Your Top 3 Matches of 1996?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quink987

Pre-Show Stalwart
ok through out 1996 we saw the rise of Stone Cold Steve Austin from the his RingMaster Gimmick to the Heel Stone Cold Steve Austin his Famous Speech at KOTR 1996, We saw the first ever Iron Man Match, Shawn Michaels rising to the Main Event and Carrying the company for most part of this year,in WCW we saw Scott Hall and Kevin NAsh invade WCW, HOgan turning on the fans and forming the NWO, the Rise of the Cruiserwieghts so throughout this great year in Wrestling what was your Favourite Matches which you can watch over and over again?
for me.........

WWF Title In your House 10
Shawn Michaels vs Mankind

This was a great back and fourth match which showed how Hardcore Shawn Michaels can be, the match had some great spots throughout and the tempo was really high a great WWE match.

Cruiserweight title Halloween Havoc 1996
Dean Malenko vs Rey Mysterio jr

these 2 have always worked well together, this was Lucha Libra vs Technical Wrestling a great Match every fan loads of Back and foruth action throughout.

WWF title KOTR 1996
Shawn Michaels vs British Bulldog

for me I could watch this match every day because the build up was great the performance from both men was top notch, these 2 have had classic matches in the past but for me this one was their best one,

I know Ive left out a lot of match which should be on this list like the Iron Man Match and the First Buried Alive MAtch but this thread is about your Favourite matches that you enjoy watching, over and over again so whats yours?

Here are my top three matches on 1996...

1. HBK vs. Bret Hart WM XII (60 minute Iron Man Match for the WWF Title)
One of the single greatest wrestling matches of all time! Has to be #1 on this list especially! First Iron Man Match and two GREAT superstars! Awesome match! Just watch it and you will see!!!

2. WWF Title In your House 10
Shawn Michaels vs Mankind
Awesome match just like the first with hardcore involved! Mankind's best match in my opinion, although his HIAC was pretty great!

3. Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. Halloween Havoc '96 (Cruiserweight title)
This was the most fun match to watch! Two awesome wrestlers who gave 100% and eventually became the only highlight of WCW! This match was awesome!!!!!!!!

Here are my top three matches on 1996...

1. HBK vs. Bret Hart WM XII (60 minute Iron Man Match for the WWF Title)
One of the single greatest wrestling matches of all time! Has to be #1 on this list especially! First Iron Man Match and two GREAT superstars! Awesome match! Just watch it and you will see!!!

:banghead:

With all due respect, this match is the most overrated match in Wrestlemania history. Nearly half of this match is rest holds and there are no close pinfalls whatsoever. Each finisher was only used once (considering Shawn used both consecutively). No offense bro, but I barf everytime I hear people talk about this match like this.

1996 was the year I got into wrestling, so it'll always be somewhat special to me.

1) Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart (Iron Man Match for the WWF Championship, WrestleMania XII)
You can call it overrated if you want, and that's your opinion, but here's mine: As a 10 year old kid just getting into wrestling, I was ENTHRALLED with this match. For a 60 minute match, the pacing was great. Bret and Shawn are both masters of ring psychology and it shows in this match. Maybe I'm just looking at it through rose-colored glasses thanks to nostalgia, but this match always sticks out. (HBK being my favorite wrestler ever and this being his first WWF Championship win probably doesn't help, either :p)

2) Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind (In Your House 10)
Another great HBK match here. Mankind was a newcomer to the WWF and his character was so new and refreshing. Not to mention, dude could take some serious bumps. Like nothing we'd ever seen in the World Wrestling Federation. Took HBK's game to a whole new level, too, and showed he could adapt to unfamiliar styles quickly.

3) Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage, Sting, and Lex Luger (Bash at the Beach)
Maybe not the greatest match of all time, but definitely one of the top 5 most IMPORTANT matches of all time. This one started it all, and as much as I was a WWF guy, we really have the nWo to thank for the Attitude Era on the whole.

With all due respect, this match is the most overrated match in Wrestlemania history. Nearly half of this match is rest holds and there are no close pinfalls whatsoever. Each finisher was only used once (considering Shawn used both consecutively). No offense bro, but I barf everytime I hear people talk about this match like this.

Sorry Biz but I could not disagree more, this match was a classic and really explored new ground for the WWE at the time and it set a standard for Iron Man match which I personally dont fell has ever been better.

