A Good Night For Marijuana Users & Homosexuals

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Last night was a strong step forward for supporters of legalizing Marijuana and for same-sex marriages.

According to CNN, voters in Colorado & Washington have legalized Marijuana. I haven't read anything in which it's stated that it's legalized only for medicinal purposes, so I'm assuming that this means it's just flat out legal all around in those states. Oregon had a similar measure on the ballot this year but it didn't pass there. There are still federal laws in which Marijuana is still illegal, so this could possibly wind up ultimately being settled within the courts before it's all said and done.

Voters chose to legalize same-sex marriage in Maryland and Maine, which is history making as it's the first time that such a measure has actually passed among voters in any election. A similar measure was on the ballots in Minnesota & Washington. While those didn't pass, it was a very close race as CNN states that those measures only failed by a couple of percentage points.

I don't smoke pot myself but I do believe that it's not nearly the demonic force that government propaganda has made it out to be. As long as people aren't knocking off liquor stores to score cash to score some hash then, in all honesty, it doesn't bother me. It's your body so do with it what you please.

I've been a supporter of same-sex marriage for years and I'm personally glad to see that it's taken a big step forward in this election. It'll never be fully accepted in the minds of some, I've yet to hear of any issue that's universally accepted quite frankly, but that's how it goes. I believe in God and, in my opinion, it's up to God to decide what happens to gays & lesbians when they pass on. It's got nothing to do with religion because it's simply an issue of civil rights. Denying people the right to marry because of their sexual orientation is no different than denying them to marry because of skin color in my opinion. You might as well say that whites & blacks can't marry, which they couldn't well into the 20th century. In the physical world, in this country, every citizen should have the same rights. Otherwise, the Constitution isn't worth the paper it's written on.

It's a strong step towards advancement in society. I'm all for people finding happiness in ways that allow them to be, as long as it doesn't harm the well being of others. My cousin lives in Washington, and I know he was happy with the same sex marriage being legalized. In fact, he already is thinking of his wedding, and I'm happy for him.

I will admit that these states could become the water testers of legalizing both marijuana and same sex marriages. If things go over well and more people start to open their minds, I could say all states following along including the likes of North Carolina. Again, I'm not a smoker and probably won't dab into it anytime soon, but that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the truths of marijuana. It's actually proven to be less harmful than both tobacco and alcohol combined. There are some instances where smoking has proven to have health and mental benefits. So it's nice to see the United States opening their minds and accepting it as a good thing.

I agree that people should be able to marry anyone they want. I think it is kind of sad that there are people that are actually opposed to someone being happy for this reason. As far as pot goes I have always felt it is less harmful than tobacco and alcohol. It sure as hell causes less trouble than alcohol. I think this is a good step forward, and maybe these states can be a testing ground for these issues, and like Hashtag said maybe open peoples minds up a little.

I agree that people should be able to marry anyone they want. I think it is kind of sad that there are people that are actually opposed to someone being happy for this reason.

In fact, I've never understood why people should be against same-sex marriage. What business is it of theirs if two people want to get married? How are the "objectors" being hurt by it? What in hell difference does it make to them?

There are certainly a lot of folks who concern themselves with the private affairs of others, apparently feeling they're qualified to choose how total strangers live their lives.

Never understood it; never will.....but it's nice to see positive steps being taken over time.

According to CNN, voters in Colorado & Washington have legalized Marijuana. I haven't read anything in which it's stated that it's legalized only for medicinal purposes, so I'm assuming that this means it's just flat out legal all around in those states

I don't know about Washington, but they explained the Colorado law on Fox. You are now allowed to legally posses up to one ounce of pot(21years or older) for recreational use, although you cannot use it publicly.

The Governor of Colorado has already come out and said this is going to be a slippery slope as pot is still illegal federally and as far as I know the federal government has been prosecuting state legalized pot. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but right now we still don't really know.

It's huge step forward in society. I'm neutral when it comes to marijuana. I don't use it but I could careless if anyone else uses it. Stay legal my friends. I'm Christian but I could careless if two guys or two girls wanna get married. It's none of my business so if they say they love each other then who am I to say otherwise or get in the way. Go for it.

Both things not being legal across the board are absolute madness.

