Who Wins This Matchup?

• CM Punk

• Sabu

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, Providence Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island.

275px-DunkinDonutsCenter1.jpg

CM-Punk-cm-punk-28911386-389-464.png

#5. CM Punk

Vs.

22.jpg

#28. Sabu

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I think Sabu's alright. I know he botches quite a bit but he's entertaining to watch.

However.

This is a standard match and I've never seen a standard Sabu match where he didn't bring out a chair. I know he could actually mat wrestle (thanks for the info KB) but I've never seen it

Fact of the matter Sabu could be facing anyone besides CM Punk and he'd probably lose because of the rules. If this was a gimmick match maybe, but CM Punk can actually work a standard match and win.

434 days. 6th longest reigning champion of all time. 0 drugs taken.

CM Punk is better than Sabu. We all know it. There may be a difference of opinion regarding his recent departure, but that in no way diminishes the fact Sabu has nothing of note that would compare to what Punk has done as champion. If bodily injuries counted then Sabu would have this in the bag. He was always fun to watch in ECW but acting reckless will only go so far & he just isnt up to the same level that Punk has achieved.

Hey look, Sabu is pointing to the guy who is going to win this match. Seriously, outside of getting busted with drugs, everything Punk does is better than Sabu. How the fuck does Sabu keep getting into the tournament? Three years I've seen him in, and three years I've called him Sabotch. I'd say that Punk wins after a GTS, but Sabu will likely put himself to sleep after he pops some pills and passes out, forgetting he has a match.

Punk wins by forfeit after Sabu attempts to surprise Punk by jumping off the top of the rafters onto him, only Punk sees it, and moves, killing Sabu in the process. Or maybe not. Sabu did a lot of drugs back in his day.

Vote Punk.

This is the WWE Region, Punk in his prime walked out on the WWE. Therefor we can conclude that Sabu will win this match by forfeit because Punk won't show up for the match.

Regardless of Punk's attendance, Sabu will get hit with 3 chairs before throwing himself through a barb wired table.

ECW was great and all, but I don't really understand Sabu in this tournament. Punk is miles ahead of Sabu in every way. Punk takes a beating in this match, but gets the win and moves on.

ECW was good but there's no way in hell Sabu ever comes close to Punk. Even in his low dark ages of ECW Punk would've beaten Sabu. Much less once he became a huge star.

Winner- Punk after a GTS

In 2011, Punk and Cena had what people thought was match of the year at MITB under standard rules.
In 2013, Punk and Lesnar had what people thought was match of the year under hardcore rules.

Sabu is known for being a habitual botcher in the wrestling ring. Punk went toe-to-toe with the former UFC heavyweight champion in a hardcore environment and absolutely took it to him. He's going to mess up Sabu. And then he's going to leave.

I am entertained by Sabu and think he's a half decent wrestler, despite his sloppiness. However, he has never done anything to suggest that he is in the same hemisphere as Punk, let alone league, so I have to give this to Punk.

This is one of the most lopsided matches in the tournament.

This isn't ECW, so chairs and tables won't be a factor. Even if they were, Punk would likely still win. Sabu couldn't defeat Cena in an Extreme Rules match, so how is he going to beat Cena's biggest foil, CM Punk, in a wrestling match?

Sabu flies around the ring for a bit, but Punk catches him in the GTS, sending Sabu back to wrestling in his high school gym in front of 60 fans chanting EC DUB!

Punk wins, and he gives Sabu an Arabian Facebuster of his own after the match after Sabu almost injures Punk, botching 27 moves in the 7 minute match.

Punk moves on.

I think Sabu has never won a major championship...unlike Punk who has won almost every single championship the WWE has to offer. Good night Sabu, there is absolutely no competition here.

CM Punk wins this one with minimal fuss and moves into the next round as Sabu goes for the springboard from the top rope, slips, and breaks his neck in an extraordinary botch.

Seriously, CM Punk wins this at a canter.

I loved Sabu in 1994/95/96. I read about his hardcore style. I saw his pictures in PWI and thought he looked crazy. My imagination ran wild with this guy. I never actually saw him wrestle until 1997 and when I finally did I was underwhelmed. He was ok but watching him on tv did not live up to what I had read. Sabu could be fun to watch but for the most part he was a guy that relied too heavily on ridiculous spots and often botched them. CM Punk held the WWE title for 14 months. That one sentence won't get Punk through this tournament but it's enough to get him past Sabu.

I read about his hardcore style. I saw his pictures in PWI and thought he looked crazy. My imagination ran wild with this guy. I never actually saw him wrestle until 1997 and when I finally did I was underwhelmed. He was ok but watching him on tv did not live up to what I had read.

I had a similar introduction to Sabu. After reading stuff like PWI and seeing clips of some of his crazier moves, I thought he was awesome and hoped I'd get to see a full match of his one day. But when I finally got to see him wrestle for the first time, to say he failed to live up to expectations would be an understatement.

My vote is for CM Punk. He managed to reach the top when doing so meant having to give 100% for every performance and was slightly more popular than John Cena during a portion of Punk's WWE peak. That's like opening a restaurant that managed to become more popular than McDonalds for a month, it's pretty damn note-worthy. Add to that the fact that he's gone from the WWE, and fans are still chanting his name. He's the anti-Shia Lebouf, he can't not be famous anymore.

That felt good. Now the real reason I'm posting at all. Pro-wrestling fans are as easy to please on a universal level as the regulars of a Youtube comment section. If one of us makes a big enough case for say CM Punk's likability in spite of his lack of a body builder physique, or for Sabu's lack of credibility due to him being one of the most endearingly popular faces of Botchamania, it's likely to become a major consensus.

I'm a Sabu fan because even when he botched, it was entertaining. He's more famous for his botch-ridden blood baths mainly because those types of encounters apparently made him the most money, that and he probably was just a sado-masochist with a dream job. The man could entertain is what I'm saying, and if he needed to he could adapt to a more traditional style of match.

Sabu took on Jushin Lyger in NJPW, in a match that was the most traditional style of match I've ever seen Sabu work.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wokv_njpw-sabu-vs-jushin-thunder-liger_sport

I know, it's not the best match in the world. Sabu botches, but Lyger plays along every time it happens and it's better than most of his matches that I've seen because it shows that Sabu has worked a few traditional matches here and there. Also, Lyger at 2:30 acting like "What the fuck are you pointing at?" was gold.

Outside of a hardcore environment, Sabu's like a fish out of water. He's know mostly for his insane spots and, of course, hardcore matches. In that sort of environment, he has more than a fighting chance of coming out on top. Punk's someone that's shown to be quite well rounded. He's a pretty good brawler, high flyer and can damn sure wrestle on the mat. He's also gone over wrestlers who're a VASTLY bigger deal than Sabu ever was, so Punk takes this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back