Your Favorite Johnny Cash Song?

The Dragon Saga

Whale in a Teardrop
Very few artists can withstand the test of time, very few artists can withstand the test of time and even break off into something which is so much more than it actually was. Johnny Cash was the simple country music artist that ended up becoming a huge influence to a number of rock 'n' roll artists throughout the world. Sometimes referred to as "The Man in Black", Cash's career in music spanned nearly fifty years, releasing his first record in 1954 and his final in 2003, months before he passed away. Some say he is the greatest musician of all-time, receiving praise from artists of all different genres, his music has transcended into everything. From films to television sitcoms, sports events and even professional wrestling.

I personally don't think I have ever met someone who doesn't like at least one Johnny Cash track. If somebody enters this thread and reads this, please announce that you don't cause there is a first time for everything. But, I want to know what is your favorite Johnny Cash song and why?

[YOUTUBE]IStlBOX9F4o[/YOUTUBE]

Second track on American V: A Hundred Highways, "God's Gonna Cut You Down" has been recorded by hundreds of artists, but it never got as much press as it did when it was recorded by Johnny Cash. I believe it is featured in the video game Battlefield, its featured on over 60 television shows, certain independent wrestlers use it as their entrance theme and the video featured over forty celebrities from different backgrounds miming the words of the song. Great lyrics and a great story in the song, first few times I heard it, it sent a chill down my spine. One of the best covers from Cash and one of my favorite songs of his.

Second track on American V: A Hundred Highways, "God's Gonna Cut You Down" has been recorded by hundreds of artists, but it never got as much press as it did when it was recorded by Johnny Cash. I believe it is featured in the video game Battlefield, its featured on over 60 television shows, certain independent wrestlers use it as their entrance theme and the video featured over forty celebrities from different backgrounds miming the words of the song. Great lyrics and a great story in the song, first few times I heard it, it sent a chill down my spine. One of the best covers from Cash and one of my favorite songs of his.

Also used in the trailer for True Grit.

Difficult question for me to be honest. I love his American recordings more than anything he's done in his career, probably owing to me actually being alive when it was released, but the songs are just so raw, pure and honest. They're swansongs of a man who I think knew his life was ending soon. That kind of emotion you can't force with studio production or any other tricks.

It would have to be one of the covers for my favourite, I think. A 3 way tie between 'One' (U2), 'Rusty Cage' (Soundgarden), and 'Personal Jesus' (Depeche Mode). In all three Cash and Rubin have taken these massive, anthemic songs, and stripped them down to their bare bones, yet have managed to retain what made them so good in the first place.

Going back in time a bit further to 1969, and Cash's performance at San Quentin prison, you will see just how he owned any audience put in front of him.

[YOUTUBE]1zgja26eNeY[/YOUTUBE]

without a doubt my favorite johnny cash song would be ring of fire to me that song is really good im not really a johnny cash fan but i enjoy listning to ring of fire from time to time

My favotite johnny cash song would have to be hurt. It was just one of those songs everytime i hear it,it gives me chills down my back. Also the video the way his wife was standing behind him just watchin him you coukd see the love in her eyes fir him. Plus i think it was the last video he made before he passed away. The man in black will always live forever

[YOUTUBE]o22eIJDtKho[/YOUTUBE]

Being the grungy, angsty teenager that I am, I love "Hurt". It's impossible for me to listen to that song without getting chills. Cash is an actor in that song as much as he is a musician and the end result is something truly special. I don't know that there's any other piece of music out there in which you can legitimately feel Cash's pain through the song to the degree that you can in "Hurt". Obviously credit for the lyrics and part of the arrangement go to NIN, but Cash owned this song entirely with his performance. The video is also really good if a little over the top at times. The old black and white footage and pictures of June though take the song to another level. I think Cash just knocked it out of the park on this one and transmitted all of his very real hurt, pain, angst, woe, and various other unpleasant emotions accumulated over a long life full of troubles and distilled them into one piece of music that is really a classic.

I also like a lot of comedic pieces, in total contrast to the above. "Boy Named Sue" is hilarious, and I'm not sure of the title, but I'm going to go with "Three Feet High and Rising" (the one about the flood). Really simple but enjoyable pieces that are great fun.

without a doubt my favorite johnny cash song would be ring of fire to me that song is really good im not really a johnny cash fan but i enjoy listning to ring of fire from time to time

Of all the Johnny Cash songs you pick one that wasn't even his and the most obvious "crowd favorite".

I hate this song. Its overplayed and commercialized and as stated, its not even his.

