6-Sided ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK-aholic

Shawn Michaels ❤
This is the one thing I really dislike about TNA. That ring just doesn't seem 'natural'. It looks like the sort of thing you would get in a random indy fed, rather than what you would get in the second biggest wrestling promotion in the world. It doesn't feel like wrestling when I see that ring, it feels 'fake'. [For the record, I'm not saying wrestling is real in general].

I think get them changed to a 4 sided ring and they could actually make it a lot bigger. I think WWE fans would be more likely to watch TNA also as the first thing you notice; the ring, is familiar to them. Probably due to the success and popularity of the WWE, but it feels like you're going to get a 'classic' show with a 4 sided ring, whereas the 6 sided one makes me think of gimmicks, and a quick hit of wrestling, not something you could ever really get into and watch religiously.

Should they have a 4 sided ring?

The 6 sided ring makes the wrestling look less smooth and a lot more fake, as Becca said. The wrestlers have to learn to get used to it and IMO a 4 sided ring would be easier to wrestle in. TNA should have a 4 sided ring, to make them bigger as it will be the same and they don't have to get adjusted to watching a new kind of ring. Also, the 4 sided ring is the way it has always been, and the 6 sided ring makes TNA unique. But if they changed to a 4 sided ring, they would still be unique, so I cannot think of a reason why TNA should keep thhe 6 sided ring.

Six sides make the TNA ring unique in terms of North American viewership, and is a viable way of pointing out the difference between the two major Organizations of the WWE and TNA. It is designed for the X Division type wrestlers to excel in. It is not a ring that is made for the running clotheslines. Because of the length between the posts the ropes (cables most likely, correct me if I am wrong Glenn) the ropes are much more tauter allowing for the greater use of Aerial maneouvers, AJ Styles has gone on the record for NZPWI saying that he loves working with the Six Sided Ring. The Interview is at this link Here. Also the Six sided and even Eight Sided Rings can be found in Mexico.

A point that I noticed in there before I answer the question posed properly. WWE is clearly the Number 1 promotion in most cases around the world for Wrestling. However in terms of revenue Gathering TNA is far from being the number 2 promotion in the World. That destinction goes to one of the 3 big Japanese promotions, Im not sure which.

Now onto my thoughts on whether TNA should have a four sided or a six sided ring. I think that TNA should retain the six sided ring, if purely for marketing reasons. However from a basic standpoint, it is a key component of the X Division to use the corners and the ropes more creatively than what can be done in a traditional ring. It also should create a ring movement in the Heavyweights in so much as they don't run the ropes as much as you see in the WWE where that is the extent of certain heavyweights ring offence.

This is the one thing I really dislike about TNA. That ring just doesn't seem 'natural'.

That's because it isn't 'natural', it's 'unique'. It's T.N.A. trying to show they aren't the W.W.E.. good or bad, it's them honestly trying to be different.

It looks like the sort of thing you would get in a random indy fed, rather than what you would get in the second biggest wrestling promotion in the world.

You say that to make it sound as if they're remotely on-par with the W.W.E.. that's cute. :lmao:

The fact is though, the different style ring is one of a couple reasons that has added to their success and made them the "second biggest wrestling promotion in the world."

It doesn't feel like wrestling when I see that ring, it feels 'fake'. [For the record, I'm not saying wrestling is real in general].

I honestly question you feeling fake over seeing the ring, or seeing the events held inside of that ring. Because T.N.A. in itself is more 'fake' in the way they do things. It's not original by any standard, they try to break limits and do innovative stuff, which often times will lead to a lot of fake looking things.

The ring doesn't add to that or not.. it's just a ring. Does seeing U.F.C. or any M.M.A. event make you think what they're doing is fake? Because they aren't in a 4-sided ring like boxers, yet they throw a lot of punches.

I think get them changed to a 4 sided ring and they could actually make it a lot bigger.

The irony is they started out with a 4-sided ring, and their success has only grown SINCE moving to a 6-sided ring.

So your argument of claiming they could have more success by going back is like telling the W.W.E. they'd have more success if they went back to less flashy moves, and more impactful stuff, such as having suplexes, ddts, and piledrivers as finishers.

You have to grow with the times, you can't just assume because something has always been the 'same' to you.. that it's the only way to gain success.

