont fit in any.

The tag division is actually coming around...you've got the guns, gen me, team 3d, ink inc, beer money...even the band and the enigmatic assholes but there iffy. This is a solid bunch of teams

The X division is perfect with the exception of Williams. I personally like him but cant stand him as x division champ...its killing the titles reputation. However there is atleast 10 guys that prosper in this division and you could even throw AJ back into the mix until his next world title run. Heck hardy could even work in these types of matches.

With no one really going out for the global title it is a dead division and crowding an already crowding world title scene. A hardcore title brings abyss out of the world title picture were he shouldnt be and give a homegrown talent a chance to head a division. It also takes care of the old and new ecw guys before or if they ever enter the world title scene.

Let these guys do what they were meant to do...it also gives them a purpose instead of being lost in the roster. And personally i think tna has the most interesting backstage areas. it is well planned and lit to make for interesting backstage brawls.

not saying it has to be defended 24/7 but def in high octane no dq action bringing excitement and predictability back to matches

Because TNA doesn't have enough booking problems as it is, now you wanna add another belt? NO! I don't care if it replaces the Global Title. They have no room for what they have right now. Right now TNA has a grand total of 6 Championships. How many were featured on iMPACT! This week? 4 and a half. It 3 and a half actually, the World Championship was only mentioned, never shown. Basically they have problems showcasing half of their belts. You want another one? I hope you mean replacing one. Even so, the problem would not be fixed. If anything made worse. Because you would be limiting the people who can compete for it. Why do that if you already have the X Division? It's just not as gimmicky. You'd have to unify the X Divison and Global title to make room. What would that do? Piss everyone off, that's what. The X Division Championship is TNA's oldest belt and what the company is supposed to stand for. It should not go anywhere.

The simple answer is no. It would just complicate thing even more.

Because TNA doesn't have enough booking problems as it is, now you wanna add another belt? NO! I don't care if it replaces the Global Title. They have no room for what they have right now. Right now TNA has a grand total of 6 Championships. How many were featured on iMPACT! This week? 4 and a half. It 3 and a half actually, the World Championship was only mentioned, never shown. Basically they have problems showcasing half of their belts. You want another one? I hope you mean replacing one. Even so, the problem would not be fixed. If anything made worse. Because you would be limiting the people who can compete for it. Why do that if you already have the X Division? It's just not as gimmicky. You'd have to unify the X Divison and Global title to make room. What would that do? Piss everyone off, that's what. The X Division Championship is TNA's oldest belt and what the company is supposed to stand for. It should not go anywhere.

The simple answer is no. It would just complicate thing even more.

Who said anything about ruining the X division because i don't see it anywhere on this post. The only title that is being discussed as possibly dropping is the Global title. It is not being contested and it is not doing anything for terry. Infact i don't think it could do anything for anyone. So retire the global title and make it the hardcore belt that could get at least close to 10 people that would be on the hunt for it cleaning out some people from other divisions.

The trouble with bringing in another title is with tna booking being what it is it could just end up being a paper title such and the KO tag belts and the Global title.

As far as having many wrestlers TNA still needs to cut ppl so why make another belt?

I understand with the possible ECW stable coming in it might be appropriate, but if it just become a ornament for Dreamer and Raven to fight over whats the point of it?

Creating a hardcore title could trigger an interest with fans, mainly because it is different than anything WWE is offering. The problem would be in how it is used. The Global Title is not exactly a coveted title and hasn't been booked in a way that will change that perception. I feel the X-Title is suffering from some questionably booking. Namely, challengers like Kendrick and Moore were just deemed number one contenders. I have no problem with either guy, in fact, I'm a big Kendrick fan. However, I don't remember either guy doing anything to justify a title shot. If TNA could properly focus on the execution of a new title, I'd be all for it. I just don't know if that will happen.

Who said anything about ruining the X division because i don't see it anywhere on this post. The only title that is being discussed as possibly dropping is the Global title. It is not being contested and it is not doing anything for terry. Infact i don't think it could do anything for anyone. So retire the global title and make it the hardcore belt that could get at least close to 10 people that would be on the hunt for it cleaning out some people from other divisions.

What I meant to say was that if you want another belt, you are gonna have to scrap 2 male belts. Because there is no room on iMPACT! for 4 as it is. The Tag Team and World Titles are obvious no-no's. The X Division is too historic at this point. That just leaves the Global Title. Scrap it and it just lands us back to square one. Too many belts not enough space. Unless you have a method of utilizing Space Bags on TNA there is no point in adding a Hardcore Title. Even if its by scrapping the Global Title. Then again, why have a Hardcore Title? The X Division belt is "hardcore" enough.

