• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Universe eww

farlance

Pre-Show Stalwart
Does anybody else hate being referred as "the wwe universe"? I dont know if that term is geared toward the kiddies since its PG now, but personally it makes my skin crawl whenever I hear it. Whenever a face is in the ring cutting a promo and brings up us, "the wwe universe" bla bla bla, it makes me want to change the channel. I cant stand it! I dont know why. Maybe they just say it too much. Maybe its just impersonal for the WWE to refer to their fans as a collective base like that. Like we all have the same likes and dislikes. Maybe its that assumption that makes the product so stale these days. Any thoughts?? Are you proud to be part of "the wwe universe"?

I'll be honest and say that you're not alone in this. I can't stand it either. I'm not a member of there damn universe because I'm in my own world. I'm simply a FAN. And they do say it alot, not just in promos, but the commentators say it about every 30 seconds into a match. It's sickening.

I'm not that name annoys me as well. We should be known as wrestling fans who watch WWE not some generic name they came up with. I don't think its PG, I just think it's because of Vince McMahon who wants everything or everyone to be referred in some type or form with the WWE in it.

I'm proud to be a part of the "WWE Universe". The WWE doesn't want to call us wrestling fans because that could imply that we like TNA. The WWE Universe is the WWE fanship. It makes them look bigger by putting everything WWE related together. It's like they are creating their own world.

It's a bit annoying as a name, but it's no different than the "Raider Nation" or any other sports "Nation".

They are just trying to be a little different (global audience) so in time people will likely grow to accept it.

It really shouldn't bother you. You should be proud to be a WWE fan so you really shouldn't have any problem of being apart of the WWE Universe. If you don't like it, then go watch Hulk Hogan wrestle Abyss or whatever the fuck it is in TNA.

I honestly don't care what they call me. They could just call me "Wallet #5,200,918" and I'd be fine with it, because I don't need to have any sort of closeness or interaction with these people beyond what they give me via programming and matches. As far as these people being celebrities or people with whom I can somehow interact, I'm completely uninterested. I like watching them do their job. It's like if they enjoyed watching me create advertising campaigns for people; they may like what I do, but they'd give exactly 1/2 of a shit about who I actually am. Therefore, the WWE Universe is a useless term that doesn't describe anything more than a marketing tool and those who associate with said tool.

It's a bit annoying as a name, but it's no different than the "Raider Nation" or any other sports "Nation".

They are just trying to be a little different (global audience) so in time people will likely grow to accept it.

To add to that, also like "TNAManiacs". I'd rather be part of a universe than be a maniac in all literal terms to be quite honest.

The WWE is full of mediocre catchphrases that they try to label many different areas of their product, kind of like "vintage" and how lame "PUPPIES!" got to be.

The problem is they use it way too much, once every few episodes is fine, but the 30 times per episode of smackdown and raw does get quite overkill.

However, i don't really care, I'm just watching for the purpose of watching.

I dont mind. Most fans go from Raw or Smackdown right to the internet anyway. Internet has no boundaries.........seemingly like the Universe. Seems kinda logical when thought like that.
I just wished the WWE took that perspective when it came to PPV names (No WaY out...PERFECT for elimination chamber!! Yes, it still pizziz me off). There isnt any real way to call a wrestling fan a fan and not have it really sound stupid. Remember when you found out Steve-O was a member of the freakin Raw Fan Nation?? Oh how soon we forget.

i could not agree more. i hate the name and the fact that they use it so often. i liked it much better when we were just referred to as "the fans" or "all you people" because they really didn't say those things that much. now ever 2 seconds they got michael cole or john cena, josh matthews, todd grisham, and even mvp talking about the wwe universe. hell they even got bret hart to say it a couple times. thank god the heels don't say it because i do not think i would be able to sit through shows anymore.

I understand what you are saying and at first it really annoyed me too but I'm the type of person that just doesn't like change that much anyway. However, I've gotten used to it and it doesn't really bother me anymore. It WAS a little awkward hearing Bret Hart say it on Raw knowing that it was probably forced down his throat that he refer to the fans as such.

I still think, however, that the silliest "group" name is Joe's Nation of Violence name. How do you have a "nation" with only one person? Whoever thought of that was way off.

I still think, however, that the silliest "group" name is Joe's Nation of Violence name. How do you have a "nation" with only one person? Whoever thought of that was way off.

Whats wrong with a one man nation. :banghead:

On the term of the WWE Universe, I am not apart of the WWE Universe, I am also not apart of what ever the .... people were calling TNA Marks on the first page. I am a wrestling fan who enjoys tries to enjoy all aspects of all companies, I'd rather be entertained by everything then just one company. Its simple for me, I am a wrestling fan.

I Am Honestly Sick Of The Freakin Name "The WWE Universe" Every Time I Switch To WWE's Like RAW,Smackdown!,ECW Etc.. I Always Hear The Commenters And Wrestler Say That Annoying Word, Honestly Every Time I Watch Their Shows I Always Hear It, It Really Does Annoy Me, We Should Be Called FANS Not A Freakin Universe? What The Hell Is Wrong With Them.

I hate it too. I feel like they use it as a cheap way to give the impression that the people at home are cheering for all the things they should be.

