• "The Invisible Woman"
• "12 Years a Slave"

Best Cinematography
• Philippe Le Sourd, "The Grandmaster"
• Emmanuel Lubezki, "Gravity"
• Bruno Delbonnel, "Inside Llewyn Davis"
• Phedon Papamichael, "Nebraska"
• Roger A. Deakins, "Prisoners"

I'm shocked The Wolf Of Wall Street received any nominations. I finally had a chance to see it a few a days ago, and with the more prudish and conservative critics shitting all over TWOW for being too sleazy and raunchy, I was sure the Academy would snub it all together. As always, I'm pulling for Leo to take home the gold (he should've been nominated for Unchained last year, not Christoph Waltz ), but I have feeling they'll give this one to Bale.

I don't get all the hype for American Hustle. I enjoyed the movie, but it's on my list of vastly overrated films for 2013. As far as Best Actress goes, Cate Blanchett has to win for Blue Jasmine. Her flawless performance was something to admire, but you're always in trouble, when Meryl Streep is nominated for a Best Actress award.

I still have a lot of catching up to do for the nominees this year, because I need to see Philomena, 12 Years A Slave, Dallas Buyers Club, Captain Phillips, and Nebraska at some point.

A little bit disappointed in the nominations list. Right off the bat, I have to admit that two of my predictions were completely wrong (the Bale and Scorsese nominations). The Bale nomination isn't surprising, but the Scorsese nomination is really surprising. Conversely, the Bale nomination is completely undeserved while Scorsese nomination is only relatively undeserved. If I had it my way, Scorsese would have been replaced with Spike Jonze for Her; ideally, Scorsese would have stayed while David O. Russell was taken out but unfortunately AMPAS seems to have a hard-on for the completely underwhelming American Hustle. Also, Joaquin Phoenix should have gone in over both Bale and DiCaprio (I would have been indifferent to Redford going in over DiCaprio, but Bale shouldn't be in there at all).

However, with all this being said, I don't really care about the nominations that much. The Academy can fuck up for the next ten years for all I care since they rightly recognized the greatest living director with a nomination last year.

As far as who wins, I think everything's up in the air. I think Ejiofor takes Best Actor, Blanchett takes Best Actress, Nyong'o (sp?) takes Supporting Actress, Leto takes Supporting Actor (Fassbender should win, but won't; also, I'm thrilled about the Jonah Hill nomination...he was the best thing about The Wolf of Wall Street), Cuaron takes Best Director, and 12 Years a Slave takes Best Picture.

Nice to see the obvious hard-on for American Hustle. I really don't get why so many people love it. I went to see it in the cinema and thought it was alright, my girlfriend thought the same. In contrast we also went to see TWOW with some friends and all of us loved it. I thought it was obnoxious that it was different, didn't slow down much until the end.

Not seen 12 Years a Slave yet so can't comment, but nice to see my countryman Michael Fassbender getting some love. Any film hes in is instantly watchable, and he usually delivers. Recently watched Fish Tank on Netflix and despite his supporting role being decently minimal, he was the obvious star.

Glad to see Philomena get some nominations. It ain't winning a thing, but then the best films rarely do.

Hanks did enough in that final scene of Captain Phillips to get my vote.....wait, Christian Bale, what are you doing in Tom's spot.

American Hustle was funny in places, I admit. But, yeah, the love in is completely lost on me. I've not met anybody yet who's blown away by it.

The best animated film category can probably be retired now. The Croods? Despicable Me 2? Ok, I guess. That's the highest praise anybody but a child can give them.

Gravity will win Best Director. 12 Years a Slave will get best film.

At the end of the day, all we really want from the Oscars is to see what the ladies are wearing on the red carpet. And as usual, I'm sure they'll deliver.

It's actually shaping up to be a pretty exciting race, save for a few categories, especially since the precursors have had some splits.

I think the only locks in the main categories are Cuaron for director, Leto for supporting actor, Blanchett for actress (she was phenomenal!), Frozen for animated, and Gravity for cinematography.

I have a feeling best picture will still lean toward 12 Years A Slave (a very good film), though American Hustle could sneak in. The academy loves David O Russell, he's an actor's director, and they make up the largest voting block. I haven't seen it & most of those I know who have weren't overly impressed. I'm thinking Nyong'o will take supporting actress over J-Law. I think she's awesome but she had last year & will have many more nominations coming her way.

My biggest hope is that DiCaprio finally gets an academy award. I only see it happening if he gets a late push or if Ejiofor & McConaughey split the vote. The guy is an amazing actor & the time has come. That said, I think it will be McConaughey's year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back