Writing - Adapted Screenplay

Winner: "12 Years a Slave" - John Ridley

NOMINEES:
"Before Midnight" - Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke
"Captain Phillips" - Billy Ray
"Philomena" - Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope
"The Wolf of Wall Street" - Terence Winter

Music - Original Song

Winner: "Let It Go" from "Frozen," Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

NOMINEES:
"Alone Yet Not Alone" from "Alone Yet Not Along," Music by Bruce Broughton; Lyric by Dennis Spiegel
"Happy" from "Despicable Me 2," Music and Lyrics by Pharrell Williams
"The Moon Song" from "Her," Music by Karen O, Lyric by Karen O and Spike Jonze
"Ordinary Love" from "Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom," Music by Paul Hewson, Dave Evans, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen; Lyric by Paul Hewson

Foreign Language Film

Winner: "The Great Beauty" (Italy)

NOMINEES:
"The Broken Circle Breakdown" (Belgium)
"The Hunt" (Denmark)
"Omar" (Palestine)
Cinematography
Winner: "Gravity"
NOMINEES:
"The Grandmaster"
"Inside Llewyn Davis"
"Nebraska"
"Prisoners"

Costume Design

Winner: "The Great Gatsby"

NOMINEES:
"American Hustle"
"The Grandmaster"
"The Invisible Woman"
"12 Years A Slave"

Documentary - Feature

Winner: "20 Feet from Stardom"

NOMINEES:
"The Act of Killing"
"Cutie and the Boxer"
"Dirty Wars"
"The Square"

Documentary - Short

Winner: "The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life"

NOMINEES:
"CaveDigger"
"Facing Fear"
"Karama Has No Walls"
"Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall"

Film Editing

NOMINEES:
"American Hustle"
"Captain Phillips"
"Dallas Buyers Club"
"12 Years a Slave"

Makeup And Hairstyling

Winner: "Dallas Buyers Club"
NOMINEES:
"Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa"
"The Lone Ranger"

Music - Original Score

NOMINEES:
"The Book Thief"
"Her"
"Philomena"
"Saving Mr. Banks"

Production Design

Winner: "The Great Gatsby"

NOMINEES:
"American Hustle"
"Gravity"
"Her"
"12 Years a Slave"

Short Film - Animated

Winner: "Mr. Hublot"

NOMINEES:
"Feral"
"Get a Horse!"
"Possessions"
"Room on the Broom"

Short Film - Live Action

Winner: "Helium"

NOMINEES:
"Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)"
"Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything)"
"Pitääkö Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)"
"The Voorman Problem"

Sound Editing

NOMINEES:
"All Is Lost"
"Captain Phillips"
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug"
"Lone Survivor"

Sound Mixing

NOMINEES:
"Captain Phillips"
"Inside Llewyn Davis"
"Lone Survivor"

Visual Effects

NOMINEES:
"Iron Man 3"
"The Lone Ranger"
"Star Trek Into Darkness"

I don't have any big problems with 12 Years A Slave taking best picture. The Wolf Of Street's winless slide doesn't surprise me at all (Someday, Leo. Someday), but American Hustle? With the all the hype behind it, you had to expect something , or one major award as a mimnuim. Still, I'm glad, because American Hustle is horribly overrated. It's hard to make an argument for anyone else over Lupita Nyong'o and Cate Blanchett, and Alfonso Cuarón was a lock for Best Director.

For me, the show really dragged with the constant barrage of wins for Gravity every five minutes, and you could tell they rushed everything towards the end to make up for lost time.

I didn't have a big problem with Ellen as host, and the big story of the night happened, when Ellen crashed Twitter with this photo:

BhxWutnCEAAtEQ6.jpg

I thought Cate Blanchett telling Julia Roberts to suck it was the stuff of legend. If only she preempted it by saying she had 2 words!

I think/hope wrestling had an influence here.

I prefer Wolf to American Hustle. I thought Leo was finally going to take it this year, especially after that NBC news package showed some guy showcasing the trophy with the nameplate reading Leo's name on it; or did I imagine that? IDK. I hope he gets it someday, guy must be thinking at this point what he has to do to win one. The day he does, that speech will be the stuff of legend. Just him screaming, "YESSSSSSSSSSS!!" into the microphone for 10 minutes.

But yeah, not surprised Hustle didn't come away with anything. It was a lot of hype for a movie that while good, just wasn't as good as some make it out to be. Loved Dallas Buyers Club and both McConaughey and Jared Leto deserve their awards.

I prefer Wolf to American Hustle. I thought Leo was finally going to take it this year, especially after that NBC news package showed some guy showcasing the trophy with the nameplate reading Leo's name on it; or did I imagine that? IDK. I hope he gets it someday, guy must be thinking at this point what he has to do to win one. The day he does, that speech will be the stuff of legend. Just him screaming, "YESSSSSSSSSSS!!" into the microphone for 10 minutes.

But yeah, not surprised Hustle didn't come away with anything. It was a lot of hype for a movie that while good, just wasn't as good as some make it out to be. Loved Dallas Buyers Club and both McConaughey and Jared Leto deserve their awards.

