2012 Movie Tournament: Final List + Help Wanted

The anime list of films is good and i hate to sound like a broken record but i feel that the anime film Perfect Blue should be on the list. Aside from being regarded as one of the best anime films of all time, Darren Aronofsky purchased the US film rights to it and used parts of it for Requiem For A Dream and used it as inspiration for Black Swan.

The anime list of films is good and i hate to sound like a broken record but i feel that the anime film Perfect Blue should be on the list. Aside from being regarded as one of the best anime films of all time, Darren Aronofsky purchased the US film rights to it and used parts of it for Requiem For A Dream and used it as inspiration for Black Swan.

Out of interest, which parts?

Out of interest, which parts?

[YOUTUBE]anlHmGA-Bvs[/YOUTUBE]

Just that scene actually. I thought there was more. Still Aronofsky bought the rights solely for that scene and then basically ripped off Perfect Blue for Black Swan.

Because it's easier to sell fools on visuals than existentialism and human nature.

Well you failed to sell this fool on such shaky grounds.

Lacking in other areas? I'd love to hear specific on what you think it's lacking.

Being interesting when I tried to watch it one afternoon.

Also I find you characterizing Blade Runner as style over substance and then suggesting 2001 as a replacement is hilarious. You could write the entire dialogue for 2001 on 2 pages, it's one of the worst cases of style over substance ever committed to film. Shame really, there is a good idea idea behind it but it's never explored, guess that'd require a 3rd page.

This is a completely ridiculous statement. You people are the ones that were trying to sell people on it using style arguments over substance arguments. Supposedly you were just desperately pandering for the idiot vote or something equally ridiculous. Since when is dialogue the only thing that can give a film substance? Also which film has pieces of dialogue that are remembered by more people?

Blade Runner - Protagonist meets his "God", asks for more life and is told it's not possible, protagonist kills his "God" in a rage.

2001 - Protagonist meets his "God", lays around in bed a bit, gets reincarnated

I'd rather keep the rest of my arguments for the tournament

Judging by this piece I'd rather you saved them for comedy central. 2001 has all of one idea in it and it isn't even fully explored.:lmao: I think I found the real fool.

I've got the first round brackets finished, and I'm pretty excited about this tournament. Last time I talked with KB, the plan was to start on the 15th. So assuming that is still correct, hopefully we'll get the sub-section up this weekend and the final list posted.

What do you think of this graphic?

rLOtb.jpg

I know it's not as cool as some of the Battle Zone tournament backgrounds, but I thought it was pretty neat. Fits the theme, and it's clean and crisp. And no, that's not an actual first round match. I was just filling it in to see how it would look.

WAIT A DAMN MINUTE.

Where the hell is The Room?

You're tearing me apart HGR.

I've got the first round brackets finished, and I'm pretty excited about this tournament. Last time I talked with KB, the plan was to start on the 15th. So assuming that is still correct, hopefully we'll get the sub-section up this weekend and the final list posted.

rLOtb.jpg

I know it's not as cool as some of the Battle Zone tournament backgrounds, but I thought it was pretty neat. Fits the theme, and it's clean and crisp. And no, that's not an actual first round match. I was just filling it in to see how it would look.

GEE I WONDER WHERE YOU GOT THE DESIGN FROM

I'd remove the inner shadow on the text. Makes it overcomplicated, especially on the film titles. Readability is key.

rLOtb.jpg

I'd try to make the movie posters a little bigger, they feel cramped.

For the most part, it's good, but I think posters have offered sound suggestions that would improve the quality of the graphic. Doc was spot-on with the suggestion of removing the shadow effect on the text (as a more simple approach would be more apt), Loveless pointed out that the graphic is not symmetrical/proportional (the Fight Club poster graphic is seemingly marginally more "centered" than the Toy Story poster graphic), and as for J's comment on the size of the movie posters, while I don't particularly see where he's coming from, it'd be advantageous to consider it.

But, like I said, it looks fairly good as it is. If you accommodate and consider the suggestions given, however, the quality would probably enhance.

Edit: After briefly reviewing the image, I have a suggestion myself: the movie poster graphics do not look "crisp." That's how I would describe it, anyway. In particular, the Toy Story poster graphic does not look to be satisfactorily clear (just look at the text). Perhaps, this was what J was talking about.

