2013 Wrestlezone Sport Awards ***NOMINATION THREAD***

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
Hello everyone. With us only having two weeks before the new year, it's time for the Sports Stadium to have it's year end awards. This week will be the nomination period, followed by the polls a week after. Try to only consider the period from December 2012 to now. Here's the categories I thought of.

Athlete of the Year – Composing of athletes from all over the world. From US to UK to China to Australia, anybody's fair game. Can be an athlete from a team sport or an individual.

Team of the Year – Pretty straightforward. What team was the best team of 2013? Again, this is worldwide.

Game of the Year – What one individual game was the best?

Record of the Year – What record made this year (team or individual) was the most outstanding?

Moment of the Year – Similar to Game of the Year, but this is just an individual moment. Likely to see some overlap between the two.

The WTF Storyline of the Year – Yes sports, like wrestling, have their fair share of odd/fascinating storylines. Which storyline this year made you just say what... the... fuck?

I'm open to other suggestions, but I feel six is probably more than enough. For now I'll probably put anything on the polls that gets nominated, but if there comes to be too many then I'll maybe cut some down. As for some of my suggestions:

Athlete: Lebron James
Mike Trout
Miguel Cabrera
Clayton Kershaw
Adrian Peterson
Jameis Winston

Team of the Year: Miami Heat
Boston Red Sox
Louisville Cardinals Men's Basketball
Alabama Crimson Tide Football

Game of the Year: Miami Heat vs. San Antonio Spurs – NBA Finals Game 6
Baltimore Ravens vs. San Francisco 49ers – Super Bowl XLVII
Michigan vs. Kansas – NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
Alabama vs. Auburn – November 30, 2013

Record of the Year: Calvin Johnson single season receiving yards record.
*Definitely would like more in this category*

Moment of the Year: Ray Allen's 3 pointer – NBA Finals Game 6
Chris Davis' Walk-off FG Return TD – Alabama vs. Auburn
Obstruction call ends Game 3 of World Series
Florida Gulf Coast Makes the Sweet 16 as a 15 seed
Wichita State makes the Final Four as a 9 seed
Joe Flacco hits a Hail Mary to go to OT – Baltimore vs. Denver Divisional Round Game

The WTF Storyline of the Year: The Richie Incognito saga
The Mike Shanahan/Dan Snyder/RG3 saga
The lights go out at the Super Bowl
Dwight Howard's Free Agency
Kevin Ware's Gruesome Injury

Feel free to make any more nominations that you feel fit.

Be sure to vist the Sports Arena in the coming days to vote on the individual categories.

Athlete of the Year – Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
Jon Jones
Chris Weidman
Ronda Rousey

Team of the Year – Manchester United F.C.

Game of the Year – 2013 Australian Open Final - Victoria Azarenka vs. Li Na
UFC 165 - Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson (fight and game are kind of the same thing)

Record of the Year – 45–0 - Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

Moment of the Year – Chris Weidman knocks out Anderson Silva
Ronda Rousey wins UFC debut by first round armbar
Floyd Mayweather, Jr. defeats Saúl Álvarez and goes 45-0.

The WTF Storyline of the Year – ASADA investigation into Australian sport
Georges St-Pierre vacates UFC Welterweight Championship

Moment of the year: Mariano Rivera's last game

WTF Storyline of the year: Manti Te'o catfished
Derrick Rose cleared to play but doesn't return

Team of the Year – New Zealand rugby team, the All Blacks, have gone undefeated all year.

The WTF Storyline of the Year – Oscar Pistorius being charged with murder. Doping, match-fixing and contractual disputes pale in comparison. It's a horrible tragedy, but it did make a big impact.

The WTF Storyline of the Year: Joe Kinnear.

Athlete of the Year – Cristiano Ronaldo for his inhuman goals to games ratio and pretty much single-handedly dragging Portugal to the World Cup in Brazil next year

Team of the Year – Bayern Munich for their domestic and European dominance.