I think WWE fans would be more likely to watch TNA also as the first thing you notice; the ring, is familiar to them.

I don't mean any disrespect in saying this.. but if a wrestling fan refuses to watch T.N.A. only because their ring isn't 4 sided.. they aren't a wrestling fan, they're just crazy and obsessed with randomly odd things.

Once again, that's about the equal to saying a W.W.F. fan refuses to watch W.W.E. programmming, because the "F" left.

You watch the show, for the show. For the overall product, not the ring, not the name.

Probably due to the success and popularity of the WWE, but it feels like you're going to get a 'classic' show with a 4 sided ring, whereas the 6 sided one makes me think of gimmicks

Once again, I don't exacty know if that's you being honest.. or just saying that because of what the 6-sided ring is tied in with. T.N.A. is gimmick central, so by that connection.. yes.. whenever you think 6-sided ring, you think gimmick.

However, that's no different then asking you (again) if you believe U.F.C. or M.M.A. events are fake because they don't use 4-sided rings, but instead an Octagon.

I see your point in thinking because it's different it doesn't feel right. But that's also being naive in your own beliefs. You're instantly WANTING to assume just because it isn't 'like old times/original' that it's instantly going to be worse, or not as good/real.

and a quick hit of wrestling, not something you could ever really get into and watch religiously.

Well, they must be doing something right.. because they're still around and their fan base is still growing, not decreasing.

Should they have a 4 sided ring?

My answer.. no.

T.N.A. is the 6-sided ring. It's part of their identity, part of who they are now. Wrestling isn't 4-sided rings. You just want to think it is because you've never had an alternative before now.

T.N.A. is doing what they said they were going to. They're trying to be innovative. While the 6-sided ring isn't innovative in general, as others were using it before they were.. it IS innovative to American wrestling, as everyone has only always known the 4-sided rings.

So for T.N.A. to go back to a 4-sided ring, would be them saying they had massive failure with 6-sides. And that's anything but true. Ultimate X is more unique and fun to watch with 6 sides. Multiple man matches are better with more corners. Even Cage matches are fun to watch again with multiple corners.

I never liked the ring. I understand its point for purposes of "springyness" for the X-Division guys, but TNA has long abandoned the X-Division as their spotlight event, and the heavyweights have taken over.

A 4-Sided ring is very unlikely to ever re-appear in TNA,which is too bad, it's just something I'll have to look past I guess.

The ring doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. I think that if you're concentrating on the shape of the ring then you're not watching the wrestling. It's a non issue. The people who sit then, shake there heads and say ''Six sides?'' are the fans who are more intrested in the idea behind wrestling, the stories, the feuds, the gimmicks etc, than the actual wrestling.

TNA's six sided ring makes them different and not like other promotions in the USA.
They originally had a 4 sided ring and were not doing anywhere near as well as they are now and to me looked more boring then ever.

I live by an indy organization that uses the 6 sided ring, so I have seen the 6 sided ring and 4 sided rings live. And there really isn't that much difference. The only knock I had with the 6 sided ring that the indy organization had was that the turnbuckles use to pop off too many times. The 6 sided ring seems to be a little bit bigger.

Wow I think this is how you know a promotion has gone sour. When the fans start asking if the ring is part of a much bigger problem. Point is that the show has gotten that bad that they're focusing on the ring itself and not the product inside it.

Wow I think this is how you know a promotion has gone sour. When the fans start asking if the ring is part of a much bigger problem. Point is that the show has gotten that bad that they're focusing on the ring itself and not the product inside it.

It isnt that its just a lot of people who complain about the ring are only doing so just for the sake of it, any old excuse to put something down. You get the same thing with games, people pulling up comparison vids between consoles or complaing about small graphical imperfections, its just stupid.

As for the ring i love the fact thats its different, i mean it gives you a bit more room and helps the wrestlers who use the top ropes by giving them a bit more stability and its different which helps TNA stand out a little bit more so whats the problem? The fact thats its not 'traditional' is not a good reason as not only does things change but its also such a small part of the whole aspect of wrestling that it really is trivial and shows that some people have their priorities in the wrong place if the shape of a ring is something that puts you off watching a wrestling promotion.

