• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

You just got a new 8-bit Nintendo...

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
...and you can have any 5 games you want for it.

Which games do you want to have and why? What do you remember about those games?

1. Super Mario Bros. 2 Deviated from the formula of the 1st and 3rd, with some neat game play, the ability to play as any of 4 characters, and some badass bosses like Mouser, FryGuy, and Clawgrip. The sand levels were badass.

2. Legend of Zelda. The original Gold Pack. I remember the first time I beat Gannon - I was (I think) 7 years old and it was among the greatest days of my life. Those blue statues with the shields were a bitch, and those wizards in the graveyard damn near impossible.

3. Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Not the toned-down, rape-free version with Mr. Dream. I am talking old school Tyson's punch out, where Tyson wasn't even the hardest fight. Super Macho Man was, even though he looked like a 70 year old Dee Snyder. Bald Bull was awesome, and it was great to know King Hippo got into something athletic after Metroid.

4. Friday the 13th. I don't care if it was cheesy and the game play sucks. The game scared the beejeesus outta me, and I turned it off before it got good because either a) I died, b) all the kids dies, or c) I was gonna wet myself.

5. Contra. Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, START! 30 lives, Bish!

Super Mario Bros. 3

This game revolutionised the platformer. Before this, the genre was baisically jumping, and occaisonally fire power. This game had loads of new quirks like the frog suit and the ability to fly, which made it truly original.

Double Dragon

There wasn't many good beat em ups on the old NES, but this was an exception. You had to go through story mode and beat people up as you walked along, using weapons such as broken bottles. Pretty hardcore.

Donkey Kong jr.

Just the old school arcade game. Probably the most addictive game ever I think. I used to play on it for hours, and I got really annoyed if someone made me turn it off.

Duck Tales

This was the first computer game that I ever completed, so it has to go on there for sentimental value. I remember literally no details about it.

Duck Hunt

This game was truly something special... You can shoot the ducks without shooting bullets. Amazing. It was just something which didn't really have a parallel on the console and I think it has to be included in a list of the best games on the console.

In no real particular order, I would have to go with

1- Metroid- this was the first game I ever really got addicted to, I don't think I played any game on my old NES more than this one, it was also the first game I ever beat, andis easily one of my favorite games of all time

2- Legend of Zelda, gold pack- for pretty much the same reasons IC listed, another game I spent hours and hours playing, I remember the first time I got to Gannon and then my sister decied to hit the power button, the bitch!!!, lost all my saved work and had to start over, that was probably the only time I ever punched a girl out of anger (she punched back)

3- Duck Hunt- mostly for sentimental reasons, when I first got my NES, this was the game everyone in my family was playing, all four of us sat in front of the TV for hours killing ducks, LOL, this was the only game my whole family ever played together, so it brings back some pretty good memories, I remember the first time I shot a perfect round, I was so excited I woke my parents up to tell them, I even wanted them to take a picture of the TV for proof, LOL

4- Excitebike- simply cause it was just a fucking awesome game, I loved the fact that I could create my own tracks, another game that I spent endless hours playing

5- Super Mario Bros. 3- TBH this was the hardest pick to choose, but I had to go with SM 3 for a few reasons, A.) it's the NES and you can't have an NES without at least on Mario Bros. game, it just seems unnatural, and B.) I remember 3 being hours of endless fun, so it has to go on the list

I could have easily added another 5-10 more games, a few of which would have been Mega Man 1-6, Rush N' Attack, Double Dragon, Contra, TMNT 2, Dr. Mario, and Mario 1-2

Great thread Idea BTW, makes me want to play my old NES, to bad it mysteriously disappeared years ago:icon_cry:

1. Legend of Zelda. It's my all time favorite line of games, and this one started it all. On my emulator, I've recently gotten to play this game for the first tiem all the way through (I was raised on SNES) and I love it. It's challenging, fun and just like it's descendents. There's never a boring moment, the music is great, the puzzles are tehre, and there's never a bad moment in this game.

