5 Years Later: Will Vince McMahon Conceed & Mention/Show Chris Benoit on TV Again

Midnite Express 2009

Getting Noticed By Management
Next month will be the five year anniversary of the tragic and senseless double murder/suicide of Chris Benoit. Vince McMahon vowed days after the news came out that Chris had murdered his son & wife and then hung himself over a 3 day period that he would never mention his name or show any clips/matches of Benoit and he has stayed true to his word. The world has moved on, WWE has moved on, there have obviously been more deaths and more wrestlers to come & go. And yet, Vince has held true to his word that he will not mention Chris Benoit, even going so far as to edit WCW's Monday Nitro when it's aired on WWE Classics on Demand.

But is it time to move on and start showing old matches of Chris? Chris, depsite the last days of his life, was a fantastic wrestler & performer. The man was just great in the ring and there's a whole generation of fans who may not know of him unless they have youtube and are able to view his matches there. Other than that, it's like he's been erased from WWE as if he never existed. I rarely check wwe.com but I'm guessing that his name and title victories, especially his World Heavyweight Title win at WrestleMania XX doesn't exisit either. Can somebody tell me if this is fact or not please?

Nevertheless, is it time for Vince to start mentioning Chris as someone who impacted to sport as well as his company? It's Vince's decision in the end, but perhaps it won't be so bad. The fans have moved on, and I don't think anyone would be affected by showings of Benoit over the years, especially from his days in ECW & WCW. Hopefully Vince McMahon does someday show his matches. But I ask, should he or shouldn't he?

Just looked it up there and on wwe.com they do show that Benoit won the 2004 royal rumble.
http://www.wwe.com/shows/royalrumble/history/1988118/results

and that he won the title at wrestlemania 20
http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/20/results

So he hasn't really stayed to his word by never mentioning Benoit again but has kept any mention of him off the air since the incident came to light.

There was a time a few years back when I checked for it I think it was just after the murders came to light and the winner of the 2004 Royal rumble was listed as N/A so it does look like he has let up a little on mention Benoit.

However I don't think it is likely he will show him on tv again due to the fact that although many people, that didn't follow pro wrestling, will have forgotten about what he did the fact remains that the family of his wife will still remember it and would probably still be highly upset if Benoit was shown in a good light after what he has done.

Thanks for the info. I try to stay away from wwe.com but I did not know that. And you do bring up some good points about Nancy's family probably being sore at Vince showing him on TV. However, to play devil's advocate here, WWE On Demand is not a free service and thus you'd have to pay essentially to see Benoit on TV. If this is the case then who's to say that X amount of people would see matches he was featured in vs. another amount of people.

What I'm driving at is that it's not like Benoit is in the opening montage of Raw or Smackdown. And it's not as if he'd ever be featured extensively in let's say one of those retrospects they do of former DVD releases. I wouldn't mind seeing his matches. I also wouldn't lose sleep if Vince continued to not show him, not matter if it's on Raw, Smackdown or WWE Classics on Demand. I wonder however, if when this new WWE Network gets up and running, if he'll consider it then. Maybe he made a deal with Nancy's family to not mention Chris or show him on WWE TV for a certain amount of years. I could see that happening and him legally having to stick to that, if that were the case. But who knows?

omg this again benoit f ed up his own career over 3 days he killed his wife and kid that's NOT roid rage you tards. I could give a crap less if they never mention benoit again. He was an excellent superstar but i will never forgive what he did he can rot for all i care. He will never be a legend nor does he deserve to be and that's that

I would very rarely go onto wwe.com I only went on this time to check those facts before posting and the last time I went on was to buy a CM Punk t shirt.

I don't think it would matter much if it was available to see for free or if you had to pay for it I think the issue would be the effect it would have on Nancy's family and the negative publicity it would bring to wwe. I would say the reason actually lies more with the negative publicity than how Nancy's family would feel about it, but I don't know that for a fact. Vince may actually feel bad for them I don't know.

I wouldn't mind seeing Benoits achievements showcased but I can see why WWE aren't doing so. I wouldn't imagine he made a deal with them I would say they wanted nothing to do with the company at all but maybe they did to ensure he was not seen or made famous for his past accomplishments and potentially forgiven by fans for what he did, again I don't know.

I don't think he will ever be mentioned on regular WWE programming (Raw, SmackDown, PPV) for obvious reasons. Chris Benoit did something terrible that is inexcusable under any set of circumstances. Mentioning Chris on WWE programming would be associating their product with the type of thing they want to stay the furthest away from.

