Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 5

Chinatown
chinatown.jpg

Vs.

Smokey and the Bandit
L10271276.jpg

Welp, I was going to vote for Chinatown. Now that I see who it is up against, I simply cant.

I grew up with Smokey and The Bandit. Its a great flick. From action to comedy to drama. Its pretty much runs the gauntlet. It's a very entertaining flick that still stands the test of time. Maybe it's because of the fact that I in fact did grow up with it, but I cant vote against it. I know Chinatown is the better movie, and it is by far. I just cant say no to Smokey and The Bandit.

I'm putting the medal to the pedal and the thingy to the floor and voting for Smokey and the Bandit.

Wow NoFate wasn't here first. Surpising.

I'll give it to Chinatown, but not by much at all. It is just barely better, but they're completely different genres. If you're looking for a mix of everything but never really picking one, go with Smokey. If you want a straight noir film that you'll never really get all of and you guess the entire time, go with Chinatown.

I'll say China though due to Nicholson. He is nothing short of fantastic in this. I'm not sure if he won Best Actor or not, but I'd love to see who beat him out. Just an all around great movie with an amazing ending.

Where's Murfish? I thought he was planning on pushing Chinatown very hard.

I also have to give this to Chinatown in a close one. Both are classics in their genres, but Chinatown is an all-time classic. Pretty much the only reason it didn't win the Oscar was because it was up against The Godfather. Or was it Part 2? I can never remember. All I know is that Chinatown is an all time classic, and possibly THE best New Hollywood noirs. Jack Nicholson is simply fantastic, as are Faye Dunaway, John Huston, and director Roman Polanski. This is my favorite Polanski film, and I love most of his films, so that's saying something.

Well I will tie it up here against the makers of this great tournament here. I pick Smokey and the Bandit. The next round needs more fun movies to keep it interesting. I loved Smokey and the Bandit, and like Monkey, agree it was fun. For people in the 70s, The Pontiac Trans Am was made to look like a beast. I still have heard of people who collect the car just for the purpose of nostalgia for this movie, the same way that people collect the Dodge Charger. Smokey also went against a big name movie in its time, that being Star Wars. It will go against a big named movei this round, and Ill cheer for Smokey.

I would like to start this post by saying that I didn't even think it would be needed. I can't see how people would even consider putting Smokey and the Bandit over and all time great like Chinatown. Think about that before you vote. You have one of the greatest films ever, possibly the greatest mystery movie in existence, going against a "fun" little film. It is difficult to even put up an arguement as to why Chinatown is so much better because there is a very large gap in quality. Chinatown is probably one of the top three films in both the decade and the entire tournament. You watch that movie and tell me how a simple action/comedy/romance can match the complexity and mastery that is acheived in Chinatown. Chinatown may not be a film you enjoy, especially not at first; but it is a phenomenal film(I loved it from the first viewing). The acting is superb, you have some of the greatest scenes in movie history, amazingly haunting trumpet solos, and a fantastic plot. This movie has a quality that will trump almost all competition. If you want to argue that Chinatown is the lesser movie, you can't. That is simply because Chinatown is the superior movie. The only films in this tournament that deserve to knock Chinatown out, though I think that Chinatown deserves to win, are Star Wars and The Godfather. Even then I would like to see Chinatown pull through.

Bottom Line: Chinatown is on a whole different level than Smokey and if you haven't seen this movie, watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back