Your favourite Mid-card title match or none title match at the Royal Rumble?

quink987

Pre-Show Stalwart
ok over the years the Royal Rumble has had some really important WWE title matches which have stolen the show but the IC title and Tag titles have been just as important on the card as the WWE title and the Royal Rumble has given us loads of none title matches too such as Ric Flair vs Vince McMahon Street fight, Tag team Tables match Royal Rumble 2000 but since 1988 what is your favourite IC title or US title or Tag title match.

for me its torn between 2 Shawn Michaels vs Marty Jannetty 1993, this match for me was long awaited and the build up was amazing I grew up loving the Rockers so to see them fight was a dream match for me

and my other one is The Hardys vs The Dudleys Tables match it was the first tables match on WWE Tv and these 4 young guys rocked the house

This is a hands down for me. Jericho vs Benoit for the Intercontinental Championship at the 2001 Royal Rumble. It was a great match between two of the best wrestlers at the time, and was one of the two things that makes the 2001 event one of my favourites,the other being Kane's performance in the main event.

As a big fan of technical wrestling I also have to say Benoit vs. Jericho. It was a time where these guys were both at the apex of their careers and the IC title still meant something. To see these guys going at it for that belt made for something special.

The Rock vs Ken Shamrock at the 1998 Royal Rumble was a great encounter. It was just a solid bit of storytelling and was the first major stop in a great rivalry that spanned most of that year, enthralling me.

My personal favorite would have to be Edge vs Shawn Michaels from 2005. This match I believe put Edge over before he would win MITB. This rivalry was quite entertaining and with Edge playing heel you know it was going to be good.

You stole my thunder a lil bit Bryan. I agree that the Edge vs. Shawn Michaels match in 2005 was great. I loved the feud because it was the beginning of Edge's rise to the Main Event. Beating Shawn at one of the marquee events of the year was huge for his elevation. The match gets overlooked often but it told a great story and it got me pumped up for the rest of the event even though I am a huge HBK fan.

A lot of great answers so far. Jericho and Benoit would have to be my favorite. All round great Ladder match for the IC Title. My runner up pick would probably be Razor Ramon vs. I.R.S. for the IC Title at the 1994 Rumble. I liked the mini feud, they had a great match, and for a second there it seemed like I.R.S. had won the title. But it was over ruled and Ramon gave I.R.S. the Razor's Edge while I.R.S. was standing on the second rope celebrating. An excellent finish which then lead Razor to an epic ladder match with HBK at Mania 10.

All the answers are great so far, but I have a few to add.

1994 - Tag Team Titles: The Quebecers (c) vs. Bret & Owen

This is when Owen finally lost it and turned on Bret for not tagging him in. Owen got over great as a heel and went on to win one of my favorite matches of all-time against Bret in the opener at WrestleMania X.

1996 - Intercontinental Title: Razor Ramon (c) vs. Goldust

Scott Hall was my favorite wrestler at the time (of all-time for that matter) and I remember being so pissed when Sean Waltman interfered and cost him the title.

2005 - Edge vs. Shawn Michaels

What more can be said about these 2? Did they ever put on a bad match? If they did, I never saw it.

Does it have to be a title match?

Because the Rockers/Orient Express tag match at the '91 Rumble is one of my all time favorite matches.

Another excellent match that never gets it's just due is Michaels/Edge from Royal Rumble '05.

2 of the best opening matches in WWF(E) PPV history.

Two favorites. The first being one of my all time favorite matches. Yes, it's the Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz in the first tag team table match. The Hardy Boyz were my favorite tag team of that time, the high flying and fast paced offense. The Dudleyz being the heels that they were and the slower more powerful style helped make them click together. The match itself is incredibly mind-boggling that the teams were able to make it look incredible and "safe" (I think) at the same time.

The first table situation with the Event Omega from the ladder and turnbuckle I thought was amazing the first time I saw it, and still gets me excited when I watch it. Got scared when the D-Von escaped both attempts at putting him through the table, and then Bubba putting Matt through the elevated. But the obvious high-point of the match was the balcony spot. Bubba get chaired through three tables, and then the S(wa)enton Bomb on D-Von to end it. Oh yeah, that's the stuff. I'll post the second one at a later time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back