Game of the Year – Brazil beating Spain 3-0 in the final of the Confederations Cup in June or possibly July. Brazil had fallen out of the FIFA top 10 leading up to the tournament and there were lots of demonstrations being held as the Brazilian public protested about the amount of money being spent on the 2014 World Cup and Olympic bid, while the public felt over-looked. Spain have dominated international football for the past 4 years and are one of the definite favourites for the World Cup. Brazil bossed Spain in a way that hasn't been seen for many years and the crowd was absolutely electric for the whole 90 minutes.

Record of the Year – Its hard to keep up with them but I'm fairly sure that Ronaldo and Messi must have set some more goalscoring records.

Moment of the Year – Andy Murray finally wins Wimbledon having fallen short the year before but winning gold at the olympics. Had to rescue some games along the way but not only stood up to Djokovic in the final, he set the tempo and was pretty much in complete control of the whole match.

The WTF Storyline of the Year - Oscar Pistorious killing his girlfriend.

Athlete of the Year – Rafael Nadal for his comeback year back to no.1.

Team of the Year – Bayern Munich for winning the treble and breaking all records along the way.

Game of the Year – MIA vs SAN NBA finals Game 6. One of the best contested finals game and it has historic significance to boot. Not to mention heroics from both teams that seem to have won the game for either team. If not for Ray Allen's 3 Lebron Jame's legacy will be completely different now.

Record of the Year – Bayern broke or equaled 30 records during the 12/13 season according to Wikipeida. I say that is a great record.

Moment of the Year – Watford vs Leicester. From dismay to euphoria and reminded me why football is still great.
[YOUTUBE]59E-kVQ3ZlU[/YOUTUBE]

The WTF Storyline of the Year – Oscar Pistorius. To be honest I forgot about it until it was mentioned here but it was really a WTF few week in sports.

Wasn't that last year?

If we wait a week, Peyton Manning getting the all time record for TDs in a season should be a solid nominee.
Te'o was January 2013. His "girlfriend" "died" in like October but "Came back to life" in January right before the BCS Championship Game and the incident became public knowledge in late January.

Oh, and I agree with Brain about Mariano Rivera's last game. Easy choice for Moment of the year.

Megatron, is it worth doing an American and 'Rest of the World' poll for this?

I think its safe to say that the majority of posters who frequent the Sports section are American/watch American sports, so it'd maybe be nice to see the RotW mentions get a better showing?

Just a thought!

Moment of the year: Pirates end losing seasons streak, make playoffs for first time in 21 years.

Athlete of the year: Andre McCutcheon

Team of the year: Pittsburgh Pirates

Record of the year : Pirates end record setting 21 years of losing seasons

Game of the year: P irates defeat Reds in one game playoff to advance to 5 game playoff series with St. Louis.

Thbe WTF Moment of the year: Franciso Liriano doesn't win the NL CY Young.

Yes, I'm being a bit of a homer here. ;)

Boston Redsox for team of the year. They went from worst to first and it was just awesome to watch what happens when you get a good manager and some good clubhouse guys in the fold.

Redsox winning the world series for the first time in almost a 100 years at home was moment of the year for me,

WTF Storyline of the year...uhhh maybe the benching of RG3?

WTF Storyline of the year...uhhh maybe the benching of RG3?

The right move. He's clearly not 100% yet, and the team isn't going anywhere this postseason. Sit him now, so he's healthy for 2014 when everyone starts out 2014, and the Skins can build a little more through the draft/free agency.

Athlete of the Year: Dennis Rodman

Game of the Year: "The Mile High Miracle" Baltimore Ravens @ Denver Broncos, AFC Divisional Playoff game, Jan. 12

Record of the Year: Pick one, Minnesota Vikings @ Baltimore Ravens, Dec. 8

Moment of the Year: Rutgers University retires the jersey of injured player Eric LeGrand, the first jersey to be retired in the history of program.

WTF: Boston Marathon bombings

Don't think I forgot about these. If I have time tonight I will put them up or I will wait until the 26th.

I got four of the awards up and will get the other two up later today after I get a few errands done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back