WWE's current youth movement.... Comparable to MLB/NFL?

Radical Canadian Goose

Getting Noticed By Management
Lately, I have read several threads about who the future of the company is. I have actually enjoyed reading these and being part of the discussions in several of them. I also have acknowledged that I may not be the only one excited about the future of the business. It has also got me thinking about something. Being a huge sports fan I have noticed that there are youth movements going on currently in MLB and the NFL. Coincidence? Yes, most likely, but I prefer to think that there is no such thing as coincidence. I know what some of you are thinking, youth movements happen all the time, so what's his point? Yeah, I know, youth movements happen all the time, but, humor me and let me speak my piece anyways.

MLB is going through an exciting time right now with several young stars such as Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado and Yasiel Puig among names being discussed as being the future of the game, who knows they might smash some records in the process of becoming all time greats (I know it's early but time will tell).

NFL fans were foaming at the mouth last season watching rookie QBs Andrew Luck, RGIII and Russell Wilson establishing themselves as stars in their rookie seasons. I even read an article stating that the 2012 draft may turn to be the best draft class for QBs over exceptional drafts including 1983 and 2004.

WWE fans are fascinated by young stars such as all three members of The Shield, Damien Sandow, Big E Langston, etc. Many seem to be getting antsy with excitement over what the future holds for these young men.

My questions to all of you are as follows:

Are you excited about the youth movement currently going on in WWE?

Is this movement similar to the ones I described in MLB and NFL? (yes, I know wrestling is scripted and baseball and football aren't, again humor me)

The youth movement is very exciting but the thing complicating everything (just like it always has) is them squeezing every last cent out of Cena while they still can.

Until young guys get real chances at the top of cards to shine they will never progress.

Today people have more viable opportunities to follow their dreams and perfect their crafts at an early age. In the old days a guy would have to work the indys for a god awful amount of time before even being considered by a major promotion. Today you can take a cab to whatever part of the city has a wrestling instructor, go there for a while, and/or go to FCW and train there. Not only that, but the particular interest the youth has taken in sports, whether its wrestling or say baseball means you have a plethora of guys to pick from. Both avenues are trying to squeeze whatever they can from the talent they recruit as early as possible and then move on to the next batch of individuals. Theres no need to have A-Rod on a roster and pay him millions when some 20 year old kid who has the same level of talent will do it for much less money. This strategy, which like I said is being employed by all forms of entertainment, might not create household names but it turns a quick profit and as long as the population keeps growing the way it is, things arent going to change.

bout time as far as i'm concerned. Tho WWE has always had a youth movement following the Hogan era as far as always adding new stars and getting rid of the fat in some cases, but now more then ever they need someone to stick, love him or hate him Cena is one of the few Mega Stars on the roster, plenty of people that are OK but he stands out as being larger then life.

They need more people who will step up and take control not just do the bare minimum to keep there job. and in Sandow, Ziggler, The Shield and Daniel Bryan they have that. IMO. not to many others are really standing out as these guys are gonna make it unless they totally screw up.

JR coined it well in a recent interview, whether it was what he actually said or not, it is quite evident to be the case for along time now
We have alot of talented people on the roster if they just applied themselves, but instead they for the most part don't want to take a risk and don't want to go that extra mile to earn a push. So they just perform to keep there jobs and then complain they aren't getting noticed and aren't getting a push. Sure we (WWE) want someone to succeed as it means more growth for the company, we don't just intentionally black ball people that "fans" think are the future, moreso for reasons only known backstage between company and star they aren't working out to there full potential.

Now obviously some of that is just him wanting to keep his job, but the general overview is something i've felt just by watching that the stars aren't excelling they are just there earning a paycheck and are part of the "selfish generation" which actually imitates life too

I'm skeptical of all youth movements because I don't believe mass turnover is always a good thing. I'd say for every 20 new guys 1 or 2 of them deserve to be there. I wish the WWE were in a postion where they could sit on these guys until A- they're ready and B- the right situation arises to put them in the best position to succeed. Bringing up a bunch of guys at a time hurts them more than it helps. Curtis Axle would have been better served had we never seen him on WWE television before, but now the WWE is tasked with making us forget about his previous run. I don't know, the turn movement reminds me of taking a dump because usually that's what it turns out to be.

I'm glad to see new guys get over, but the problem is that the WWE is doing it all at the same time. However, this is a problem that has been going on for a while ever since New Generation had to take the reins after all the Hogan era stars went to WCW. WWE had to start pushing a lot of the Cena era stars en masse because the two biggest Attitude era stars (Stone Cold and The Rock) left without passing the torch. Now the PG era stars are going stale around the same time, so we have to push a metric shit ton of new stars again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back