25. Success, Bust or In Between: Velvet Sky

Success, Bust or In Between: Velvet Sky?

• Success

• Bust

• In Between

Results are only viewable after voting.

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Success, Bust or In Between Series
Brought to you by IDR

----------

You know the series by now, I'd hope, but for those of you who don't, here's the run down:

• Former talents of TNA are to be critiqued regarding their work with TNA, and only their work with TNA for the basis of these polls.
• Any work from the performer that was not done during his/her tenure during TNA should not factor into your vote.
• You can vote them either a success, a bust or in-between if you don't feel they deserve either extreme.​

In addition to your vote, I'd like to know why you feel the way you do. Why was this particular character a success, a bust or in-between? Remember, these are still NO SPAM threads, so spam replies will not be accepted, and will be warned/infracted over to boot. Take the time to formulate an answer that people can get behind or debate.

----------

Next in the series is…

Sky.jpg

Velvet Sky

Years with TNA: 5 (2007-2012)
Number of titles runs: TNA Knockouts Championship (x1), TNA Knockouts Tag Team Championship (x1)

Notable Feuds:

• Roxxi Laveaux via The Beautiful People (2008)
• Gail Kim via The Beautiful People (2008)
• ODB, Rhaka Khan and Rhino via The Beautiful People (2008)
• Awesome Kong via Angelina Love (2009)
• Tara via Angelina Love (2009)
• ODB & Cody Deaner via The Beautiful People (2009)
• Madison Rayne & Roxxi Laveaux via The Beautiful People (2009/10)
• Angelina Love via The Beautiful People (2010)
• Madison Rayne & Tara via The Beautiful People (2010)
• Angelina Love via Winter (2011)
• Gail Kim (2011)

Other Accomplishments:

• Debuted in TNA in 2007 as Talia Madison in a Gauntlet match at Bound For Glory
• Was a founding member of The Beautiful People
• Participated in the first ever "Queen of the Cage" match at Lockdown 2008​

Previous Polls:

Success

23. Angelina Love – 95.12% Success, 4.88% In Between, 0% Bust
01. Christian Cage – 87.72% Success, 12.28% In Between, 0% Bust
07. Awesome Kong – 82.61% Success, 13.04% Bust, 4.35% In Between
24. Mick Foley – 77.78% Success, 14.81% In Between, 7.41% Bust
22. Alex Shelley – 75.00% Success, 0.00% Bust, 25.00% In Between
08. Christopher Daniels – 68.97% Success, 20.69% In Between, 10.34% Bust
19. Kevin Nash – 67.57% Success, 24.32% In Between, 8.11% Bust
05. Senshi – 66.67% Success, 28.57% In Between, 4.76% Bust
04. Gail Kim – 61.54% Success, 19.23% In Between, 19.23% Bust
20. Ron Killings – 57.58% Success, 6.06% Bust, 36.36% In Between
21. Ric Flair – 44.00% Success, 28.00% Bust, 28.00% In Between
15. Sabu – 43.59% Success, 33.3% Bust, 23.08% In Between
14. "The Franchise" Shane Douglas – 35.90% Success, 35.90% Bust, 28.21%% In Between

Bust

09. Consequences Creed – 80.77% Bust, 19.23% In Between, 0.00% Success
13. Johnny Devine – 79.31% Bust, 17.24% In Between, 3.45% Success
18. Matt Hardy – 67.02% Bust, 26.60% In Between, 6.38% Success
12. Traci Brooks – 61.29% Bust, 25.81% In Between, 12.90% Success
06. Monty Brown – 54.05% Bust, 27.03% In Between, 18.92% Success
11. The Naturals – 48.00% Bust, 28.00% Success, 24.00% In Between
02. Booker T – 46.43% Bust, 33.93% In Between, 19.64% Success

In Between

16. Homicide – 62.50% In Between, 21.88% Success, 15.63% Bust
03. Petey Williams – 52.50% In Between, 35.00% Success, 12.50% Bust
17. Jay Lethal – 52.38% In Between, 38.10% Success, 9.52% Bust
10. Sheik Abdul Bashir – 44.00% In Between, 44.00% Bust, 12.00% Success

Have a request?

Send me a PM with the wrestler, manager, etc. you want to see in the series and if I feel it'll spark discussion I'll do it.​

Success.

I'm typically not a fan of women's professional wrestling. It usually comes off as a way to show off some tits and ass for eight minutes between commercial breaks, with six and a half of those taken up by entrances and posing.

But in that role, Velvet Sky was spectacular. Most women performers have to murder children in the ring to get any attention for themselves; people always talked about Velvet Sky. If people aren't talking about you, you're nothing. (Hi, Gail Kim!) This business is all about getting eyeballs, and Velvet Sky is probably the biggest female eyeball getter TNA/IW has had since Awesome Kong.

