• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE release 25 'Masters of the Mic' List

AwesomeRko

Getting Noticed By Management
WWE.com has released a list of the "Top 25 Masters of the Mic." Below is the list 1-25

1. Stone Cold

2. Roddy Piper

3. The Rock

4. Ric Flair

5. Chris Jericho

6. Jake Roberts

7. John Cena

8. Dusty Rhodes

9. Bobby Heenan

10. JBL

11. Randy Savage

12. C.M. Punk

13. Hulk Hogan

14. Mick Foley

15. Billy Graham

16. Vince McMahon

17. Edge

18. Paul Heyman

19. Triple H

20. Jesse Ventura

21. The Miz

22. Ted DiBiase, Sr.

23. Santino Marella

24. Rick Rude

25. Captain Lou Albana

Whilst I agree with some of it I think there are some fundamental flaws. Rock should be number one, he is widely regarded as the best talker in company history and it was his ability to hold the crowd in the palm of his hand which defined his stellar career.

I also think Foley should be top ten, he is so diverse on the mic and contributed to some of the funniest and most memorable promo segments of the attitude era.

JBL should not rank above HHH, Macho Man, Hogan, Heyman, Edge or even Punk in my view either.

What do you guys think?

I find a lot wrong with the list I think Jake Roberts should be in the first position...I don't think that Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes, John Cena, or JBL should be in the top 10 even though I think they were all good.....and I think Jerry Lawler should actually be up there....When he first came to the WWF I think he was good on the mic....

Seems like a pretty acceptable list. The order, as always, is subject to debate, but not bad. I personally wouldn't have Cena nearly as high, and I'd have The Rock in at number one. I may have omitted Billy Graham and tried to squeeze HBK or Kane on there, but oh well. Much better than some of their other lists.

Paul Heyman is way too low. I hope his position is based on not being a wrestler and not being a "WWF" guy.

His presentation, tone, passion is epic. He is one of the few people in history to makes fans momentarily forget wrestling his scripted. He makes me think wrestling his real.

First of all how the HELL is Cena ahead of Heyman and CM Punk??? Second of all WHY is Steiner not in the top 5 let alone not even on the list? Big Poppa Pump could get the crowd going better than ANYONE (short of the Rock)

WHERE THE HELL IS SCOTT HALL???????

I find a lot wrong with the list I think Jake Roberts should be in the first position...I don't think that Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes, John Cena, or JBL should be in the top 10 even though I think they were all good.....and I think Jerry Lawler should actually be up there....When he first came to the WWF I think he was good on the mic....

Dusty is HORRIBLE on the Mic and CENA, WOW that makes no sense at all other then he's WWE top guy! hahaha I'm SHOCKED they didn't put Cole on the list. My top 5 would be:

1. The Rock
2. Steve Austin
3. Piper/Scott Hall
4. Steiner
5.C.M. Punk

Stone Cold as number one is right on the money, but the Rock at number 3 i don't get, a lot of people say that Cena is childish on the mic, but if that same people really listen to the Rock, they will find out that he's far more childish than Cena, i said this on another thread, i don't get why people are blinded by the Rock, in my opinion Cena is better than him, now, back to the original point, Stone Cold and Piper are where they are supose to be, but CM Punk should be number 3, Edge should also be on the top 5, i'm surprised that The Undertaker is not there, also HBK 90's version should be in the top 5 or ten, and Paul Heyman should be higher than that, he or Punk should be number 3, i can go on and on on thi list, but i know everyone has a different opinion, is up to everyone's favorites, i guess that list can be changed several times by different people, and that's great........

A decent list, if a little slanted to the current E. For me, Rock's mic work eclipses any other worker in the history of this business by a country mile, including Stone Cold. I'd also like to have seen AA here; Arn could deliver a promo and make it work. And to go real old school, Gene Kiniski was the original and quintessential motornouth: even Roddy wasn't in his league.

Also... why isn't Jake in the Hall of Fame again?

Stone Cold as number one is right on the money, but the Rock at number 3 i don't get, a lot of people say that Cena is childish on the mic, but if that same people really listen to the Rock, they will find out that he's far more childish than Cena, i said this on another thread, i don't get why people are blinded by the Rock, in my opinion Cena is better than him, now, back to the original point, Stone Cold and Piper are where they are supose to be, but CM Punk should be number 3, Edge should also be on the top 5, i'm surprised that The Undertaker is not there, also HBK 90's version should be in the top 5 or ten, and Paul Heyman should be higher than that, he or Punk should be number 3, i can go on and on on thi list, but i know everyone has a different opinion, is up to everyone's favorites, i guess that list can be changed several times by different people, and that's great........

