Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
goldeneye007.jpg

Two games from very different generations clash as one of the favourites takes on a game that constantly divides opinion.

Heavy-2D-Packshot-1_301861t.jpg

GOLDENEYE!!!!

The game that to this day is STILL known to many as THE multiplayer game. It was dang near a decade ahead of its time. The gameplay, music, characters, storylines, and multiplayer mode were all fantastic. It's one of the few times when the game was even better than the movie. Heavy Rain? Come on. Goldeneye wins by a longshot and I expect it to far in this tournament because of nostalgia AND superior scores in every category.

I'm taking Heavy Rain here. As enjoyable as Goldeneye was, in the end it's just another shooter and it's one that hasn't aged well at all.
Heavy Rain is one of those rare games that cames around once a generation and shows you something very different. It's certainly not perfect but it takes balls to make something so uncompromising in it's design and storytelling and that's always worth championing.

I voted for Heavy Rain.

I have had some bad memories playing Goldeneye. I personally never enjoyed the multiplayer and felt the game to be relatively too simple for my liking. Although I am not really all that into Shooter games. However, I found Heavy Rain to be an intriguing game that kept me interested throghout playing. I think that Heavy Rain wins my vote hands down because Goldeneye didn't give me the connection I want to feel, in my videogames.

There is no way that Goldeneye should go down to Heavy Rain. While I do respect the creativity of Heavy Rain , it just wasn't fun to play through for me personally.
There really isn't too much I can say about Goldeneye because I think pretty much everyone has played it and knows damn well just how good a game it is.

One thing I do want to say though is that while I do think innovation is important in video games, I do think that it is only a part of the formula. While Godleneye might not seem all that innovative when compared to Heavy Rain, it still managed to revolutionize a genre. It made the first-person genre popular and is responsible for games like Halo and Call of Duty. I know alot of of the old time gamers like to look down on Call of Duty and Halo, but they are still popular games.

Oh, and the Goldeneye being "just another shooter" argument is such bullshit. That's like saying Super Mario Bros. is just another platformer. You can't praise Heavy Rain for being innovative while ignoring Goldeneye's impact on gaming.

At least Heavy Rain's going out to a juggernaut.

Goldeneye 007 is one of the few excellent movie tie-in games. It brought FPS's to consoles and was great fun in its multiplayer mode. It's still fun today. I actually sat down and played it properly for the first time a few weeks ago with two friends and had a blast. It is revolutionary.

However, I still want to champion Heavy Rain.

A few weeks ago, I sat down and I played Heavy Rain for the first time, after finally managing to borrow it from a friend. I started early on a Friday, and finally put the controller down late on Sunday, after having been glued to the television during the most exhilarating emotional roller coaster I have ever been on.

At first glance, this doesn't seem like a big deal. Plenty of people have been sucked into video games before, right? Well, for me, it was. You see, the past year, I had really lost my spark for gaming. Even games I used to love I couldn't play for more than half an hour without tossing them aside. If I wasn't already playing a game, I didn't want to start, and once I did start, I wanted to stop.

Heavy Rain was the game that picked me up, heart-first, and thrust me back into love with video games. The graphics, the music, the characters, the story's twists and turns, I was totally hooked from the beginning. The controls felt natural and really helped the sense of immersion I had than if it controlled like a regular game. The story and atmosphere were gritty and realistic, yet just fictional enough not to feel uncomfortable. There were heartwarming moments, terrifying moments, sad moments, moments that ran the entire gamut of emotions in a single second. I loved every second of it, and I loved playing it twice through again afterwards to see all the stuff I missed or could do differently.

People often complain that the game starts off slow. I totally disagree, especially when playing it a second time. This introduction serves as a way to adjust the player to the controls as well as provide a counterpoint to the main game's atmosphere - a before-and-after effect if you will. In actuality, I think the pacing in this game is as good as you make it. For the most part, you choose whether to examine an environment or do what you need to do to advance the story. As someone who loves looking at every little detail, the fact that you could do so much in every scene and still have things to look at in a second playthrough really appealed to me.

This game also feels adult. I'm not talking "Mature" as in blood, guts, violence, and sex [though there is plenty of that]. I'm talking about how the game never looks down on the player. It is hard to explain what I mean by this, but anyone who's played and enjoyed it should know what I mean.

