WWE Superstars 25/08

steveom07

Occasional Pre-Show
I just finished watching the 25th of August edition of Superstars. Its only the second Superstars I've ever watched but here are some thoughts I took from it about the matches and talent;

The first match was Sheamus against Heath Slater. I was really surprised to see Sheamus on Superstars but maybe they are looking to get it back on TV. I'm not sure.

Anyway Heath Slater did a little promo before the match which I thought was pretty good. He has decent mic skills and is decent in the ring. Although personally I dont like him, I think he has the tools to be successful. Kind of a less over Road Dogg. He got a good reaction from the crowd, as did Sheamus.

With Smackdown I tend not to listen to the reaction but instead watch the crowd to look for the reaction, I did the same here.

Next up was Brodus Clay, he got NO reaction from the crowd but has a unique look and style, if he develops a character he may be one to look out for in the future, an American Umaga?

Justin Gabriel came out to a nice pop and got a good reaction from the crowd. He put on a good match with a few good spots and as always the 450 splash got a very nice pop. WOuld have been nice to see him given the opportunity to get on the mic, its hard to tell if superstars have improved on the mic when they are never given the chance to practice.

The final match was Drew Macintyre - Daniel Bryan. Typical DB match, lots of nice spots, good flow to the match and submission finish. I never used to like DB but I must admit he is growing on me. When Matt Striker said DB thinks he can make anyone in the WWE tap out, I believed him. I think he could lol.

Drew came out to zero reaction, I personally love Macintyre, think hes an awesome wrestler and good on the mic. Maybe its because im Scottish I favour him more. BUT when people say WWE dropped the ball with him, I'm just not buying it, Drew was given plenty of oppurtunities. Look at Cody Rhodes for example - Given a crap gimmick, but he developed it and turned it into something which works.

Drew was given the chosen one gimmick - hand selected by Mr Macmahon himself and didnt develop or hone the character. Just imagine Cody was given this gimmick instead

Do you think Superstars is getting more star power to consider putting it back on TV?

What are your thoughts on my thoughts?

As a fellow Scotsman, I also am a huge fan of Drew McIntyre and wish he was used on the main roster more often. He is truly talented both in the ring and on the mic, has a good look and is still very young. I think they just don't have much for him right now, hopefully that will change soon and he becomes a big star in the WWE in the future :)

As for Superstars, I always watch it on youtube. I enjoy watching some of the stars on the show who don't always get a spot on Raw and SmackDown (Tyson Kidd, Trent Barreta, Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder, Heath Slater etc)

As for Sheamus and Daniel Bryan competing on it this week, quite a shock :O Especially with Sheamus being so popular at the moment, I think its a good move on the part of WWE to have some of the bigger stars appear on the show, after all, most of the big stars that appear in the opening credits never appear on the show lol.

Thats quite a very stacked card for Superstars...... but that means most of the Smackdown talent pool has been used in a warm up role, which leaves me to think how shallow the actual content on Smackdown is going to be and how many Raw superstars it'll use!

I hate to say this...but WWE need to take a page out of Vince Russo's book and try and get everybody involved in something. They have guys who they just don't make use of.

To answer your question,I think thats one of the reasons but also i think its down to the fact that they want to make superstars a meaningfull show to watch on tv or online.I think they should keep doing this but dont have the same big names on it every week just keep rotating it around but still allowing the undercard to showcase themselves on a weekly basis.

If this is the way they want to go with this then I think they should actually make it a brand,which all the undercard talents are on aswell as a few veterans such as Regal,Goldust (If he wants to) hell even bring back finlay and just other vetarans.This way its a brand for younger talents with a few locker room leaders who can offer them advice.They could also add a Title in the mix aswell just so that the undercard have a title to aim for.Hell it could be like how ECW was but just better & more exciting.And you could still have big names sometimes show up for a promo or segment or even a match.

Finally I Think they are bringing more star power to bring it back to TV,but they have to keep it like that or there is no point.

To answer your question,I think thats one of the reasons but also i think its down to the fact that they want to make superstars a meaningfull show to watch on tv or online.I think they should keep doing this but dont have the same big names on it every week just keep rotating it around but still allowing the undercard to showcase themselves on a weekly basis.

If this is the way they want to go with this then I think they should actually make it a brand,which all the undercard talents are on aswell as a few veterans such as Regal,Goldust (If he wants to) hell even bring back finlay and just other vetarans.This way its a brand for younger talents with a few locker room leaders who can offer them advice.They could also add a Title in the mix aswell just so that the undercard have a title to aim for.Hell it could be like how ECW was but just better & more exciting.And you could still have big names sometimes show up for a promo or segment or even a match.