Nowadays the WWE crowds will cheer for less than half of the mid card guys, and care mostly about when Cena takes off his shirt. Don't tell me you don't notice the dead silence during matches between non-main-event guys. If the guy who won that match that the crowd was silent for came out the next week and said something like "You could hear the crowd cheering/booing me" he would look like an idiot because the crowd didn't make a sound. Now if he said something like "The WWE universe was cheering/booing me" it would slide. Why? Because a universe is a big freakin place and there's gotta be at least on person at home who was making noise.

So yeah, this may sound stupid but when I hear Cole/Cena/anybody else say "WWE Universe", I feel like the "Universe" is an imaginary group of people watching at home cheering during absolutely every match at every right time for every right person. It just aggravates me. I can see why it aggravates you too.

Amazng some of the shit you guys bitch about.

It's called marketing kids. And if you don't know what that word means, it means "money".

There is an entire WWE website dedicated to the 'WWE Universe'. They have a forum just like this site does. Difference is where here we have 27,000 posts on the WWE, over there they have 911,000 *just about RAW*

They also have 376,000 on Smackdown, 428,000 on the Divas and so on and so forth...

Hell, they have over a million and a half posts on fantasy wrestling...the community is a million times bigger than any other wrestling site on the planet.

If those numbers don't clearly help you understand what a grain of sand the IWC is vs. the WWE Universe then God help you.

Point being, the more they push the term "WWE Universe" the more traffic they drive to it, the more money they make. Just like this site has pop ups in hopes you will travel to thier sites while here, the WWE Universe site is the launching pad to everything WWE merch.

It's all about money.

Wrestling is after all, a business.

Kind of iggnorant to bitch that a company tries to make money. Find something else to bitch about.

Is it any diffrent than when we wre refered as the Kliq or Hulkamaniacs orJerichoholics or the chain gang or edge heads....i think you just ahte it because its in the pg era...i dont like the pg era but there not forcing you to be a part of the wwe universe or a tnamaniac..just watch the show...stop over compensating things

This really gets on my nerve...we are fans not a '' universe '' seriously who ever made that term needs to be fired...we are fans...no point being in a universe because its too big...its like WWE saying that our opinions dont matter because were just there to give them money and not have a voice

Does it really bother you that much? Do you hear "WWE Universe" and then feel offended? It's a name, it doesn't change the product in any way, why are hating on it?

It doesn't matter me. They could call us the "Confederation of Fans" and I would still watch it.

It's a name, not a push or a firing. Calm down.

Is it any diffrent than when we wre refered as the Kliq or Hulkamaniacs orJerichoholics or the chain gang or edge heads....i think you just ahte it because its in the pg era...i dont like the pg era but there not forcing you to be a part of the wwe universe or a tnamaniac..just watch the show...stop over compensating things

Don't forget about the Test-icles.

When they first started using the term, I took as more of a way to say that Raw, Smackdown, ECW, etc were all collectively the WWE Universe. That universe also encompasses the video games, movie department, wrestlers, fans, t-shirts, 7-eleven cups and so on. So it's not that you are a universe, if you attend shows, buy merch or watch on tv you are a part of their world (or universe).

Vince doesn't go small so Raw Fan Nation wasn't going to cut it, he had to go bigger and settled on Universe. This is just like how for weeks everything was the "Biggest Main Event in (insert show name) history!"

As a previous poster pointed out they have the WWE Universe website which is a social networking site like Facebook or MySpace. So it makes sense to pump it up so people go there give them more site views.

Another way to look at it is if you don't think of yourself as part of the WWE Universe, then when they mention it, they aren't talking to you. It's like when Hogan talks about his Hulkamaniacs, I don't care that it's a stupid term because I'm not one of them.

I don't mind the name itself, but I hate how often they refer to the WWE Universe, its fine to call it that but it seems like the announcers say it all the time not to mention Cena when he's talking to all the ten year olds haha. It's kinda like Michael Cole saying the longest running weekly episodic show on EVERY Raw.

Im with you man all this WWE Universe craps gets annoying.When jonh cena cuts a promo and he pops out with the WWE Universe,I just change the Channel.Honestly im tired of that,In a regular SD show or RAW they cant go one day with out mentioning the WWE Universe.Even as a Heel or as a Face.Even in the damn house shows.

Note that the universe is very small now LOL, I can tell that it bothers you than it does me. Being part of the soldout crowds of the Attitude era was enough for me

I have no problem with the WWE Universe name. They wanted to have a name for the fan-base, and Nation is too small for the global company(you may recall the wwe universe website was originally called WWE Fan Nation, which sounds stupid). They went with Universe, because Planet WWE, WWE Solar System, and WWE Galaxy sounded too ridiculous.

And for those people who want to be called Fans, people need to remember that Fan is short for Fanatic, which actually has negative connotations. WWE is a PG company trying to sell its entertainment to people of ALL ages (not just the kiddies), and they try to avoid negativity as much as possible.

Kind of iggnorant to bitch that a company tries to make money. Find something else to bitch about.

FTW. I mean, it's not like we're allowed to have opinions on the way it makes money. As long as the product is maintaining itself, we should totally stfu and not voice our opinions on it.

Personally, I'm annoyed by it. Not the name so much as the fact that they have everyone with a mic spam it at every opportunity. When the Rock referred to his millions and millions of fans, he was usually the only one to do it, and it normally happened just once a show. What if we had Cole repeat it every half hour?

It really annoys me. I put it in the same category as the "Did You Know" bits on every Raw and Michael Cole saying "smart, sexy and powerful" every time a diva comes out. I don't know why but it seems like they think were stupid or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back