Orange Blossom Special, One Piece at a Time, John Henrys Hammer, and Get Rhythmn are some of my personal favs. Orange Blossom Special just feels and sounds like a train coming down on you. He actually has alot of songs about trains/hobos etc etc that are very well done.

Of all the Johnny Cash songs you pick one that wasn't even his and the most obvious "crowd favorite".

I hate this song. Its overplayed and commercialized and as stated, its not even his.

Really? Really? "Ring of Fire" isn't Johnny Cash's song? How thick do you have to be? In what way is it not his song? Because it was written by his wife and Merle Kilgore? Because it was originally recorded by his sister in law? The idea that a song isn't completely defined by a particular artists because they didn't write or originally record it is nonsense. The single biggest hit of Johnny Cash's career and the song that arguably 99% of people think he recorded originally - probably because no one has even heard of Anita Carter - isn't his is just preposterous.

I mean, come on, man. Who defines "Respect" - Otis Redding or Anita Franklin? Who defines "Crossroads" - Robert Johnson or Eric Clapton? Who defines "Black Magic Woman" - Fleetwood Mac or Carlos Santana? Anita Carter is so far from defining and owning "Ring of Fire" that's it's almost not funny. It's Johnny Cash's song.

My favorite Johnny Cash has to be, "One piece at a time." I loved the story of the song. Like how he had to steal parts from G.M for 20 years or how long it had take him to get the parts. My favorite part is at the end, when he said, it took the whole staff to write the title of the car.

I have other favorites, "Cocaine Blues," and "Chicken In Black."

It's hard to pick when you're dealing with such a great, prolific artist like Johnny Cash, but I'm gonna go with "Wanted Man." Great beat, great lyrics, great overall.

[youtube]K33HMV8vkic[/youtube]

Really? Really? "Ring of Fire" isn't Johnny Cash's song? How thick do you have to be? In what way is it not his song? Because it was written by his wife and Merle Kilgore? Because it was originally recorded by his sister in law? The idea that a song isn't completely defined by a particular artists because they didn't write or originally record it is nonsense. The single biggest hit of Johnny Cash's career and the song that arguably 99% of people think he recorded originally - probably because no one has even heard of Anita Carter - isn't his is just preposterous.

I mean, come on, man. Who defines "Respect" - Otis Redding or Anita Franklin? Who defines "Crossroads" - Robert Johnson or Eric Clapton? Who defines "Black Magic Woman" - Fleetwood Mac or Carlos Santana? Anita Carter is so far from defining and owning "Ring of Fire" that's it's almost not funny. It's Johnny Cash's song.

Harthan hit the nail on the head.

You know Whitney Houston's greatest hit, "I will always love you"? Yeah, that's actually a Dolly Parton song originally. But, it's still undeniably a Whitney Houston song, none the less. Ring of Fire is a Johnny Cash song, and it's ridiculous to argue otherwise.

However, if I had to pick one Johnny Cash song above all others, I would go with Folsom Prison Blues. I just like it. It's got a good beat, love the way he sings it defiantly like he is a prisoner himself, and you gotta have a set of brass balls to play this song while giving a concert in prison in the first place.

I would not call myself a Johnny Cash fan, his music doesn't really appeal to my tastes at all, but I can appreciate the man and his contribution to music, and his influence on many artists.

I have seen the film based on his life, and thought it was brilliant and I obviously know quite a few of his big hits, some of which I do like- however, "Ring Of Fire" I do not care for.

If I had to pick one, it would be "The Man Comes Around", I do like that track alot. It's a regular on the ipod, I think Cash's vocal style works really well and makes it a very enjoyable listen. If anyone can recommend some more Cash tunes to me to try out, I would be grateful. I wouldn't mind giving the old fella another chance to impress the Naitch.

I'm a massive Cash fan, I'm also a massive wrestling fan. As such my favorite Man in Black song is 'Hurt'. When they used it to pay trubute to Eddie Guerrero it was literally heartbreaking. RIP Johnny and RIP Eddie, two different worlds but forever intertwined in my memory.

[YOUTUBE]66QcIlblI1U[/YOUTUBE]

There Ain't No Grave will always be my favorite, primarily due to when it was used by The Undertaker last year, as it was a perfect fit for him. I liked the song before WWE used it, but it becoming Undertaker's temporary entrance theme made me like it even more. There truly is no grave that can hold him down. The same can be said for Cash himself. He left behind many great songs when he passed on and no grave can hold down his music either. It will live on forever. I also really like Ring of Fire.