It isnt that its just a lot of people who complain about the ring are only doing so just for the sake of it, any old excuse to put something down. You get the same thing with games, people pulling up comparison vids between consoles or complaing about small graphical imperfections, its just stupid.

Just before you think this is me, I'd like to clarify that I do watch and enjoy TNA. But I believe I'd enjoy it more if the ring was different.

The ring doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. I think that if you're concentrating on the shape of the ring then you're not watching the wrestling. It's a non issue. The people who sit then, shake there heads and say ''Six sides?'' are the fans who are more intrested in the idea behind wrestling, the stories, the feuds, the gimmicks etc, than the actual wrestling.

I disagree. When a ring stands out that much, youare going to notice it. To me it looks odd. I know it's down to the success of the WWE, but it's the 4-sided ring people recognise. And that's the one that is best.

If you start watching TNA after being a WWE fan for so long, the ring will look odd to you. In my opinion it has nothing to do with the match being bad, simply due to the difference. I think if it looked more recognisable to a casual WWE fan, it would make them more likely to want to watch TNA.

I disagree. When a ring stands out that much, youare going to notice it.

You notice it at first. But if you watch the show each week then it's not an issue. It's only one if you're looking for it to be.

To me it looks odd. I know it's down to the success of the WWE, but it's the 4-sided ring people recognise. And that's the one that is best.

A 4 sided ring isn't better. It's the same. It's what happens in the ring that's important.

If you start watching TNA after being a WWE fan for so long, the ring will look odd to you.

I was watching WWE for 15 ears before I started watching TNA. I got used to it straight away.

In my opinion it has nothing to do with the match being bad, simply due to the difference. I think if it looked more recognisable to a casual WWE fan, it would make them more likely to want to watch TNA.

The ring has more chance of attracting new fans though. It makes the promotion look different. Wrestling has a stigma to most people. It's stupid so somebody who's not really watched it before isn't as likely to stop and watch a couple of minutes if it's their usual perception of the sport.

You notice it at first. But if you watch the show each week then it's not an issue. It's only one if you're looking for it to be.

If you only watch TNA it wouldn't be. But because of the amount of WWe compared to TNA, you get used to 4.

A 4 sided ring isn't better. It's the same. It's what happens in the ring that's important.

While I agree what happens in the ring is the most important part, I see nothing wrong with them having the same style ring as WWE. I think it's help them to be taken more seriously. Well as seriously as wrestling can be taken anyway.

The ring has more chance of attracting new fans though. It makes the promotion look different. Wrestling has a stigma to most people. It's stupid so somebody who's not really watched it before isn't as likely to stop and watch a couple of minutes if it's their usual perception of the sport.

But I said a casual WWE fan, meaning someone who does watch the sport. WWE seems a lot more professional and I think people would be more drawn to something which gives off the impression of a version of WWE.

I don't think the 6-sides help them get any fans or anyone watching.

If you only watch TNA it wouldn't be. But because of the amount of WWe compared to TNA, you get used to 4.

It really is a non isse Becca. You look at the ring and it doesn't look any bigger than a WWE ring, and from the angle they shoot from it's not that abvious it's 6 sided.

A positive for it over a WWE ring would be that if TNA had a Survivor Series then the ring wouldn't looks so crowded.

While I agree what happens in the ring is the most important part, I see nothing wrong with them having the same style ring as WWE. I think it's help them to be taken more seriously. Well as seriously as wrestling can be taken anyway.

The ring has nothing to do with TNA being taken seriously. It having steel cages with Christmas lights that has the negative effect.

But I said a casual WWE fan, meaning someone who does watch the sport. WWE seems a lot more professional and I think people would be more drawn to something which gives off the impression of a version of WWE.

The ring doesn't make TNA seen unprofessional though. It's the shitty production values and direction that do that.

And if you like WWE why would you want another version but on a smaller scale? There's enough WWE for you to not bother going somewhere else to watch the same thing.

I don't think the 6-sides help them get any fans or anyone watching.

It did when it was first introduced.

It really is a non isse Becca. You look at the ring and it doesn't look any bigger than a WWE ring, and from the angle they shoot from it's not that abvious it's 6 sided.

Of course it's obvious it's 6 sided.

A positive for it over a WWE ring would be that if TNA had a Survivor Series then the ring wouldn't looks so crowded.

This is true. Where's Inferno when you need him?

