• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WZ Hall Of Fame Induction: Bret "The Hitman" Hart

Does he belong in the WZ Hall of Fame?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
Bret "The Hitman" Hart

bret-hart.jpg

I appreciate that these early inductions might be a bit processional early on, but it's important that we do it all fairly. The next potential inductee is Bret Hart, who needs little introduction, but I'll give it anyway.

Hart was born into the most famous wrestling family in Canada. After a brief career as an amateur wrestler at a local level he was trained in his father's dungeon and began working with greats such as Dynamite Kid in his father's Stampede Wrestling promotion. After 8 years in the promotion, during which time he was a pioneer of the ladder match, Hart himself and the promotion as a whole was acquired by the WWE.

Hart started off without real direction, before being put in a heel tag team with Jim Neidhart, his legitimate brother in law in 1985. The Hart Foundation were managed by Jimmy Hart. He had his WrestleMania debut at WrestleMania 2, in a battle royal. They won the tag titles in February 1987 and held them over six months before dropping them to Strike Force. During this period, they had some high profile feuds with the British Bulldogs, including a six man tag match at WrestleMania 3 alongside Danny Davis against the Bulldogs and Tito Santana.

After losing their titles the Harts turned face in early 1988 as Jimmy Hart betrayed them for the Rougeaus. After a few abortive breakout attempts, Hart won his second tag title at Summerslam 1990 and they held the titles until WrestleMania VII, when the team finally split for good.

Hart won his first singles title soon afterwards when he beat Mr. Perfect in what many people consider the greatest match ever at Summersam 1991. He lost the title to The Mountie, who in turn lost it to Roddy Piper who lost to Hart in a torch passing moment at WrestleMania VIII.

He held the title for a few months until dropping it at Wembley to The British Bulldog, yet another brother-in-law at Summerslam 1992. Just two months later, he beat Ric Flair at a house show to claim his first WWF Championship, which he held until WrestleMania IX, dropping it to Yokozuna, who immediately dropped it to a returning Hulk Hogan.

He was supposed to face Hogan and win at Summerslam 1993, but Hogan dropped the title and left after the first PPV King of theRing tournament. Hart would win that tournament, beating Mr. Perfect, Razor Ramon and Bam Bam Bigelow to do so. He then engaged in a feud with Jerry Lawler, which led to a Survivor Series match between Lawler (though he was replaced by Shawn Michaels) and his knights against the Hart brothers. Only Owen was eliminated and that planted the seeds of his next major feud.

Owen turned on Bret at the Royal Rumble in 1994, but Hart was still able to win the event jointly with Lex Luger. In the interest of fairness, he faced and lost to Owen at WrestleMania X before beating Yokozuna for the title later that night. He feuded with Owen over the title until Owen cost him the title against Bob Backlund at Survivor Series 1994. Hart then faced and beat Backlund in a non title match at WrestleMania XI.

Hart feuded sporiadically throughout with Jerry Lawler and his dentist Isaac Yankem, before beating Diesel for his third WWF Title at Survivor Series 1995. He held the title until WrestleMania XII when he lost in sudden death after an ironman match against Shawn Michaels. Hart disappeared until Survivor Series of 1996, when he returned to face Steve Austin in a winning effort.

Hart won the 1997 Royal Rumble, only for Austin to return and eliminate him, setting up a Fatal Fourway for the number one contendership. However, after Michaels got injured, the match was for the WWF Title, which Hart won only to lose it the next day when Austin cost him it. This lead to a submission match at WrestleMania 13 which was won by Hart, but in a manner so brutal he turned heel and Austin face in the process.

Austin beat Hart the next month after interferance from The British Bulldog, which established Hart as a foreign heel in charge of the heel Hart Foundation, which included Owen, Neidhart, Bulldog and Brian Pillman. Heels in the USA, but faces everywhere else they fought.

He managed to beat Undertaker for the title with inadvertant help from Shawn Michaels at Summerslam 1997, and held it until Survivor Series 1997, when he lost the title in the Montreal Screwjob, which is too boring to go into detail about again.