Any list like this is obviously subjective and opinion based and I do respect your opinion. Having said that I can't see how anyone could justify placing Punk, Edge (mush as I love him), or Cena over the Rock as a talker. Rock can manipulate and captivate an audience like noone else can and has probably taken part in more memorable mic segments than any other superstar, most of which were carried by him. Rock is number one by a country mile in my book.

For my part I believe Cm Punk is placed exactly right, he merits a place in the top 20 but he is a far-cry from top ten yet. Angle also merits a place on this list, his promo work is far underrated, as do HBK and Road Dogg.

Any list like this is obviously subjective and opinion based and I do respect your opinion. Having said that I can't see how anyone could justify placing Punk, Edge (mush as I love him), or Cena over the Rock as a talker. Rock can manipulate and captivate an audience like noone else can and has probably taken part in more memorable mic segments than any other superstar, most of which were carried by him. Rock is number one by a country mile in my book.

For my part I believe Cm Punk is placed exactly right, he merits a place in the top 20 but he is a far-cry from top ten yet. Angle also merits a place on this list, his promo work is far underrated.

I agree but disagree about The Rock! Steiner was just as captivating with the audience and really knew how to work up a crowd.

While the list can be argued against in terms of who should be where, I think it's important to note that it IS a good list as far as having all the right guys on it. Many of the guys on the list are in the proper spot. Others, not so much. While Stone Cold had fantastic charisma and some amazing promos, few would dare say that he was better than The Rock. Rock is widely regarded as the greatest mic worker of all time. And while Piper and Austin are undoubtedly in the top 5, The Rock is the only superstar on the list that truly contends for #1. It's also hard to argue that both CM Punk and Paul Heyman should not be higher. CM Punk's mic skills are the secret behind The Summer of Punk, along with him being able to play off the right characters. Paul Heyman is undoubtedly a top ten contender. There are a few people that claimed JBL doesn't deserve his spot, but I disagree wholeheartedly. JBL was a fantastic color-commentator and his mic skills helped make him one of Smackdown's greatest heels. There are a few others that I disagree with, but they're not incredibly relevant.

The last one to question is Santino Marella. While he's good, I'm not sure if he belongs on this list. Most of these guys have at least one stand out, amazing promo- and Santino hasn't had one. Does he really belong?

The Rock would be my number one.

Two notable absences to me are Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle. Both have been great in the past as they both can pull off different types of characters. I feel they should be on this list instead of The Miz and Santino.

Also, HHH has shown over the past two years he is absolutely awesome on the mic and tells a magnificent story, he should be higher up on the list, top ten in my opinion.

While the list can be argued against in terms of who should be where, I think it's important to note that it IS a good list as far as having all the right guys on it. Many of the guys on the list are in the proper spot. Others, not so much. While Stone Cold had fantastic charisma and some amazing promos, few would dare say that he was better than The Rock. Rock is widely regarded as the greatest mic worker of all time. And while Piper and Austin are undoubtedly in the top 5, The Rock is the only superstar on the list that truly contends for #1. It's also hard to argue that both CM Punk and Paul Heyman should not be higher. CM Punk's mic skills are the secret behind The Summer of Punk, along with him being able to play off the right characters. Paul Heyman is undoubtedly a top ten contender. There are a few people that claimed JBL doesn't deserve his spot, but I disagree wholeheartedly. JBL was a fantastic color-commentator and his mic skills helped make him one of Smackdown's greatest heels. There are a few others that I disagree with, but they're not incredibly relevant.

The last one to question is Santino Marella. While he's good, I'm not sure if he belongs on this list. Most of these guys have at least one stand out, amazing promo- and Santino hasn't had one. Does he really belong?

And most people forget when Punk an recovering from the injury and was a color-commentator, he made Cole and Lawler sound like Striker. That's another reason I feel he's way too far down on the list and CENA is way too high up.

Just like most of the posters here, I believe Rock should be number one. Austin was great and all, but you really can't put him ahead of Rock. Anyway, miz and Santino got no business being in the list. And where the hell is HBK and Kurt Angle?! It's hard to take this list seriously without these two in it.

Well opinions are to respected but there are a few things u say that dont make any sense..

Firstly u say Cena is now better than the rock. Very very arguable but ur opinion but that doesnt eclipse all the mic work the rock has done in his short yet lucrative career. Safe to say that 98-04 rock would have wiped the floor with cenas promos. That is the rock regardless of what he says or the promos he cuts now.

Secondly how can u say cm punk should be no. 3 and edge should be no. 5. This is a list of the greatest mic works ever in the wwe. cm punk is NOT the third greatest promo cutter in the WWE of all time. And edge isnt really known for his promo skills while they were extremely good. Hes known for being a whole package which includes wrestling, talking and acting. Same with punk.

