Your first pet

LilacFray

Unregistered User
PETS. I love animals. And so do you. You should. :p Even though I'm scared of them almost all the time. Well maybe except for when it comes to puppies, kittens and cats. But birds! They scare the crap out of me... Their eyes, they reflect zero emotion. My first pet was a kitten who was brought home when I was 3 years old. :3 I don't remember the breed, but she grew up to look exactly like this -

DVyrw.jpg

If it weren't for my grandma, we'd have never bought her. My mum was actually looking for a male kitten and she went to get the kitten with my Grandma. They mistook the female cat for a male and brought her home. Mum had been quite hesitant but it seems Grandma had confirmed it was a male. :lmao:

Anyway, we named her Lisa. She was the dearest and was around until I was 14. I miss her. :( She also gave birth to Litters of Kittens twice and it's a shame we couldn't keep them for long. The first litter was given to our relatives and the second stayed at our place for about a month or two. My sister and I even named the three (She was so evil that she picked out the lovely looking two and left the not so attractive one for me - at least that's how I felt then). One was fully black except for it's white chest, the other was Orange and white in colour. Mine looked like Lisa. :3 So anyway, my parents told us that they gave them away to some distant relatives, but I saw a cat that looked exactly like Lisa, hanging around our house last year. Turns out my parents never gave them away. They had given them to the temple just a few houses away from us. SO CLOSE.

What (Feels wrong - should I be saying 'Who'?) was your pet?

Any story behind it? Oh come on, there always is.

How old were you when it was brought home?

Is he/she still around?

There hasn't been a part of life where I didn't have pets in my house. My first pest was a dog named Maple who was a gearmen Shepard and a cat named Kitty. Those two were already pretty old when I was born so I never got too close to the both of them. The first pets that I actually bonded with was my cat named Jasmine I got her when I was 6 some assholes threw her out of a speeding car and she landed in our yard. Due to be being thrown out of a car her spine was crooked and she never got that big so she always had a kitten look to her which made her even cuter she would sleep on my pillow every night and was like a best friend. She was different than most cats always wanted to be around people whenever I had friends over she would hang out with all of us. Sadly in July she got real bad where her body started shutting down for the last week of her life she was eating baby food because she couldn't eat any solid food and was getting water threw a eyedropper. I knew that I couldn't let her suffer. It was more painful to see her starting to suffer then actually putting her down, She was 15 and lived a great life I ended up getting her paw print tattooed on my shoulder so she will always be with me.

Pets have been in my family for generations... When I was younger, my grandmother had a dog named Little Bit, never knew what breed she was but she looked like a mix of poodle and shiatsu. As far as MY first pet goes, it would have to be my first cat Sylvester.

For starters, my kitten wasn't white & black and that's not why I named him Sylvester. I was actually watching Rocky with my dad when he said Rocky was played by Sylvester Stalone. I thought the name was cool at the time, and if there was anyone who deserved such a cool name, it had to be my kitten.

Unfortunately, cats have this tendency to explore and whatnot, so when my dumbass of an older brother left the door open Sylvester ran off and got lost. To this day, I miss that cat almost as much as I miss my grandmother.

My next pet was a Pomeranian-Yorkie mix named Brandon. On the outside, he looked a lot like Joltion from Pokemon, but he was the coolest dog ever. Sure, he'd get out the yard and go run off, but he always stayed within the safe proximity of our house. He was the coolest pet anyone could ask for. The only bad thing about him was that he had this weird taste for snakes and would literally drag dead Snake bodies into our house sometimes... tough dog he was. Of course, when my sister moved out I let her take Brandon with her so that she would still be able to see him. Plus, Brandon looks way better than the dogs most Celebs in Hollywood carry around.

Now, I've got a cockerspaniel and his name's Jake. He's a lazy fuck, but he's a cool lazy fuck too lol.

My first pet was a Tabby cat caalled Misty! I got her the day after i was born and every day she stayed beside my cot and protected me, unfortunatley she was knocked down when i was 3 so she wasnt very old! My next pet was a Border Terrier Dog called Bailey, I got him in 2006 when i was 7 and i still have him to this very day. My stepdad bought hm to keep my mum company because he was moving away for a job. Last year he was hit by a car but he got staright up and ran back to the house. Hes not very active these days as his body is getting more fragile. Then came the Stick Insects! Ugggghhhhh worst pets ever. I couldnt stand them and i dont even knnow why i bought them and luckily they died soon after i got them! My current pets are 2 Russian Dwarf Hamsters called Zig and Zag and i got them in January of this year!

