Metallica vs Michael Jackson

• Metallica

• Michael Jackson

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

4th Round 80's Region Match

#1 Metallica vs #16 Michael Jackson

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

I throw my vote in with Michael Jackson. He may be a freak, and personally, I cannot stand him, but, lets be honest, he has sold more albums than just about anyone, and while his personal life is a disaster, his music is brilliant. I really wanted to vote for Metallica, but, up against the entire career of Michael Jackson, I couldn't. What Elvis is to American rock and roll, Jackson was/is to American pop music. The entire pop industry is influenced by him.

Great Post, Davi, but I went with Metallica. This feels odd to me, because I am not a huge Metallica fan. I think they are ok.

Michael Jackson IS the King of Pop. He's put out so much great music in three decades. He's like the Barry Bonds of music - a surefire Hall of Famer if not for the negative press and allegations against him. Thriller remains to this day one of the greatest albums of all time. Overall, the man is fantastic.

But this is a rock tournament, and while MJ did deserve to participate and win several matches because of how seemlessly he crossed over into the rock genre, in a ROCK tournament, I have to give the nod to Metallica. They don't just play rock music, they ARE rock.

While I still feel that Metallica bastardized progressive metal a bit, I will not deny how great some of their work was. A terrific collection of musicians rather than one great solo performer and some sound effects. I still look at Ride the Lightning as a top to bottom masterpeice.

But if MJ wins here, I won't be upset. I just think Metallica is too ROCK to lose to the King of Pop in a rock tournament.

Wow, great matchup. Two of the biggest, most influential and legendary names in music. While I'm not going to discredit Jackson for his accomplishments, this is a rock tournament. Personally, I think Metallica are the greatest Rock/Metal band of all time. Their influence is undeniable, it's not everyday a Metal band has tributes by Techno, Hip-Hop, Bluegrass, Piano, Harpsichord and Punk artists, showing that their influence goes far beyond that of Rock and Metal. They are also the biggest selling Metal band of all time, though in comparison to Jackson, they cannot compete here.

As for both artists body of work, Metallica wins this with ease. Michael Jackson has only released two albums worth of great, enjoyable music. Metallica have six. Not only do they offer up top-notch classic Thrash Metal with their earlier works, their self-titled offers some straight-up ass kicking Heavy Metal with a groove. Load offers yet another alternative in a Hard Rock album with a Bluesy tinge.

I'm a fan of Jackson and some of his selected works, but I'm voting for Metallica here.

This was a tough choice, but I went with Metallica. Yes, Jackson is the king of pop, yes his album sales are through the roof, yes he was more appealing to the mainstream, but as IC said, it's like Barry Bonds. While he may have done all these things, the issues he's brought on himself makes it too difficult for me to vote for him. On the other hand you have Metallica, the kings of metal. While Jackson has been around since the 70s, Metallica has been around for a long time as well, since the late 80s. Jackson has greatly slowed in his amoung of releases, while Metallica still fairly regularly releases new stuff, with a new album coming out later this year. Have to go with the kings of metal over the king of pop, but not by a landslide.

Voting for Michael Jackson. Yes, this MAY be a rock tournament, and techincally, Michael Jackson did more for ALL genres of music, not just his pop.

He revolutionised the pop music industry and really gave Mainstream America a black superstar(other than Hendrix, i really cant think of a Black guy who achieved more)

Great match up here, but I have to go with Metallica. Yes, they are my favorite band, but I truly feel that they have been influential beyond what words can describe to the world of rock. They have influence nearly every band in all genres of rock over the past 20 years. They almost single handedly invented speed/thrash metal in the early 80's. Not to mention that they are still very relevant today. They have continued to reinvent themselves over the past 25 years and have continued to gain a wider fanbase.

Dont get me wrong, I am a fan of Metallica(even though St Anger was a crap album comapred to the good old days of Metallica) :)

Im just torn. One side, one of my favourite bands. On the other, one of my favourite pop artists(he might be a bit wierd nowadays), but in the 80s, he was THE man!

Dont get me wrong, I am a fan of Metallica(even though St Anger was a crap album comapred to the good old days of Metallica) :)

Im just torn. One side, one of my favourite bands. On the other, one of my favourite pop artists(he might be a bit wierd nowadays), but in the 80s, he was THE man!

Well, look at it this way then, the name of the tournament is the WZ Rock Tournament, not the WZ pop tournament, make the right decision and go with Metallica, everyone else that has posted in favor of Metallica has pretty much said anything I would say, simply put, this should be a close match up but I think Metallica is the right decision here, as they are the better band, especially considering this is a Rock tounrny, if this were a pop tourney then the King of Pop could be that way to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back