2012 Movie Tournament: Final List + Help Wanted

I'd place higher priority on movies which are likely to generate discussion - Scott Pilgrim and Clue, apparent forum favourites, being two of them - than 'objectively' great movies.

Edit: I'd also hasten to add that Alien, as the reigning champion, should probably be bumped up.

How would a film like The Green Mile NOT generate discussion? Especially with the recent death of Michael Clark Duncan. I'll concede A Beautiful Mind, since it's one of those "you have to see it to appreciate it" movies.

Lion King and/or Aladdin were two classics I toyed with throwing in. Got some feedback from a friend and we decided they'd both been talked about to death in the past 20ish years, and a newer Pixar classic like Wall-E could probably generate more discussion. Same reasoning for Scott Pilgrim; it's too well-loved among the 20-something demo not to be included.

Also,
268609_10150738724245156_446084_n_zpsdb9d36c6.jpg

I can't argue with that.

You could place Kick Ass in that same category though; loved by the 20 something demographic. Pixar has plenty of great films that are worthy of the tournament, so it's hard to pick just one. Personally I enjoyed The Incredibles more than Wall-E, Up, and Finding Nemo which are all fantastic films.

Spirited Away should be a definite. I'm shit at picking and choosing but either it or Grave of the Fireflies should absolutely be on the list. They're just too damn good and there's always room for animation on lists like this.

Spirited Away should be a definite. I'm shit at picking and choosing but either it or Grave of the Fireflies should absolutely be on the list. They're just too damn good and there's always room for animation on lists like this.

Grave of the Fireflies is on the list. I'd argue that Princess Mononoke was better than Spirited Away but, that's a debate I don't think we're going to get into this year.

Grave of the Fireflies is on the list. I'd argue that Princess Mononoke was better than Spirited Away but, that's a debate I don't think we're going to get into this year.
I think that'd be one hell of a debate, unfortunately I haven't seen Mononoke as many times as I've seen Spirited Away. I'm just saying Spirited Away over the others since it's arguably the most well known.

Remove.
20. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
24. Little Miss Sunshine
53. Blade Runner
57. Sin City
62. Pursuit of Happyness

Replace with
Pirates of the Carribbean
Jerry Maguire
2001: A Space Odyssey
Spiderman 2
Anyone of the Harry Potter Series.

All the movies listed first are better than Jerry Maguire.

Fuck Harry Potter.

That is all.

My list was intended to be read as

Remove
20. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Replace with
Pirates of the Carribbean

and so on...so I was asking to replace Blade Runner with 2001. Little Miss Sunshine with Jerry Maguire. Sci-fi with Sci-fi. Feel good movie with feel good movie.

I know Blade Runner is a cult classic, and inspired a generation of sci fi themes but I felt 2001 is better choice in that category. Also, talking to snakes > seeing unicorns.

I'd rather watch a Harry Potter movie than Pursuit of Happyness and it isn't even like i think the Harry Potter movies are particularly good. Since when is Blade Runner so good?

All the movies listed first are better than Jerry Maguire.

Fuck Harry Potter.

That is all.

Pursuit of Happiness is not nearly as good as Jerry Maguire. Jerry Maguire is often considered the movie that sums up the 90s. Pursuit of Happiness is often considered one of Will Smith's lesser exploits.

Have you actually seen it? It's an incredible film, visually, thematically and in terms of performance. The speech at the end solidifies it as probably the greatest sci-fi film I've seen.

It gets overhyped over the years due to Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford being in the film. Visually stunning, great overall themes but the heavy editing of the film in various cuts give it an uneven pacing that make me want to press fast forward.

This might be me still not forgiving Scott for Prometheus after being reminded of it recently again.

Have you actually seen it? It's an incredible film, visually, thematically and in terms of performance. The speech at the end solidifies it as probably the greatest sci-fi film I've seen.

I may need to watch it again. Here is my memory of the film. Started watching. Got bored as fuck. So did the person that I was watching with, they happened to have some common interests with SSC (god rest his soul). After that the movie still wasn't interesting. I feel like under those circumstances if it was visually stunning I would have noticed. Generally speaking almost any sci fi can hold my attention. From what I can vaguely remember it would mak sense that it would have been more impressive at the time it came out but I don't think it held up well enough over time to justify the hype it is getting here.

I don't think there's a movie out there with as convincing a futuristic world as Blade Runner. There's ones that are shinier and ones with bigger CG budgets - or any CG budgets whatsoever - but I think, watching it today, it's pretty evident how well Blade Runner has held up. This gritty, congested, polluted futureworld - it lives and breaths; hustles and bustles; feels lived in. I've not seen anything like it since in live action, though Akira might be a good comparison in the animated realm. Even stuff like The Fifth Element has relied on its quirkiness - Flash Gordon style - to compensate for how the world just doesn't quite click.

