Your Ideal Supergroup?

mrbrownstone

Fucking Hostile
So lets pretend for a second that you are in full control of the current music tournament, every result goes the way you want it too and you select the eventual supergroup that comes from it. If that were the case what who would your ideal supergroup include. No limitations on this, your group can have as many members or as many different instruments as you would like and they can be alive or dead.

Mine would look something like this.

Vocals - Ronnie James Dio (Black Sabbath, Dio) This man just has an amazing voice, he can sing nearly anything and he was just as good near he death as he was when he was 30. He is also a great frontman, if I'm gonna have a great supergroup then they have to put on a great live show, Ronnie can deliver than and sing his ass off as well.

Guitar - Slash (Guns N' Roses) Of course my favourite musician ever is going to make my ideal supergroup. Some say he is overrated, I would disagree saying he is correctly rated. He has earned his spot, he is responsible for some of the greatest riffs and solos of all time, he is also as versatile as they come being able to play anything from Thrash Metal to Spanish Flamenco guitar. Finally his style would mesh well with my other choice...

Guitar - Joe Perry (Aersomith) I love Aerosmith and a lot of that is to do with Joe Perry, great riffs in Walk This Way, Same Old Song and Dance. As I said earlier he would mesh very well with Slash, they both have very similar kind of sleazy guitar playing styles.

Bass - Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) I was tossing up between him and Cliff Burton but in the end I chose Harris. He is a really good bass player, he drives songs like The Trooper, Run To The Hills etc. He is also a great songwriter who has written or co-written a vast majority of Maidens songs which is a great quality to have.

Drums - Lars Ulrich (Metallica) He is just a fucking amazing drummer. he can play fast as hell (Master Of Puppets, Dyers Eve) then go play a ballad (Fade To Black, Nothing Else Matters). I love his fills as well, listen to songs like For Whom The Bell Tolls and Harvester of Sorrow, his fills in those songs are amazing. Also like Harris he is a good songwriter/band leader, I'm not sure if two personalities that are so similar would work well together or not but I don't really give a shit.

no limits? interesting....

Wes Borland - lead guitar this guy has come up with some of the greatest riff's & has a definate unique sound. plus the stage persona is out of the universe.

Claudio Sanchez -backup guitar\vocals his work on the coheed&cambria albums have been spectacular. his style would work great with borland.

Cliff Burton - bass one of the best ever. period. hell even as a zombie he would kick ass!

Dave Grohl - drums dave has done it all, but his skills as a drummer are fantastic. he can play so many styles & adapt nicely to this group.

Maynard James Keenan - vocals simply amazing. he can get loud, or keep it low & eerie. perfect vocalist for a band like this.

Oh Hell YES. Great thread topic. My ideal super group would consist of

Vocals - Phil Labonte From All That Remains. Out of all the metalcore bands I listen to, I love Phil's mix of clean vocals and screaming the most. He has the best of both world thing going on for him.

Lead Guitar - Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold. this guy along with Zacky is an amazing guitar player. Every one of his solos freaking own. Its crazy how he keeps mixing it up all the time.

Rhythm Guitar - Adam Dutkiewicz From Killswitch Engage. Adam produced I think two of All That Remains' albums Overcome and For We Are Many. Plus another great guitar player him and Synyster would tear it up. Good to have him in there for Creative ideas as well.

Bass Guitar - Emma Anzai From Sick Puppies. I know your like what? But shes incredibly hot and have seen sick puppies live twice. Shes a massive head banger and just screams metal band. Extremely underrated Bassist.

Drums - Mike Portnoy From Dream Theater (currently touring with Avenged Sevenfold). Guy is my favorite drummer in the world and have also seen him live. He really tears it up especially in the 10 minute drum solo he had at the concert. Pretty amazing to keep a drum solo awesome for 10 minutes straight.

Vocals - Matt Bellamy OR Myles Kennedy - Both these guys have got AMAZING vocal ranges, as well as brilliant voices

Lead Guitar -Steve Vai - Basically, he's great, can play any style.

Rhythm Guitar - James Hetfield - With his Lightning speed downpicks, you'd want him as the Guitarist for any band.

Bassist - Flea - He's a great Bassist, wonderful playing technique, just an all-round amazing player.

Drummer - Joey Jordison - One of the best drummers ever to grace this fine Earth, his super-fast feet just make the beat to any song.

Myles Kennedy - Vocals (This guy has it all, literally. A great range, awesome techniques and he can sing ballads but than he can get down and grungy when singing more harder songs with his more distinctive funk/rock voice)

Slash - Lead Guitar (Him and Myles were awesome together, Slash is an Idol as well as Myles. Slash is one of the best guitarists of all time, he has an amazing bluesy rock style but can also play a distortion driven punk/hard rock guitar.)

Duff Mckagan - Rhythm Guitar (Some would ask "Isn't he a bassist". Well yes but he is also one kickass guitarist with his other band Loaded. He's a very underestimated guitarist, but a legend on bass. I'm going to have him take that Rhythm spot just so I can fit in the next man on my list)

Flea - Bass (I'm a bass player and this man has got it all. We share the same inspirations in terms of musicians and this guy can get really funky & technical if needed. I have no doubts he can play some faster more metal like stuff as well.)