If I had to pick one, it would be "The Man Comes Around", I do like that track alot. It's a regular on the ipod, I think Cash's vocal style works really well and makes it a very enjoyable listen. If anyone can recommend some more Cash tunes to me to try out, I would be grateful. I wouldn't mind giving the old fella another chance to impress the Naitch.

Anything from that album of the same name. It has quite of few covers of rock and folk songs in the same stripped-down, laid back style, most famous being 'Hurt'.

You'd probably like most of the stuff from his American Recordings era with Rick Rubin, which were the last albums he did before he died.

Alot of great choices here. I'm a huge Johnny Cash fan, as his style and themes are consistent with those of of earthly remorse and supernatural repentance. Regardless of the path he took, Cash always seemed to be wanting to do good and be a better person. Both his music and life alike were symbolic in so many ways of the cyclical conflict of weakness, excess, regret, then atonement, and excess again. In essence, Johnny Cash' music symbolized the deep struggles of the human conscience, something that can appeal to people from all walks of life.

Having said that, I'm surprised that no love has been given to the title song off of the epic biographical movie from 2005 about his life.

[YOUTUBE]KHF9itPLUo4[/YOUTUBE]

Cash wrote this song about his wife June, and it's a beautiful love song in it's own right. The idea of guarding one's heart and being cautious about one's actions, not out of guilt or moral responsibility, but simply love, is just a beautiful theme. It doesn't have the gravitas of "Ring of Fire", "God's Gonna Cut You Down" or even "Folsom County Blues", but it does have possibly the best theme of any of his songs. The song describes his struggle of being on the road, away from his wife, and the temptations that arise.

The funny thing about this song is that Cash was so insecure about this song that he didn't want it played on radio. When it was first released in 1956, he begged his manager to stop releasing it to radio stations. His manager refused, telling Cash he wanted to give the song a week or two to see how it did. End result? Another number one hit for the "Man in Black", and my favorite Cash song as well.

I dont have but one favorite because all of his music relates to me in so many ways,"One Piece at Time"because I restore and customise old cars,"Oney"cause I dislike my day job,"Redemption"when I want to get in touch with my spirtitality,The list goes on and on bro!;)

Orange Blossom Special, One Piece at a Time, John Henrys Hammer, and Get Rhythmn are some of my personal favs. Orange Blossom Special just feels and sounds like a train coming down on you. He actually has alot of songs about trains/hobos etc etc that are very well done.

Great choices:icon_cool:

I hate people like you, hipsters that shove music as overplayed and commercialized. Congrats bro, you might know his music. But you don't get the right to shit on people for having a favorite song that is played on the radio. Let them like what they like, and you like what you like.

Personally I'm a metal head, but I've stated on here two or three times. My love for the man in black. He was what my dad played in the car, on our rides. Untill I die, Cash will allways be something I play. I love songs like Ring of fire, and Fc blues. I remember them, and the memorys I share with the man who made me a man.

Overplayed and commercialized, the words you used. Cash earned the right to have his songs played. You say overplayed, I say respect. Respect for the man and his music. People say that some musicians will last the test of time. Cash will be one of them.
[YOUTUBE]T8tGCVavS5s[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]o22eIJDtKho[/YOUTUBE]

Being the grungy, angsty teenager that I am, I love "Hurt". It's impossible for me to listen to that song without getting chills. Cash is an actor in that song as much as he is a musician and the end result is something truly special. I don't know that there's any other piece of music out there in which you can legitimately feel Cash's pain through the song to the degree that you can in "Hurt". Obviously credit for the lyrics and part of the arrangement go to NIN, but Cash owned this song entirely with his performance. The video is also really good if a little over the top at times. The old black and white footage and pictures of June though take the song to another level. I think Cash just knocked it out of the park on this one and transmitted all of his very real hurt, pain, angst, woe, and various other unpleasant emotions accumulated over a long life full of troubles and distilled them into one piece of music that is really a classic

100% this. It may be a cover, but "Hurt" is by far one of his best songs.

"A Boy Named Sue", or "Gods gonna Cut You Down"(JCs Version). Its weird because one was recorded during the heyday of his career, but the other was recorded during the final months of his life. Oh, and "Folsom Prison Blues" is good too.

Huy guys!
my name is susanlee. I like 'Man in Black'. I was not listening more song. Because I was interested to watch TV-shows. My favorite Tvshows are chuck tv show. Watch it I hope you like it.

It's really hard to pick one, as all of them are good, but if I am forced to pick one...
Ain't No Grave.
I fell in love with it the second I first heard it; it inspired me to believe he would never die (it was the last song he wrote prior to his death). WWE's use of the song as Taker's temporary entrance music made me love it even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back