2013's First Five Star Match; Hiroshi Tanashai vs. Kazuchika Okada

The Dragon Saga

Whale in a Teardrop
[DM]xytnnj_hiroshi-tanahashi-c-vs-kazuchika-okada-njpw_sport#.UWglVKKG0TM[/DM]

Just watched this. Absolutely awesome.

For those who need a brief synopsis on both competitors, Okada is the top young rising star in Japanese wrestling, he's 25-years-old and some people may remember him as the guy TNA used incredibly poorly as Samoa Joe's sidekick in some odd idiotic parody of Green Hornet.

Hiroshi Tanashai is basically Japan's John Cena. He's NJPW's top star, he's the face of the company, he too is on a cereal box, he's consistently good, he goes into the match as IWGP Heavyweight Champion and has been unable to successfully defend the title against Okada in the past.

Their feud revolves around Okada's rise in popularity as many see him as the next Tanashai and hes threatening Hiroshi's spot. It's a lot like Austin/Hart where Tanashai is entering as the face but the fans are supporting Okada the heel as they prefer the new blood.

And if you get the chance Prince Devitt/Taguchi versus Alex Shelley/KUSHIDA is on the sidebar and is also very good. Shelley is gaining steam in Japan as a singles performer too.

Seen it, enjoyed it and thought it's very well deserved. This guys have been throwing some of the best wrestling matches in NJPW history. Okada won his second world championship, but it came a bit late. That result should have happened in January and we all know it, but they gave us that incredible match as well.

However I have a problem with Meltzer, because I can't really see why does that match deserve a five star more than HBK vs. Taker that he didn't give. I think he's very biased in his rating system, but it's the only one we really have. I do recommend the singles match from Davey Boy Jr. I enjoyed it, and they had, what?, half the time the main event had? And they still made it worth it.

Seen it, enjoyed it and thought it's very well deserved. This guys have been throwing some of the best wrestling matches in NJPW history. Okada won his second world championship, but it came a bit late. That result should have happened in January and we all know it, but they gave us that incredible match as well.

However I have a problem with Meltzer, because I can't really see why does that match deserve a five star more than HBK vs. Taker that he didn't give. I think he's very biased in his rating system, but it's the only one we really have. I do recommend the singles match from Davey Boy Jr. I enjoyed it, and they had, what?, half the time the main event had? And they still made it worth it.

His reason for not giving WM 25 a five star rating is three botches spots, Taker over the top rope and something HBK did. I got a copy of Wrestling Observer from the month after Punk/Cena at MITB and he compared the two matches in a defense of his rating system and if you read it you'd kind of see where hes coming from because he rates Punk/Cena very highly.

And yeah, Davey Boy Smith Jr. (so weird calling him that) fits Japan like a glove. Dude wasn't let to show his talent in WWE, such a fluid performer for his size.

I'm loving, literally loving, his team with Archer... I mean, they have put solid, solid matches as K.E.S. I strongly believe he's part of the best tag team currently. I didn't read that one, I would really enjoy it tough. I'll search for it online, if I grab it, I'll come back here.

I am however very curious about what NJPW pretends to do in the world title scene. I can't see a lot of viable contenders for the strap. Tanahashi will probably get his rematch, but I hope Okada retains and then they should move on a bit. Nakamura will probably have a shot later, but who else?

Also, a question - do you think New Japan Pro Wrestling would open a lot of markets if their iPPVs had an english announce team? I mean, I think it's obvious they would, but why don't they go that route?

Also, a question - do you think New Japan Pro Wrestling would open a lot of markets if their iPPVs had an english announce team? I mean, I think it's obvious they would, but why don't they go that route?

That's the plan I believe. Seen a lot of sites report that NJPW's are working on bringing in a whole English speaking broadcast team including interviewers so gaijin talents like Davey, Devitt, Shelley and Anderson can but more natural promos in their native language.

This match was awesome. I sat up at 3 in the morning watching it and it was amazing. New Japan is killing it right now with the stacked card that they have. Davey Boy Smith Jr and Nakamura had an excellent match as well. Shelley and Devitt have a lot of chemistry together as well so I'm hoping for a longer program between those two. The heavyweight scene is shaping up nice Okada has a ganag of guys he can defend against Smith, Anderson, Nakamura, Goto, Tanahashi, Benjamin, and Naito.