They did show his nameplate, but the problem was that they didn't indicate that a. the voting hadn't even happened b. they make plates for all nominees prior to the show now so they can take the award home with them on the night.

Honestly, Leo has had better films he's been in and I honestly didn't think he'd win with Wolf of Wall Street this year. I am surprised that American Hustle didn't take one award given it had the most nominations, along with Gravity.

Happy that Matthew McConaughey won. I enjoyed Dallas Buyer's Club, and I love most anything that he is in. Other than that, the Oscars are becoming a chore to get through. They really need to cut out showing the technical awards and focus on 5-8 awards to show on television.

Ellen was fine. The winners were fine. The awards process was long. That’s kind of the theme now for the Academy Awards. It was fine, but it could be so much better.

I got five out of six right in the sexy categories (BP, BD, BActor, BActress, BSActor, BSActress), so at least I can give myself a pat on the back for this.

Here are my thoughts on the Oscar results:

1) Guilt and sentiment always prevail when it comes to Best Picture and technical wizardry (almost) always prevails when it comes to Best Director: This statement was borne out by last night's results. 12 Years A Slave now joins Crash, Shakespeare in Love, and Driving Miss Daisy as films that won because they either pulled at the consciences or tugged at the heartstrings of AMPAS members. Of course, ethics and emotion usually mean shit when it comes to the directors branch of AMPAS, so always the film with the greatest technical feats to come out on top here (the exception being Kathryn Bigelow beating out ex-husband James Cameron).

2) Although his performance was great, McConaughey won because of the McConaissance and not because his performance was the best of the year: Three leading male performances given this year were better than McConaughey's (Robert Redford in All Is Lost, Joaquin Phoenix in Her, and Bruce Dern in Nebraska) but McConaughey only had to compete against one of them for the Oscar. That being said, I am extremely happy that Matthew won; I am astounded that a man we all thought was doomed to star in shitty rom-coms with Kate Hudson for the rest of his career was able to do a complete 180 this late in the game. Although I think acting awards should be given solely based on the merit of the nominated performance, I'm okay with this one. Also, Bruce Dern being nominated was an award in itself; although Dern came from a very well-to-do family and worked with many of the film industry's greats, he was never able to capitalize on the many opportunities afforded to him. In other words, Dern is sort of like an older version of Josh Brolin.

3) Cate Blanchett's performance was the best given this year and no one should feel bad for Amy Adams: There's really not much more to comment on here. Watch Blue Jasmine and American Hustle. I guarantee that you'll agree with me.

4) American Hustle was this year's Up In The Air: A little more than 4 years ago, the Jason Reitman-helmed dramedy Up In The Air gained huge momentum at the end of 2009 and rode it into the awards season by picking up six Oscar nominations. Like American Hustle, Up In The Air came up completely empty on Oscar night. It is good to know that AMPAS members shook off the American Hustle's spell and saw it for the completely mediocre film that it was. Just like Up In The Air, American Hustle will soon be forgotten, only to be remembered when another extremely overrated film picks more Oscar nominations than it deserves (if it deserves any at all).

5) Michael Fassbender should have beaten Jared Leto for Best Supporting Actor, but the result is fine by me: Why, you ask? Because Leto will probably never receive another Oscar nomination in his lifetime while Fassbender is well on his way to receiving nominations throughout the rest of his career. Let's just hope that he doesn't end up like Peter O'Toole, who had the misfortune to be nominated for Best Actor on 8 occasions but always came up short against one-trick ponies like Leto or iconic performances from men that were just a bit more legendary than O'Toole himself.

They really need to cut out showing the technical awards and focus on 5-8 awards to show on television.

Yeah, I don't know if they still do it, because it's a been a while for me, but the Grammy Awards show the lesser awards and the winners on a picture slide show during down time periods. Helps the show with a more smooth flow. Hopefully, The Oscars consider a similar format in the future for technical awards.

2) Although his performance was great, McConaughey won because of the McConaissance and not because his performance was the best of the year: Three leading male performances given this year were better than McConaughey's (Robert Redford in All Is Lost, Joaquin Phoenix in Her, and Bruce Dern in Nebraska) but McConaughey only had to compete against one of them for the Oscar. That being said, I am extremely happy that Matthew won; I am astounded that a man we all thought was doomed to star in shitty rom-coms with Kate Hudson for the rest of his career was able to do a complete 180 this late in the game. Although I think acting awards should be given solely based on the merit of the nominated performance, I'm okay with this one. Also, Bruce Dern being nominated was an award in itself; although Dern came from a very well-to-do family and worked with many of the film industry's greats, he was never able to capitalize on the many opportunities afforded to him. In other words, Dern is sort of like an older version of Josh Brolin.

Agreed with McConaughey having the benefit of avoiding tougher competition with the snubs for Phoenix and Redford. McConaughey put together one hell of a comeback story, but Redford’s remarkable ability to convey The Sailor’s frustrations, his anger, and a crushing sense of hopelessness with facial expressions and body language deserves admiration and recognition. Redford's pointing the finger at Lionsgate for a lack of distribution, and "no campaign to cross over into the mainstream."

The full story for anyone, who's interested:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robert-redford-blames-lionsgate-for-oscars-snub-1201061298/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back