WWE PPVs ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferreira

SORRY! About you damn luck!
I think that WWE is trying so hard to make funny segments for their Capitol Punishment pay-per-view but failing so damn much it makes me feel bad about it.

Their ads with the President Obama's press conference look goofy, silly, and not well orchestrated. It just seems odd that somebody thought that this was funny.

Lately their PPVs ads are way worse that they were years ago. When you look let's say to PPVs that happened 3 years ago, only at Summerslam they wouldn't focus on the wrestling, on the matches. Now all we have is this thematic bullshit that no one cares about. What is Over The Limit about? A quick PPV? Quick matches? Quick superstars? I have no clue. What is Capitol Punishment about? A PPV on Washington? So? There were plenty of WWE PPVs on Washington before... It's not like its groundbreaking. It's not like they are having a PPV on Wembley Stadium. It's freaking Washington DC!

Why does WWE try so hard to be funny with their ads? They just look odd. I'm the only one that thinks that WWE should change the way they adverstise their PPVs. Well, look at TNA, they might do a lot wrong and a lot good, but for me even with their Before The Bell Segment they at least promote the actual matches, like the matches or not, they promote it. WWE doesn't promote matches, well, if you look at the ads you don't know if Cena is going to face R-Truth or Santino Marella...

It's just silly, who cares? This isn't an issue I think. The issue is the actual match card they will put forward. Since they are going on the "Capitol" pun since it's the capitol of the US, they do those silly segments.

But they do have the PPV run down on the shows before the PPV, naming each match.

I don't see why you bring up TNA at all either.

It's just silly, who cares? This isn't an issue I think. The issue is the actual match card they will put forward. Since they are going on the "Capitol" pun since it's the capitol of the US, they do those silly segments.

But they do have the PPV run down on the shows before the PPV, naming each match.

I don't see why you bring up TNA at all either.
That's not the only issue. The other issue is that they don't promote their matches. They promote the theme of the pay-per-view. Well, at least for me, that doesn't make me buy the PPV or not. If I saw a ad for Triple H vs. Undertaker I would probably buy the PPV but only if they promote it as the PPV that will happen at Washington DC there is nothing in there that tells me: "Buy it!".

I don't want to start the whole Attitude vs. Now kind of thread, but back in those days they promoted their matches. And people bought the PPVs because of the matches, now they just promote where the event will happen or what the theme of the PPV is. That's my main focus of this thread.

The quality of the matches is a whole different thing. I'm not focusing on that.

I hate how WWE does this but its one of the things that i got used to. For me living in the UK I really don't care where the PPV is unless its in the UK. I also dont like the themed PPVs because thats what the ads are about. If I saw a big match as the main point of the ad or a main storyline in the ad i would be more willing to watch it but to be told people from Washington are going to be invited, to see the silly 'press confrence' and to not have a good fued hyped I just dont want to see it.

That's not the only issue. The other issue is that they don't promote their matches. They promote the theme of the pay-per-view. Well, at least for me, that doesn't make me buy the PPV or not. If I saw a ad for Triple H vs. Undertaker I would probably buy the PPV but only if they promote it as the PPV that will happen at Washington DC there is nothing in there that tells me: "Buy it!".

I don't want to start the whole Attitude vs. Now kind of thread, but back in those days they promoted their matches. And people bought the PPVs because of the matches, now they just promote where the event will happen or what the theme of the PPV is. That's my main focus of this thread.

The quality of the matches is a whole different thing. I'm not focusing on that.

I know for the go home show for Over the Limit on raw they had a segment for each Raw match to build it up.

You brought up TNA, not the attitude era.

You have to have a card first to promote the matches. Just wait.

I know for the go home show for Over the Limit on raw they had a segment for each Raw match to build it up.

You brought up TNA, not the attitude era.

You have to have a card first to promote the matches. Just wait.
Actually I brought up TNA and the Attitude Era. TNA promotes their matches and storylines with their adds. Last time I remembered them not promoting actual matches was when Bound for Glory was in Chicago and they made the whole gangster movie kind of promo. Since then, I don't remember one single time that they aired an ad and didn't promote a match for their PPVs.

Same thing happened during the attitude era. They promoted matches, look back at 2001, Survivor Series - Winner Takes All match was the biggest atraction, they promoted the match. If they promoted only WWF vs. WCW / ECW do you think it would have gain the same reaction? This isn't about the matches or the qualitify of the matches.

I don't care if it its John Cena vs. R-Truth or Santino Marella vs. Kozlov, if that is your main-event run with it, promote it like hell. People will care! If they promote only the PPV for being in Washington do you believe it will work solely based on that? I don't think so. My bet is that Capitol Punishment will have bad numbers.