I felt so connected to each character by the end of it all, because of the amount of stuff you could do. You really got into their heads, understood their motives and reasons, and it made for one hell of a ride. You weren't playing a videogame and controlling a character. You were playing AS a character, and the controls reflected that.

Heavy Rain is a mental and emotional experience like no other. In an age where gaming has gone stagnant with FPS after FPS and clone after clone, Heavy Rain dares to be different, and it pays off in a thrilling and emotionally rewarding masterpiece.

Goldeneye may be an excellent multiplayer game and a classic bursting with nostalgia for many of you, but don't discredit Heavy Rain.

Reactions: X
Heavy Rain was great, and the story was magic, with the ending I don't think anyone expected, but it just happened to be going up against one of the best multiplayer games EVER. I remember many late nights shooting my family and friends in the face over and over and over. It was one of those competitive joys that are very hard to match. For a while, I honestly thought that shooting games couldn't get any better than 007 Goldeneye.

Goldeneye is simply put, one of the greatest games of all time.

Heavy Rain is easily, one of the nicest looking, most thrilling... interactive movies I've ever seen.

This isn't the best "Movie Game" tourny, this is the best Video Game thread, and if I wanted to, I could play Heavy Rain simply by watching it on youtube.

This isn't the best "Movie Game" tourny, this is the best Video Game thread, and if I wanted to, I could play Heavy Rain simply by watching it on youtube.

...Yeah, if you wanted to rob yourself of the experience of having complete control of your character, listening to their thoughts, controlling the actions you wanted to control, and witnessing your own failures unfold before your very eyes.

The "interactive movie" claim is absolute bullshit. Just because a game is cinematic doesn't mean it's an "interactive movie". Are RPGs "interactive books"? You could get the same story if it were novelized, right?

Let's look at the Wikipedia definition of a video game:
Wikipedia said:
A video game is an electronic game that involves interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device. ... The electronic systems used to play video games are known as platforms; examples of these are personal computers and video game consoles. ... The input device used to manipulate video games is called a game controller, and varies across platforms. ... Video games typically also use other ways of providing interaction and information to the player. ... Audio is almost universal, using sound reproduction devices, such as speakers and headphones. Other feedback may come via haptic peripherals, such as vibration or force feedback, with vibration sometimes used to simulate force feedback.

So why don't we go through it point-by-point?

"...interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device."
Well, yeah, Heavy Rain is for PS3, which connects to a TV. You use the controller to make your character walk around, explore areas, and interact with the enviroment. You press a button and stuff happens on your television.

When you watch a movie you have no control over what any character does, and can only examine what the characters examine. You are a passive observer, whereas in Heavy Rain you are extremely active.

Video Game - 1. Movie - 0.

"The electronic systems used to play video games are known as platforms; examples of these are personal computers and video game consoles."
Heavy Rain is available on disc for the Playstation 3. The Playstation 3 is a video game console. It will not work anywhere but on your PS3. Heavy Rain is for the PS3 platform. Any questions?

Video Game - 2. Movie - 0.

"The input device used to manipulate video games is called a game controller, and varies across platforms."
Again, PS3. PS3 controller. You interact with Heavy Rain by pushing buttons to make things happen on the screen. It's a game.

Video Game - 3. Movie - 0.

"Video games typically also use other ways of providing interaction and information to the player. ... Audio ... vibration or force feedback, with vibration sometimes used to simulate force feedback."
Heavy Rain used both music and vibration to enhance gameplay, with a brilliantly moody soundtrack performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, and full compatibility with the DualShock 3. Vibrations occurred at tense moments, such as when you are trying to crawl through a live field of electrical wires, or forced to cut off a section of your finger, or during any of the many, many heart-stopping scenarios the game throws at you.

Video Game - 4. Movie - 0.

Heavy Rain fulfills all the requirements to be considered a video game and it does it with aplomb. Anyone considering it an interactive movie probably hasn't experienced it the way it was intended.

To wrap things up, I'm just going to ask a simple question: Why do people play wrestling games when they could just watch wrestling on TV?

Think about it.

Heavy Rain completely blew.

The first half hour of that game is the most Gods forsakenly boring gameplay/film experience I have ever experienced. If a game wants to ape a movie that's fine, but no film opens with half an hour of a generic male brushing his teeth, shaving, playing with his children and suchlike. The most compelling drama offered during the first chapter of the game concerns the hunt for a missing teddy bear. Heavy Rain quite clearly wants to be a film, but if an actual film tried to feed an audience this rubbish then everyone would ether walk out of the cinema or lobotomies themselves before we got to the second act.