Tobacco kills a bajillion (somewere like that) people per year. Tis a plant, grows from the earth, you see. Is legal. Marijauna deaths due to rice crispie treat overdose, some were around 6, my guess. How the holy fuck is one legal and not the other?

Same sex marriage is abundantly (somehow) more absurd. Oh, your religion (as you interperate it) says no same sex marriage? Well that's cute, but fortunately, we don't have a such thing as a national religion in america. If you would like to live in a place that governs by the laws of a national religion, feel free to move to the muslim world and have your head chopped the fuck off.

Nothing that has anything to do with any of your interpretations of religion has a dam fucking thing to do with what should be law. If gay people want to get married, legality should be the least of their concerns, and to say otherwise is totally absurd. Its mind boggling it isn't legal nationwide.

Tobacco kills a bajillion (somewere like that) people per year. Tis a plant, grows from the earth, you see. Is legal. Marijauna deaths due to rice crispie treat overdose, some were around 6, my guess. How the holy fuck is one legal and not the other?

I agree - though my response is certainly not to make BOTH legal. I get that banning tobacco outright is never going to happen, though it would be great if it could. HOWEVER, there was a time when everyone thought tobacco was great, was prescribed by doctors etc. and now we know it kills a bajillion people per year. The starting sequence with marijuana is similar - people claiming it does 'no harm', it 'helping' those with specific illnesses, and is prescribed by doctors. What happens when, in 50 years, people start dying from over-use of marijuana in the same way they have tobacco?

On a personal point, I wouldn't have a clue where to go to buy drugs if I wanted them. Call it a sheltered existance, but my parents always ensured I was no where near it, and I intend to do the same with my children. I don't want them growing up in a world where, when they pop to the corner shop for a pint of milk, they could also pick up a packet of marijuana cigarettes.

What happens when, in 50 years, people start dying from over-use of marijuana in the same way they have tobacco?

On a personal point, I wouldn't have a clue where to go to buy drugs if I wanted them. Call it a sheltered existance, but my parents always ensured I was no where near it, and I intend to do the same with my children. I don't want them growing up in a world where, when they pop to the corner shop for a pint of milk, they could also pick up a packet of marijuana cigarettes.

Then you nod your head merrily at them as they choose to kill themselves depite overwelming evidence that will be the case. whom is the government to tell people what they can or can't do with their bodies, right? Hasn't that been one of your rallying cries over the years? (I dont mean that smart-ass, I mean it literally....as it is one of my own rallying cries as well) I can volunteer to die for THEIR purposes, but not for my own?(were I to be a person interested in slowly killing myself through the means of cigarettes or weed)

as for your second paragraph, I am sorry to be the one to break it to you, but they can do that now anyway. actually, were it legal, it would be LESS likely for children to be able to come upon it, since there would be regulation, and a legal age limit.

I agree - though my response is certainly not to make BOTH legal. I get that banning tobacco outright is never going to happen, though it would be great if it could.

I give it about 20-30 years before that statement is proven factually wrong in England. It's already a minority occupation (only 20% of people smoke tobacco), which is trending downwards. Once everyone with a strong opinion towards smoking legality have given themselves emphysema they government will start moving towards making it illegal.

HOWEVER, there was a time when everyone thought tobacco was great, was prescribed by doctors etc. and now we know it kills a bajillion people per year.

Heroin: originally marketed as a non-addictive cough suppressant. If you have a heart attack, you will be given it in the ambulance en route to hospital.

The starting sequence with marijuana is similar - people claiming it does 'no harm', it 'helping' those with specific illnesses, and is prescribed by doctors. What happens when, in 50 years, people start dying from over-use of marijuana in the same way they have tobacco?

I know very little about marijuana because I give precisely no fucks about it. However, my understanding of it is that the only toxic effect that it has is are in the brain, potentially damaging mental health. Now, don't get me wrong, mental health is hugely important - schizophrenia knocks off about 10 years of your life but it's not quite on the same level as tobacco's impact on public health.

On a personal point, I wouldn't have a clue where to go to buy drugs if I wanted them.

You've mentioned being a nurse. Your pharmacy at the hospital will likely have cocaine and heroin in it, along with plenty of other illegal stuff. So the answer there is AAH.

Call it a sheltered existance, but my parents always ensured I was no where near it, and I intend to do the same with my children. I don't want them growing up in a world where, when they pop to the corner shop for a pint of milk, they could also pick up a packet of marijuana cigarettes.