That led to him leaving WWF and arriving in WCW at Starrcade 1997, when he complained about the result in the Sting and Hogan match. Whilst that was bizarre, he had a decent face push in early 1998 but quickly turned heel by attacking Randy Savage. He beat Savage a couple of times, before setting his sights elsewhere. He beat DDP for the vacant US title, dropping it to Lex Luger and regaining it shortly afterwards. He exchanged the title with DDP a further time in late 1998, and ultimately dropped it to Roddy Piper.

His next action was to goad Bill Goldberg, and trick him into spearing an iron plate, before disappearing from WCW for a while. Over this time, Owen Hart died so Hart didn't return until September. He beat Goldberg, for the first time, to win the US title for the fourth time and to progress in the biggest tournament of all time. He lost the title to Scott Hall in a ladder match soon afterwards, but he managed to win the tournament, and his first WCW title at Mayhem 1999.

He and Goldberg briefly held the WCW Tag Titles, but lost them to the Outsiders. Hart faced Goldberg at Starrcade, winning, but being concussed in the process. He vacated the title, due to the dusty finish at Starrcade only to win it back as the nWo reformed and beat down Goldberg. Hart was the WCW Champion for much of January 2000, but his injuries proved too much and he was forced into retirement.

Ten years and a stroke later, he has returned to the WWE and will likely induct his father into their hall of fame, which he was inducted to himself in 2005, but does he belong in our hall of fame?

Ofcourse Bret Hart should be in the WZ Hall of Fame, his title's alone should put him right up there, the only one to win the King of the Ring twice, Royal Rumble winner and many more titles I won't be getting into.
He's been putting on amazing technical wrestling matches throughout his whole career, as so many Dungeon trained people can brag about, but Bret takes the cake so to say.
It's hard to argue why Bret Hart shouldn't be inducted, I mean hell even Vince who had a grudge against Bret allowed him to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
So definitely, lets induct him among the elites of Wrestlezone Hall of Fame.

Without a doubt, yes. Bret Hart was one of the best technical wrestlers of all time in WWE. From his humble beginnings with Neidhart in the Hart Foundation up to the Screwjob, Hart left a damn impressive body of work behind. He "won" the Royal Rumble, he was a 2 time KOTR winner, 2 time Tag Champ, 2 time IC champ, and 5 time WWE champion which may not sound impressive by today's standards with guys like HHH having like 15 world titles. But in the old days a world title meant so much, just look at HBK's first title win at WM 12 and how special it was to him. Or look at a guy like Ted DiBiase, a man being inducted into the WWE HOF this year, and he never even won a world title. But today even a guy like The Great Khali has had a world title, so that shows how things have changed.

Forget the many accomplishments and accolades though; think about his classic matches. WM 8 against Roddy Piper for the IC title. WM 10 against his brother Owen and his epic cage counter with Owen as well. WM 12 - The legendary Iron Man Match with HBK. WM 13 - Submission match with Austin that shot Austin's push through the roof. The Summerslam classic with Taker and so many more, those are just off the top of my head.

Bret is one of my all time favorites, so he absolutely deserves to be in the WZ HOF. I think we all know his match with Vince at Mania this year won't be a technical wrestling exhibition, but at least for people like me, we can see Bret in the ring one last time.

As much as I think Bret Hart is overrated, he's a well deserved induction into the WZ Hall of Fame. He's done a whole lot for our business, had some great matches, and was one of the more controversial wrestlers for many years. His technical wrestling goes unnoticed, but it's one of the main things I know Bret for. Despite him not having the greatest drawing power and being an overall main event caliber wrestler, he was one of the better schooled wrestlers in his era.

Now before I'm torn to bits by Bret Hart fans, I'm not saying he sucked. But unless he was with someone bigger than he was name wise, his matches weren't huge ratings getters. His match with Yokozuna at Wrestlemania was awful... because Hart couldn't work well with him. Hart can do a lot of things right... and to me that's a good reason to have him in our Hall of Fame.

Pretty much a guarantee that I'm going to say yes. Hart got me into wrestling and made me into a fan. He was great in the ring and was definitely one of the best to ever get into the squared circle. His career towards the end was surrounded with controversy, but look what that did for wrestling. We are still talking about the screwjob to this day. Hart had a big impact on this business and was one of the best in the ring and one of the biggest stars of the 90s. No doubt he deserves a spot in the WZ hall.

