24: The Movie

LoudClearVoice

Mid-Card Championship Winner
We all know this will eventually come out. Fans of the series like myself probably have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I can't ever get enough of 24 and would love to see Jack return, on the big screen.

At the same time, I'm just not sure if the show's gimmick would work in the movie format.

It could end up being another "run of the mill" action thriller.

The latest I heard is that Fox rejected one script because it wasn't good enough. Also, Howard Gordon is no longer involved with the project (at least at this point).

Where do you see them going in terms of a storyline? I think they'll pick it up a few years after the end of season 8 with Jack hiding in a small, remote town or country. Then of course, Chloe will need him for something and he will return.

I absolutely hate prequels so I hope they don't do something like that.

Anyways, 24 fans, what are your thoughts?

If they make 24: The Movie, which I personally don't think they will due to the real time aspect of the show, I assume it would be a whole bunch of different movies split into something which would span 24 hours.

How long is the Harry Potter series combined? I don't even think it's 24 hours. Hence why I don't think people will care for it after the first couple of movies, interest will be lost and releasing, depending on how much time is allocated to each money. I'd assume 2 hours, maybe 3 you'd be looking at eight movies to make up the whole series.

Yeah, I don't see that happening or working out in the end.

Here's the things about TV shows, they generally don't translate well onto the Big Screen.

The Simpsons is the most influential and longest-running animated show in recent history with the exception of only a few. It went onto the big screen with all of the hype surrounding it and failed miserably. Sex And The City tried it and completely failed with the general population. In fact, if it were not for whiny girlfriends and whipped men, then no one would have seen it whatsoever. Generally, I would say that TV shows are best kept there and that goes doubly for 24.

I haven't watched it in a couple of years but I used to love 24. However, the way the show is written, it is made for TV. There is 24 episodes in a season and they can take advantage of that. However, I don't know how they would manage to translate it over to the cinema screen. No one is going to sit there for 24 hours watching Jack and his latest adventure. Of course that would never be the plan but would they be sacrificing too much by taking away it's crucial format to make it fit onto the screen? I think so.

And in doing that, will it lose it's entire identity? Here's the thing; If 24 loses it's whole appeal, then no one is going to see it and it is going to end up as another drama/thriller movie.

I'm not writing it off before I see it but I doubt it would do very well.

Here's the things about TV shows, they generally don't translate well onto the Big Screen.

The Simpsons is the most influential and longest-running animated show in recent history with the exception of only a few. It went onto the big screen with all of the hype surrounding it and failed miserably. Sex And The City tried it and completely failed with the general population. In fact, if it were not for whiny girlfriends and whipped men, then no one would have seen it whatsoever. Generally, I would say that TV shows are best kept there and that goes doubly for 24.

I haven't watched it in a couple of years but I used to love 24. However, the way the show is written, it is made for TV. There is 24 episodes in a season and they can take advantage of that. However, I don't know how they would manage to translate it over to the cinema screen. No one is going to sit there for 24 hours watching Jack and his latest adventure. Of course that would never be the plan but would they be sacrificing too much by taking away it's crucial format to make it fit onto the screen? I think so.

And in doing that, will it lose it's entire identity? Here's the thing; If 24 loses it's whole appeal, then no one is going to see it and it is going to end up as another drama/thriller movie.

I'm not writing it off before I see it but I doubt it would do very well.

Dave, you make some good points. I think the reason why it has taken so long for them to get serious about actually writing a script and working on the movie is because no one is sure how to make the format work.

The rumor is that the presumably 2 hour movie will take place within the span of 24 hours. The problem with that is, it's so limiting. As you mentioned, the concept of the show worked well for TV but that concepted would simply be too restrictive for the big screen.

Another idea that I heard was being tossed around is make the first hour of the movie, just normal in whatever timespan they want then make the last hour or so in "real time." Again though, would moviegoers, or even 24 fans, want to sit through that?

I wouldn't have a problem scrapping the concept and just making a regular movie with the 24 characters but then is it really 24?

The Simpsons is the most influential and longest-running animated show in recent history with the exception of only a few. It went onto the big screen with all of the hype surrounding it and failed miserably.

Failed? I believe that this is your personal thought, because I think that the Movie was incredible well made.
See this information: (source IMDb)

Box Office
Budget: $75,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $74,036,787 (USA) (29 July 2007) (3922 Screens)
Gross: $526,745,137 (Worldwide)
This doesn't look like a fail... 7x the Budget for me looks like a great blockbuster.

