Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 8
The Deer Hunter
The_Deer_Hunter_poster.jpg

Vs.]

Grease

grease.jpg

I hate Grease. I absolutely think it is the most overrated movie I have ever seen. Wow, they can sing. Big freaking woot. There is one redeeming quality and that is the leather pants at the end. Other than taht, I'd rather beat myself in the head with a brick. Deer Hunter is great on the other hand. A De Niro war movie? Is there really anything better than that? Not that I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh wow. And epic movie like Deer Hunter combined with an epic scene to finish it off, with a game of Russian Roulette. Can it get any better? Well maybe it it added a song! Grease I can say had a really catchy soundtrack. The movie wasn't that great, and it just made me wish for a big gang fight that never happened. It was pretty funny though. One thing I would have added though... A game of Russian Roulette with Travolta pulling the final trigger. My pick goes to Deer Hunter.

"Grease" is a great fucking movie. It really is. In my book, it's the greatest musical of all time, but "The Deer Hunter" gets my vote here.

"The Deer Hunter" starts off kind of slow, but man.. once they go to war, the impact this film has on you cannot be matched by "Grease". From the Russian Roulette scenes, to the characters trying to recover from the mental anguish they suffered from their tour of duty in Vietnam; the film just touches you. It's an unbelievable picture, with unbelievable acting as well. De Niro was fantastic, and Walken never topped his performance in that film and never will.

One I think that needs to be addressed is that The Deer Hunter is NOT really a "war" movie in the traditional sense. It's a drama about the effects the war has on a small West Virginia town (Is it West Virginia? I always forget), and that's why in many people's eyes it "takes to long to start up". The Vietnam War parts of the movie are just a chapter to the movie. The Deer Hunter is basically three parts, and the War is one part. And Michael Cimino directs this epic with such ease that's it's almost unphathomable how he managed to screw up his career (creative control+ big ego= movie over budget= Heaven's Gate, one of the biggest bombs of all time that single-handedly bankrupted it's studio). I digress.

The acting is unbelievable. Robert DiNero gives one of his best performances, filled with all the right emotions, nuanced when needed, frenzied at the most tense moments. And Christopher Walken gives his defining performance, as a man who leaves for war so optimistic, so seemingly incorruptible, and loses it all. It's honestly one of the most tragic stories you'll ever see on film. It gets so many comparisions to Apocalypse Now, whereas Full Metal Jacket gets compared with Platoon, most likely because of the the time frames they were released (The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now in the late 70's, FMJ and Platoon in the mid-80's). But I think The Deer Hunter has more in common with Full Metal Jacket, in that it is a story about the retaining of one's sanity, one's humanity, even when everything else is lost, including innocence. A lot of people will say that The Deer Hunter is depressing. I find it to be slightly uplifting. In that final scene in the bar, despite the pain and sadness they are all suffering, you know, that they are all going to be alright.

Grease is a fun musical. The performances are good, the songs are catchy, and the 50's setting is flawless. It's a really really good movie. But The Deer Hunter is just fantastic. It wins, hands down, and this is another movie I'm insisting people try and seek out if they've yet to see it.

I absolutely despise Grease. In fact, I've never seen it all the way threw. I just can't sit threw that long, obnoxious crap. I've never, ever been a fan of the musical, and this is a musical, so it doesn't take to much to figure that out. The Deer Hunter is a fantastic flick, and most think it's a war movie, when it's not. Plus, it's probably Christopher Walkens best movie role, and that's saying a ton, because the man is simply bad ass.

One is known the world over, has songs that almost everybody has heard and knows. The other is just one of the great films that DeNiro did in the 70's. As good as The Deer Hunter is, it's nowhere near as entertaining as Grease is. You can't even argue that Deer Hunter is a better film, they're just different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back