IMO i do think theres room for 4 titles if BOOKED properly so in that case there will never be room.
They seem to get around four or five matches a night. Usually they have a 20 minute segment before any wrestling takes place. i think if they cut there promo times down...maybe jus to 10 minutes at the beginning(not hating it, i actually look forward to who lethal is going to be next) and cut a KO match here and there it would to relevant. There would be enough time for a hardcore division to work with.
Im only trying to find a solution for the guys left without a division and to me it a hardcore division would suit most of these wrestlers just fine.
not saying its the best idea but def an alternative to there current situation IF BOOKED PROPERLY.

A hardcore title could work, but more then likely won't and here is why. TNA has a weird way of pushing their champions. I mean weird in the way of not really giving them a story, but more or less just random matches. How long has Rob Terry held the Global Championship and the only feud that comes to mind is a feud with Orlando Jordan. Sure it has been a decent feud, but he had that championship for virtually 3 months with nothing to do with it besides random one off matches with various competitors.

I just don't think TNA could find the right way to utilize a hardcore championship that could really please anyone. They would probably implement the 24/7 rule which would probably be best as the seem to spend more time on backstage beat downs rather then in ring matches.

IMO i do think theres room for 4 titles if BOOKED properly so in that case there will never be room.
They seem to get around four or five matches a night. Usually they have a 20 minute segment before any wrestling takes place. i think if they cut there promo times down...maybe jus to 10 minutes at the beginning(not hating it, i actually look forward to who lethal is going to be next) and cut a KO match here and there it would to relevant. There would be enough time for a hardcore division to work with.
Im only trying to find a solution for the guys left without a division and to me it a hardcore division would suit most of these wrestlers just fine.
not saying its the best idea but def an alternative to there current situation IF BOOKED PROPERLY.

True. But then the Knockout's Championship would have absolutely no airtime. Cutting one Knockout's match means cutting them all from iMPACT!. We only get one a week. Hell, two weeks ago there was none. And the thing is, this is a division with two different titles. The show is doing fine without one. You don't need a Hardcore title to have a Hardcore match on TNA. They come by a lot faster than with WWE.

I agree with you Shockmaster. TNA NEEDS to show the fans that they don't have any political agendas and can go past a PG rating like they have done in the past. I would most certainly DROP that crappy Global title. That title was the biggest waste of time. As for the possible ECW faction in the company, I have to say IMO it's AWESOME!!! I grew up watching the old ECW....when it was hardcore and fans brought weapons to the arena. If they are that worried about roster, give them their own show, with their own titles....Problem solved!

How could you not love a scaffold match where the loser goes through a shit load of tables below. Or even the 3 way ladder matches. And when I say 3 way, I don't mean the WWE version where the first one to get a pinfall wins. I mean when they fight until 1 man is left.

While I did enjoy the hardcore wrestling of the 90's I don't think it would be a good fit in today's wrestling show. TNA already has the Global Title that doesn't have a meaning or a prestige to it, so why add another? Here's a thought though, have the Global and WHC titles defended in hardcore matches occasionally, it will satisfy the thirst for blood that some fans seem to have, provide some holy shit moments, and would make the title defenses more interesting to fans. Ideally I would have my company's title defended in a no DQ type match maybe once every 3 monthes or so. That way the title matches have some prestige to them in the normal matches, and add some extra excitement in the gimmick matches, the WWE is overkilling the gimmick matches a bit too much for me. A good mixture of hardcore and pure wrestling matches for the WHC would be great, for me at least.

So to completly answer your question, no I don't think TNA needs to have a Hardcore Championship.

I was under the impression the x division title WAS the hardcore title I mean just look at the matches its competed in isn't the crowning match for that title is one in which u to climb across cables?or how bout elevation x?if I'm forgetting others I apologize

TNA doesnt need a hardcore title and if they think that is going to get them to the next level with this soposed ECW stable it wont....good matches and not confusing shitty booking will do that
ECW was what nearly a decade a go, it had a time and place and didnt succeed then becuase if it had it wouldnt have closed down.
I would rather the Global title become a T.V title and defended regularly on impact or it scraped all together

how about the global "TV" title. have the old school 10 min time limit. instead of creating a hardcore title call it the XTREME title. in honor of ECW. maybe do like an NWO type takeover. but with old ECW guys.

First of all.. how in the world has the name The Shockmaster not been taken yet.

I would not like to see a hardcore title involved in TNA right now.

Reasons

A) Almost all the current bookers and past bookers that have come through TNA despise Harcore Wrestling on a current basis.

B) Half the titles in their company already have 0 credibility and they need to put some credibility in those before they start adding more.

Here is an idea..

Grab Madusa and have her throw the Knockout Tag Titles and the Global Title in that trashcan.