About 24: The Movie - I can't see this being made like in the Tv Show, maybe some regular action movie made in only two hours or a movie with the cast from 24, nothing more.
I loved every piece of the show, everything was really very well written, and the movie needs to be as good as the show.

I would rather see a sequel than a prequel, because prequels were already made in other 7 shows if i'm not mistaken.
This isn't probably going to be lauched, so who knows.

I have not watch this movie yet nor i had watch the trailer of this movie yet.

It's normal, because the movie wasn't even written.

Failed? I believe that this is your personal thought, because I think that the Movie was incredible well made.
See this information: (source IMDb)

Box Office
Budget: $75,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $74,036,787 (USA) (29 July 2007) (3922 Screens)
Gross: $526,745,137 (Worldwide)
This doesn't look like a fail... 7x the Budget for me looks like a great blockbuster.

About 24: The Movie - I can't see this being made like in the Tv Show, maybe some regular action movie made in only two hours or a movie with the cast from 24, nothing more.
I loved every piece of the show, everything was really very well written, and the movie needs to be as good as the show.

I would rather see a sequel than a prequel, because prequels were already made in other 7 shows if i'm not mistaken.
This isn't probably going to be lauched, so who knows.

It's normal, because the movie wasn't even written.

In terms of the show being very well written, I totally agree. I think it's a good sign that Fox execs rejected a script already, saying it wasn't good enough. This shows me that they are dedicated to keeping the quality of the television writing intact for the movie. They're not just out to make money by using the 24 name and putting out a piece of shit. They really want it to be what 24 is all about and that's good.

When you say The Simpsons Movie failed, how do you mean? As FSWWE, rather arrogantly pointed out quite a while ago it didn't fail financially. And, quality wise, I think it got the job done. A lot of it was very funny, and I'd watch it over and over again. I thought the general consensus on The Simpsons Movie was that it was hilarious, maybe it's just me alone in that thought. Although, you have to admit, Dave, it's a lot better than the stuff they're churning out for the TV show, at the moment.

Anyway, back to the original post and the follow-up, I think this is going to pan out terribly and take away all the charm and excitement that 24 had. I hate this idea that there is in Hollywood where everything needs a movie adaptation, 24 doesn't, 24 works as a TV show and that's about it. I mean, who am I kidding, though, I will rush to the cinema to see it, but, I know I'll be disappointed.

I'd love to see 24 made into a film. I think the writers did a great job with the series and without the constraints applied to shows by tv censors , they can go all out and deliver a much more complete and honest protrayal of the character and the events that might and do happen in the life of Jack.

I'd love to see them do a whole series like they do with the Bourne Trilogy at the very least or like the James Bond series at the very most, only if they can keep the stories fresh, engaging and interesting enough to facilitate that.

I'll admit when I read this, as a hardcore 24 fan I was pumped as hell by the idea but when I thought about it I thought a little differently. As a tv show they go through 24 hours from the beginning of the season to the end, and to switch things up and just put it into one 2 hour movie or to do a series would just be too complicated and I don't think people would really be into it. I think it's better to just leave it as a show and not take the chance on a show that would probably not translate to the big screen well.

I cannot remember where I read it, but I think that the idea with a 24 movie would be that it would span 24 hours, but around an hour, if not more, would be in real-time. If they didn't keep an element of the real time aspect then it wouldn't be worth it, as it's one of the shows main gimmicks.

The problem with television series being translated into film is the writing. Films and shows are written in different ways, so that they will only really work in their own format.

An example; take BBC's modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock). lLt's imagine that you're watching an episode of it, without knowing it is a series. Each episode is 90 minutes long, give or take. Each episode, more or less, is stand alone in terms of the plot. But the way in which the show is constructed in the script is how you know it isn't a film. From just looking at it; the way music is used, the filming, the way the characters are used, everything in a TV show lends itself to sustained viewing over a period of time. A film compresses that, and unless it has been designed specifically for delivering it's story in this medium, it struggles. One of the few series-to-films I have enjoyed was Serenity (from the series Firefly), but it just felt like an extra-length finale episode in many respects.