You're overstating how bad cannabis is Becca. I've never smoked it, have no intention of smoking it and wouldn't know where to get some either but it's less harmful than the bottles of vodka which your child will see when buying aforementioned milk. He/she won't get instantly corrupted just by seeing them. Especially if you're a good parent to your hypothetical child(ren).

Then you nod your head merrily at them as they choose to kill themselves depite overwelming evidence that will be the case. whom is the government to tell people what they can or can't do with their bodies, right? Hasn't that been one of your rallying cries over the years? (I dont mean that smart-ass, I mean it literally....as it is one of my own rallying cries as well) I can volunteer to die for THEIR purposes, but not for my own?(were I to be a person interested in slowly killing myself through the means of cigarettes or weed)

as for your second paragraph, I am sorry to be the one to break it to you, but they can do that now anyway. actually, were it legal, it would be LESS likely for children to be able to come upon it, since there would be regulation, and a legal age limit.

I do believe people should be able to do what they like with their own bodies - as long as it doesn't affect mine, or other peoples. I already detest that to get into work I have to walk through a cloud of people's cigarette smoke. The smell of 'weed' makes me feel physically ill, and is seriously not what I want to have to walk through at 7am after a night shift, or before a 13 hour shift. Nor do I want to put up with it, learning in 50 years time that it could have an adverse effect on those simply around it. It's also not something I want to subject my children to. Now if you're smoking it privately, in your own home, my issues go down a lot. I still think it's ridiculous, but as it's not affecting my body I don't care.

Also, while I realise this isn't an issue in the US, in the UK we have the NHS, and while I am one of it's biggest supporters, we already spend millions, mybe even billions, on cigarette-related illnesses. I would, again, be willing to bet that that would rise hugely if marijuana became legalised. We simply can not afford to make more issues.

Finally, I disagree that legalisation makes it harder for children to come by. Cigarettes and alcohol are incredibly easy for a child to get hold of, all they need is a fake ID, an adult with no responsibilities, even one just passing the store, or a store that doesn't take the licensing laws seriously - all things that would also make it possible for them to gain marijuana. I don't want it possible for them to see a display of the drug whilst shopping with their families.

I give it about 20-30 years before that statement is proven factually wrong in England. It's already a minority occupation (only 20% of people smoke tobacco), which is trending downwards. Once everyone with a strong opinion towards smoking legality have given themselves emphysema they government will start moving towards making it illegal.

I hope you're right.

I know very little about marijuana because I give precisely no fucks about it. However, my understanding of it is that the only toxic effect that it has is are in the brain, potentially damaging mental health. Now, don't get me wrong, mental health is hugely important - schizophrenia knocks off about 10 years of your life but it's not quite on the same level as tobacco's impact on public health.

Would we know what tobacco's effect on public health was if it wasn't so popular in society, legal, and been used a great amount in the past? I don't want to find out the horrible side effects in 50 years when marijuana is used the same way tobacco is now. Also, I don't want a large increase in those mentally ill. In some ways it's worse than being physically ill.

You're overstating how bad cannabis is Becca. I've never smoked it, have no intention of smoking it and wouldn't know where to get some either but it's less harmful than the bottles of vodka which your child will see when buying aforementioned milk. He/she won't get instantly corrupted just by seeing them. Especially if you're a good parent to your hypothetical child(ren).

I don't think cannabis is bad per se. I just don't think it being legal is a good idea. I'm not of the opinion that the police should do a drugs raid on a house because the occupant occassionaly smokes marijuana in his own home, nor do I think those who do smoke it are bad people. But I don't want it to become a socially acceptable thing to do. I'm happy with the way smoking is becoming less 'cool' in the media and society and would hope marijuana would also be seen that way, but I don't want it to become easily accessible only for us to be facing a whole load of new issues inyears to come, in the same way tobacco and alcohol have given us many issues in the last few decades.

I do believe people should be able to do what they like with their own bodies - as long as it doesn't affect mine, or other peoples. I already detest that to get into work I have to walk through a cloud of people's cigarette smoke. The smell of 'weed' makes me feel physically ill, and is seriously not what I want to have to walk through at 7am after a night shift, or before a 13 hour shift. Nor do I want to put up with it, learning in 50 years time that it could have an adverse effect on those simply around it. It's also not something I want to subject my children to. Now if you're smoking it privately, in your own home, my issues go down a lot. I still think it's ridiculous, but as it's not affecting my body I don't care.

