Turok 2 was better than Goldeneye

poppycock

Championship Contender
Ok, the thread title is for a reason, not just a comment meant to spark up shock/outrage or to go against the grain just for the sake of it...not only is it something I personally believe but also I would like to know some of your favourite games that you feel are better than socially acclaimed games/chart topping games in any genre.

I was always a massive fan of the Nintendo 64's Turok series and feel Turok 2 is the best of a great bunch. The game really was my favourite first person shooter on the N64 and the one I had most fun with. It (like all the games) has a great range of weapons..some of the best in video game history. Huge worlds to explore and many levels...the game was/is huge. I love the fact you could target limbs on enemies and how different weapons resulted in different levels of carnage and damage on your enemy. I take nothing away from Goldeneye and the game deserves all the praise it gets because it also is/was a work of art and a game I spent many an hour playing. Turok and Turok 2 for me summed up my teenage videogame years outside of wrestling games. I adore the series and think Turok 2 is underrated on many levels. Goldeneye takes it as far as multiplayer goes but I was never into multiplayer as much as single player so that does not dampen my feelings when comparing the two.

- What are your opinions, memories of the Turok series on the N64?
- What videogames do you personally favour over the usual list topping games in a genre?

Turok 2 was a rough looking game. Looking back, neither really has any favours in comparison but my god, Turok was massively overrated. They both came out very early on. Goldeneye was an all around far superior game with a better multiplayer but even that was surpassed by Perfect Dark on the same console.

The only thing Turok had going was the gore, the dinos and the arsenal. The Turok series is the kind of title that I'm surprised hasn't been redone on a big budget for the current generation. I know it's been tried but no one's really tried it on a big budget.

I've always enjoyed the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald group of Pokemon games over any before the fourth or fifth gens. I preferred the original Modern Warfare over anything since and I'm a big advocate of Ocarina of Time over any other Zelda game..

Turok, overrated? Not at all in my opinion, infact I feel the complete opposite. Yes it gets/got great praise and reviews at the time but it's not a game that many people bring up when talking about great games of the past. I got far more entertainment and pleasure out of Turok and Turok 2 than I ever did with Perfect Dark, although I quite enjoyed that game too. Turok 2 was a phenomenal gaming experiance and one I enjoyed every second of. The only thing that let me down was the ending but getting there was more than fun. The gore and dinosaurs and yeah the amazing arsenal of weapons all added to a brilliant journey and a game that to this day remains in my top 10 list. The first game in the series was also very fun and I hold a place in my heart for it and all the joy it gave me...as for looks the first was a bit foggy at times but it had the N64 charm I grew to like. Turok 2 had far less fog and looked great for the times in my opinion...not that looks matter to much to me when the game is that much fun.

I would also like to add to this thread that I prefer Wrestlemania 2000 over No Mercy. Having not played the WCW games in the series I can't comment too much on them other than what I did play I enjoyed as much as any wrestling game to date.

I didn't care much for Turok 2 at all. It had a lot of hype when it came out with some reviewers calling it "a must have" for the n64. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were far superior to Turok 2. Ill admit the AI were better in Turok 2 and i liked how some of the enemies ran away from you if you were on a bit of a killing spree. The was a good range of weapons and i the cerebral bore was a lot of fun to use.

Yet despite this i hated the game. I didn't enjoy playing it at all. Firstly for some reason it wouldn't save right on the n64 so i had to go out and buy a memory card for the controller to let me save the game meaning i had to redo the first two levels i lost from not being able to save.

The graphics weren't very good and the level designs were terrible. There would be times where you would have to jump from a ledge onto a ladder but they made them too far apart so that you had the time the jump perfectly meaning it took at least 10 attempts to get it done and if you failed you had to work your way back up to the ledge again.

I remember i think level 5 being a maze that took ages to figure out. By a pure fluke i managed to find the boss at the end but when i got killed i just stopped playing the game because i couldn't be bothered trying to find the boss again. It's one of two games i never finished and i have no desire to change that. I can't count how many times that game made me throw my controller at the TV.

To answer your second question i would have to say Black for the ps2. It came out when the ps2 was on it's last legs as the ps3 had been out for a few months at the time. I enjoyed it much more the the other shooters like killzone and halo. The graphics were stunning, certainly on par with the ps3 and xbox 360 at the time and really showed what the ps2 was capable of. There were some realistic touches as well. For instance while you were reloading the rest of the screen went blurry as the characters focus shifted to the gun. It added to the tension as you couldn't what had happened while you were reloading. Unfortunately it was a little short with only about 8-10 levels(seems like a lot now compared to COD) and it was overshadowed by the next gen consoles so it never got the attention it's quality deserved meaning a sequel was never made.

If you have a ps2 lying about you should really get this game if you can considering how cheap it should be now.

I really disagree with everything negative stated about Turok 2 so far but that is the beauty of opinions and certain things pleasing others whilst being hated by some at the same time. I loved the game and still drag it out from time to time. I thought the graphics where fine, not perfect and blocky but good enough. I could overlook graphics though because I liked the game so much, so I can see how it would be a negative for those who have no love for the game. If anybody has not yet played Turok 2 and would like to oneday I suggest you do it and figure out for yourselves if it's an epic masterpiece(like I see it) or an overrated average shooter.

As for Black..yes, I love that game too. I first played it only last year after finding it very cheap in CEX. Great game and amazing graphics for the PS2.

Turok games never appealed to me, just not a "dinosaurs" kind of person... except for maybe Barney when I was a kid and of course Power Rangers, but that's different.

As for the topic, I would say that Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2 blows Call of Duty games out of the park. There's just so much more you can do in those games to make each game unique and more interactive. Call of Duty, to me, is just another "Point and Shoot" game like Halo and really has no skill to it. When it comes to Rainbow Six, even though the max players limit is smaller, the games are way more entertaining. Not to mention, even the storymodes in Rainbow Six are awesome... something COD hasn't done since COD 2, IMO.

Also, Killer Instinct Gold beats Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 by miles. Sure, Mortal Kombat is a way competitive game and has given me hours upon hours of fun with the sick fatalities, but for me, KI Gold was just so much more fun. It was one MK-like game that was actually able to compete with Mortal Kombat, and in my opinion, beat Mortal Kombat.

I agree with you about Killer Instinct. I love Mortal Kombat and I also feel the only MK-like game that comes close to being as fun for me is Killer Instinct. Are there any plans of a future Killer Instinct game being released? I would be more than excited/interested in such a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back