If 24 does make it to the big screen, it will suffer greatly from this. For it to work, it has to deliver everything it would normally do in 24 40 minute episodes in around 2 hours. Think about everything that makes 24 what it is; can that be put into 2 hours? Possibly, yes, and of course they will change how they put it together, how it is written, how it is filmed, etc, but will it then still be 24? It is totally possible to do, but to get the balance right will be balls-hard, and it'll either feel not right as a film, or not like 24.

Personally, I'm not sure this can be done well, but I live in hope.

I cannot remember where I read it, but I think that the idea with a 24 movie would be that it would span 24 hours, but around an hour, if not more, would be in real-time. If they didn't keep an element of the real time aspect then it wouldn't be worth it, as it's one of the shows main gimmicks.

The problem with television series being translated into film is the writing. Films and shows are written in different ways, so that they will only really work in their own format.

An example; take BBC's modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock). lLt's imagine that you're watching an episode of it, without knowing it is a series. Each episode is 90 minutes long, give or take. Each episode, more or less, is stand alone in terms of the plot. But the way in which the show is constructed in the script is how you know it isn't a film. From just looking at it; the way music is used, the filming, the way the characters are used, everything in a TV show lends itself to sustained viewing over a period of time. A film compresses that, and unless it has been designed specifically for delivering it's story in this medium, it struggles. One of the few series-to-films I have enjoyed was Serenity (from the series Firefly), but it just felt like an extra-length finale episode in many respects.

If 24 does make it to the big screen, it will suffer greatly from this. For it to work, it has to deliver everything it would normally do in 24 40 minute episodes in around 2 hours. Think about everything that makes 24 what it is; can that be put into 2 hours? Possibly, yes, and of course they will change how they put it together, how it is written, how it is filmed, etc, but will it then still be 24? It is totally possible to do, but to get the balance right will be balls-hard, and it'll either feel not right as a film, or not like 24.

Personally, I'm not sure this can be done well, but I live in hope.

I totally agree with you and I think these are the issues they've been having. One script that was completed over a year ago was already nixed by Fox because they didn't feel it would "fit" the 24 concept.

Right now, the rumors are that the main plot of the movie will take place in Europe and that the movie will cover a 24 hour span, not in real time. There is too much at stake for them to mess this up so I believe it will translate well onto the big screen or they wouldn't go forward with the project. The fact that they nixed a script already(can't remember the writer but it was a big name person that wrote it) tells me that they really care about this project, and not just putting something out just to milk the series.

if its well written then i can see the 24 movie being a box office smash with a sequel or two, it could maybe go down the route of Taken with Liam Neeson, a kidnap, and short time to rescue and kick some ass along the way.

if its well written then i can see the 24 movie being a box office smash with a sequel or two, it could maybe go down the route of Taken with Liam Neeson, a kidnap, and short time to rescue and kick some ass along the way.

The rumor is, they want to do a trilogy but it's going to depend heavily on what happens with the first one. If it bombs, then no trilogy but if it's a success, they will do two more and have a "Bourne-like" trilogy, that's what I've heard.

The real key is, can they make it good enough that fans who haven't watched the series, can still follow the movie and know what's going on and enjoy it? I want them to build off of the series but not so much so that the average fan will sit there and not understand it.

This is going to be so bad. I used to LOVE this show when it started and was a loyal fan all the way up until about the 6th or 7th season, when the show fell right off the side of a cliff into total self-parody and became one of the most painfully awful shows on television. That's not an exaggeration either, the last two seasons of that show nearly killed all of my love for the earlier seasons in one awful fell swoop. Even by 24 standards the plots became ridiculous, the acting deteriorated to the point where I wasn't sure if Kiefer Sutherland was even taking this seriously anymore, and don't even get me started on President Taylor or whatever her name was, not five seconds could go by without me wanting to slap the shit out of her. I had a hard time caring about the fate of the United States when we have this soppy cunt in charge.

This will likely be terrible if it's anything like the last few seasons. I'd rather they just leave it alone to be honest, and let us fondly remember the first few seasons and how brilliant they were.

Given such a disappointing ending to Season 8 I think a film is necessary.
As for the time aspect which is obviously the biggest problem, each season of 24 has a runtime of about 18 hours. Still far too much for a film or a series of films but if you cut it down to 9 hours (or roughly 12 episodes) and spread out over 3 films that's more than enough time to do something decent. 1 film released at Christmas, 1 released during the summer and the finale at the following Christmas, you don't want to drag it out.