I gotta go with success on Velvet Sky as I really don't see any other logical way to go looking at her TNA career.

There was a long time where she was a big part of TNA programming as part of the Beautiful People, that alone in my opinion makes her a success in TNA. For myself anyways that was one of the better things TNA was doing at the time. On top of that she had a good run as both Knockouts champions and Knockouts Tag champion and I just loved the gimmick she had with Angelina Love, it just suited them so well and felt as Kevin Nash would say organic. I loved the whole paper bag concept, the makeover concept, not to mention she was probably the hottest woman in wrestling for a good chunk of time as well.

Lastly, as she went on her in ring work improved more and more although I think she was better suited as the member of the Beautiful People not wrestling, she just seemed better suited as a bitch manager but she still got the job done in the ring.

Velvet was definitely my favorite knockout from '08 to when she was released and I can't think of one reason why she would be considered a bust.

I'll go with success. I've only been watching her the last couple years, but she was hugely over with the crowd in TNA, probably the biggest undergog in regards to getting the KO title. Granted, her in ring work tended to be abyssmal, though she improved slightly over the last year. But in the end, Velvet was eye candy, and it was something that she was very good at. Regardless of who she was in the ring with, she probably drew the most attention. I really did like her scrapper attitude once she became a singles star. Women's wrestling isn't a draw, but Velvet made some of it enjoyable.

I say in between and that's kinda stretching it for me. She was ok. I'm judging her individually, and that what makes her borderline in between. I think that Angelina carried most of the promos, carried most of the tag matches etc. Even without Love in the Beautiful People, I think Rayne outshined her, and Von Erich was way better in the ring. Speaking of in the ring, she wasn't anything near special. I think TNA tried to showcase her as much as possible but she was always better as a sidekick, not when the spotlight was on her. That's why I couldn't believe she left. I think she'll always have a place in a major organization if she's part of a group dynamic though.

She was TNA's personal sex icon for 5 years. She also became very popular within fandom because of it. She was never a wrestling Knockout to say, but she certainly staked her claim in TNA. I dare say she was bigger than girls like Sable, Stacy Keibler or Torrie Wilson. Not in terms of fame, but in the terms of success and stance within the respective company. She's the best girl to play the "company eye candy" as far as I'm concerned.

Without a doubt she was a SUCCESS she was a founding member of probably the best stable in womens wrestling history The Beautiful People, Won both the Knockouts Title & Knockouts Tag Titles during her time there and she was probably the most popular knockout during her last year with the company.

On her own she didn't have any memorable feuds but that's also because she didn't get much time on her own before Gail Kim decided to come back and they handed her the title. No doubt in my mind Velvet Sky was successful for TNA.

She was a big success. Not a great worker, but not terrible either. Had a great look, played the part well...The Beautiful People were very much over, she was the face of the Knockout division for a while. He singles run at the end wasn't great...with workers like Mickie James, Tara & Gail Kim around, her weaknesses were kind of exposed, but honestly she had a great run, probably better than anyone would have guessed. Definitely a success.

Success for sure. The Beautiful People were a big part of Impact, and her contribution to that alone makes her a success. She was the eye candy of the company, and not to bad in the ring. She had great fan support as well. She was one half of the Knockouts tag champ, and had a short run with the knockouts title. Definitely a success in my opinion.

The fact that she was TNA's greatest sex pot for half a decade in and of itself establishes her as a success. The fact that she was so good in her role is what made her arguably the most popular woman in the history of TNA. Velvet's role was primarily as a scantily clad cocktease and nobody did a better job.

Her abilities inside the ring were decent. She wasn't the most graceful Knockout a lot of times, but she did always try hard. Her time as a champion in TNA, either as a singles or tag champ, weren't much to speak of. But, when you think about it, Velvet didn't need to be a champion to be a star in the company. While being prime *********ory fodder isn't exactly the most noble quality one can aspire to have, Velvet knew her strengths & played them to the best of her ability. So yeah, the girl was a success.

IMO she was a success. She was one of the main KO's and was in the greatest KO stable in TNA. Plus, she could put on matches longer than a minute or two and she held every KO title in TNA. Definitely a success.

She was a success. Sky made me actually pay attention to the KO division and it just hasnt been the same since she left. She was hot, pretty decent in the ring and she proved to be a great presence in TNA. The WWE could really learn a thing or 2 by running their Divas division like TNA does with the KO's. I think HHH is realizing that and trying to turn it away from the 'useless model' types and gear it up a bit.

Velvet Sky was a great part of what I like about TNA. She made the KO division something that stood out. I say success.

Well everyone has already said it but Velvet was undeniably a Success in TNA, she was their #1 eye candy for years and was pretty much always in the KO's spotlight. I actually didn't mind her that much, obviously she is smokin hot but here in ring work wasnt as bad as some other gals, it wasn't great either but bearable. She held the KO title and Tag Titles once each and was a part of a few somewhat significant events in TNA history. For a Diva it isnt always cut and dry when it comes to their place in history but she was a big part of the KO's division and The Beautiful People were successful, she was definitely a success.

