WWF petition

relentless1

G.O.A.T.
If there was a petition to change the name of WWE back to WWF would you sign it? do you think that WWF died when the name change happened??

To be fair id bet that if Vince was offered the chance to go back to the old WWF name he would turn it down. WWE is a brand name now with ventures outside of wrestling like WWE films. The WWE name holds more value now then it would if it changed back to WWF. You also have to consider the fact that Vince prefers to refer to his wrestlers as sports entertainers now and has pushed wrestling as entertainment for years.

To answer your second question no i don't think the WWF died when the name change happened as at the end of the day it's just a name. I prefer to judge products based on their quality rather then their name and i can't complain with the quality WWE have offered over the years.

If there was a petition to change the name of WWE back to WWF would you sign it? do you think that WWF died when the name change happened??

To be fair id bet that if Vince was offered the chance to go back to the old WWF name he would turn it down. WWE is a brand name now with ventures outside of wrestling like WWE films. The WWE name holds more value now then it would if it changed back to WWF. You also have to consider the fact that Vince prefers to refer to his wrestlers as sports entertainers now and has pushed wrestling as entertainment for years.

Do either of you know that WWE can not change their name back even if they wanted to? Do you remember the lawsuit with the World Wildlife Fund for nature?

Why do you think the WWF scratch logo is blurred on old footage? That wasn't a decision WWE made, that was court ordered.

It's really sad that some people don't even know why they changed their name in the first place.

Also, Vince has always called wrestlers "Sports Entertainers" since the 1980s, which is why they didn't get oversight by sport athletic commissions.

Also, the OFFICIAL company name after Titan Sports Inc was World Wrestling Federation ENTERTAINMENT

Hell, even ROH is officially now "Ring of Honor Wrestling Entertainment"

Do either of you know that WWE can not change their name back even if they wanted to? Do you remember the lawsuit with the World Wildlife Fund for nature?

Why do you think the WWF scratch logo is blurred on old footage? That wasn't a decision WWE made, that was court ordered.

It's really sad that some people don't even know why they changed their name in the first place.

Also, Vince has always called wrestlers "Sports Entertainers" since the 1980s, which is why they didn't get oversight by sport athletic commissions.

Also, the OFFICIAL company name after Titan Sports Inc was World Wrestling Federation ENTERTAINMENT

Hell, even ROH is officially now "Ring of Honor Wrestling Entertainment"

And where in my post did i say that he would be able to change it? I simply posted a hypothetical scenario where if Vince actually had the chance(which i never said he realistically did) then he would still turn it down for the reasons i stated. I was humoring the person who started the thread. Seriously did you read my post at all?

I wish WWE would revert back to some of the WWF times and championships but name change would be ******ed, they've marketed WWE bigtime and most fans probably don't even know WWE was once called WWF.

The only thing that's ever bothered me is the retroactive censoring of the WWF "scratch" logo. It's logical and fine to me that WWE had to change their name going forward, but requiring them to go back and egregiously edit their own history is really stupid, and depending on the edit job done, it makes some matches from 1998-2002 almost unwatchable.

So if some magical petition came into fruition that would have any influence, I'd want to keep the name WWE (it's grown on me, it's fine, and they've spent a decade marketing themselves as such, it'd be a waste to randomly go back to "WWF" now), but preserve their history. Everyone knows what the scratch logo looks like. Everyone knows what the commentators are saying when we get an edited "The Rock just won the W.W.(extended silence) Championship!". Just let their history be shown.

They didn't change their name for the fun of it. They lost a lawsuit, and HAD to change their name. The World Wildlife Fund has those initials for good now, and it's not changing.

A petition would be 100% pointless.

Up until 2009 I think I still said WWF when referring to WWE. More out of habit then anything. I'm a traditionalist so I'd prefer the World Wrestling Federation. IF he had the opportunity, no I don't think he'd change it back. They have taken the E more global then they ever have been and it IS a brand now. Marketing strategies for ANY business are to make your company have brand recognition. When I worked for Advance Auto Parts they preached that "When people think auto parts we want them to automatically think Advance." That is branding. That is what WWE is. Nowadays, when people thing of pro wrestling they think WWE.

Go to YouTube and watch Bobby Heenans HOF induction speech. Not only is it classic and vintage Bobby humor, he also goes on a rant about WWE/WWF and the World Wildlife Foundation. The McMahons are shown laughing hysterically. I suggest everybody watch it.

I'm sure would love to be able to call his company: World Wrestling Federation again, just from a marketing stand point Federation sounds so much better better than entertainment. either that or call the wrestling portion WWF and call the movie division and etc. WWE

It took the World Wildlife Fund something in the region of 20 years to get a court to rule that the WWF/E had to change its name. If they had the option to go back they would surely not censor out the old WWF logos on the clips. Plus as others have said even if the world wildlife fund were to go bust WWE incorporates all of the non-wrestling ventures Vinnie Mac is engaged in from films to the impending TV network to erm... Films? I already said that.... Legends house? No wait that will be on the network. XFL?

Yeah WWE still only really stands for wrestling doesn't it? That being said I doubt VKM will ever stop trying to expand into other areas of entertainment and that will also eventually be the downfall of the company - not anytime soon but if the Network bombs WWE will be seriously out of pocket.

even if it was possible to change the name back, nothing would change. the superstars today suck. WWF wasnt a name, it was an era......an era that died a long time ago.

I wouldn't give any shits. The name of the company has no bearing on the product itself. It'll still be the same show as it was, whether it's a "federation" or it's "entertainment." I wouldn't waste my time signing a petition, and I think anyone that does has issues with their priorities.

They didn't change their name for the fun of it. They lost a lawsuit, and HAD to change their name. The World Wildlife Fund has those initials for good now, and it's not changing.

A petition would be 100% pointless.

Vince & Co. didn't lose anything. WWE actually owned the trademark to the "WWF" moniker prior to the World Wildlife Fund. Vince settled the lawsuit as a PR gesture and because WWF & WWFE were being consolidated into a single company (WWE) at that time anyway. The company was going in that direction as they were dropping the whole association of being a regional wrestling federation and promoting themselves as a global entertainment company. They now blur the old WWF logos because they no longer own those rights to promote their product with the WWF call letters.

Personally I would like the WWF name back just for nostalgia and of course so that they can unblur all the past videos. I don't care if they use it now instead of WWE. Truthfully I wish they had never lost it so that we didn't have to sit through that uber cool (yeah right) Get the "F" out campaign. I felt the same way when NWA was changed to WCW. Can't really pinpoint what it was but something was lost when they changed the name.

Personally I would like the WWF name back just for nostalgia and of course so that they can unblur all the past videos. I don't care if they use it now instead of WWE. Truthfully I wish they had never lost it so that we didn't have to sit through that uber cool (yeah right) Get the "F" out campaign. I felt the same way when NWA was changed to WCW. Can't really pinpoint what it was but something was lost when they changed the name.

The NWA wasn't changed to WCW. WCW was just one promotion inside the NWA and then eventually left.

I wish Vince would stop being such a ****** and accept the fact he's running a wrestling promotion. His ventures out in to other realms of "entertainment" were all failures. He needs to stop trying to enter a market he's never been good at and focus on what he used to be good at.

No offense to the old name but the calling it the "WWF" just seems dated and crusty. I wouldn't want it back. I prefer the name WWE. It has a better sound to it and look at what they've done since going from a wrestling federation to wrestling entertainment.

On the bright side. WWE would be able to call there title " The World Wrestling Federation Championship " Instead of the WWE title..

I think it would be pointless to change the name of the company back to WWF. People have gotten used to it by now and some have grown up only knowing it as WWE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back