• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

You know what really grinds my gears?

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Making animation sequences for summoning creatures in battle. (I'm making my own RPG for those who don't know).... I have 9 elemental spirits, just finished the summon sequence for the 3rd one around 4am last nite. 6 more to go.

They are 50+ frames a piece that I have to animate so it's been rather aggravating. At least they will look badass when I'm done. Making the animations for all 9 elemental spirits is arguably the biggest challenge I have faced with creating this game.... The only thing that was more difficult was making the animation sequence for "Trillo Slash", the hero's ultimate move. (If you're familiar with Final Fantasy then it is similar to Cloud's Omnislash). That thing took a week to make and it was 200 frames long.

Next time you are playing an RPG and see a cool looking animation sequence during battle.... thank people like me who are going insane trying to animate said sequence....

On a side note, thank you wrestlezone forum posters for providing me with entertaining things to read whenever I need a break from working on my game.

I hate when that happens.

I lie...

I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Peter Griffin said:
You know what really grinds my gears? People from the 19th Century. Why can't they get with the friggin' program? Its called an automobile. Its much faster than a horse.

It really grinds my gears when my hoe's manage to escape from the trunk.

I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

My bad I can clear up the jargon. Basically....

I'm making my own RPG using RPG Maker 2003.... The animations I was talking about are what the graphics are supposed to be doing when an action is selected.

Say you encounter a slime in battle and decide to use the spell "Zap" on the slime. The lightning bolts that show up when "Zap" is used to attack the slime are a simple example of the animation sequences I was talking about.

Now, the frames. "Zap" has 20 frames. Each frame represents one part of the animation. 20 frames is close to one second long when you view the final result. More complicated skills have more frames worth of animation to make. The longest so far is Trillo Slash, at 200 frames. It lasts over ten seconds when you view the end result.

I have to sit and make each individual frame, which are a fraction of a second long a piece. The 9 elementals (whose sequences I'm working on this week) have about 50 frames in their animations. It's taking a few hours to make a 4 to 5 second long sequence that shows the elemental being summoned and then helping you on that turn of battle.

I've been checking the forums every hour or so to see if there's any new posts, if I need a break from working on my game then I check out the new posts that appeal to me.

Making those animations does wear me out though, hence why it "grinds my gears". Did that clear it up some?

What really grinds my gears is when I am trying to figure out how the fuck to start a new thread on here -- but can't seem to find any point-of-reference or instructions on how to do it. :::SIGH:::

I just wrote an extremely long, slightly off-topic post in one of the threads, but I'd prefer to just start a new thread for discussion specifically around that topic. Any suggestions/recommendations/friendly pointers, guys? They'd be appreciated.

Feel free to send me a private message of instructions if posting that kind of info here really grinds your gears.

ADDITION: Is it possible that I'm not permitted to start a thread? I'm still fairly new here.

Oh, and it also grinds my gears that my basic cable plan only has 22 channels and about half are in Spanish. WTF?!

My bad I can clear up the jargon. Basically....

I'm making my own RPG using RPG Maker 2003.... The animations I was talking about are what the graphics are supposed to be doing when an action is selected.

Say you encounter a slime in battle and decide to use the spell "Zap" on the slime. The lightning bolts that show up when "Zap" is used to attack the slime are a simple example of the animation sequences I was talking about.

Now, the frames. "Zap" has 20 frames. Each frame represents one part of the animation. 20 frames is close to one second long when you view the final result. More complicated skills have more frames worth of animation to make. The longest so far is Trillo Slash, at 200 frames. It lasts over ten seconds when you view the end result.

I have to sit and make each individual frame, which are a fraction of a second long a piece. The 9 elementals (whose sequences I'm working on this week) have about 50 frames in their animations. It's taking a few hours to make a 4 to 5 second long sequence that shows the elemental being summoned and then helping you on that turn of battle.

I've been checking the forums every hour or so to see if there's any new posts, if I need a break from working on my game then I check out the new posts that appeal to me.

Making those animations does wear me out though, hence why it "grinds my gears". Did that clear it up some?

so who wants cake?

Hot damn! Gears no longer grinding about how to post a thread. I succeeded! Thanks for listening, Gear-Grinders.

TM you should be judging. What kind of example are you setting? :p

Well I'm off to restock ICU. I may be back in an hour. More likely it will be longer, but who knows.

compiling.png

I'm laying in bed. There is a makes woman beside me. I have better things to do.

*plays Risk on my iPod*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back