Dave Grohl - Drums (It's Dave Grohl... nuff said)

Adding a little something here as in which genre I think they would be.
Genre: Hard Rock / Alternative

This is such a cool idea.

I guess I'd pick people who would gel together well then (in my opinion)

Vocals- Layne Staley OR Chris Cornell- To me these guys had some of the greatest vocal ranges going, yes they were predominetly heavy but they both could do mellow songs (Staley's unplugged peformance and Cornell on Temple Of The Dog)

Guitar- Slash- He to can play varied styles, just listen to his solo stuff that's varied in itself plus Guns N Roses Lies was very acoustic and you can see why he's one of the best guitarists going.

Guitar-Jerry Cantrell
-Like Slash Jerry Cantrell can play varied styles in a simplistic way (Man In The Box is only 5 chords)

Bass- Flea- While he's more known for the funk of RHCP, Flea played in a punk band growing up and filled in for Eric Avery when Jane's Addiction reunited in 1997, top that off with the RHCP having varied styles themselves and I think he more than qualifies.

Drums- Dave Grohl- The guy was considered to fill in for John Bonham when Led Zepplin reunited in 2007!! top that with he's varied in his own right he could drum along to anything.

Ok depending on the group is hard for a lead singer....and supergroups usually suck...but here we go.

I was going for a multi talented group. Everyone in my group is known for being versatile.

Vocal, Guitar, Eveything else he does- Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes, Monsters of Folk
He can do everything. Oberst at the age of 30 is already a legend, recording since he was 15 the man has done it all. He can play a wide variety of music and his voice is very applicable.

Vocal, Violin, and everything else he does- Andrew Bird
Took me a while to figure this one out, but Andrew Birds vocal are haunting, and since I picked the rest of the band before him I felt he would fit the best with the rest of the musicians. The best thing about Andrew Bird is that he can do EVERYTHING. The man plays violin and sings perfectly. If you have never listen to Andrew Bird do yourself a favor.

Lead Guitar/Mastermind/Everything- Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead)
One of the best living musicians, from Radiohead to the numourous scores for films("There Will be Blood")

Bass/ Backing Vocals- Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
Kim Gordon is a fantastic bas player and it is usually overlooked(just look at the 100% Bassline) Not only that her vocals are always very "in your face" and oddly sexy.

Drummer- Matt Tong (Bloc Party)
Extreamly talented drummer of the "Modern Era" rarely am I really impressed by a drummer for a band but he has constantly impressed me especially on the track "Hunting for Witches"

Keyboards, Analog, Controllers, INTANGIBLES- Daft Punk
People of lesser intellegence just see Daft Punk as a bunch of "bleeps and bloops" I tell those people to listen to the Tron Legacy soundtrack... Mind blowing. Two of the true pioneers of electronic music, not only would they add so much to a live performance but in the studio it would be fantastic.

Great thread brownstone!

Vocals: Myles Kenndey or Bruce Dickinson: these two are my all time favorite vocalists. I'm unable to pick just one. They are amazingly gifted, they both have a great vocal range specially with high notes. Oh, and I like them both as frontmen.

Lead guitarists: Adrian Smith: I'm not sure why, but I always liked Smith more than Gers and Murray. I mean, AS isn't exactly a virtuoso, yet he doesn't fall on mediocrity. My scond pick would be Syn Gates. I know the guy isn't a legend (yet) but I've liked his style since the first day I listen to a A7X. "Seize the day", "scream", "dear god", "beat and the harlot", "gunslinger" are beatiful examples of Syn's versatility.

Rhythm guitar: Dave Mustaine. Calm down, I know that Mustaine is a great guitarist and has great solos ("holy wars" comes to mind) however I think that he is a better rhtyhm guitar player. At least for me is always harder to learn a Megadeth riff rather than a Mustaine solo. He has the spider-chord, riffs like "wake up dead" are my examples.

Bass: Lemmy I don't think he is the better bassist in the world, but I love his style. People recognize him as the voice of Motörhead and people forget his ability as a bassist. Heavy and loud is perfect for bass and Leammy plays it exactly that way.

Drummers: Can't decide here either, my picks are Mike Portnoy. MP is my favorite drummer, he is a beast, an octopus. I don't think anyone comes close to his style. Maybe to his level but not to his style.
My other pick for drummer AND backing vocals would be Dave Grohl. He is my all time favorite artist. Nirvana, Foo fighters, Probot, Them crooked vultures, where ever he puts efforts it becomes gold. DG is an amazing musician, but he is a better drummer. His voice is like a growl or something and I liked it alot. He isn't the best vocalist but his style is cool for hard rock,blues rock.

rhythm guitars / vocals - max cavalera
bass / vocals - tom araya
lead guitar - alex scholnick
drums - john dolmayan

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo