11/20/11: Attitude Era VS Cena [PG] Era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlwaysHasBeen

Occasional Pre-Show
After hearing that the Rock was slated to take part in this year's Survivor Series event at the Garden, it got me thinking of a way which he could have the most impact upon his return. Seeing that the traditional SS match pits a team of 5 (or 4) against another team of the same amount, what would you think of Rock rallying up his Attitude Era cohorts, the likes of Austin, Taker, HHH, HBK, and maybe even (eh...) Foley (with the talk of his return and all) and challenging John Cena to put together his elite squad of "future" and present WWE "stars" to see which era really kicks ass in an elimination SS tag match? Think this would work?

Something like that could be an interesting route to go with. The only problems with your idea are that Michaels retired and Stone Cold can't wrestle anymore. Rock, Henry, Kane, Trips, and perhaps Christian could work. Not the best lineup but they are all able to still work a good match and were around in that era. Cena could then lead a team of himself, Sheamus, Orton, Morrison, and Bryan or something like that. It's certainly an idea for WWE to consider because it would help put over the guys on Cena's team if they won.

Not going to happen.

You're gonna see all this interference from both Cena and Rock, but for an actual match, where either of these two are "officially" squaring off? Not going to happen until Wrestlemania.

i love this idea, ive always thought the series shouldve stayed with the team elimination matches meaning u had to survive instead of ya typical one on one matches that r at every ppv. im not sure who i would have on team attitude cause there is alot of big names that r still around. perhaps a 4 on 4 match with cena and rock in their teams corners. obviously rock and cena dont need the push but its still a rock/cena match by having them have their own reps in the match kinda like the mcmahon vs trump match.we all knew it was umaga vs lashley in the ring, but it was indeed vince vs donald. thats how i could see this survivor series match.

team attitude
mark henry
kane
hhh
and not sure, maybe bigshow

team pg
del rio
miz
morrison
sheamus

now granted team pg could be tweeked in so many ways depended on who needs the rub at the time. as with team attutude, the numbers are dwindling with undertaker in semi-retiement and hbk gone and u might be able to include austin cause i heard he might be able to go one more time, but i dont see vince wasting austin on a 4 on 4 tag match.

Attitude era would forfeit the match due to one of it's member's giving birth to a glove or being crushed by a wrecking ball or maybe being held at gun point or something stupid like that. The attitude era was awful, but people still have on their rose color glasses because they miss the penis jokes.

Right, because that was the only era that's ever had anything stupid happen. :rolleyes: The attitude era was the best era in the history of pro wrestling for a reason. I'm guessing you weren't old enough to see it to understand why, though.

As for the topic, no thanks. If Austin could wrestle, Taker could wrestle more than once a year, HBK was still active, Foley was in wrestling shape, and Triple H wasn't the CEO (which, hopefully, means he's not active either)...that'd be great to see them team up against Cena, Orton, etc. But Mark Henry, Kane, Big Show, Christian? I'll pass. I'm sure Rock's involvement will just be another guest host-esque appearance or being a special guest referee.

Here's what I'd do. Keep Punk and Cena's titles seperate until then, and then hold a mini tournament to unify them. Punk faces off against Myterio or some other face and Cena against Del Rio/Miz/Truth/etc. Winners have a match to unify the titles that same night. Have Rock be the referee for Cena's first match to further their fued and Austin be the referee for Punk's first match...to set up Austin vs. Punk at Wrestlemania? Maybe? And if Jericho's ready to return, you could have him ref the final match and have that lead right into his next fued.

For people who don't know anything about wrestling history(like the person I replied to at the beginning of this post), the reason behind the selection of the special referees is because there were 3 of the 4 participants in a tournament to unify the World Championship and WWF Championship, and the 10 year anniversary of that event is just a few weeks after Survivor Series. I think it'd be a great way to commemorate a historic night, and it can easily be tied into the current storylines.

I have a better, idea, you still do a "Team Bring it vs Cenation" however it's a group of modern guys that The Rock hand picks.

Why go back with the tude era? That's not really putting anyone over. However, if the Rock picks guys then they get the rub because the crowd says "ooo Rock likes this guy, I bet he's good". There's the Colbert bump, now you use the Rock bump.

Whoever the fuck said belts meant more in the attitude era....did you even watch it? The Rock was a 6 time champion from late 1999 to early 2001. That's insane the amount of times it was dropped and won again. I mean Chyna won the IC title and you're bitching about Otunga? Really? Stop letting nostalgia get to you.

This is an idea that generally holds the most appeal to Attitude Era marks that have romanticized the AE as this time period where all happenings were epics, all feuds classics, all promos & angles gold and all matches were 5 star. The Attitude Era was fun and some innovative stuff happened. But it wasn't all great. Not by a long shot.

To some degree, we've already seen this angle before but it happened in TNA. It was the Main Event Mafia vs. TNA Originals. It dominated the TNA landscape for about a year and generally revolved around the old guys kicking the snot out of the homegrown TNA talent. Even if WWE went forward with this idea, which I will agree could potentially be interesting and generate some buys for the event, it's a situation in which WWE simply can't win. Let's say that Cena's team wins; the Attitude Era marks, the Cena haters, the PG bashers and all the other crazies will come out of the woodwork criticizing the whole event as a waste of time because they're precious nostalgic favorites didn't win, even though the older guys should put over the younger team. On the other hand, if the AE team came out with a victory, the WWE passes up a golden opportunity to put over some new stars via utilizing the star power generated by a team comprised of very beloved WWE legends. It's a good way of making the guys that you've spent the past several years building up look like chumps.

Personally, I think this is an idea that sounds good on paper but I can't see it really being pulled off successfully. First, from a pure storyline perspective, why would anyone really want to be on the rock's team? If he's picking "friends" of his still on the current roster, wouldn't they (just like Cena and the rest of the locker room) feel that Rock abandoned them, thinks himself better than the WWE and the rest of them, etc? That's kind of the whole backstory that is fueling Cena's problem with the Rock, so for that to continue, I wouldn't imagine that there'd be too many willing to hop on a team, especially since the Rock himself wouldn't be an active participant in the actual survivor series match.

Second, from a booking standpoint, those still around from the attitude era would have no realistic chance against a group of guys that are younger, faster, and honestly, not falling apart the way those like undertaker and HHH are. Sure the veterans may be wiser and have more in their arsenal, but to actually win in a team competition? No way.

Third, no matter who wins, it doesn't seem to really do the whole rock/cena feud, which is at the center of this idea, any real favors.

So I guess in the end, while I think it's an interesting idea and might even be a good match, to me personally I can't see it happening.

Vince has spent years now trying to make people forget the AE, why would he go back on that now? It was a thing he did because he HAD to, not because he wanted to.

IF, and thats a huge if.. IF they were to do anything like this, I like the Idea of Team Bring it vs Cenation. But even that seems off, because why do that, when you could have Rock cost Cena a match instead? Cena vs Punk will probably still be going on then by the way things are going. I like a Team Cena, with people who have his back, vs Team Punk, and some of his ROH comrades. That's a much better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back