There is a really simple solution to the real time aspect of the show, instead of writing real time story that spans 24 hrs., you simply write a real time story that spans 2 hrs. (or however long the movie is). Instead of Jack & the rest of the CTU having 24 hrs. to stop the bad guys, you cut that window waaaaay down. CTU gets a message saying that some act of terrorism, or an assassination plot will take place in two hrs. Jack then is off to save the day in real time.

The only season of the show I think I watched from beginning to end was the first, I tried watching the 2nd but eventually started missing episodes & got lost which lead to me losing interest in the show. Perhaps one of these days I'll go back & watch the other 7 seasons of the show I missed.

There is a really simple solution to the real time aspect of the show, instead of writing real time story that spans 24 hrs., you simply write a real time story that spans 2 hrs. (or however long the movie is). Instead of Jack & the rest of the CTU having 24 hrs. to stop the bad guys, you cut that window waaaaay down. CTU gets a message saying that some act of terrorism, or an assassination plot will take place in two hrs. Jack then is off to save the day in real time.

The only season of the show I think I watched from beginning to end was the first, I tried watching the 2nd but eventually started missing episodes & got lost which lead to me losing interest in the show. Perhaps one of these days I'll go back & watch the other 7 seasons of the show I missed.

I'm sure that's what they'll do. That's what they did for the TV-movie of "24" that introduced a season. Although that movie wasn't spectacular by any means, it was passable, and since the plot was limited because it had to introduce the season, it showed that a 2-hour "24" movie with no restraints has potential, at least. I don't think they should make any more than one movie, especially considering the fact that it has taken them so long just to get this first film off the ground after the final television season ended. They should put all their efforts and creative energy into one movie, make it as good as possible, and send out the series on a good note. Don't drag it out, don't butcher it, just wrap up the series with one final adventure, and that's it.

A little off-topic, but I've rewatched all of 24 recently so it's fresh in my head. Seasons 1, 2 and 5 in particular are outstanding, but the last three let it down a lot (7 gets better, but not by much). It's worth watching the second one all the way through to make a proper judgement, as it's easily one of the two best seasons (tied with season 5, in my opinion anyway).

As for a film covering two hours in real-time, they've done that with Redemption (set between seasons 6 and 7). I read somewhere recently (for the life of me I cannot remember where) that the general idea is that it'll be a two-hour representation of a 24-hour day. I suppose the theory behind this is that they'll be able to do all the travelling to and from places and not have to show it. As I said before, I think that they'll have to have at least the final hour in real time. It's a huge part of the show, and to not have it would be ridiculous.

Redemption was almost a trial to see if a 24 movie would work (the original plan was for there to be a film between 6 and 7, though it was eventually scrapped, with Redemption made to brigde the gap instead). The difference is that the movie was meant to be it's own self contained plot set in Europe, as opposed to Redemptions lead-on from season 6 into season 7. Redemption did it's job very well because it was effectively a glorified special set over two hours, but the film will have to condense everything 24-related (i.e. 24 hours) into two hours AND bring something new to make it work as a film.

The film is going to be a representation of a franchise, and as such needs to be a showcase of its key elements, like the real-time aspect, the ticking clock, and the 24-hour timeframe, whilst still finding a way to dish up some suprises along the way.

Fox is being ridiculously cheap about this. The movie will make a fortune and Sutherland has made a fortune for Fox.

At the same time it's not like Keifer needs $5 million. What's wrong with the $2 million? That's what negotiating is. You ask for 5, they offer 2, you try to get 2.5 or 3. You don't just throw 5 on the table and say take it or leave it (though apparently that's exactly what he did). While the economy is on the rise (supposedly) studios and businesses are forced to make cuts. Plus, while Keifer did a great job on 24 (which I love) he's not exactly a big name movie star.

By the way: I hate most of what Fox produces and I absolutely hate their right wing agenda (non-impartial much?) I'm just providing a counter view here.

Kiefer Sutherland has made peace with Twentieth Century Fox over his "24" movie, but the project has been pushed until next year, TheWrap has learned.

http://news.yahoo.com/24-movie-pushed-next-083857214.html

Well it looks like the bidding war was settled. That's about all I had to contribute but I thought there would be some people who would like this news.

Good info! Thanks!

I figure it would eventually be back on the table. Both Fox and Kiefer Sutherland stand to lose too much money by not doing the film.

With a relatively low budget, I'm curious to see what they do with this film. My guess is that once they get started, Fox will realize they need a bigger budget to make it great and they'll give them even more money to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back