You're Starting a Wrestling Promotion and you need Three Bookers

JGlass

Unregistered User
Credit goes to IC for this idea:

Let's say that you're starting a wrestling promotion and you need three bookers to get it started. Your goal? To compete with Vince McMahon in the WWE. Since this is completely theoretical, let's say you can get any three bookers, past or present, alive or dead, and they could be working at any company right now, wrestling or retired. The only person off limits is Vince McMahon.

I put this in the spam zone so you can just list the names if you are so inclined, but some insight would be appreciated. Here's my list...

1) Paul Heyman- Paul was able to do a lot with a little... and by a little I mean almost nothing. He had guys who could barely talk and barely wrestle and made them into superstars. Part of it was because of how he booked wrestling, but part of it was because he made ECW into a community, not just another wrestling company. I would love to have a guy on my staff that didn't just book wrestling, but also built a product that fans would fall in love with.

2) Jim Cornette- In my opinion, Cornette is one of the great wrestling minds of our time, and he shows it every time he talks. He's got a penchant for old school classics, but also understands that you need to modernize to be successful. Like Heyman, he managed to take a promotion from nothing and make into something, creating a few major stars along the way, like Chris Jericho.

Furthermore, this creates an interesting dynamic between Cornette and Heyman. They both worked together pretty well in WCW, but it's a known fact that there's a bit of a rivalry between these two. While it could backfire, I'd expect a little workplace rivalry to inspire these two to one-up each other, and hopefully provide alternative views on the same subject.

3) Mick Foley- While I'd have two hotheads in Heyman and Cornette, I'd have Foley to be my peacemaker and relaxed guy. Despite the bumps to the head Foley has taken over the years, the guy have a brilliant wrestling mind. He's been featured prominently in three of the major wrestling promotions, and is one of the most beloved figures in all of professional wrestling. Who would know how to get people over better than an fat, oddball, misfit type?

So who are your choices?

Quackenbush, Sapolsky, Excalibur. The guys behind the best of the indies. Give them enough money to get on national TV and hold onto their talent and watch them shine.

1) Paul Heyman- Paul was able to do a lot with a little... and by a little I mean almost nothing. He had guys who could barely talk and barely wrestle and made them into superstars. Part of it was because of how he booked wrestling, but part of it was because he made ECW into a community, not just another wrestling company. I would love to have a guy on my staff that didn't just book wrestling, but also built a product that fans would fall in love with.

2) Jim Cornette- In my opinion, Cornette is one of the great wrestling minds of our time, and he shows it every time he talks. He's got a penchant for old school classics, but also understands that you need to modernize to be successful. Like Heyman, he managed to take a promotion from nothing and make into something, creating a few major stars along the way, like Chris Jericho.

Furthermore, this creates an interesting dynamic between Cornette and Heyman. They both worked together pretty well in WCW, but it's a known fact that there's a bit of a rivalry between these two. While it could backfire, I'd expect a little workplace rivalry to inspire these two to one-up each other, and hopefully provide alternative views on the same subject.

3) Mick Foley- While I'd have two hotheads in Heyman and Cornette, I'd have Foley to be my peacemaker and relaxed guy. Despite the bumps to the head Foley has taken over the years, the guy have a brilliant wrestling mind. He's been featured prominently in three of the major wrestling promotions, and is one of the most beloved figures in all of professional wrestling. Who would know how to get people over better than an fat, oddball, misfit type?

I clicked on this thread solely to say that Heyman should not be one of the choices but I can't get past you coming up with a significantly more misguided choice that appears to actually be serious.

I clicked on this thread solely to say that Heyman should not be one of the choices but I can't get past you coming up with a significantly more misguided choice that appears to actually be serious.

What's your strategy? Attack the WWE on their own ground? How's that working out for Dixie?

The only thing that could possible compete with the WWE is something so radically different that it's barely even recognizable as a variation on the same product, it just needs the capital to get behind it.

Typical shattered dream post, stating an opinion with absolutely no argument to back it up. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with your choices harthan beyond the fact that you likely need some mainstream experience if your goal is to compete there. My comment was intended for jiggles. I made the cornette face for a good minute after I read his name. The greatest wrestling mind of our time part completely blew my mind so I couldn't even offer substance for people to call trolling.

I don't have a problem with your choices harthan beyond the fact that you likely need some mainstream experience if your goal is to compete there. My comment was intended for jiggles. I made the cornette face for a good minute after I read his name. The greatest wrestling mind of our time part completely blew my mind so I couldn't even offer substance for people to call trolling.

Or because you have no substance to offer. Which is fine, I don't think anybody expects any more out of you.

For the record, this entire thread will perpetuate nothing but ignorance. None of you have an intimate and well-founded knowledge of what most bookers are and aren't responsible for, and most people here can probably only name a small handful of them. This is going to be the hottest pile of garbage you'll see in the spam sections this week, and Monday just started.

Have fun. :)

I don't really feel like writing a word fort on the pros and cons of Heyman right now. Sue me. It isn't like I haven't done it before.

EDIT: Also, what coco said.

For the record, this entire thread will perpetuate nothing but ignorance. None of you have an intimate and well-founded knowledge of what most bookers are and aren't responsible for, and most people here can probably only name a small handful of them. This is going to be the hottest pile of garbage you'll see in the spam sections this week, and Monday just started.

Have fun. :)

You're absolutely right on one count... and the other remains to be seen. However, it's still an interesting question in my mind, and I figure I can wade through the garbage to find what someone who has a respectful amount of intellect has to offer.

You just credited Jim Cornette with creating the star that is Chris Jericho. You'll have to forgive me if I don't even think your intellect is hitting the bar for respectful on this one.

You just credited Jim Cornette with creating the star that is Chris Jericho. You'll have to forgive me if I don't even think your intellect is hitting the bar for respectful on this one.

Perhaps creating Chris Jericho is giving him slightly too much credit, but I will go no further back than saying he nurtured Jericho and his talents.

As such, you're forgiven.

Nurturing is nice. Obscene return on investment of said nurturing is better. I don't think nurturing Jericho in SMW is something I'd list high on the resumé of someone you're trying to paint as a potential competitor for Vince McMahon. You should be able to point to more tangible results than that.

Nurturing is nice. Obscene return on investment of said nurturing is better. I don't think nurturing Jericho in SMW is something I'd list high on the resumé of someone you're trying to paint as a potential competitor for Vince McMahon. You should be able to point to more tangible results than that.

How about the fact that he put on an entertaining, fairly competitive wrestling program weekly from a company that had little to no funding? And the fact that he managed to use all unknown wrestlers to make a company with one financial backer and no reliable TV deal last 4 years, all the while competing with WCW, WWF, and ECW, all of whom were poaching his talent?

If I'm starting with little money, I'm not hiring a guy like Arn Anderson that has had the luxury of booking top tier talent his entire career as a booker. I'm taking a guy that can find a diamond in the rough.

I like that. Way to frame the issue properly. Word things like that and cut the fluff about nurturing the likes of Chris Jericho. A step in the right direction. You'll win me over yet, newcomer.

Good, because my next thread is going to be how would you base an entire wrestling promotion around Rey Mysterio and Rob Van Dam, and I was hoping for your input.

In 4 years he couldn't nurture a product anyone wanted to put on tv consistently and this is supposed to convince me he can compete with the WWE why again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back