The match with Punk vs Cena was good it just wasn't great in my eyes. Since their match at MITB every match they've had since then seemed like they were going out trying to top that one instead of trying to have a good match.

That's the plan I believe. Seen a lot of sites report that NJPW's are working on bringing in a whole English speaking broadcast team including interviewers so gaijin talents like Davey, Devitt, Shelley and Anderson can but more natural promos in their native language.

That happens I might just start watcing NJPW regularily. Can't tell you how put off I am when I don't get what's going on.

I find the best thing about watching Japanese wrestling are the commentators going mental.

Granted I pick and choose, mostly Devitt's matches but some of Shelley's too.

And yeah, Davey Boy Smith Jr. (so weird calling him that) fits Japan like a glove. Dude wasn't let to show his talent in WWE, such a fluid performer for his size.

Welcome to the "D.H. Smith can be fucking awesome" club. Check out his work in FCW too. He put on a fucking clinic with Drew McIntyre.

Welcome to the "D.H. Smith can be fucking awesome" club. Check out his work in FCW too. He put on a fucking clinic with Drew McIntyre.

I've seen some. I remember watching his OVW debut years back too, and him teaming with Teddy "I'm totally insane but my last name is Hart so you can't say bad shit about me or your being disrespectful" Hart in the NGHF. Had me excited - then Hart got released for being himself.

That happens I might just start watcing NJPW regularily. Can't tell you how put off I am when I don't get what's going on.

More times than not they do a great job of telling a story in the ring so even if you don't understand the commentary you can still know what's going on inside the ring

If that English announce team idea goes ahead I will definitely watch hell even buy an iPPV should they sell them internationally, and of course if the timezone's good.

Been ages since I've watched Japanese stuff. I'll check this match out hopefully tomorrow then I'll give my thoughts on it. I remember Okada working a couple of TNA Xplosion matches and thought he was crap and also out of shape. Do you think it's a case of TNA treating him bad or has he just really improved since leaving TNA?

I guess my real question is what was his pre-TNA work like?

More times than not they do a great job of telling a story in the ring so even if you don't understand the commentary you can still know what's going on inside the ring

I want context, though. Why is Tanashai feuding with Okada? Why are the Timesplitters defending against this tag-team or that tag-team? Where is MVP at? And so on and so forth...

Thanks. Will watch it later when the opportunity comes up.

And if you get the chance Prince Devitt/Taguchi versus Alex Shelley/KUSHIDA is on the sidebar and is also very good.

I saw a gif of Devitt dropkicking Shelley in the face at the guard rail and it looked brutal. By any chance is that the same match?

I've seen some. I remember watching his OVW debut years back too, and him teaming with Teddy "I'm totally insane but my last name is Hart so you can't say bad shit about me or your being disrespectful" Hart in the NGHF. Had me excited - then Hart got released for being himself.

I'm watching the Smith match now. I came in wanting some suplexes (because hey, if DH Smith isn't throwing suplexes, you're using him wrong). The first big spot is Nakamura getting belly to bellied over the top rope. This match has succeeded already.

I saw a gif of Devitt dropkicking Shelley in the face at the guard rail and it looked brutal. By any chance is that the same match?

Same match. Prince Devitt is awesome. One of my favorite wrestlers. Used to see him around Ireland on the indies, still kind of perplexed how he went from local communities halls to being one of Japan's top talents.

I'm watching the Smith match now. I came in wanting some suplexes (because hey, if DH Smith isn't throwing suplexes, you're using him wrong). The first big spot is Nakamura getting belly to bellied over the top rope. This match has succeeded already.

Don't recall KES' opponents but Smith performed a release german suplex from the top rope and the camera panned to Archer who mouthed, "that was fucking sick!" There's also a gif of it somewhere I'll see if I can find that.

Don't recall KES' opponents but Smith performed a release german suplex from the top rope and the camera panned to Archer who mouthed, "that was fucking sick!" There's also a gif of it somewhere I'll see if I can find that.

Americans in puro seem to swear so often. Like Alex Shelley would audibly shout Motherfucker. Shame DH didn't bust out his triple belly to belly. That's just a fun move. But the Fireman's Jackhammer was a cool spot too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back