• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE World Heavyweight title and Raw.

Heartbreak_Kid_707

Championship Contender
One of my greatest wrestling Raw moments was Mick Foley winning the championship again the rock I think. But Foley running around the ring was magic. But my question is about the world title (not us, tag, IC, and Divas) when was the last time Raw had a World title change hands...I know the big deal about the. Build up for ppv's and why do it for free on TV and everything, but when did the top prize change hands ? B

Pretty sure it was Cena beating Mysterio in the same night Mysterio won it. The night Punk "returned" with the original title belt 4 years ago.

Yeah, it was Cena beating Mysterio the same night Rey won the title in the tournament final in 2011. I still to this day don't understand that booking. It was such heel booking of Cena. They should have at least pulled a WrestleMania X and had Cena compete in a match so he was equally as tired as Mysterio, it would have been the babyface thing to do.

The Mankind win wasn't even the first title change on Raw. The year before, Austin beat Kane the Raw after their first blood match. I'm pretty sure Sid beat Bret on Raw the year before that. The Foley win stands out because he was the underdog, whereas Sid and Austin were booked more dominantly, that and no one really gives a rat's ass about Sid.

The Foley win was probably my favourite on Raw, there have been quite a few since. Edge beat RVD after the weed scandal, Orton has won it once or twice on a Monday. There was so much heart behind behind Mankind's win, that and it being the tipping point in the Monday war make it unforgettable. I doubt we get a change like it ever again.

I know we don't wanna count the World Heavyweight championship but Ziggler won that on Raw a couple years back. I wanna say it was the night after Wrestlemania 29, got a really loud pop. Part of the "problem" is that they've been making world title reigns longer. I mean let's check the last 5 or so WWE champs

1. Rollins: Won it at Mania 31
2. Lesnar: Won it 7 months before that at SummerSlam
3. Cena: Won it like 3 months before that(but I believe the booking was for Bryan to hold it till Summerslam...and before that for Batista to hold it that long)
4. Bryan: Won it at Mania 30, was supposed to hold it for 4ish months
5. Orton: His official reign started in what October of 2013? I wanna say it was Hell In A Cell

If you ignore the title reigns that lasted like an hour or whatever you're looking at 5 guys holding the belt in the last 25 months. For an average length of 5 months. If Bryan wouldn't have gotten injured you would have had only 4 champions in that window, so you're looking at an average length of 6 months.

Let's view the previous 3 title reigns before this shall we...

6. Cena: Won it at Mania 29
7. Rock: Won it at the Royal Rumble 2013
8. Punk: Won it at Survivor Series 2011

So you look at the last 8 WWE champions and that covers 46 months. So an average title reign of about 6 months. You definitely do bring up a good point as that would be a great swerve but! I don't think that's the problem here. You notice a pattern on that list I made? Aside from Orton gaining the belt at Hell In A Cell and Cena winning the belt at MitB every other title change happened at a Big 4 PPV! It almost makes watching the B PPV's unimportant!

And I really want to reiterate my point about how Bryan was supposed to be world champion until Summerslam 2014. You figure that knocks the average up to a title change every 7 months. It's truly quite incredible when you look at it! They are actually trying to bring prestige back to the belt!! Which is why I put problem in quotes up at the top, this is a great thing. Should a title change happen on Raw sooner or later, yes but it shouldn't be a common thing. Long title reigns with meaningful feuds behind them build prestige and my goodness they're almost getting it right

Actually change hands? No idea, it has been so long. The Cena win everyone talks about wasn't a change as much as crowning a new champ because there wasn't one. I honestly can't remember when it happened last and it is a shame because they should do it once in a while. Remember when their catchphrase was "anything can happen in the wwf"? hard to believe that when the good stuff only happens on ppv.

Didn't Dolph Ziggler wins the World Title from Alberto Del Rio on Raw? After Wrestlemania indeed! It was a great moment as well as the Raw after Wrestlemania has been always special. On the contrary I was watching Top 10 "Raw after Wrestlemania Moments" on YouTube and WWE somehow missed this. Poor Ziggler.

If you are not counting Cena win then last was ortan winning wwe championship in fatal four way on Raw after Batista was injured.

I thought not counting the stuff between Cena and Mysterio that the last time the WWE Title changed hands on a Raw was when Miz cashed in on Orton towards the end of 2010. I believe the time Randy won the 4 way match when Batista fore fitted the title was in 2009.

I believe RVD won it back in 06 and then before that you get into the attitude era where the belt probably changed hands a few times on Raw.

Okay guys being as we are still questioning the last time, I went to Wikipedia and pulled up the official list of world champions. So the last 5 times the WWE championship was won on Raw was...