This is getting ridiculous. It really is. I would never say Bret Hart doesn't deserve the spot. However, I will say what needs to be said; Bret Hart, in a multi million dollar corporation, at the prime of it's riches, simply wasn't a draw, and under the combined watch of Diesel, Yokozuna, and Bret Hart, ratings went into the tanker. This man is exactly like Randy Savage; he's a great worker, and perhaps one of the best, but by himself, the man wasn't nearly the draw that most of the elites in professional wrestling. He isn't nearly the legend that a man like Harley Race, or for that matter, even Lou Thesz, and even Bret would admit that. Hell, if you read Cret's book, he doesn't even consider himself the greatest worker. That, in his eyes, falls upon the shoulders of Archie "The Stomper" Gouldie. Bret was a fine worker, sure, but he was nowhere near the draw that more deserving names that should be in before Bret.

Tasty, I know you agree with me on this, so this isn't meant for you, but to those that vote in the next edition of this, consider that plenty of more legends out there are far more deserving of induction. I can name ten already the deserve it more than Bret Hart and Randy Savage, because not only were they fantastic workers, they actually drew a damn dime in the business. Cut the smarky bullshit; induct a name that truly deserves to be considered an elite. Andre the Giant pretty much revolutionized the sport by his own bare hands. So did Ed "Strangler" Lewis. I'm going to get off my high horse now, but if the next candidate is someone like Shawn Michaels, or Jake Roberts, or someone comparable to the last two men inducted, I will make the case as to why they shouldn't be inducted. I may seem like only one vote, but I totally plan on making at least some points as to why this wrestler shouldn't be inducted. Bret Hart, I'll sign off. But again, plenty more deserving names should have been this selection.

This is getting ridiculous. It really is. I would never say Bret Hart doesn't deserve the spot. However, I will say what needs to be said; Bret Hart, in a multi million dollar corporation, at the prime of it's riches, simply wasn't a draw, and under the combined watch of Diesel, Yokozuna, and Bret Hart, ratings went into the tanker. This man is exactly like Randy Savage; he's a great worker, and perhaps one of the best, but by himself, the man wasn't nearly the draw that most of the elites in professional wrestling. He isn't nearly the legend that a man like Harley Race, or for that matter, even Lou Thesz, and even Bret would admit that. Hell, if you read Cret's book, he doesn't even consider himself the greatest worker. That, in his eyes, falls upon the shoulders of Archie "The Stomper" Gouldie. Bret was a fine worker, sure, but he was nowhere near the draw that more deserving names that should be in before Bret.

Tasty, I know you agree with me on this, so this isn't meant for you, but to those that vote in the next edition of this, consider that plenty of more legends out there are far more deserving of induction. I can name ten already the deserve it more than Bret Hart and Randy Savage, because not only were they fantastic workers, they actually drew a damn dime in the business. Cut the smarky bullshit; induct a name that truly deserves to be considered an elite. Andre the Giant pretty much revolutionized the sport by his own bare hands. So did Ed "Strangler" Lewis. I'm going to get off my high horse now, but if the next candidate is someone like Shawn Michaels, or Jake Roberts, or someone comparable to the last two men inducted, I will make the case as to why they shouldn't be inducted. I may seem like only one vote, but I totally plan on making at least some points as to why this wrestler shouldn't be inducted. Bret Hart, I'll sign off. But again, plenty more deserving names should have been this selection.

The man has a point, I put Savage on top as a guilty pleasure, but in all honesty some of the suggestions given so far have been a little strange. Without wishing to give the suprise away, the next few wrestlers as nominations stand are genuine top rate major draws, but I can't emphasise enough that people need to nominate. If they don't, before long luminaries like Rob Van Dam will be up for induction. So, Tenta, and anyone else for that matter, click on my sig and nominate if you want your favourites to be considered.

That being said, Bret Hart is probably worthy of a spot. He wasn't the best promo man of all time, and certainly wasn't a draw, but he consistently put on some of the greatest matches of all time. Does he deserve top billing in the induction ceremony? Probably not. Does he deserve to get in on the back of his accomplishments? Debatable. I think he is a big influence in the modern craft of professional wrestling though, and many have tried to emulate his style since, so I think for that reason he deserves to go into our hall of fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back