Ric Flair should be no.3. Rock should be first with austin second and then flair THEN piper. Ric Flairs mic work was exceptional up until his retirement (in the WWE that is) . I can still remember something he said to Maven once. 'Ive had more world championships than uv had women.'

HHH and Vince mcmahon should be higher on the list but i think thats an effort not to try to gloat on their part. They could be accused of putting themselves higher on the list.

Santino Marella and Miz. WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY EVEN DOING ON THAT LIST !!!!!!! Miz might be one of the best heel promo cutter right now but SERIOUSLY !!!!!! And Santino. He isnt even funny frankly.

Ventura should be higher on the list as well.

But frankly this is a much better list than the WWE have put out in recent years.

Personally I think Heyman should be in the top 10, Cena should be lower, his promos are all the same. Heyman is one of the few guys in the business who never needed a script, Savage should've also been up there just because his promos were always entertaining and made you feel the emotion, and I think we are missing someone who never made sense but his promos are memorable yes I am talking about Ultimate Warrior. Santino while comical is not a mic master, I think WWE definitely dropped the ball on this one.

What really surprises me is Edge being so low. I always thought he was amazing on the mic. Does anyone really think that Vince is above him?

As for who I think should be number one. The Rock IMO should be, but Stone Cold would be a close second followed by Piper. Foley is a top 5 in my mind. JMO.

Don't have a problem with the names on the list except for Miz and Santino. Miz is pretty good at getting heat but there are others out there who are more deserving of the spot. Santino on the other hand doesn't even use real words half the time and quite honestly I am fucking sick of him. Heenan should be much higher and Cena should be much lower. Not sure why bubba ray isn't on the list, his ECW in ring promos were insane. Still it's a WWE release so take it with a grain of salt. Obviously they want still active wrestlers listed there even though they shouldn't be. If this was an independent release I suspect the list would be MUCH MUCH different.

Not sure about HHH only being 19. I would say he is definitely higher than that. Santino should not be on the list. He is funny but not in the top 25 ever. Kane does not get enough credit for his mic-sills. I would easily have him in my top 25 of all time. He really does his job superbly and has been doing so for years. HBK isn't on the list either. He deserves to be there for what he did when he was speaking. He could get any crowd intrigued into what he was saying.

One thing I can say about the list is that is certainly pissed me off, I mean how can Cena be at seven? Let alone in the top ten, I understand when he was over about eight years ago he was great because of the rapping but since then everything that comes from his mouth is crap. I agree that Rock should be number one but in all fairness, Stone Cold has had his moments of magic on the mic. CM Punk should be higher, easily within in top 5 or 6. He hasn't been around for long but has always been great on the mic. I also think Edge should be higher up, people may not agree with me but he's obviously better than Cena and in my opinion was always great on the mic.

I never quite understood the fascination with The Rock's mic work, so I'm happy to see WWE didn't give in to the hype and rank him #1. Stone Cold is far and away the best mic worker ever in my mind.

There were three glaring problems with this list:

1) Hulk Hogan not ranking in the top 10.

2) Vince McMahon not ranked in the top ten.

3) Santino ranked ahead of Rick Rude. WTF?

I never quite understood the fascination with The Rock's mic work, so I'm happy to see WWE didn't give in to the hype and rank him #1. Stone Cold is far and away the best mic worker ever in my mind.

There were three glaring problems with this list:

1) Hulk Hogan not ranking in the top 10.

2) Vince McMahon not ranked in the top ten.

3) Santino ranked ahead of Rick Rude. WTF?

1) Never been a Hogan fan but even if I was, I don't think I'd put him in the top 10 :s

2) Agreed

3) Can't believe he's ranked at all, if he can get ranked in this why can't Warrior!? xD

As someone else said, no Regal .. Would love to know what they base their ranks on for these things.

Cena, Meh personally think he's fairly weak on the mic but when he used to do that rapping shit he was pretty good so if it's based on that then I might have to agree with his placement.

Aslo, not sure if someone else said, No Angle? Perhaps it's just me who thought he was decent on the mic then xD

I totaly agree with you,like i said earlier, i don't think that the Rock should be in number 3, i'm not trying to put the Rock down or anything like that, and i'm not saying that he's not a legend, but he's not exactly "the best" in my opinion, and also like i said earlier, if people really listen to The Rock's promos, they will find out that a lot of people's promos are far better, so in this list of the 25 greatest of all time, the Rock should be between 15 and 25.........

Hard to argue a list like this. It is so subjective, but my two cents says Heenan and Heyman are too low, Arn Anderson not being on this list is a travesty, and any list that doesn't have Flair as number one just hasn't been paying attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back