2. Super Mario Brothers 3. This game is the original Mario on steroids. It strengthened the Mario genre to what it is today. It's fun, challenging, and interesting. Never a dull moment again, just like Zelda. Mario is the symbol of Nintendo, and this game is a large reason why. It premiered in The Wizard and never looked back. The original was fun, but this one takes everything that one had and multiplies it by 100.

3. Super DodgeBall. I know it sounds stupid and generic, but this is a damn fun game. You play in a world cup competiton and go through a bunch of preleminary rounds, before you reach the championship match with the USSR. It's so fun to take that ball, get a running start and just launch it at a guy's head. It's the bare basics of a game, but very fun and addicting.

4. Megaman 1. The orginal that started a line of games that's still fun. Bare basics of weapons, but when you start playing this, you'll keep going until the end. You want so badly to beat these bosses it's insane. Once you do, there's not much that feels better.

5. TMNT 3. The first two were average at best, but this one was the perfect example of what this series was all about. Kill some foot soldiers, fight the villians, save the city from disaster. Nothing but simple basic ideas that play out great in the game.

1. Super Mario: Quite possibly, one of the most important video games in history, this game paved the way for the Mario francise, a series of games that without, we might not know of some of the other games that branched off of it. Plus, It was really fun.

2: Duck Hunt: Also a great game, one of my all time favorites. I actuaqlly own this right now, and I can do real good at it without cheating in any way. My high score is 472 600.

3: Contra: I remember playing this game as a kid, thinking "this game is super amazing" and I only with I could play it one last time.

4: Tetris: I don't feel the need to explain why I would want one of the funnest puzzle games ever.

5: Mad Max: I don't know who remembers this game... You drove around, and just did stuff. Or at least thats what I did anyways. This game was played the same way the origional grand theft auto games were played, sky view the whole time, and all I did was drive... The only thing I hated was that your car needed gas to move, or it was Game Over...

My favorite games are the Mario games, not so much 2, but its not horrible. The teenage mutant ninja turtles games, zelda, Megaman 2 and paperboy.

Here are two games that not as many people know about, but are amazing. The first one is Ice Hockey, which is just an awesome hockey game. And the other game is my favorite game of all time, not for just nintendo but for every system ever made and that game is RBI Baseball. For all of you who have not played it, I recommend playing it and whoever owns a nintendo needs to have this game. It's hard to explain why it's awesome, but it just is, and as soon as you play it you will realize that.

!. Zelda - Although the SNES version is the greatest game of all time, this game set the precedent for quest games. When I was 8 there was no better game.

2. Super Mario 2 - I loved this game, downloaded it for my perfectly legal emulator and still trot it out now and again.

3. Mario 3 - Flight, nuff said.

4. Bases Loaded - No names, no real teams, and you could make a pitch zig and zag like a rally car with a drunk driver.

5. Excite Bike - You're kidding if you didn't list this

I can't believe Super Techmo Bowl didn't make my list. I loved Battletoads too.

Metal Gear: The original Metal Gear. This game was great. Pretty much the first stealth game ever. The gameplay was a little choppy at times, but the amazing story was enough to make it great.

Final Fantasy: The RPG that started the greatest RPG franchise ever. This game was great. All the classic RPG moments. If you don't have this game, you shouldn't even have a Nintendo.

Legend of Zelda: What can I say that hasn't been said. This is a great game. It was original at the time, and like Final Fantasy had a great storyline, and fantastic gameplay. Challenging and fun, this game needs to be in EVERYBODY'S collection.

Super Mario Bros.: All of the Mario games were great back in the day. They set the standard for what Nintendo was all about. The games were just so fun, and so addicting.

Contra: While not as critically acclaimed as the others on my list, this game was tons of fun. My friends and I would spend hours playing it, and it never got old.

In no particular order...

Super Mario Bros.

Seriously, you can't mention NES without the original Super Mario Bros. Still as good as regression therapy now as it was back in the day. I mean, why go out and kill each other when we can stomp on brown mushroom things?