1. Cena on July 25th 2011
2. Mysterio on July 25th 2011
3. Miz on November 22nd 2010
4. Orton on June 15th 2009
5. Edge on July 3rd 2006

Now for the second tier world title, the World Heavyweight championship

1. Ziggler on April 8th 2013
2. Del Rio on January 11th 2013 (this was on Smackdown but I'm counting it anyway)
3. Orton on May 3rd 2011
4. Edge on February 15th 2011
5. Ziggler on February 15th 2011

Say you wanted to refer to the last 5 years in this post you're looking at a total of 8 world titles won on free TV. 3 of those were your major world title!

And for comparison sake, in that time period 17 World Heavy weight champions were crowned! Which means 5 of the 17 times the World heavyweight championship changed hands was on free TV! And the WWE championship was won 20 times in that time window, so 3 of 20 times it was won on free tv over the last 5 years. Which if you add them together you're looking at 8 of 37 title changes were on Raw for an average of 21.6% of all world title changes.

Yea it hasn't happened in a while but that is an upward trend, showing they want the world title to mean more than it did when the belt would be won and lost a day later(looking at you Kane and Austin). I do see your point that the belt not being won on Raw makes Raw a smidge less entertaining but it also means you're more inclined to watch the PPV's, so it's a good thing

Also here's the Wikipedia link for it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_World_Heavyweight_Champions

if we are counting both titles (WWE and World titles when they weren't unified), then i THINK it was when Dolph Ziggler cashed in on Alberto Del Rio (which the crowd went insane over). it was a great moment for Ziggler and RAW and i think part of the reason title changes dont happen on RAW like they did is Triple H's influence on having longer title reigns. When Russo was booking, he loved to hotshot title runs and enjoyed having titles just flip from one guy to another. Triple H, however, seems to like a longer championship reign for a wrestler.

Cena beating Mysterio the same night Rey won the title in the tournament final in 2011. I still to this day don't understand that booking. It was such heel booking of Cena.
oh, i agree....i HATED that move. i think they should've held Punk off the show till a week later, had Rey win the tournament, then have Cena (at the end of the night) challenge Rey to a championship match a week later like a face usually does, then have him win the title back a week later, then have Punk return.

Yeah, it was Cena beating Mysterio the same night Rey won the title in the tournament final in 2011. I still to this day don't understand that booking. It was such heel booking of Cena. They should have at least pulled a WrestleMania X and had Cena compete in a match so he was equally as tired as Mysterio, it would have been the babyface thing to do.

The Mankind win wasn't even the first title change on Raw. The year before, Austin beat Kane the Raw after their first blood match. I'm pretty sure Sid beat Bret on Raw the year before that. The Foley win stands out because he was the underdog, whereas Sid and Austin were booked more dominantly, that and no one really gives a rat's ass about Sid.

The Foley win was probably my favourite on Raw, there have been quite a few since. Edge beat RVD after the weed scandal, Orton has won it once or twice on a Monday. There was so much heart behind behind Mankind's win, that and it being the tipping point in the Monday war make it unforgettable. I doubt we get a change like it ever again.

He suffered a career ending injury like 15 years ago, and hasn't had the WWE hype machine pumping him up, the way they selectively do with some other old wrestlers. But Sid was very, very over for most of his career. In fact, many fans cheered him over both Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels, when he was a heel. He was a bad ass, and fans responded to that.

oh, i agree....i HATED that move. i think they should've held Punk off the show till a week later, had Rey win the tournament, then have Cena (at the end of the night) challenge Rey to a championship match a week later like a face usually does, then have him win the title back a week later, then have Punk return.

Why couldn't they have waited it out? Cena versus Rey at Summerslam to determine the WWE champion. You have 2 guys who are insanely over, both had been in the company for about a decade at that point! What 15 world title reigns between them by that point? Face versus face. Then storyline wise Rey steals a victory(could you imagine how crazy that would be?). Del Rio comes out and cashes in on Rey. Del Rio is still ADR so he's not going to get a huge reaction from it and you still have him take the belt off an over babyface.

You can split off Rey/ADR as a feud for the next PPV or two and if you really must, you could have Cena feud with Nash? Meanwhile Punk still isn't on TV with the actual WWE championship. You could give Cena two feuds: one with Nash for costing him the belt and one with Punk for actually taking his belt and vanishing.

September PPV(I wanna say it was Night Of Champs): Del Rio beats Rey Mysterio. And Cena beats Nash. You kill both of these feuds because I mean by this point Nash left and I wanna say Rey was storylineless right away in the real WWE.

October PPV: You can have Cena feud with Del Rio because I mean why not. Now you have two choices: Cena wins and Punk comes back setting up a match at Survivor Series(which gives Punk the belt you can claim his reign started here giving him the same length world title run) or have Cena lose to Del Rio and continue feuding with him till December where you have Cena win the feud setting up a Punk return at the Royal Rumble.

You still have a big money match at Summerslam, still give Nash something to do, have an okay Cena/Del Rio feud, give Punk the victory over Cena to become the actual WWE champion instead of Del Rio. Just seems to work better to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back