I know that people that actually watch RAW and SmackDown know the card, but people who don't, need to know why they should buy this PPV. If you had Cena vs. Orton at Summerslam again don't you think they would promote it? That's my point.

Focus on the matches. Or at least the storylines. Don't focus on goofy PPVs that actually don't change anything. Will they have a Capitol Street Fight or something? No. They will have regular matches. Some will be for championship others won't. That's just a regular PPV.

They do it bc of the main stream media it can/could get from it. Msnbc, fox news, even since it having a comedic look, maybe even Colbert report or the daily show. Wwe's big focus is getting as much attention as it can bc the more attention equals more money.

Well for one thing, it's somewhat difficult to promote matches for a ppv when there have not been any confirmed yet. So I would suggest that you exercise some patience in this particular scenario.

As for this ad they've been running, I agree it's tiresome and ridiculous. It's kind of a play on the Coors Light commercials so it was amusing the first time, but there's no need to show it on every show until the ppv and I don't really expect them to. Pretty soon we'll have some matches announced and they'll just be giving us a rundown of the card like they normally do. For now though, this is a new event and with the way some of these new ones have flopped, they're just trying to get people interested in it early before matches have been set in stone.

Well for one thing, it's somewhat difficult to promote matches for a ppv when there have not been any confirmed yet. So I would suggest that you exercise some patience in this particular scenario.

As for this ad they've been running, I agree it's tiresome and ridiculous. It's kind of a play on the Coors Light commercials so it was amusing the first time, but there's no need to show it on every show until the ppv and I don't really expect them to. Pretty soon we'll have some matches announced and they'll just be giving us a rundown of the card like they normally do. For now though, this is a new event and with the way some of these new ones have flopped, they're just trying to get people interested in it early before matches have been set in stone.
Of course they can't air anything without knowing the card. Or at least announcing it. But they actually changed the way they promoted the PPVs. Look it up, let's say 2009 (I will use this year because I already said 2001 and I remember this quite acuratelly) at Backlash, you knew it that it was the PPVs of rematches so what did they do? Promoted the event as the rematches of Wrestlemania per say, showing the faces of the biggest names on the company saying the name of the PPV and some cool images:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ESjG2jw-Q

What would WWE do now? They would have a picture of the poster, say whoever sings the song and if it is a thematic PPV just saying the matches not hyping the actual matches or storylines that could take another step on the PPV.

I think that TNA when they promoted their PPVs in recent history they always hyped something of the storylines, I remembered Kurt Angle saying before Lockdown that we would come for Immortal. So it add something to the viewer, the viewer knew what the PPV could be about. And I think that actually helps selling PPVs instead of just random silly ads that don't add anything.

I think that partly the reason for this is that the WWE isn't getting any new fans right now so they feel like the people who will watch the PPV already follow whats going on. That's the entire part of a PPV, to see the story that you've been following throughout the month or months pay off. If you see a PPV commercial for WWE, you are either already watching it, used to watch it, or don't really care either way if they show Triple H or someone on it because you don't know them anyway.

Also, the promos that you are speaking off, the obama ones, they happen during the show, which means that they don't have to promote the matches because you are actually following them already.

I think that partly the reason for this is that the WWE isn't getting any new fans right now so they feel like the people who will watch the PPV already follow whats going on. That's the entire part of a PPV, to see the story that you've been following throughout the month or months pay off. If you see a PPV commercial for WWE, you are either already watching it, used to watch it, or don't really care either way if they show Triple H or someone on it because you don't know them anyway.

I understand that they are not promoting WWE for new fans. Even if they were if they showed just like you said Triple H people wouldn't know who he is, so they wouldn't be tempted to buy the PPV. But what if they showed some great spots of kind of matches that there will be at the PPV? If it's a HiaC they have great footage that for the casual fan might get them interested in buy the PPV.

Also, the promos that you are speaking off, the obama ones, they happen during the show, which means that they don't have to promote the matches because you are actually following them already.

Sure. I'm not only talking about the Obama's ones. I think that silly promo they had for Over the Limit doesn't scream "WRESTLING!" as a PPV ad should, at least one from WWE. If you watched the Over the Limit ad at the beggining you would guess it would have nothing to do with wrestling matches...

WWE has had a lot of cheesy ads in the 80's and 90's as well. I just hope they don't have a fake Obama vs. a fake Sarah Plain or John McCain match. Didn't they already have one of those before? Just like the fake Donald Trump vs. the fake Rosie O'Donnell. It is lame but since the PPV is in Washington, I guess they have to make it political. Maybe Bob Backlund will announce he is running for President again. That would make it worth watching at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back