Punch-Out!

Hilarious characters and a control scheme that really tests your reflexes are the strengths of this boxer game. Glass Joe is like a jobber. But man, the Super Nintendo sequel Super Punch-Out! is off the charts.

Deja Vú

One of those atmospheric 1st-person adventure game with creepy music and immersive storyline, for its time. Film noir-ish to the max. I mean, seeing a dead guy rendered in three palette colors is damaging for the brain, yeah?

Maniac Mansion

The first adventure game from LucasFilm Games, later known as LucasArts, utilizes the now infamous SCUMM (Script Utility for Maniac Mansion) game engine that would become a staple of LucasArts adventure games. This zany and somewhat disturbing tale of Dave and two friends of your choosing who tries to rescue his girlfriend from the evil Dr. Fred. The music kicks so much ass, it buries the PC version so far below the earth I think it's right about next to Carlito right now.

Super Mario Bros. 3

Everything that was good about SMB1 and some of the good things from SMB2 added with something completely new made this a smash hit back in the day. Even today, it feels vast and just downright like a "complete" game..

Holy Hell, dude! I totally forgot about both Deja Vu AND Maniac Mansion! Both classics!

I was po'ed that I never beat Deja Vu - I got close but I was always missing a detail. The game play itself was loads of fun.

A few more to add:

Dick Tracy- This was awesome, traveling around and busting the gangsters at various hideout flats, trying to capture and interrogate them to get to Big Boy Caprice. You were not allowed to shoot unarmed foes, and if you did, they chased after you and locked you up.

Duck Tales- Who can forget chasing down millions in treasure through Transylvania, the Himalayas, and even The Moon while using a cane as a pogo stick and trying to defeat Flintheart Glomgold and the rest of the villians? Fantastic game!

Wow fun forum! I'd have to go with the following:

Final Fantasy: Never was able to beat on NES (mainly because my cartridge always erased when I got near the Earth Temple...

Duck Tales: Great game!

Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers: Another great game (wow remember when Disney games were made by Capcom and semi respectable?)

Legend of Zelda: The original and one of the greatest games ever!

Mega Man 3: Most people favor 2, but 3 was my favorite.

I cannot comment on the nes as I only had a snes.

But playing on emulators I would choose the following five

Super Mario Bros 2&3

Zelda

Final Fantasy

and Duck Hunt. It was no Time Crises, but it was addictive!

You guys should google/youtube angry video game nerd. He basically slags off all the crap 80s era games. Its hilarious!

Note, these are not in any kind of preferential order, they are merely in the order that I happened to think of them.

1. Tetris. The NES version is by far the best version of this amazingly addictive game ever.

2. Tecmo Super Bowl. Seriously, has there ever been a football game for any system that was as pure fun as Tecmo? All respect to the Madden franchise, but, nothing is as fun as using Barry Sanders or Bo Jackson and running circles around defenders, literally...or the 100 yard pass...:)

3. Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Nothing ever matched the pure euphoria that came from actually beating Tyson, which, as many of us discovered, was actually possible, despite the hours and hours of failed attempts.

4. Super Mario Bros 3. By far the deepest Mario game for the NES.

5. The Legend of Zelda. No self-respecting NES owner could get away with not owning this. I was fortunate enough to have the gold cartridges for both Zelda and Zelda II, causing much jealousy among my friends.

...and you can have any 5 games you want for it.

Which games do you want to have and why? What do you remember about those games?

1. Final Fantasy 1
The ancestor of many electronic RPG's. You can't ever go wrong with another run in FF1 because no two quests are the same.

2. Dragon Quest 4
The 2nd best RPG on the NES. It was a fun 8 bit RPG and from what I know, the very first RPG to ever let you pick who is in the active party. Might not sound like much now, but back in 1990(?) it was unheard of.