However, as Teddy Irving said, Vince has begun to back off of his promises by acknowledging Benoit's accomplishments on WWE.com. Also, he was not edited out of the Elimination Chamber DVD set.

omg this again benoit f ed up his own career over 3 days he killed his wife and kid that's NOT roid rage you tards. I could give a crap less if they never mention benoit again. He was an excellent superstar but i will never forgive what he did he can rot for all i care. He will never be a legend nor does he deserve to be and that's that

The question was would he ever be mentioned again if you read the post by the creator you would notice they weren't asking for Benoit to be mentioned but rather wondering if Vince would ever do so again.

Also nobody mentioned the word roid rage and it wasn't put down to that either I believe it was put down to the fact that due to so many shots to the head he had the brain of an 85 year old alzheimers patient. I am in no way saying that is an excuse and that because he wasn't in a correct frame of mind that he should be forgiven those are just the facts of his autopsy.

Also he didn't fuck up his career he fucked up his legacy. His career will always be the same, a long list of accomplishments and titles with some great matches what he will ultimately be remembered for however will not be his wrestling ability or accomplishments but the horrid act he performed.

WWE has done a lot of work to remove his name and image from WWE products. Very rarely will you see his name or image on the website.
After all the work of erasing him from WWE history, I don't see he'll ever be 'brought back' into the mainstream. Whether you still love him or you hate him after what he did, his been written out of corporate history. You'll only hear of him on the internet or news media outlets that cover stories regarding the bad side of Pro Wrestling.

The question was would he ever be mentioned again if you read the post by the creator you would notice they weren't asking for Benoit to be mentioned but rather wondering if Vince would ever do so again.

Also nobody mentioned the word roid rage and it wasn't put down to that either I believe it was put down to the fact that due to so many shots to the head he had the brain of an 85 year old alzheimers patient. I am in no way saying that is an excuse and that because he wasn't in a correct frame of mind that he should be forgiven those are just the facts of his autopsy.

Also he didn't fuck up his career he fucked up his legacy. His career will always be the same, a long list of accomplishments and titles with some great matches what he will ultimately be remembered for however will not be his wrestling ability or accomplishments but the horrid act he performed.

Thank you because I clearly asked would VINCE mention him again since it is his company & ultimately his call. I swear, some people just go off on a fit, wonder if that person had a little bit of rage LOL. And you're right, his legacy is tarnished. Maybe not to the hardcore fans or just his true fans who see that even though he did some unspeakable crimes and acts, that he was actually a great performer.

I can imagine it was a tough decision for McMahon. This wasn't some ex wrestler who had long since retired, this was a still active guy, who had a program coming up with the newly revamped ECW. If I'm not mistaken, Chris had been drafted over to ECW and was slated to win the title around the time that this happened. Beyond that McMahon probably had to make one of the toughest calls he ever had to make and stick to it no matter what. I don't think for a second it's personal, I believe it's all business and what's for the greater good of all involved. Sad as it may be, we may never again see Chris Benoit on WWE programming unless Vince lifts it. And I doubt he'll ever give the okay to anyone else (i.e HHH) to do so once he's no longer fully making the decisions.

I personally find it very hard to watch old Benoit matches that I have on old videos or on youtube. The commentary describing him as a viscious, rabid and pugnacious superstar is quite disturbing now. His matches before his death made him one of the best wrestlers alive. However, as JR said once, his double murder overrides any of his career accomplishments, especially as WWE is essentially a circus. Even if this happened in a mainstream sport then I think it would be hard for mainstream media to acknowledge previous accomplishments of one of their players regardless of how much of a decorated athlete they were.

Better question, why should they mention Benoit's name? Not even remotely talking about the murders and whatnot here, the dude has been dead for nearly 6 years and he really wasn't anything more than an upper mid card worker. What need is there to mention him anymore? The only time I really notice them going out of their way to avoid his name is during that "By the Numbers" video package they do for the Rumble every year. Other than that, why is there any sort of demand to mention him?

Think about it. They never really mention Eddie Guerrero unless Rey Mysterio is around, they never talk about Umaga or Test. Yes I realize that Benoit had reached a level higher than most of these guys, but when you look back, they spent the bulk of their careers in the same spots on the card.

If something like this happened to a big named guy like Hogan or Austin, than yeah it'd be an issue. I just don't think it's the case with Benoit as there's not a lot to gain from mentioning him.