The ring has nothing to do with TNA being taken seriously. It having steel cages with Christmas lights that has the negative effect.

The ring doesn't make TNA seen unprofessional though. It's the shitty production values and direction that do that.

:lmao: Good point. But TNA also does have some good fueds and angles. It isn't all the shit people try to say it is. And I thinik some matches would be made to look better in a more 'professional' style ring. 6 sidres does seem very gimmick-y and I think this is an addition as to why some people bad mouth TNA without ever watching it.

And if you like WWE why would you want another version but on a smaller scale? There's enough WWE for you to not bother going somewhere else to watch the same thing.

Because TNA is good too.

When I first started watching TNA, the 6 sided ring instantly stood out to me and I took me a while to adjust to it. Sure, it doesn't look like the traditional 4 sided wrestling ring, but it's not meant to. As Jake mentioned, it's not the ring that makes the TNA seem a little unprofessional, its the bad production cameras and the small arena that does that. I don't mind the 6 sided ring at the moment as it's what makes TNA look totally different from the WWE, which I think is TNA's main goal in bringing in the unique wrestling ring.

The ring doesn't matter if the actual wrestling inside it, is good. The problem with TNA's matches isn't the ring, its the lack of ability to draw emotion from both the fans and the wrestlers themselves. The 6 sided ring should be the least of TNA's concerns right now as they need to focus on more important aspects such as hyping up Bound For Glory well, drawing emotion during and after matches from the fans and getting rid of lame gimmick wrestlers that serve very little purpose in TNA. The 6 sided ring doesn't gain nor lose viewers. It was simply introduced to make TNA stand out as being unique.

If the ring goes back to the normal and traditional 4 sided ring, I won't be upset as it doesn't affect me too much. But I can't see TNA getting rid of their current wrestling ring anyway. It shouldn't bother viewers especially if they were totally focused on the match or promo that is taking place inside the ring. But I would prefer if they kept the ring as it is what identifies TNA aswell as being unique from the traditional 4 sided wrestling ring.

I have to say that a 4-sided ring would definitley help in broading TNA's fanbase...and yes i know the ring was 4 sides in the begining...i also know that the product was better then as well...some can argue that TNA is bigger than ever right now which is true but not because of the 6-sided ring. TNA is bigger now because they have more exposure. The early days of TNA were exclusively on PPV so the audince was naturally smaller then...i mean whose gonna spend money every week to see some guys you've never heard of when i can see the WWE for free 2 times a week(note this was before ECW). I also hear the arugment that the ring is built for the X-division guys...but let's not forget most of the innovation in the X-divison came from within a ring with 4 sides not 6, and also the X-division has become a side note in TNA that these guys rarely show the need for 6 sides. Latley i've seen more excitiment in an Evan Bourne(sydal) match than any X-division bout...i mean honestly what have you seen in this ring that hasn't been done in a 4 sided ring. The wreslters look uncomforatble the mathces don't flow as well it really seems like a live video game rather than a pro wrestling show.

Just before you think this is me, I'd like to clarify that I do watch and enjoy TNA. But I believe I'd enjoy it more if the ring was different.

Sorry it wasnt aimed at you i should have made that clear in my post, its just there always seem to be posters on forums who only ever seem to have under 10 posts ;) complaining about the 6 sided ring like thats whats the most important thing when it clearly isnt.

Maybe TNA will bring back a 4-Sided ring as a Gimmick Match!

Maybe. I think the problem is that TNA are trying to be 'individual' and original, Yet they are failing even more by trying to do this. The fact is How many times they say they are trying not to be like WWE, They are forever copying their style withing their company and its getting annoying to the point where TNA are being more like WWE or even WCW.

When I first started watching TNA I looked at the six-sided ring and thought "this may take a bit of getting used to" but to be honest I was completely wrong, I dont notice it at all when I watch, to me its just a ring it doesnt work any better than a four sided ring and it doesnt work any worse.

It is however different, and sometimes different doesnt mean good, TNA have done many different things that havent been good (although I applaud them for at least trying, and in many cases succeeding) but the six sided ring for me falls into neither category. Its a ring, people wrestle in it, cut promo's in it, it does its job. Neither here nor there really.

Now what TNA really need to sort out is there damn ring cables (kidding kidding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back