3. Legend of Zelda
The first game in the Zelda series, and one of the best too. It's still as addictive and entertaining as ever, even though the graphics are terrible by today's standards. I still bust out laughing at the old man at the very beginning "It's dangerous to go alone.... take THIS!". Oldschool classic.

4. Super Mario Bros 3
So innovative for its time, one of the best platformers ever. It also was the best selling game of all time for a long time, I believe it still is. I never get bored with it.

5. Super Mario Bros 1
The ancestor of all platformers, this one needs no introduction.

As for the what I remember about all these, I still play all 5 of them, so I remember pretty much everything about them.... lol

1. Final Fantasy 1
Where it all began, the ancestor of EVERY electronic RPG.

THAT'S IT I'VE HAD ENOUGH.

Have you played Dragon Warrior? The game that was released BEFORE final fantasy? The game that Final fantasy basically ripped off? There is no fucking way final fantasy is innovative or the grand daddy of RPGs so please stop saying it is.

THAT'S IT I'VE HAD ENOUGH.

Have you played Dragon Warrior? The game that was released BEFORE final fantasy? The game that Final fantasy basically ripped off? There is no fucking way final fantasy is innovative or the grand daddy of RPGs so please stop saying it is.

Yes, I have played all 8 of the Dragon Quest games. However, I do not consider the first one a true RPG because you only have one character. That's an adventure game. RPG's have you controlling a playable party. In Final Fantasy 1 you had 4 characters who's character classes you decided at the beginning of the game, and you played as them for the rest of the game. That's an RPG while I don't consider the first Dragon Quest game a true RPG.

Then there's Dragon Quest II which was released some 9 months before Final Fantasy was. That has the multiple team ideal, if that is what you consider to be an RPG. We get the idea you liek Final Fantasy, but to claim it was the first RPG is just plain stupid.

Then there's Dragon Quest II which was released some 9 months before Final Fantasy was. That has the multiple team ideal, if that is what you consider to be an RPG. We get the idea you liek Final Fantasy, but to claim it was the first RPG is just plain stupid.

Are you going by the Japanese or American release dates? Here in the states FF1 came during the summer and DQ2 came in the winter. I'll meet you halfway and say that FF1 and DQ2 are both the ancestors of RPG's.

No I'm going by the Japanese release dates as in the very forst time a game was released. Dragon Quest II was January of 87 and FF was December of the same year. That's almost a full year there, so final fantasy is not the ancestor of RPGs, one could say it took the model that you claim makes an RPG to the West but it is definitely not the ancestor of RPGs.

It now reads....

1. Final Fantasy 1
The ancestor of many electronic RPG's. You can't ever go wrong with another run in FF1 because no two quests are the same.

Better? I'll admit you got me on this one. I honestly thought FF1 came before DQ2 but had not done the research on the Japanese releases.

my five are

1 legend of Zelda ( loved the game, was very addicting.)

2. Double Dragon ( was a good fighting game, it was fun using all sorts of weapons.)

3. Super Mario Bros ( was fun the first in the line of the series, and was really fun.)

4. Friday the 13th ( it wasnt the best game play, and was cheesy but was fun to slice and dice your way threw the game.)

5. TMNT ( i loved the first one set the way for the others, in the line of games and it was one of the first games i played.)

Wow. IC, I must say, I LOVE this thread. Good idea.

1. The Legend of Zelda
It was the first game I ever owned for the NES, and if I had to do it all over again I'd do it all the same way. By far one of the greatest video games to ever be created. Ever in this day and age, and for such a limited system in terms of graphics and capabilities, Zelda would take you hours and hours to beat. It's just one of those games that was ahead of its time.

2. Metroid
Once again, I'm into games that will consume time and take lots of effort yo beat. This game is no different. Plus, it had one of the biggest surprise endings in the early days of gaming. Samus... *gulp*... a GIRL??

3. Super Mario Bros 2
I had the pleasure of being around when the first Super Mario game was released. It was such a huge jump from the original Mario Bros games. But when a sequel was hyped, I didn't think it could live up to it. I was wrong. The game was jaw-dropping and more fun than anything I had ever played before.