I don't think he will get mentioned again. I think of it like this. If Tom Brady or Peyton Manning killed their wife, child and then themselves tomorrow, the NFL would report on the story and then never mention the player again. They wouldn't talk about their records or their accomplishments; it would be like they never existed. I know someone will say "What about OJ?" That happened over 15 years after he retired, and he was already in the Hall of Fame. Also, OJ didn't kill himself, so he had a chance to defend himself and was acquitted, so it's not the same thing.

There may be a gradual recognition of Benoit via the website (as has already happened) or the "history books," but I don't see him being mentioned on WWE TV ever again.

No, and they shouldn't. Sometimes I think people fail to understand just how horrible his actions were. He murdered his wife and child. There are few worse crimes than that. I really don't care if he was a great wrestler or he had great matches. His actions guaranteed that he would be forgotten by mainstream wrestling officials. Fans will still post videos on Youtube and talk about him on internet forums, but the mainstream will never touch him, and they never should.

There is no reason to show Chris Benoit again, there will never be a reason to show Chris Benoit again. The guy killed his wife, 7 year old son and hung himself, I don't care if his brain was messed up, he still committed the crimes. Chris Benoit was a murderer, plain and simple. His "5 star matches," his Royal Rumble win, him making Triple H tap out in the main event of Wrestlemania 20; all forgotten. The vast majority of the world only know him as a murderer.

To be honest, I'm sick and tired of having these kind of topic every few months about Benoit. The guy did a vicious act and deserves to be punished. All his accolades and accomplishments in professional wrestling being erased is what any sensible person would do. He won't go in the WWE Hall of Fame, he won't be praised or looked up in the positive light ever again. What he did was cruel and inhuman and if WWE can only erase a man like that from their history to rid themselves of his cruel actions, then so be it. Vince McMahon said ."it was the darkest day in the history of our business" and do you people think he would want to praise a murderer?

I don't want to hear how "but he's a good wrestler," or "the character is different from the person." The first may be true, but anybody can just type in "Chris Benoit vs..." and find his matches of Youtube. The second is a load of bullshit and has been perpetrated by Benoit supporters for years after his murderer. The person who was playing the character committed the murderer, there's no dispute. Anyone who says otherwise is reaching for something that's clearly not there (a.k.a) "grasping for straws."

I'd hope Benoit can be seen on TV or mentioned from time to time. I was, is and will always be a fan of Benoit. I respect the wrestler. I respect his ability and his Legacy. I think its all a matter of perspective and as for me I can split the wrestler whom I admired on TV vs. The Person. I dont know Chris personally so I cant and wont judge him. As for Vince n Company. I'm sure they'll never mention him again unless they are doing some tragic documentary on wrestling but thats another thing Vince wouldnt do so then its a No

No he won't. Why would he? What Benoit did is unforgivable. He deserves to be erased from all memory. The world has moved on, and rightly so. Benoit's absence isn't making much of a difference. Thus, I see no reason why he should be brought back.

I'd hope Benoit can be seen on TV or mentioned from time to time. I was, is and will always be a fan of Benoit. I respect the wrestler. I respect his ability and his Legacy. I think its all a matter of perspective and as for me I can split the wrestler whom I admired on TV vs. The Person. I dont know Chris personally so I cant and wont judge him. As for Vince n Company. I'm sure they'll never mention him again unless they are doing some tragic documentary on wrestling but thats another thing Vince wouldnt do so then its a No

Mind numbingly crazy on every level. The wrestler, was the murderer. There is no splitting up what he did. I could be the nicest guy in the world, and own a dog, and I treat that dog wonderfully, feed it, love it, care for it. Then one day, I killed a dude, stab him. Will people say: Oh that's ok, I can split the animal lover from the murderer, I respect him on that level'? No, of course not. They will call me a murderer, the end.

Ok, that was a really bad example, but my point is, as everyone has said, including JR, that what happened in his career has become null and void because of what he did. I am fine seeing his name in record book, but that is it. You cannot split the two things up. And, you didn't need to know Chris personally to judge him, his actions, are more than enough to judge him...you know...killing his wife and kid...that whole thing...it is kinda ok to judge someone on that...