I'm not going to give the game points for originality because it isn't. Every aspect has been simply recycled from Indigo Prophesy, except stuff actually happened in Indigo Prophesy. Come to that Indigo Prophesy, despite going bat-shit stupid during the third act, had a far better idea of how to build drama and make decisions feel important. It also contained multiple incidences of dialog that sounded like it was written by a competent writer. Actually that's slightly unfair, Heavy Rain wasn't terribly written outside of the appalling first hour, but it wasn't up to IP's standards, and when your game is inferior to Indigo Prophesy then it doesn't deserve to enter round two regardless of it's competition.

Also, interactive movie or not, Heavy Rain is still technically a game, and as a game it falls flat. The movement controls are mind numbingly awful and the preposterous camera angles can turn a simple task like "walk across the room" into a minor logistical challenge. There is no genre specific reason why the controls need to be shit, so I'm not going to forgive the game for them being such.

Beyond the torturous movement the game essentially boils down to a string of QTEs that I fail to see the point of. They aren't fun, they don't enrich the game play experience and they are forgiving enough that you are unlikely to fail any of them meaningfully unless you deliberately try to sabotage your progress. What you are essentially left with is a sequence of cut scenes that simply force you to wave your controller around like a nonce every few minutes. Call me closed minded, but I don't remember watching Die Hard and thinking "man, this experience would be so much more intense if I was forced to fiddle with my remote every thirty seconds".

All of this could of course be forgiven if the story was compelling, but it really isn't. The text or audio based adventure games that people remember contain fantastic writing and deal with expansive and high minded themes that make them worthy of attention. Heavy Rain, despite borrowing so many narrative conventions from Seven and Zodiac, is on about the same narrative level as members of the Saw franchise if the Saw franchise spent half the movie focusing on middle income suburbia.

Heavy Rain forces you to play a game that isn't worth playing in order to facilitate the continuation of a film that isn't worth watching. I'm voting Goldeneye.

Heavy Rain doesn’t do well as a game, or a movie. The voice acting is terrible for anyone that isn’t the main character, it takes you hours to do the simplest of tasks, barely anyone has personality and what’s with the unimportant stuff in between? Everything is awful. And if you’re trying to view it as simply a game, then why does it not give you any choice in anything? You can’t even have Jason try to attempt the saving of his son! There is a point where a game tries to get too adventurous, taking way too many risks, and that is what happened here. You want to call it an interactive movie? Then give us more than one path to take, and maybe someone will believe you. For the people who are giving it props for doing something new? Save it for games that do something new, and do that well. But in the end, if Heavy Rain even gets through, it’ll only because of the sympathy votes so many of you seem to be giving it. It was intriguing? Cool. You can go watch a truckload of books, movies or play a bunch of video games, and get the exact same effect. While Goldeneye may be “just another shooter,” it’s a shooter that did amazingly well. Isn’t that a plus? Or isn’t that at least enough to put it over a game that tried but failed to be the next big thing in the gaming world? I won’t stop there though, let’s look at the many things that Goldeneye had going for it. I can guarantee, it has more than the awfully unique game slash movie thingy that is against it. The creators of the game had a lot of pressure on them, Doom not succeeding in making popular James Bond centered games previously. But this game, heck, it’s as close to perfection as you’ll get in a shooter these days. It changed people’s perceptions on games, it made people who weren’t even fans of the games genre, absolute fanatics. It did even better than the movie that it was based on, and when do you see that? Very rarely do you see a game that will recognize and act accordingly to scenes that were bad or didn’t fit. But this one did, eliminating the stuff that wasn’t needed and getting down to what was important. The campaign is just as good as any too, and you very rarely see shooters with awesome single and multiplayer modes. But this one does, even letting your actions and personal style dictate how a specific scene plays out. How cool is that? Very cool. There is almost too much to talk about every point, so I’ll just mention them. There is the revolutionary sniping mode that really affected how people use snipers in shooters today, an amazing hit detection that controls how the enemy acts depending on where you shot them, how the music differs depending on what the scene will soon present, and limiting weapons so that you never get tired as you try and complete an objective. Is that enough? I hope so, if you’re smart, it won’t need much. Heavy Rain doesn’t deserve to be put over such an important game in the world of shooters, so don’t let it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back