WWE Vintage - blurring out too much?

Bobbywoodhogan

Pre-Show Stalwart
Does anyone watch WWE Vintage?

I was watching it this morning and I know they do usually blur things out like the WWF scratch logo, chair shots, fan signs, etc but today during a match between Ultimate Warrior and Mr Perfect I noticed they blurred out the flags above the ring that said Superstars of Wrestling, does anyone have any idea why?

On another note to WWE Vintage, I hate the side panels that say Vintage throughout the match, totally ruins the show for me, very distracting.

Yes I notice those blurred banners too. I remember reading from one of the users here that Vince has a ban on the word "Wrestling", as he perfers "Sports Entertainment". Pretty dumb to blur out the word though, I really do not see the difference it makes, viewers probably would of not even notice it, but now they will because of the big ugly blur.

yes I watch Vintage without fail, I've caught a few matches from back in the day (1993-1997) recently and I've got to say I always love watching the wrestling from that era on Vintage.

I'm not sure why they blurred some of the stuff on Vintage maybe it shows the WWF sign and their not allowed to?

If no one knows the wwe was originaly known as the wwwf which stood for world wide wrestling federation they were sued by another wwwf whos was known as world wide wildlife federation so the wwe dropped a w calling wwf then when right before they went to the wwe they were sued yet again for copyright infringement by wwf because they changed their name to world wildlife federation so there for any thing with the logo wwf in it has to be lurred or they will be fined and sued.

This is pretty much my first post here and I don't mean to blast anyone in my first post.....

But in response to DeadAndRising...

Yes, the WWE was once known as WWWF. But it was when they were known as WWF is when the other WWF (World Wildlife Fund) took them to court over the rights to the name. World Wildlife Fund won the case, thus making World Wrestling Federation to change to what we now know them as, WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment.

The reason for the panels on the side is because the old footage wasn't shot in widescreen... its simply used as filler.

As mentioned in the court case they were to stop using WWF on tv, which included removing the logo retrospectively too.

I can only assume the SoW that was blurred out had a large WWF logo on it

The WWE can still use their WWF logos with the exception of the scratch logo. And the reason WWE has to blur the scratch logo is because they violated an agreement with the World Wildlife Fund, NOT because they were using the same initials.

As for blurring "Superstars of Wrestling", my guess is because the WWE doesn't want its younger fans to confuse the old show with the current WWE Superstars.

Sorry to stray off topic.
I gotta say did anyone really ever confuse the World Wrestling Federation with the World Wildlife Fund? Did people start thinking that a panda was the WWF(E) chanpion and that Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior were an endangered species that needed to be protected? I can just see it now: ....the NEW World Wrestling Federation Champion, Komodo Dragon!!!!

But, back on topic, I was watching vintage the other morning on Sky, and noticed they blurred out Sherri when she fell on her arse during a match between Piper and Savage. I had to wonder why they were blurring it, was she wearing no underwear or something? I found the match on youtube, and no, she was wearing....a thong! We must protect people from seeing buttocks on television! This blurring and censorship crap is getting a little out of hand now. We even have, in matches on www.wweclassics.com, the screen going to black and white when theres some blood, because, as we all know of course, black and white blood looks completely different and not as intense. Bollocks.

Sorry for the rant, I'll just go find my nurse and take my pills.

Yeah before they even started to use wwf they had agreed to not use wwf to market their product worldwide, they broke their promise and the world wildlife people actually let them ride for a while beforedoing something about it. As far as the blurring, I hope we don't see too much of it when wwe starts their channel.

To be honest I think the blurring of WWF (scratch logo) is stupid, they can use the old WWF logos but not that one so we have to watch it blurred? just doesn't make any sense to me. I think the Wildlife Fund just sued World Wrestling Federation because they weren't making enough money and wanted a scapegoat. Its weird how they'd used it for all those years before the Wildlife FUnd jumped on them.

But yeah my query was just with the superstars of wrestling banner not the WWF logo because I already know all about that. But yeah all they did was blur out the text saying superstars of wrestling. If the sports entertainment thing mentioned is true Vince is a dumba**, afterall his company is called World WRESTLING entertainment. Regardless of whether he doesn't consider it a sport the people in the ring are still wrestling.

The World Wildlife Fund was formed on Sept 11, 1961 in Switzerland. They later changed their name to World Wide Fund for Nature in 1986 (WWF).
Both parties apparently had an agreement and shared the initials 'WWF' since the late 1979 until in 2002 the World Wide Fund for Nature filed a lawsuit citing 'unfair trade practices.' The Conservation Organization claimed the wrestling company had violated a 1994 agreement reguarding international use of the 'WWF' initials.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3_1038611 (News Article Link)
http://contracts.corporate.findlaw.com/agreements/wwf/worldwildlife.1997.01.20.html (Text of the 1994 legal agreement)

Okay, so that would be the reasons for needing to blur out the initials. As far as Robbo316 goes I would be happy it was blurred when Sherri fell on her arse. I wouldn't want to see what was or wasn't there anyway. It was BAD enough having to see Vicki in her 'Simply Flawless' granny panties a couple weeks ago.
Personally I've never watch the show in question here, so I could only speculate on what and why things are blurred, especially when I don't even know what is or isn't blurred. I just hoped to shed some more accurate light on the WWF initials.

I think they are too strict on this. I honestly think the video editing staff should lighten up and blur less out. It ruins the atmosphere for me when I see things like this are blurred out. It is very frustrating.

I don't think any of this is up to any of you as to whether you feel the blurring of old logos it's stupid, strict, logical, or none of the above. It was a lawsuit that the WWE LOST and need to FOLLOW, otherwise they'll get sued again. If you don't like it, don't watch. But don't allow your brains to get in the way of what MUST happen. The WWE doesn't have a choice here.

To be honest I think the blurring of WWF (scratch logo) is stupid, they can use the old WWF logos but not that one so we have to watch it blurred? just doesn't make any sense to me. I think the Wildlife Fund just sued World Wrestling Federation because they weren't making enough money and wanted a scapegoat. Its weird how they'd used it for all those years before the Wildlife FUnd jumped on them.

Basically when the World Wildlife Foundation sued the then WWF, the "scratch logo" was the main logo that was called by the courts to blur out for future use. The WWF (panda one) tried to ban all the previous logos but the court didn't let it pass due to those logos not being used when Vince broke the agreement he had with the WWF. The scratch logo was the main offender when the others were not. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back