I think a hardcore title could work in TNA if 2 things happen. 1. Kill the pointless global title which was mentioned in your initial post.
2. If they allow Paul Heyman and only Paul Heyman to be involved in the booking of that title.

Part 2 is obivously based on the assumption that the rumors are true.

On a side note it is perfectly fine to not be thrilled with the idea of a hardcore title. I know that isn't anyones cup of tea. What I can't wrap my head around is the people that don't want it for the specific reason of it being viewed as not real wrestling. Ummm of course its not. Neither is Cena slamming someone on a car. This is TNA and WWE not NCAA. If you want technical wrestling you should be watching NCAA or UFC. You are watching WWE or TNA than complaining that it resembles a Pro Wrestling product which is what it is, instead of it resembling NCAA or Olympic style wrestling. Thats like watching football and then complaining that its not rugby. Of course its not rubgy, its football.

i reckon it would be a good move for TNA as it adds something diiferent to the show. it would give alot of people on the roster something to do and i dont think it would crowd the scene at all 4 championships for a show can be worked especially with the size of there roster. it would definatly boost my interest in the show as i feel hardcore matches and the unpredictability of the 24/7 rule is missing from wrestling atm. it wouldnt have 2 be defended or in a segment everyweek to mean something just a few good fueds and if they dont want to start something off just a hardcore invitational/scramble match at a ppv for 15 mins would be awesome

have tommy dreamer win the global and slowly convert it into a tna hardcore title they would need to expand the show to 2 hours so they can start developing the storyline or division that way. also with an expanded show, maybe they can give more people tv time besides the same 5 or 6 people thats in the current storyline

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the whole idea of a Hardcore title, whether it be TNA or WWE or whoever else. Kind of a stupid concept, if you ask me. Especially with the whole idea of the title being up for grabs 24/7, anywhere, anytime.

It doesn't necessarily have to be 24/7. They can have structured matches like the other titles. I personally love the hardcore style and there are a few wrestlers on the roster who would not only thrive in that division, but are not well suited for matches without hardcore rules. Tommy Dreamer, Rhyno, Abyss, and others I'm too lazy to think of aren't incredible in normal matches, but put on incredible hardcore matches.

My personal opinion on what should happen is have Tommy Dreamer jump from the audience to the locker room and have him compete for the Global Title and have him turn it into a hardcore title. Darken the red strap and make it look like blood, wrap it in barbed wire, and spray paint it or something to that extent. As a lot of people are saying, Rob Terry and the GT in general are useless. Reinventing it into the Global Hardcore Championship (or some other name) would give a whole new division for the chair swinging freaks, maybe bring in some other reckognised names, and actually give Abyss a chance to make more than 3 fans

You don't need a Hardcore title to have hardcore matches. Now you suggest a 24/7 defense rule? NO! You bitch about ripping off other companies and then you suggest their ideas. Brilliant. 2 years ago everyone was whinning about TNA needing a mid-card title. We got the Legends/Global title. Now everyone regrets it. Same sad tale with the Knockout Tag Team belts. Now you want a Hardcore title. Why?! People enjoy watching ideas backfire, I assume. TNA does not need a Hardcore title, or division. They already have an X Division. One division singles is enough. This isn't MMA or Boxing. The days of Hardcore wrestlng being revolutionary are long gone. Don't complicate the simple.

A Hardcore championship would be foolish if you ask me, and i'll tell you why

TNA is oversaturated with championship's including two for a Womens division doesn't have enough talent to stretch out it's roster.

what they need to do is cement the Global title as a midcard title and actually have Terry defend it properly, what happened to Orlando Jordan?, didn't they fight over the Global title?, why didn't we see the rather interesting feud continue?.

then you have the X division championship, something that has been embroiled with Douglas Williams claiming that technical wrestling is better then the highflying style that the X division is used to, this story has encompassed the division allowing the belt to gain more prominance and is exactly what the belt needed, a story that elevates the titel and the holder at the same time.

Now look at the world title, you have Vand Dam holding the belt and defending it at every chance he has gotten, the divisions working again and bringing out credible contenders.

the issue at the moment, the main issue is the global title, by turning it into a hardcore belt wont help matters, the fact is Hardcore wrestling is very limited and has no variations to it, hardcore matches should be used to intensify feuds or even end them, not as a regulare interest because it just gets boring and loses all momentum, just look at WWE and WCW's hardcore devisions, in the end they failed because no one cared for them anymore.

but the same could be said with the x division, its just a bunch of high flyers, but this is where the division shined before because it was about breaking limits and boundaries rather then focusing on the high risk it was more about the high impact.

IMO the best thing to do is find a place for the global title or get rid of it instead of adding another headache to TNA's already clustered singles division.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back