Definite success - despite the fact she was not the best in ring performer she was the most over. Without the BP, does anyone really believe that LayCool would've came into being? I think it is a real shame that she left before the Mickie James series that was being teased was realized. Given the cyclical nature of wrestling, I hope that she does return at some juncture.

The fact that she was TNA's greatest sex pot for half a decade in and of itself establishes her as a success. The fact that she was so good in her role is what made her arguably the most popular woman in the history of TNA. Velvet's role was primarily as a scantily clad cocktease and nobody did a better job.

Her abilities inside the ring were decent. She wasn't the most graceful Knockout a lot of times, but she did always try hard. Her time as a champion in TNA, either as a singles or tag champ, weren't much to speak of. But, when you think about it, Velvet didn't need to be a champion to be a star in the company. While being prime *********ory fodder isn't exactly the most noble quality one can aspire to have, Velvet knew her strengths & played them to the best of her ability. So yeah, the girl was a success.

Jack-Hammer is 100% right here. Velvet was perfect in her role in TNA, and was a definite success. I don't see how being part of the most popular female team the company has ever seen (The Beautiful People), going on to be a singles champion and being the face (and ass) of the division for a good while can be anything other than a success.

Velvet wasn't the best in the ring, she is no Mickie or Tara but she worked hard and wasn't bad. The BP were a great duo, who were a big part of Impact for a while and until the rise of Tessmacher, Velvet was easily the KO who got the biggest reaction from the fans. The whole idea of the Beautiful People was so good that WWE even ripped it off with Lay-Cool, which proves it was a success.

Who the fuck voted "Bust" on Velvet? Unless you chose "bust" in referrence to her large tits, then it was a totally wrong pick. There is no way her time in TNA was a flop.

I vote that Velvet was definitely a success in TNA. I have also heard that Dixie is working very hard to sign her back. RVD even hinted at it her coming back in an interview.

I vote that Velvet was definitely a success in TNA. I have also heard that Dixie is working very hard to sign her back. RVD even hinted at it her coming back in an interview.

What site or source did you get this from? I'm curious being that all I've read was Velvet doing some indy shows with Angelina.

What site or source did you get this from? I'm curious being that all I've read was Velvet doing some indy shows with Angelina.

TNA should never have let either Angelina or Velvet go in my opinion. 2 of the hottest and most talented KO's they ever had under contract, there was no reason why they couldn't have been utilised as either singles wrestlers or even a Beautiful People reunion as faces. Angelina could have saved Velvet from a beatdown from Madison Rayne and Gail Kim, and boom! There's your next next feud- Rayne v Love for the KO title.

I hope they both end up back in TNA, or in WWE in the near future.

TNA should never have let either Angelina or Velvet go in my opinion. 2 of the hottest and most talented KO's they ever had under contract, there was no reason why they couldn't have been utilised as either singles wrestlers or even a Beautiful People reunion as faces. Angelina could have saved Velvet from a beatdown from Madison Rayne and Gail Kim, and boom! There's your next next feud- Rayne v Love for the KO title.

I hope they both end up back in TNA, or in WWE in the near future.

Likewise, Naitch. Preferably TNA. It's cool if they decide to go to WWE, but they're not enough for me to tune in for Raw or Smackdown. Hell its wishful thinking, but I'd take them in ROH.

Success, if only for her time with the Beautiful People. Otherwise, huge bust (no pun intended...okay pun intended).

Seriously though, after leaving the BP she had a short Knockout Title's reign that did nothing for her or the company, let the pigeons loose a few times and then left.

But the Beautiful People were the centerpiece of the Knockout's division for about 2 years and Velvet Sky was a constant in that group.

Despite her completely unmemorable, flash-in-the-pan-like victory and championship "run", I'd still say Sky was a success based on a few short principles:

1. She was a massive ratings draw. Say what you will about why men tune in to watch TNA's programming, and say what you will about the fact that their female performers often out-performed the men (in the ratings), but that doesn't change the fact that the female performers—especially Sky—out-performed the men (in the ratings).

2. She was a major, major part of the Beautiful People stable. Without her they really don't have half the success they did, and not only because she made up for 50% of the team for a large duration of their existence, but because Sky was the voice of the team where as Love was the in-ring performer.

First to the poster who said that Lacey Von Erich is a better wrestler than Velvet that just a silly thing to say. Also I don't believe Madison outshined Velvet either. But she did get more opportunities than Velvet did though.

Anyway I would say Velvet was a success though I feel she could have been an even bigger star. I still don't like how badly her Knockout title reign was handled and I feel she should have been pushed sooner. But unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I wish her luck and look forward to what Velvet and Angelina will do next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back