Finally I Think they are bringing more star power to bring it back to TV,but they have to keep it like that or there is no point.

I like the idea of continually rotating talent and putting them on it. Having people like Sheamus, Daniel Bryan and Wade Barrett is good, as long as they are still prominent on their main show.

Having a title isnt something I would want. Having title matches on Superstars is fine by me though, like Tag titles and US defended on there would be good. But not an exclusive title. It would be meaningless and wouldnt boost someone - which in the very basic form is what a title is used for.

Just my opinion

I agree with everything you said but Heath Slater is a fail.

His voice is so boring and that little accent isn't helping him. And his in ring skills are mediocre at best.

And I do believe Gabriel should get more mic time. That's the only thing holding him back from an IC title push right now.

About Brodus Clay I've liked him since day one when he was on NXT. He has good mic skills and a nice look with tons of talent for a guy his size. He's should be built as "The world's largest suplex machine" more often I think that's a gimmick that can totally work for him. I can't wait to see him compete on Smackdown.

Drew's mic skills, wrestling skills, and personality are all good but not THAT good. He's ok.. But not ready yet for a repush.

Well it looks like it was a pretty solid Superstars, I might watch it. I do think they are having some bigger stars on Superstars so they can get the show on tv, shame they're not doing the same with NXT. I'm glad Brodus Clay has been on it because I'm a big fan of his, I think he could be a "American Umaga" with one person only being able to control him, as I sad I haven't watched Superstars this week yet so I can't comment on the reaction for him but if he is getting a poor reaction he needs a manager whether it's to "control" him or not. But the thing is he can talk so a manager might reduce his mic time which is bad but he does need to get a good reaction from the fans and a manager who gets a good reaction will pass it onto Brodus.

Well it looks like it was a pretty solid Superstars, I might watch it. I do think they are having some bigger stars on Superstars so they can get the show on tv, shame they're not doing the same with NXT. I'm glad Brodus Clay has been on it because I'm a big fan of his, I think he could be a "American Umaga" with one person only being able to control him, as I sad I haven't watched Superstars this week yet so I can't comment on the reaction for him but if he is getting a poor reaction he needs a manager whether it's to "control" him or not. But the thing is he can talk so a manager might reduce his mic time which is bad but he does need to get a good reaction from the fans and a manager who gets a good reaction will pass it onto Brodus.

Its very hard to tell whether its the crowd or canned heat. But when I looked at the crowd when he was coming out they seemed to all just be sitting there not really caring. But like I said, its difficult to tell and without actually being there I cant say for sure.

I agree with the points about the manager, finding one for him would be a lot more difficult though, maybe a guy who they say has some kind of family connection, i.e brother or father. Just to push the fact he is the only one that can control him

Its very hard to tell whether its the crowd or canned heat. But when I looked at the crowd when he was coming out they seemed to all just be sitting there not really caring. But like I said, its difficult to tell and without actually being there I cant say for sure.

I agree with the points about the manager, finding one for him would be a lot more difficult though, maybe a guy who they say has some kind of family connection, i.e brother or father. Just to push the fact he is the only one that can control him

I understand it's hard to tell whether or not it's the crowd or just canned. But was the crowd looking lively for Sheamus or Bryan? If not it might just be people don't care about being there for Superstars so they were not giving any wrestler a good reaction Brodus included.

I agree that a family member would add to the thing of "controlling" him but it could also be Armando Estrada, he could say he was able to control Umaga and now he has learnt to control Brodus. He could also add something like "Brodus is harder to control as he is a lot more aggressive" so it makes Brodus look like even more like a beast, not that he doesn't already.

I understand it's hard to tell whether or not it's the crowd or just canned. But was the crowd looking lively for Sheamus or Bryan? If not it might just be people don't care about being there for Superstars so they were not giving any wrestler a good reaction Brodus included.

I agree that a family member would add to the thing of "controlling" him but it could also be Armando Estrada, he could say he was able to control Umaga and now he has learnt to control Brodus. He could also add something like "Brodus is harder to control as he is a lot more aggressive" so it makes Brodus look like even more like a beast, not that he doesn't already.

They looked a lot more lively for Bryan and Sheamus. Even Justin Gabriel. Clays match lasted 30 seconds though against a local jobber.

Yeah thats a good idea, never thought of that

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back