Well when I was young we had 3 different dogs but I really never connected with them. They were outside dogs and we lived out in the country so they were always running off playing in the woods about a mile from home and they'd only come home at night to eat and sleep. When I moved out of my parents house I got a cat. We got it from my wife's cousin who had named it Junior because it looked exactly like it's dad. I took to calling it Jr ( not actually Junior, but just the pronunciation of a "J" and an "R" together). It was such a cool cat but alas a door got left open and it ran off.

Then we got a cat from a friend who had found it by his house. She was a little runt even though she was full grown so I suppose her mom left her behind. She is annoying as f*ck (which is why we named her Yoko after Yoko Ono) but my wife was sad when we lost Jr. and Yoko looked like him so we kept her. Like I said, she's annoying but I don't have the heart to take her to the pound or just ditch her and she can be cool from time to time. She's so needy which is just unusual for a cat.

After we got a cat I really wanted a dog. I started looking on Craigslist and found a little puppy 1/2 Australian Shepherd and 1/2 German Shepherd. They had a picture of him and he was such a cute little ball of fur. When we went to look at him..........Surprise!!!!! He was already a year old, hardly the bucket of fur I'd seen in the picture. He looked mean and was weather worn from being outside. He had really shitty living conditions since his owners didn't take very good care of him. I felt so bad for him we brought him home and he is the coolest dog now. We named him Merlin (wife's a big King Aurthur fan) and he has so many quirks I don't think I could ever find him boring. Quick learner too which is no surprise since German and Australian Shepherds are both smart dogs. I'll be really sad when he goes but not to worry, that's a good 10 years (at least) away.

Always been dogs

One in particular comes to mind. We were looking after the neighbours dog while they were away and they weren't treating her well, leaving her out in the cold, she had an ear infection for her whole life because of it.
Anyway while they were away we looked after her, fed her, brought her into our home until they got back. Apparently she liked it because 4 times after they returned she jumped a 6 foot fence, opened the gate and scratched at our front door. Obviously when we opened the door she walked in, sat by the fire and wouldn't move. When the guy came to collect her the 4th time and she wouldn't go he hit her and my mums guy stepped in and said she was staying with us

I think she would have been just under 2 when she decided that she was living with us.

Is he/she still around?

Unfortunately not, she died a couple of years ago aged 17

Always been dogs

Always. There's nothing like a dog; they give unconditional love. It doesn't matter who you are or what you've done...... if you love them, they love you back and nothing can change it.

My dog was Calvin. I was born in '79 and he in '81, so we grew up together. Among all the wonderful times we had, the thing that sticks out most in my mind was the way he handled himself when either me or my younger brother were getting sick. Understand, we didn't know an illness was coming.... but Cal did....and he'd be up on our beds lying there with us, lending his presence, in what we guessed was his effort to make us feel better. And it always did.

I suppose you have to be a dog lover to truly understand.

But birds! They scare the crap out of me... Their eyes, they reflect zero emotion.

I freaking loathe birds! When I was little, my dad would tell me stories of Road Runners that would fly through our window and attack us. Of course I believed him and would have dreams of that a big headed Road Runner would strap me down on a bed and peck me, though it tickled instead of hurt. In fact I once blamed Big Bird for for it and had a nightmare where he destroyed an entire city with his enormous beak with cold eyes. In the process squashing innocent lives with that pointy beak that drilled through thousands of guts at a time. Anyway moving on...

It was a Goldfish who'm we named Dorothy. I was a 3 year old that was obsessed with Elmo and his pet fish. We got her at a cheap place in Queens New York not far from where we lived and she was glorious. Albeit small and passive she captured my sibling's and my own imagination of what the ideal Goldfish should be like.

Well we my brother and I being a couple of toddlers brought it home and went ballistic with it. We made it watch sesame street and watched our parents feed it sometimes. Of course seeing as Goldfish have a brief lifespan she died within 2 months. We were content with her death though because we got over her quickly. She was found upside down in her tank, the crime scene was later declared homicide perpetrated by water by my parents. It wasn't another 13 years before we got another pet, and managed to kill them within the span of a month.

As you can see I am not a very good pet owner:blush:.

My first pet that I grew up with and helped raise was a black and tan Hovawart (rare german guard dog breed few people have heard of) named Brunello. Here is a picture of what they look like, for the folks who have not seen one of these dogs before. He was a black and tan, like the dog in this picture. They also come in blonde or black.

