Metallica vs U2

• Metallica

• U2

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

80's Region Final Four Match #1

#1 Metallica vs #4 U2

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

Polls will be open for 7 days. You don't need to vote right away - let's see some debate on these two bands before you all vote the winner in!

Metallica all the way here. Metallica is the pioneer thrash metal band, not to mention the best selling heavy metal band of all time. Their music is so good that it's almost ridiculous. They have a great songwriter in James Hetfield, and one of the greatest guitarists of all time in Kirk Hammet. To deny these guys the top spot in the 80's would be a crime in my honest opinion.

U2 have always been a solid band, but they aren't even close to as talented as Metallica in my opinion. They've had their hits, and sold millions of records worldwide, but comparing them to one of the greatest selling and well respected bands in the history of metal is almost unfair. Metallica have helped change the landscape of modern rock and metal, U2 have not.

Metallica in the 80's was something different, an alternative to glam metal and new wave. They offered a harder, more agressive music that brought a lot of fans in. They, along with Slayer, Anthrax, and Megadeth, brought thrash metal to the masses. Metallica, along with Nirvana, were contributing factors in the death of the glam metal scene, and the birth of harder rock in the 90's.

While some people claim they "sold out", because they decided to cut their hair and change their sound a little bit, I see it as a way for them to show their true talent with musical diversity. And even with their haters, they've still managed to outsell almost every band in the world. Their music, influence, and longevity are enough of an argument to vote them over U2 alone. Not to mention the talent of each individual band member.

I honestly think that Metallica should win the 80's Region by a landslide, and I hope most of you agree with me.

U2 have always been a solid band, but they aren't even close to as talented as Metallica in my opinion. They've had their hits, and sold millions of records worldwide, but comparing them to one of the greatest selling and well respected bands in the history of metal is almost unfair. Metallica have helped change the landscape of modern rock and metal, U2 have not.

Umm...are you serious? If anything, Metallica shouldn't be compared to U2, not the other way around. U2 has won 22 Grammy awards, compared to Metallica's 7. Metallica may be one of the most respected metal bands ever, but U2 is one of the most respected bands, period, no specific genre needed. You wanna talk about greatest selling bands? U2 has outsold Metallica in total album sales. U2 has had their hits...far more than Metallica has. Metallica appeals to a specific genre of music fan, U2 albums are listened to by more than just Metal heads.

I am not dissing Metallica...but, lets face it, when it comes to a comparison between Metallica and U2, and their importance and influence over the entire rock and roll scene, and not just metal, U2 wins easily. More albums sold, more awards won, more #1 songs, and bigger arenas sold out in more countries. I like Metallica...but U2 is far more significant.

I also voted for U2. And I TOTALLY expect this to be an absolutely dogfight to day 7.

Metallica is an amazing band. I have tried to reason through them in the past, claiming them to be "over rated." I even created a well traveled thread on why Megadeth was better than Metallica. But overall, you cannot deny the mark Metallica has made on the face of music in general. Doing what they did from a metal pulpit is all the more impressive.

Let's take the fact that U2's music, by design, appeals to a wider base of fans. We know that, but it doesn't make U2 a better band. As a whole, U2 has been far more consistent over their careers than Metallica has. We have not seen a decline in U2's music, not even for a day. Even the recent "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" was a fantastic peice of musical work, and the hit song "Vertigo" was everywhere.

Metallica, on the other hand, has struggled to reclaim its glory days. Now, I personally thought Load was an amazing album, and one that truly showed their musical range. The backlash over Load was so ridiculous, and went to prove how short-sighted and often musically naive so many Metallica fans can be. But let's also face two major facts about Metallica - 1) S&M was a neat idea, but it was gimmicky. It was a repackage of old songs with new back up musicians. 2) St. Anger was total shit.

U2 also has a FAR greater international reach. While Metallica is huge statewide, U2 is legendary in the US, Ireland, UK, Canada, and Austrailia. As this tournament has taught us, it's one thing to be huge in one country (i.e.: Muse, Arctic Monkeys), it's an entirely other feat to transcend borders the way only a few bands - like The Beatles, Queen, U2, etc- have done. Metallica doesn't have the same level of claim for international fame as U2 does.