I understand what you're saying I dont condone what he did but as a fan of his wrestling performances I cannot judge his wrestling by what he did in the final days of his life. You cannot deny his talent nor can you shit on all he's done for the wrestling business. Its like If I am a good swimmer and I won olympic medals for it for my country and so on then I drown my wife and kids and commit suicide. You may call me an evil malevolent sadistic person but you can deny my swimming skill or erase from your mind that I won olympic medals fnr my country and so on. Im not saying people cant think badly of him Im just saying I am not blind to all of his accomplishments and his talent because of the horrendous acts he commited in his last days. Just my perspective which is why I will always be a fan. Its just like having a good friend whom youre faithful too. that friend may be a jackass and might do some things that you dislike but then on the other hand he may be loyal to you and always have your back and have things about him that you admire. point is, yes you can pick and choose. Love the man for his talent and ability and all hes done for the professional wrestling world. hate the man for his double homicide-suicide. You may only judge him by that and thats your right. I however, think differently and do not share your opinion. Thank You

it won't be on purpose. for example, if he did a wrestlemania dvd he would need to mention him since he was in a main event but you won't see a lot about him and they won't do anything special about him. my guess is it will be at least 10 years before benoit really starts to be mentioned again but he will probably never be treated the same as others.

Better question, why should they mention Benoit's name? Not even remotely talking about the murders and whatnot here, the dude has been dead for nearly 6 years and he really wasn't anything more than an upper mid card worker. What need is there to mention him anymore? The only time I really notice them going out of their way to avoid his name is during that "By the Numbers" video package they do for the Rumble every year. Other than that, why is there any sort of demand to mention him?

Think about it. They never really mention Eddie Guerrero unless Rey Mysterio is around, they never talk about Umaga or Test. Yes I realize that Benoit had reached a level higher than most of these guys, but when you look back, they spent the bulk of their careers in the same spots on the card.

If something like this happened to a big named guy like Hogan or Austin, than yeah it'd be an issue. I just don't think it's the case with Benoit as there's not a lot to gain from mentioning him.

I don't think it's so much an issue of them mentioning him as much as it is going out of their way to edit him out.

I really don't care if they never talk about Chris Benoit on Raw or Smackdown ever again, but if I'm paying for WWE On Demand or their eventual network, I don't want him edited out of the aforementioned Nitro reruns.

I agree with you, Benoit was upper midcard at best. His matches were entertaining, but his character was about as exciting as a Sansa chapter in the Game of Thrones books. That being said, between his World Title reigns, Royal Rumble win, Four Horsemen membership, WrestleMania moments, and countless feuds and matches with every top star of the last fifteen years.... He's kind of important to wrestling history. I don't want him explicitly brought back, but I also don't want him to be overtly censored.

When they conducted the autopsy they said that you wouldnt have been able to tell the difference between his brain and that of an 80-year-old suffering from dementia. That's how badly concussions had effected him. What happened was terrible, no body is arguing that. But what happened was the by product of a man suffering from paranoid delusions beyond his control, not someone who simply felt like going on a killing spree. It doesn't make it right, but it is an explanation.

Chris Benoit is and always will be one of my all-time favorites. In my eyes, it's Kurt Angle and Benoit as 1A and 1B as the greatest in ring wrestlers ever.

I can't watch any clips of Benoit anymore. Not after what he did. As for Vince mentioning him on tv again, it will never happen. On the WWE.com website? Yeah you've seen him name here and there and maybe the few old clips on dvd's and what not, but for the most part he is buried forever and that's the way it should be.

I have a copy of the "Hard Knocks" Chris Benoit DVD and it is one of my most prized possessions. It's really hard to find a copy of it now for less than something like 60 bucks used. I'm sure the WWE went so far as to buy copies of it from every Best Buy, etc. to get it off the shelves.

It never ceases to amaze me how people continue to ask this question.

The guy was a murderer and WWE is a business. It's not a good PR move to be associating oneself with a murderer, especially with all the bad press they got following the incident. WWE is doing what they have to do to protect their company. His name will never be mentioned on television again, learn to live with it, because it's not changing. Some things take priority over "oh but he was a great wrestler!"

No. Vince McMahon will NEVER mention this guy's name again. Here's the short of it:

For a very brief period of time, Chris Benoit played a very small role in the success of the WWE. A bit player in an ensemble cast, Benoit nearly took down the entire industry with his actions during his final days. Keep in mind, this is a business that Vince McMahon has spent his life building, a business that - from all reports - he's obsessed with. Do you guys really think he's EVER again going to mention Benoit's name after Benoit nearly killed his business?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back