Hovawart_black_and_tan.jpg

My parents are wine tasters, so he was named after Brunello di Montalcino which is a type of red wine. He was such an awesome dog. We were very close and always playing. Whether it be fetch, tug of war, going on walks, or silly things like sneaking pizza crust under my bedroom door for him as he'd lay patiently in the hallway waiting, we were always having a great time. I was only 6 when we got him, and he lived to be 11 when I was in my senior year of high school.

We had two other dogs of the same breed, a blonde female named Dixie and another black and tan male named Bear. I grew rather close to each of them, but I was closest to Brunello because we had him much longer than the other two. Sadly, he is not around anymore. He passed away in 2003. Shortly after all 3 of our dogs had died we got another Hovawart female named Flurry and also adopted a rottweiler/chow mix who we named Barollo. My parents still have them both at their house. Now I have two Papillon puppy brothers (Lancelot and Sheamus) who just turned 1 last week.

This is a great topic. That first pet you have is often a very special story of a human and their animal companion who in most cases grew up together, resulting in a bond of friendship which is completely irreplaceable. This is why so many people look back fondly on their first pet(s) with feelings of nostalgia.

I remember having pets always in my house. My parents had a black labrador before I was born and she was still alive until I was 7-8 years old. She tolerated the bundles of joy that were me and my older sister. She got old and passed. I miss that dog because she was the first... The second one I had was a chocolate lab that passed a bout 4 years ago. She was the one I really grew up with. When she passed, my childhood left with her. It was weird. I had a bond with that dog. She was a part of our family much like the other one was. We have a German shepherd/lab mix now. She's like my dad's 3rd kid. Its funny as can be. I won't forget my dogs ever because they were parts of my life.

Realized I had pictures of both pets on my phone.

My dog, Merlin. With his ever trusty companion, Red Kong Ball.
IMG_0234.jpg

And my cat, Yoko. Maybe the most annoying cat on the planet.
IMG_0209.jpg

Edit: Wow, those are both way bigger than I thought they wold be. Sorry.

My family has owned three dogs but the first one I've actively raised myself is a chihuahua named Phoebe.

phoebe.jpg

She moved in with me when I was about 13 or so. She's currently about 10 and while she's not the wild child she once was, she still has bursts of energy every now and then and still barks a lot. Unfortunately, she doesn't get along with most of my neighbor's dogs because she barks at them even when they're not doing anything to provoke her. I remember when I first met her, she was a ton of fun to play with. She still is but she had unlimited energy when I first met her. She also scared the crap out of my younger sister and made her cry multiple times even when she wasn't doing anything to her. She belonged to my uncle to moved in with me during my teenage years and still lives with me today. I go on runs with her because she's been putting on some weight but she's quite healthy overall and I hope to have as many more years as possible with her.

A kitten. Cute as a button. Looked sorta like this:

outdoor-tuxedo-kitten-300.jpg

She was my first and only pet. I went against the norm by giving her the Finnish male name Hermanni, the middle name of the lead singer of HIM.

I found her on my way to school one stormy morning hiding under a car. I turned back home and skipped school just to tend to her. At the time I skipped school a lot and had to make up for lost credits the next couple of years, but I don't regret skipping school that day. =)

I was fifteen.

Is he/she still around?

Sadly, no. After two weeks my mother said I couldn't keep her, so when my father came to visit that night I considered taking her to my grandparent's house across town. I found out a neighbor's stupid dog mauled a neighborhood cat and I was afraid to leave Hermanni around a cold-blooded murderous bitch (I despise dogs), so I decided to keep her and hopefully convince my mother to change her mind. On the way home I stopped by a drugstore to buy a few things and walking back to my father's car I caught a glance of a kitten that looked exactly like Hermanni run off into the darkness. I noticed my father get back in the car and I thought, "what the fuck did you do you stupid son of a bitch?!" It turned out she took a crap in his car, so he released her to the streets, never to be seen again. I couldn't hold back tears on the drive home as I sat in silence hoping she'd find a new home. I live near the drugstore now and I think about her every time I drive by. ;_;

my 1st pet was a dog we named taz I loved that dog we could play fetch all day i even taught him to to play tag i grew up with that dog i was born 89 him in 92 i was having surgery because apparently i had fluid in my ears they had to drain and he was a welcome home present however around 2000 we had a break in at our house and he bit the person who broke in and they sued my dad and the judge told him that the dog was dangerous and had to be put down ever since then i have never trusted the justice system and never will hell ive even gone as far as to call a judge i met once at a mcdonalds a pig i told him our judical system does not work and it will never work in my eyes just because of that incident i lost faith in our government all together

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back