Let's also look at effect U2 has had on society. U2's music is so politicaly fueled, that the band and Bono have been asked on several occassions to meet with World Leaders and even serve as ambassadors in times of conflict. THAT is musical leadership. It's not like Metallica, whose biggest contribution to political society was the fight against music pirating. And Napster still made Lars Ullrich look like a clown.

Musical influence? Close, but I give the edge to U2.

Metallica has influenced a good number of successful nads, such as Korn, Godsmack (who were far more influenced by Alice in Chains than anyone else), Machine Head, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.

U2 is credited with the influence of Snow Patrol, The Fray, OneRepublic, Coldplay, The Academy Is..., The Killers, Your Vegas, Angels & Airwaves, Our Lady Peace, Mary J. Blige, The Chimes, Pearl Jam, James Blunt, tobyMac, Darlene Zschech, Pet Shop Boys, Ignite, The Smashing Pumpkins, Keane, Pillar, Utada Hikaru, Dream Theater, Sepultura, Saul Williams, The Living End, The Upper Room and The Bravery.

I went with U2 here, because I feel they are more musically complete, have more variety in their music, and have left a greater mark on music as a whole.

But I won't fault anyone for voting for Metallica here, either.

There is that old saying, that Rock and Roll can change the world...U2 lives by that credo. Metallica may have strong influence over hard rock metal bands, but, the members of U2 are busy influencing politicians and world leaders, in addition to other musical acts. Whether its Bono's relentless efforts to forgive 3rd world debt, or Edge's campaign with "Music Rising", to replace musical instruments lost in Katrina, or the international One campaign to end world poverty, started by the band, and named of course after their song by the same name. Its great that Metallica has influenced other hard rock bands. Its great that their music is respected. They simply don't compare overall to everything that U2 has accomplished. While Metallica is busy trying to save the internet from music piracy, U2 is busy trying to save the world.

Well everything I reason I could possiably think of for Metallica to win this region can be summed up in this little video

[youtube]Q6HqAKtMYNs[/youtube]

Metallica is one of the biggest bands in the world and they are part of a genre of music that has never even really been accept by mainstream audience, their are alot of people out there that hate metal yet still love Metallica, that's simply cause Metallica is just that danm good, I really can't say the same thing about too many other bands, damn near everybody in the fucking world can name a Metallica song, and where as U2 is good, and will put up a heel of a fight, I truly feel that if Metallica doesn't win this, then we will have lost possibly the best band in the tournament

One thing is for sure, I fully expect Metallica/U2 to be an absolute fucking war, but as I said before I truley beleive anything other than a Metallica victory is just unacceptable

Justin, that video just made my day!! It definately gave more than a dozen reasons to vote for Metallica. They are one of the most successful bands in history, not just in metal, but in music. They may be classified as a metal band, but they draw fans from all areas. My brother is a music teacher who loves classical music, but he likes Metallica. U2 is a good band and Bono has done alot for humanity. But Metallica is a great band who has done wonders for music.

I was leaning towards Metallica, but with that video it's now not even close. That video is 3:00 long, and after 1:30 I was out of songs I could think of. The next 90 seconds had songs I hadn't even thought of. Metallica has the seconds most songs on my ipod second only to my all time favorite band of 3 Doors Down, and there's a bunch of their stuff I don't have. They're the all time kings of metal and leave nothing to be desired for rock music. While taking nothing away from U2, they're getting blown away here. When I picture these two playing at the same time I see Bono and the Edge getting blown off the stage by Metallica just screaming at them to no end. U2 is a great band, but they're simply out matched here.

Metallica take this one. es, both have had huge successes and spawned thousands of bands who cite them as an influence.

But Bono is a ypocrite, anyone who begs us to part with our hard earned cash, then sighns a huge deal with Pepsi can go swivel. ********

Umm...are you serious? If anything, Metallica shouldn't be compared to U2, not the other way around. U2 has won 22 Grammy awards, compared to Metallica's 7. Metallica may be one of the most respected metal bands ever, but U2 is one of the most respected bands, period, no specific genre needed. You wanna talk about greatest selling bands? U2 has outsold Metallica in total album sales. U2 has had their hits...far more than Metallica has. Metallica appeals to a specific genre of music fan, U2 albums are listened to by more than just Metal heads.
I guess my love for Metallica and hatred for U2 blinded me for a minute there. I went and did some research, and you are indeed correct that U2 has more album sales than Metallica. But you also have to factor in the fact that U2 has been around 8 years longer and had more albums out than Metallica. I won't go into the Grammy's, because those really aren't all that important.

U2 is definitely a respected band, but I don't think they're on Metallica's level when it comes to talent and music writing. They have a more mainstream audience because softer rock is more listened to by a majority of people than hard rock and metal. But just because U2 has more album sales and more grammy's doesn't mean that they're the better band. When it comes to writing music, it's hard to find a band better than Metallica.

U2 has more influence in modern alternative rock than anything else, while Metallica influences hard rock and heavy metal. They are two vastly different bands, and I'm sure that the votes for this one will mostly be on personal taste more than anything else. It will be a battle, but I'm sure Metallica will win.

I have to award some respect to Justinsayne. When I posted this morning on this match, the score was 3-2 in favor of U2. THEN, Justin posted his video, and now Metallica is romping one of the greatest bands of all time, 12-6. Granted there are 7 days to vote in the regional semis, but DAMN that's an impressive swing. Even though it went against my choice in this match, I have to offer up some respect to Justin for turning the tide so vehemently.

I think some people are underestimating the influence of Metallica. Metallica brought an entire genre of music to the mainstream, with Master of Puppets becoming the first Thrash Metal record to make the Billboard 200. The amount and diversity of tributes to them are unmated. Not only do they have Death Metal and other extreme Metal bands paying tribute to them, but Rap, Funk, Bluegrass, Rock, Punk artists, along with Piano, Cello and String tributes in honour of them. Not many bands of any genre can claim influence and inspiration which spreads that far.

Their self-titled album is one of the biggest selling albums of all time. It's sold more than 22 million copies worldwide, (I belive, not 100% sure) more than any single U2 album in their entire catalogue. Their first five albums are all masterpieces in their own rights, and I personally consider no U2 album to come close to any of them in terms of quality.

As for Metallica's 'international reach', well, they're worldwide rock stars. They sell out stadiums in England, Norway, America, Russia, Finland, Australia, Greece etc. They've attained Gold/Platinum status in over fourty countries worldwide. Since the year 2000, their album sales are second only to The Beatles. Since 1990, they've been among the top 5 touring acts in the world.

While I understand U2's significance and respect them, I'm voting Metallica.

Wait...Metallica writes better songs than U2? Rolling Stone magazine put out a list of its top 500 songs of all-time...U2 makes the list 6 times, Metallica once, at #399 for Enter Sandman. I guess, what criteria do you judge songwriting ability by? I am trying to be impartial, Metallica is one of the most influential hard rock bands of all time, perhaps second only to Led Zepplin. But, when I compare Metallica and U2, I simply don't get how someone who knows both bands could conclude that Metallica has been more influential over the course of their music career than U2 has been. Up until this point, I had been voting for Metallica over their competition...but, against U2, Metallica doesn't match up. Take emotions out of it, and judge them based on influence, not whether you personally like them better or not.

Wait...Metallica writes better songs than U2?
I personally think so yes. It's not a fact that either band writes better song than the other, it's personal preference.

Rolling Stone magazine put out a list of its top 500 songs of all-time...U2 makes the list 6 times, Metallica once, at #399 for Enter Sandman.
Right, because Rolling Stone magazine is the bible and the be-all end-all of music right?

I guess, what criteria do you judge songwriting ability by?
It depends on artist and genre. U2 have some good songs, but Metallica have more.

But, when I compare Metallica and U2, I simply don't get how someone who knows both bands could conclude that Metallica has been more influential over the course of their music career than U2 has been.
Nobody said that. I just stated the diversity of Metallica's influence.

against U2, Metallica doesn't match up. Take emotions out of it, and judge them based on influence, not whether you personally like them better or not.
This tournament isn't based on influence alone.

Rolling Stone magazine put out a list of its top 500 songs of all-time...U2 makes the list 6 times, Metallica once, at #399 for Enter Sandman.

Thats ike saying PWI is the bible for pro wrestling.

They gave Cena its award for best wrestler two years runnning....

And rated the Hogan/Rock match over the superb Angle/Benoit vs Rey/Edge match

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back