Finally, I disagree that legalisation makes it harder for children to come by. Cigarettes and alcohol are incredibly easy for a child to get hold of, all they need is a fake ID, an adult with no responsibilities, even one just passing the store, or a store that doesn't take the licensing laws seriously - all things that would also make it possible for them to gain marijuana. I don't want it possible for them to see a display of the drug whilst shopping with their families.

Already legislature in place for smokeless areas for cigarettes as it is. Obviously, it will be the same way were weed legalized. In your own home, or away from those who chose not to, is more and more the norm among lawmakers as it is, surely this will be the case. Don't blame the plant, blame idiots who have no consideration for others. People being selfish ***** is irrelevant to wether weed should be legal or not.

You know those three things you just named that a child needs in order to get cigarettes or alcohol? Those are three things they currently do not need to acquire weed.

Would we know what tobacco's effect on public health was if it wasn't so popular in society, legal, and been used a great amount in the past? I don't want to find out the horrible side effects in 50 years when marijuana is used the same way tobacco is now. Also, I don't want a large increase in those mentally ill. In some ways it's worse than being physically ill.

Yes. Perhaps not as well as we do with tobacco, but we would know. We know the effect of Diazepam (Valium) on public health despite it being around for less than 50 years and restricted for most of that time.

I don't think cannabis is bad per se. I just don't think it being legal is a good idea. I'm not of the opinion that the police should do a drugs raid on a house because the occupant occassionaly smokes marijuana in his own home, nor do I think those who do smoke it are bad people. But I don't want it to become a socially acceptable thing to do.

It's already socially acceptable to do so. Statistically speaking, just under half of the students at my uni smoked pot last year. Only 16% smoked tobacco regularly and a further 24% smoking socially.

I'm happy with the way smoking is becoming less 'cool' in the media and society and would hope marijuana would also be seen that way, but I don't want it to become easily accessible only for us to be facing a whole load of new issues in years to come, in the same way tobacco and alcohol have given us many issues in the last few decades.

In the last few decades? Becca, that's bollocks. Smoking was spotted to cause harm centuries ago, alcohol even longer. The only reason smoking and lung cancer has become a major issue is because people are living long enough to die from cancer rather than anything else.

You know part of the reason weed is considered "cool" at the moment? For the precise reason that it is illegal. It's a "safe" form of rebellion. Put it behind the counter of the grocer's with similar (relevant) warnings to tobacco and ban its advertisement and suddenly it's a lot less cool.

Yes. Perhaps not as well as we do with tobacco, but we would know. We know the effect of Diazepam (Valium) on public health despite it being around for less than 50 years and restricted for most of that time.

We do already know that marijuana presents health issues, as you've said. And my issue is with what you agree - we don't know as well as tobacco, which we only know because of it's large scale use. At a time when we're trying to get more people to quit smoking, I don't see how added another drug on the market is going to help anyone.

It's already socially acceptable to do so. Statistically speaking, just under half of the students at my uni smoked pot last year. Only 16% smoked tobacco regularly and a further 24% smoking socially.

Source to this? Also, I think you may hang around with different people than me, because in my social circles it's definitely not acceptable to do so. Certainly not in public, at least.

In the last few decades? Becca, that's bollocks. Smoking was spotted to cause harm centuries ago, alcohol even longer. The only reason smoking and lung cancer has become a major issue is because people are living long enough to die from cancer rather than anything else.

I wasn't speaking specifically health issues, though the fact those issues were spotted centuries ago doesn't really help anyone until the age of spreading information quickly and efficiently happened - with tv, the internet etc.

However, other issues include those given to the NHS (Increased HUGELY in the last few years) and social issues; the amount of crime and social disorder due to those drinking and possibly being high is never-ending, and was not as much of an issue 'centuries ago'

You know part of the reason weed is considered "cool" at the moment? For the precise reason that it is illegal. It's a "safe" form of rebellion. Put it behind the counter of the grocer's with similar (relevant) warnings to tobacco and ban its advertisement and suddenly it's a lot less cool.

In the same way alcohol being legal makes it less cool? We both know that's not true. I very much doubt that legalising marijuana will make it less popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back