Most sci-fi ages like mad. Watch any Paul Verhoeven film and its pretty evident when it was filmed, much as they have their distinct charm. I can't say the same for Blade Runner (nor Alien).

I think there's grounds to attack Blade Runner. I personally don't think so, but I could understand if someone wanted to describe it as pretentious or boring. Its looks? No, I don't see it. That's something which Scott still hasn't lost his knack for - even if he's directing shite like Prometheus.

I'd also like to use this opportunity to point out that both Alien and Blade Runner are available on blu-ray and look like they were filmed yesterday.

I don't think there's a movie out there with as convincing a futuristic world as Blade Runner. There's ones that are shinier and ones with bigger CG budgets - or any CG budgets whatsoever - but I think, watching it today, it's pretty evident how well Blade Runner has held up. This gritty, congested, polluted futureworld - it lives and breaths; hustles and bustles; feels lived in. I've not seen anything like it since in live action, though Akira might be a good comparison in the animated realm. Even stuff like The Fifth Element has relied on its quirkiness - Flash Gordon style - to compensate for how the world just doesn't quite click.

Most sci-fi ages like mad. Watch any Paul Verhoeven film and its pretty evident when it was filmed, much as they have their distinct charm. I can't say the same for Blade Runner (nor Alien).

I think there's grounds to attack Blade Runner. I personally don't think so, but I could understand if someone wanted to describe it as pretentious or boring. Its looks? No, I don't see it. That's something which Scott still hasn't lost his knack for - even if he's directing shite like Prometheus.

I'd also like to use this opportunity to point out that both Alien and Blade Runner are available on blu-ray and look like they were filmed yesterday.

Assuming for some odd reason we are arguing between the two films it is even more amazing how well 2001 has held up. It sounds like Blade Runner is a style over substance flick. Doesn't surprise me that didn't enthrall me. Then again maybe it was just the wrong day to watch it because as I read about how it is put together it sounds like something I might enjoy. Maybe it falls under the too vague for its own good type of movie. I usually defend those films but there is such a thing as too much. There is a fine line between nuanced and choppy.

Assuming for some odd reason we are arguing between the two films it is even more amazing how well 2001 has held up. It sounds like Blade Runner is a style over substance flick. Doesn't surprise me that didn't enthrall me. Then again maybe it was just the wrong day to watch it because as I read about how it is put together it sounds like something I might enjoy. Maybe it falls under the too vague for its own good type of movie. I usually defend those films but there is such a thing as too much. There is a fine line between nuanced and choppy.

Wait, you haven't seen Blade Runner? I'd assume this is true because it definitely is NOT a style over substance film. That said, I'm not exactly a fan of it either and find it to be a fairly overrated movie. I'd still rather watch it over 2001 any day, though.

Wait, you haven't seen Blade Runner?

I "detailed" my Blade Runner experience above.

I'd assume this is true because it definitely is NOT a style over substance film.

Then why does everyone keep trying to sell the visuals as a key part of its awesomeness over various other potentially lacking areas?

That said, I'm not exactly a fan of it either and find it to be a fairly overrated movie.

See I don't need to remember it to get to the right point.

I'd still rather watch it over 2001 any day, though.

That is because you were born with an ipod in your mouth.

I haven't seen Blade Runner or 2001:A Space Odyssey. So pardon me not lunging at the opportunity of defending these films.

EDIT: Add Trainspotting. If you can. If not, Begbie's thoughts are with you below.

Then why does everyone keep trying to sell the visuals as a key part of its awesomeness over various other potentially lacking areas?

Because it's easier to sell fools on visuals than existentialism and human nature.
Lacking in other areas? I'd love to hear specific on what you think it's lacking.

Also I find you characterizing Blade Runner as style over substance and then suggesting 2001 as a replacement is hilarious. You could write the entire dialogue for 2001 on 2 pages, it's one of the worst cases of style over substance ever committed to film. Shame really, there is a good idea idea behind it but it's never explored, guess that'd require a 3rd page.

Blade Runner - Protagonist meets his "God", asks for more life and is told it's not possible, protagonist kills his "God" in a rage.

2001 - Protagonist meets his "God", lays around in bed a bit, gets reincarnated

I'd rather keep the rest of my arguments for the tournament

*Ahem*

Spoiler warnings would have been suitable.

Blade Runner is 30 years old, 2001 is 44 years old. Discussion is to be expected and I spoiled very little because they're not those kind of "Big Shocking Reveal" kind of films anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back