4. Final Fantasy
Anyone that knows me knows that I am a huge Final Fantasy mark. I can't own a gaming system and not choose the original FF game of the series in my top 5. Granted, it wasn't the O.G. of the RPG era of gaming, but the differences and enhancements that were created from the Dragon Warrior series were exactly was was missing.

5. Baseball Stars
I'm pretty surprised that no one mentioned this game. To me, it was a classic baseball game. Being able to power up players and strive to use the heavily publicized cheats (WHAT IS A WREN? A BIRD. WHEN ISN'T IS? WHEN IT IS.) to attempt to create a "Perfect 90" team was enough to keep me hooked on the game for hours, days, weeks and months. Then, when you finally use the team in a league and you're able to massacre the American Dreams, you get a huge sense of fulfillment. Not to mention that having a team consisting of players named "DIKFAC", "ASHOLE", and "JERKOF" always seemed to crack me up.

1) Super Mario Bros.

What can you say about this... This is where Mario's true legacy started (since Donkey Kong wasn't named after him...). It is perfect simplicity defined. Jumping on the koopa and kicking its shell. Going down a pipe and finding somewhere new. Defeating Bowser only to be told the princess is in another castle. Classic.

2) Legend of Zelda

If there's any game franchise that can rival Super Mario in terms of quality, it's Zelda. And this is a briliant little adventure game that laid down the traditions that are held in Zelda games to this very day. The start of pretty much the greatest franchise ever

3) Metroid

WTF!? SAMUS IZ A GURL!? ZOMG.
That moment alone is enough for that game to be on this list.

4) Battletoads.

Now, I am severly ashamed of all of you guys. How could every single one of you forget this classic? One of the toughest games of all time but with brilliant gameplay. I don't think I've ever met a person who's beaten this game, but I've never met a person who didn't like this game, eiter.

5) Super Mario Bros 3

After the slight mistake that was Super Mario Bros 2, this game got the series right back on track. It added so much to the original game which made the whole game feel like more of an adventure game than a platformer. And it's got the greatest power ups in a game ever. The Racoon suit, anybody? Or how about the Tanooki suit or the Frog suit? Or the most legendary power up of all time... The Goomba's Boot. <3

My picks:

1) The Legend Of Zelda: Why in the blue hell have I not beaten this game yet!? Oh, right. Damn you Dungeon #2! Where are you!?

The game is a true gem. The non linear gameplay, the music and the story. Not to mention it launched an ever reinventive Legend. (I have it on my cell, Windwaker style)

2) Metroid: I'm not afraid to say it. Samus gave me my first boner.$

This game lauched a great franchise. My favorite Nintendo character is always in some amazing games and this was the first.

3) Megaman 6: Just to have it again. That game cemented my bond with my dad and videogames.

I don't have to get into detail. I've already made it clear what I think about this game.

4) Fire Emblem (But in English): Rare piece to add to my collection.

I loved Fire Emblem for the GBA, but it always made me curious how the first one was.

5) Tetris: I can do it! I can make it to level 12!

Yup. The best puzzle game on Earth (and on a few other planets). I've played many variations of it. Aside from the N64 version, this one's my favorite.

Final Fantasy- My favourite game of all time. I like to fuck around and do the impossible in the game, like winning it with no weapons, never casting a magic spell, things like that. At this point, I just need a refresher of the story.

Super Mario Bros- My first game, it is packed with Duck Hunt, but I never cared much for Duck Hunt. The adventure is half the fun, playing it the long way, but ever so often I like to play without dying, not giving Robyn a turn.

Super Mario Bros 3- The ultimate NES game to play together. Super Mario Bros 3 is filled with exciting levels, exciting suits, and exciting hidden parts of the games.

Adventures of Lolo- I like maze games, and Lolo was one of my favourite. I still think back as a kid to winning the 9th world where you are surrounded by lava and are chased down the path.

-Blank for now-

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back