Two of the greatest workers in the history of the business, in there prime battling it out for 60 minutes in a match that had a little bit of everything, and was nothing short of a wrestling masterclass from two of the best.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion though, and thats mine lol :lmao:

3. Shawn Michaels vs. Diesel, Good Friends Better EnemiesHonestly I
could have just as easily said HBK vs. Mankind from Mind Games here. It’s pretty much a coin toss between the two. HBK was known for his high flying style. We also knew he could excel at mat wrestling. This match showed us he could hold his own in a fight. This was a great match for HBK’s first title defense. It was against a credible opponent and he overcame the odds to prove he was worthy of being the top guy in the WWF.

2. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, Survivor Series

I realize there are only three lists so far, but why don’t any of them have this match. I think I know why. It’s because when people think Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin they think WrestleMania 13. The Survivor Series is an often overlooked classic. There was a certain electricity in the Garden that night that gave this the big fight atmosphere. It was Bret’s first match since WrestleMania 12 and he didn’t miss a beat. You can credit the KOTR speech all you want, but Bret Hart was the one who made Steve Austin a star.

1. Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania 12

There are more people who criticize this match than praise it so it’s really can’t be overrated. I don’t understand why people have a problem with the rest holds in this match. The fact that endurance was going to play such a huge role was heavily hyped for this match. It’s only smart to try to wear your opponent down while using the least amount of your own energy. It made sense. Neither man being able to score a decision over the other really added to the match. It’s much more realistic than the usual 6-5 iron man match. As for each finisher only being used once, it’s called building for the moment. The crowd went crazy when Bret finally locked the sharpshooter on Shawn. It’s funny how many people say they want better wrestling matches but criticize this match. Did you really think they were going to go with a fast paced high impact match for the entire sixty minutes? This match delivered as expected and my expectations were high.

1)Austin vs Bret at Survivor Series

(In my opinion this was BETTER than the Wrestlemania match. Althought that match had the better moment with Austins face drenched in blood while he refused to submit. I loved the finish to this Survivor Series match though. It was the same finish as the Bret vs Piper match at Wrestlemania 8. One of my beefs with wrestling is that Wrestlers rarely try the same thing twice. If it worked before....why not try it again. The continuity of Bret using the same reversal hold he used on Piper from 4 years earlier is a credit to how much the Hitman paid attention to detail.

2)Sting, Luger, Savage vs Hall, Nash, Mystery Partner (Hogan): BasH At The BeacH

The Formation of the nWo will always be among the greatest moments in wrestling history

3)HBK vs Bret

I'm not as big on this match as some people are. I think Shawn and Bret are the two greatest wrestlers of all time, but for some reason I wouldnt put this match on either mans' top 3 matches of all time. But still, it was a first for Wrestlemania and a memorable moment for Micheals.

3) Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Savio Vega - Strap match IYN Beware of Dog 2 - I enjoyed this match. It was innovative and very entertaining. Both men put on a brutal match, the idea of having to touch all four corners to win is a great idea and I think austin and vega put on a great match

2) Shawn Michaels vs British Bulldog - KOTR 1996. Classic match by 2 classic wrestlers. Both men were exciting competitors. I always enjoyed watching a match where 2 men could bring out the absolute best in eachother. This was a great match. 1996 marked the year when the feud really took off between Shawn Michaels and the Hart family.

1) OVERRATED???? Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart - Wrestlemania 12. ummmmm...no...this match is not overrated. This match elevated both competitors to another level. The action was great. They brought out the absolute best in eachother. Both stepped up their game in this match. They showcased their absolute best, Michaels the high flyer showed that he could be just as good on the mat going hold for hold with Bret. it was a 1hr match that has me glued to the tv everytime I watch it!

1.Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart Wrestlemania 12- this match is 1 of the greatest matches of all time but people call this overrated i dont think so.

2.Chris Benoit vs Dean Malenko Hog Wild- along with my 1st pick this match is in my top 10 greatest of all time what a wrestling match, 2 bad those redneck bikers cant appreciate good wrestling since those dumbasses were booing this match.

3.Rey Mysterio vs Dean Malenko Halloween Havoc- this match is 1 of the greatest cruiserweight matches of all time due to Dean's awesome wrestling and Rey's high flying, P.S. Rey 1995-2005 > Rey 2006-2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back