5 Pokemon Gold/Silver -v - Duke Nukem 124

?

• Pokemon 2nd Gen

• The Duke

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!

Gold%20Box.PNG

Generation two of one of the biggest handheld franchises ever against generation on of the coolest man on the gaming planet. Who wins? You decide!

Dukenukem1.png

Pokemon is very much a Nintendo game. Not because of who owns it, but because there's just something about the games that makes you keep playing. Graphics may change and the consoles mos def change, but like the Mario or Zelda games, at the very core Pokemon is still the same game it was went it came out.

And like any Nintendo staple, everyone has their favorite. Pokemon Silver is mine. It took the experimental element of making the player actually care for Pikachu found in Yellow and made it a big part of the series moving forward. I guess that adds a bonus of taking the time to level of your crew. They also added time sensitivity and gender. So, anyway you slice it, you could play this game until your game boy or the game kicked the bucket. Which ever game first. :p

Pokemon is a game that I'm not proud to say that I've played nearly all of them, atleast for a little while. All of them are exactly the same, but for some reason, it makes you want to play them. Seeing how this is gen 1 Duke, I can't give him the bid over That gold bird pokemon that I can't remember it's name (I never remember any of their names)

Pokemon Sliver.

No joke, I started playing the re-make Soulsilver two days ago and it reminded me why this game dominated my life for a few years back in the early 2000s. They took a brilliant concept that was introuduced in Pokemon Red and Blue and expanded on it in way that pretty much become a standard now but did it better than anything that was to come in the Pokemon franchise. They introduced breeding, time of day, day and night, shiny Pokemon, and a whole new group of Pokemon for the first time.

Silver and Gold version are easliy the best games in the Pokemon franchise. The later games may have more in terms of content, but Silver and Gold were a significant step forward and didn't over do it.

Pokemon, and it's not even close. As far as I know, Duke Nukem is really only notable for introducing some more risque aspects to video gaming, but that hardly makes up for the fact that Gen 2 pokemon games are just vastly superior in every other way.

Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal built on the success of the original pokemon series. True, it's easier to build on genius than to create it, but generation 2 games really are what perfected the series. The good folks at Nintnedo set the precedent of adding new pokemon, new starters, new legendaries, new gyms, new Elite 4, new lands to explore, new everything. Unlike the other games though, they changed just enough, and not too much.

Pokemon takes this one. I think it can do some serious damage in the tourney.

Gold/Silver are by far the best in the Pokemon series. That's saying tons when you look at how fantastic the others were. Nothing but positive things to say about Gold/Silver. It still stands as my favorite Pokemon game of all time even though White is moving up with great speed. I loved the addition of being allowed to fight the gym leaders of the original game and thought that should have been implemented in every Pokemon game. Gold/Silver is great in every aspect imaginable. Not to mention it spawned my favorite Pokemon ever.

Duke is good but nowhere near the sheer awesomeness of Gold/Silver. The only conceivable way I can see somebody voting for Duke is that they've never played Gold/Silver and Duke has a new game coming out which they've seen commercials for.

GS by a landslide. It's what cemented the Pokemon series as a major gaming franchise. It's replay value, all of it's secrets, it being the longest of all the Pokemon games and beyond. The game has even been recreated. Can't say the same in terms of popularity and such for Duke. His latest game had been in development hell for over 11 years. Now it's finally out. In that time period, Pokemon GS was released, an added version (Crystal) was released and a remake was made. Yeah, Pokemon has this one beat.

Definatly gotta go with Pokemon here. Easily one of the funnest games ever. Duke Nukem is... alright. IMO, the best parts of Duke Nukem can be experienced on YouTube. Pokemon however is an experience, and Gen 2 was easily the best.

I see it's pretty much confirmed that Pokemon will win here and I agree. While I don't agree with Gold & Silver being the best, I will say that it's a great game nontheless. With the new elements of time, day and night, and breeding along with traveling to Johto and Kanto, the game was just endless fun literally. I think the remake actually made both games better.

Aw... Poor Duke. You do realise when he finds out about this, he will come and rip off your head, shitting down your neck right after, right?

Still, I think that this is the right decision, to be honest. Pokemon Silver and Gold are probably the most complete Pokemon games and probably stand above Blue and Red in my own personal rankings. The advantage it had over Red and Blue was that it had experience. It seen what needed to be improved from the first offerings and it brought them into action. I recently finished playing both of them and could not stop playing them until they were finished. It was crazy that I was rushing home to finish off a game of Pokemon but that is the biggest strength of these games. I think it takes us back to a more innocent gaming age and that cannot be underestimated. The game play is still brilliant and will have you hooked from the very first moment that you hear the chimes of the Pokemon soundtrack.

Duke Nukem, although being the most awesome person in gaming history, was never a brilliant game. Sure, it had a cult following that will be happy when we see the next adventure later on in the year. Still, it never had the game play or well thought out story lines that Pokemon Gold and Silver had. Playing Duke Nukem is still one of the most fun gaming experiences I have had but it should never go over a game that has spawned a huge amount of sequels and sold a tonne more copies.

Pokemon Gold/Silver will easily go through here because it's by a large margin the better of the two. It was amazing for its time and such an awesome game. I expect it to go far in this tournament.

GS. No question. Duke is good but it pales in comparison to Pokemon especially GS. I still maintain that the second generation (and its eventual remakes) were the best of the entire series (especially since they were the longest, I think). I remember logging in so many hours of Pokemon as a child. Very few video games made such a profound impact on my childhood and on the world in general as Pokemon has. Yep, GS wins this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

For me, it's definitely Pokemon Gold/Silver. I have said on multiple occasions that these two games were the best games in the whole series. There was so much to do, and the whole story was excellent. It didn't have you going from town to town like Red and Blue did, it had you going from one town and then back to a previous town to fight Team Rocket. Let's also not forget the fact that after you beat the Johto Region, you were able to go all throughout the Kanto Region as well. Going back to a previous region is something that no other generation has allowed you to do. The new Pokemon in this were intriguing and interesting. Also, these were the first Pokemon games to have a wide array of colors used in layouts, and Pokemon sprites. All in all, Pokemon Gold/Silver was extremely entertaining, and the best generation of Pokemon ever created.

If this were Duke Nukem 3D, I'd be backing it to the end. Unfortunately it's the original game, which is a great and fun game, but it's not as good as Silver methinks. I've criticized the Pokemon games in the past, but only because much like Madden I feel they don't do enough to try and change up and differentiate new installments from past ones. This is one of the best Pokemon games they ever made though, and one that I remember spending pretty much an entire summer playing the fuck out of on my Gameboy, so it's getting my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back