As long as people know which films are to be discussed, then I'm content. If one graphic is slightly blurry than the other... what difference does that REALLY make to how people are going to argue for the film they prefer?

"Well I think Lion King is vastly superior to Hotel Rwanda, but because Simba looks a little less crisp than Don Cheadle then I might just be swayed."

C'mon guys. It's fine. Let's get this mother started already.

As long as people know which films are to be discussed, then I'm content. If one graphic is slightly blurry than the other... what difference does that REALLY make to how people are going to argue for the film they prefer?

"Well I think Lion King is vastly superior to Hotel Rwanda, but because Simba looks a little less crisp than Don Cheadle then I might just be swayed."

C'mon guys. It's fine. Let's get this mother started already.

That's not the point. He asked "What do you think of this graphic," and we're telling him what we think. Of course the graphics have no bearing on the discussion in the tournament, but they are a part of the tournament and the experience of the tournament. As I see it, we're trying to control the variables that can be controlled in order to make the best tournament possible.

I know what you're saying Blue Chipper and I didn't mean to come off like I was having a go at anyone about it. I just don't think that at the end of the tournament people are going to say, well that was good fun, but the graphics could have been sharper in the brackets.

If HGR wants feedback on the graphics then that's all well and good, I'm just looking forward to see the discussion start to flow on films that people feel passionately about. Graphics FOR the films I just cannot see as a determining factor of enjoyment of the tournament.

I know what you're saying Blue Chipper and I didn't mean to come off like I was having a go at anyone about it. I just don't think that at the end of the tournament people are going to say, well that was good fun, but the graphics could have been sharper in the brackets.

If HGR wants feedback on the graphics then that's all well and good, I'm just looking forward to see the discussion start to flow on films that people feel passionately about. Graphics FOR the films I just cannot see as a determining factor of enjoyment of the tournament.

I understand.

You know why I liked the Battlezone tournament we had so much? Because of the excellent graphics Doc produced. Really. Graphics do, to some extent, contribute to the experience of the tournament. My overall impression of the Battlezone tournament was affected positively by the superb graphics.

But, I see what you're saying; the discussion is undoubtedly the most important and fun part of a tournament.

Here is a preview of my arguments in the tournament:

Fight Club is fucking shit, and if you think it's in any way clever, you're a ******.

Citizen Kane is better than Scotty Pilgrim vs. The World. I've never seen either, but would bet my house that this is true.

There are too many anime films in this tournament because the Venn diagram for people who talk about wrestling on the internet and who like anime have a big crossovers. There's a million foreign language films that are far better, e.g. the entire history of French cinema.

Fight Club is shit, and I can't believe it made it to the second round.

Fight Club is completely and utterly shit, why won't it die? Even if I shoot it in the neck WHICH MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.

I like Fight Club. It's atmospheric and enthralling, with good narration, but I don't necessarily agree with or like the message.

The entire film is a plot hole.

How can he ring himself up? How is that possible? The entire turning point of his life is when he rings up the other guy and then goes to live with him but he is the other guy. So he can't ring him up, because then there wouldn't be a telephone. Not to mention the fact that nobody in the world would be interested in joining a man punching himself in the face. Without doubt the most overrated film in history.

Fight club is one of the only cases in history where the film has been legitimately superior to its source text. Of course it's still not especially good, but it's got Meatloaf in it; what more do you want?

The lack of movies that a) aren't American, b) weren't made in the past 20 years and c) don't revolve around explosions is disappointing.

Fight club is one of the only cases in history where the film has been legitimately superior to its source text.

If this is true, then the book must rank between the phone book and a leaflet on what to do now you've contracted syphillis in terms of quality reads.

Of course it's still not especially good, but it's got Meatloaf in it; what more do you want?

A film that has a coherent plot and hasn't been born in the mind of what a lower sixth form politics student in a Che Guevara t-shirt thinks is subversive. BLOCKBUSTER FILM STARRING BRAD PITT ATTACKS CONSUMERISM. I mean, seriously, grow up.

I'd rather suckle Meatloaf's tits.

If this is true, then the book must rank between the phone book and a leaflet on what to do now you've contracted syphillis in terms of quality reads.

Aside from some tweaks to the ending, the movie script it taken almost verbatim from the novel. They're as close to identical as it is possible to get, except the film does at least have some interesting visuals and occasionally creative direction. Plus, you know, Meatloaf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back