2013 MLB Hall of Fame Class

Earlier today, the 2013 MLB Hall of Fame ballot was released. At first, the ballot doesn't seem too out of the ordinary -- guys like Jack Morris and Don Mattingly are making their 14th and 13th appearances, respectively -- but there are three names on the ballot that, if inducted, could alter the course of the Baseball Hall of Fame: Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and Sammy Sosa.

Dubbed the Baseball Hall of Fame's "Doping Class," the 2013 class could potential include some of the most controversial names of all time. Now, none of the three aforementioned men (Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa) have ever technically been outed as steroid users, but it's hard to overlook the indictments and ballooning numbers, coming in an era where many of the top players (guys like Mark McGuire, Jason Giambi, and Rafael Palmeiro) were admitted steroid users. These three men were key cogs in an era where records were effortlessly toppled and baseball players began to look like caricatures of what a baseball player had looked like. This era -- the steroid era -- forever tainted the game of baseball and has created a black cloud over what could have been one of the game's most cherished eras, with all the excellent talents that had been around.

Now, knowing how difficult it has been for Mark McGuire to get votes, this should be, at best, an uphill battle for Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa -- at least for the next few years. Regardless, these men -- Bonds and Clemens, in particular -- are some of the greatest players of all time and will likely make it into the hall some day. That being said, the Baseball Hall of Fame could cause a domino effect by inducting these men and would alienate certain members of the hall and a large group of fans, who would like nothing more than to erase these men and their era from the annals of history.

So, should Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa be considered as viable choices for the Hall of Fame and would your perception of the hall change if these three men were inducted?

Personally, while I despise PEDs and the fact that they made the game of baseball look so dirty, I can't imagine that Bonds and Clemens (if not Sosa, too) won't make it into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Bonds and Clemens were too dominant and hold too big of a part in history to overlook, even if they were aided by steroids. I would most certainly look at them -- and the hall -- a little differently than I did before, though. The hall of fame, in any sport, is reserved for those who made a considerable impact on the game and were some of the best to ever play. While Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa fit the bill, they don't really fit it in the same sense that Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Cal Ripken, or Jackie Robinson do.

Something about seeing Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa rub elbows with all the other members of the hall would just off-putting. In a sense, it would almost undermine the achievements of those before them and, in effect, embrace the steroid era. I'm not sure I want that example to placed forth for future generations of fans and players alike, especially because those men (Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa) knowingly broke the rules to get ahead, while all the others in the hall got there naturally.

Bonds is the most likely to go in. No other accused roider will get in before him. Should Bonds receive admittance, that's when the door may open for anyone else. I have a feeling Bonds will one day be enshrined, but it may take a few rounds. The rest of this ballot is loaded and I haven't been given any evidence from much of the BWAA that they want to put him in yet.

It's a situation where the Hall can't really win or please everybody. If they let people in like McGwire, Bonds and Clemens then people are going to complain that they are cheaters and don't deserve to be in.

If you exclude them from the Hall people are going to complain that they have the numbers to be in and in the cases of guys like Clemens and Bonds they never admitted to anything .and there is no evidence that you can factually use against them.

I already find it hard to take the Hall seriously because of the ban on Pete Rose. If they allow a confirmed cheater like Mark McGwire in then I definitely take them as a joke. Betting on the sport is worse than cheating? I just wouldn't be able to buy that.

All three of them should go in. This should be one of the most star studded HOF classes ever but the stubbornness of the holier than thou voters won’t allow that to happen. The Hall of Fame is a museum dedicated to the history of baseball. To ignore the greatest players of an entire generation would be irresponsible. Everyone seems to think an overwhelming majority of players were on steroids for about a 15 year period so why not let those who dominated during that era in the HOF? While I think all three should get in I’m not sure any of them will. I expect to see Craig Biggio and Mike Piazza get in. Maybe Curt Schilling. I’m on the fence about him but I think his postseason stats may get him in. I hope to see guys like Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, etc. eventually get in but I think it will take some time before people finally accept the era for what it was and move on.

If anyone is interested in reading more detailed thoughts on the steroid era click the link for an old thread of mine.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=115356

It's really simple. Bonds and Clemens are surefire Hall of Famers, and anyone who says differently needs to pull their head out of their ass. Even if you take out their steroid years, both guys had numbers which would easily put them in the Hall of Fame. Furthermore, most of those years, steroids weren't even considered a banned substance by Major League Baseball. Finally, it's been well known and well reported that as many as half the players in baseball (if not more) were using.

Sammy Sosa? I'm not sure about him. Unlike the other two, Sosa cannot get into the Hall of Fame without his steroid numbers. I'd have to do more research before I decide how I feel about Sosa.

I'll admit, I previously wouldn't have been for steroid users into the HOF. However, in time I've realized I don't really care if they cheated or not. Bonds is far and away the best hitter over the past 50 years and is arguably the greatest player of all time. Clemens, while not as dominant as Bonds, is clearly a top 5-10 pitcher ever. Sosa is a boarderline HOF, which is somewhat surprising when you look at simply his raw numbers. The truth with Sosa is that compared to the competitors of his era, his numbers aren't that impressive. I'd probably say yes to Swingin Sammy, although that's partially due to him and McGwire bringing back some of the popularity to the game during the late 90s. The other two should be slam dunks, though.

Sometimes I can't help but feel like a decent number of writers use the steroids argument against Bonds and Clemens to cover up another issue. They weren't very media friendly, and usually came off as assholes.

Personally I think it is BS that just because a guy isn't Mother Teresa he should be held out of the Hall. Every couple of years you hear about a guy who had "character issues" and it is preventing that person from getting a fair shake. Look at Chris Carter, there is no reason that man should not be in the HOF, but he had personal issues in his playing career and it has come back to bite him.

Those same guys that ten, fifteen years ago were getting denied interviews and their cameras and recorders shoved back in their faces by Bonds and Clemens and others are now the guys who have to power to pick who enters the Hall. There are plenty of guys in sports HOFs that were bad people. Ty Cobb was racist, Wilt Chamberlain was a womanizer.

Plus, people argue that steroids gave players an unfair advantage, yet those same people argue that over 1/2 the league was on them, so how unfair was it? Was it anymore unfair than Babe Ruth playing during a time that only whites could play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back