• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Paybck - World Heavyweight Championship: Dolph Ziggler VS Alberto Del Rio

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
After making his television return to Raw last night, Dolph Ziggler confirmed that he'll return to action this Sunday when he defends the WHC against Alberto Del Rio.

Given the circumstances of Ziggler being out with a concussion, the build to this match hasn't exactly been the stuff legends are made of. However, I do expect the match to be entertaining with Ziggler, hopefully, moving on after successfully defending against Del Rio.

Given Ziggler's interaction with Jericho last night, I'm wondering and even hoping that Jericho will be his next opponent. They've stolen the show a couple of times in the past and a feud against someone as over and respected as Jericho, if Ziggler comes out on top, will really go a long way towards solidifying his run.

The build for this match has been poor. It doesn't feel like a world title match - in fact this title has been built horribly for a while. The feuds have been decent but there has been no stress on the world title. There should always be a balance.

Ziggler will win this and I feel we may see a rematch at MITB or indeed a triple threat between the two and Swagger.

Should be a nice tune-up/comeback match for Ziggler before he moves on to his next feud. Del Rio has no shot in hell at winning the title again this year, and it's too early to pull the plug on Ziggler's WHC reign.

The US & Tag Titles matches are bigger than this. The WHC needs to get around the waist of somebody like Orton quickly.

Del Rio is easily one of the most underrated workers on the roster, Ziggler easily the most overrated behind Jericho. Those two variables mean one thing: Crowd apathy.

Ziggles' injury lay-off did not allow any time for a build up to this PPV

i expect some outside interference (Big E, likely) to add some spin on the conclusion of the match

The champ to retain but having Del Rio having a legit claim to another title shot

i hope to see them use a cage match in a match that matters ( Trips vs Lesnar was a gigantic borefest)

The US & Tag Titles matches are bigger than this. The WHC needs to get around the waist of somebody like Orton quickly.

Del Rio is easily one of the most underrated workers on the roster, Ziggler easily the most overrated behind Jericho. Those two variables mean one thing: Crowd apathy.

They're both over in Chicago, so don't expect apathy.

Even with so little build this should be a solid match.

The World title has really started to fall. Even more so than being the number two title. Ziggler being out with the concussion has not helped matters, and I am starting to wonder if Ziggler is the man to get that title back to where it should be. Even still this should be a great match despite not having any build. Ziggler will retain, and hopefully he can move on to something bigger and better after the Del Rio feud is finally over.

The build up has been terrible and their is no excitement to this match at all because everybody, even the casual fans, know the Dolph Ziggler is going to retain the title. Their is no way the WWE would keep the title on Ziggler for the weeks that he was out of action, just to lose the title here. Will the match be any good? It will probably be a solid match but at the end of the day, Ziggler wins and hopefully goes on to bigger feuds.

The build up to this match may have been very poor but believe me, these guys will put on one hell of a match, if given enough time. These two had an awesome match on Main Event earlier this year and another one on SmackDown shortly after. GREAT chemistry together. Too bad no one seems to care about the match.

The World title has really started to fall. Even more so than being the number two title. Ziggler being out with the concussion has not helped matters, and I am starting to wonder if Ziggler is the man to get that title back to where it should be. Even still this should be a great match despite not having any build. Ziggler will retain, and hopefully he can move on to something bigger and better after the Del Rio feud is finally over.

The prestige of the world heavyweight title has devalued long long time ago. It is definitely not a B title, more of a C title. The world title of today is the equivalent of the 90s intercontinental title in terms of credibility.

The WHC is just basically a blah title anymore. Ziggler being out with an injury (So much for him being stripped of the title due to the 30 day defense clause)anyway,this match will be short IMO. It will be a good battle dont get me wrong ADR is a very underrated wrestler,but him and im afraid Ziggler are not the stars to bring the WHC back to the stardom it once held..

The WHC should be held by someone like Orton. Orton first needs to complete his heel turn and he absolutely can bring the WHC back to relevance. I dont think Ziggler will hold on to the title for much longer he just is not bringing the it factor to the title. This match just doesnt feel like a title match hell the divas title match matters more than this one does IMO!

A non-conclusive finish. Essentially, one where Ziggler wins the match and retains the title, but not with his finisher.

The program between these two should essentially be ending at Payback, if the plan is to keep the title on Ziggler through the summer. But with his concussion, there's been little WWE has been able to do to promote the match. Big E Langston vs. Del Rio in a best of five series? Please. The hype for this match has been virtually non-existent. I know Ziggler likely couldn't fly or travel to WWE events in order to cut a promo on Del Rio, and WWE was hamstrung in a way. Do they do an interview from home with Ziggler, hyping a match that they don't know when will happen? What if Ziggler had missed months, and needed to be stripped of the title? In that sense, perhaps less was better. It also shows the lack of importance of the WHC in comparison to the WWE Championship.

Ziggler retains here, but not decisiely. I believe their feud will continue through Money In The Bank, but if Ziggler wins conclusively with his finisher, what's left for Del Rio to do in the meantime? No, he's not that kind of champion, the one who beats you clean in the center of the ring. But he is the type to pull off an athletic type roll-up, perhaps the reverse of what we saw in the conclusion on the fifth Langston/Del Rio match. Del Rio, unable to make Langston tap, used leverage to roll him up. Here, Ziggler, unable to escape the cross-arm breaker, uses leverage to pin Del Rio.

But the feud never got the chance to be started, and unless they do a heckuva sell job on the go-home show, they've really closed the door on Del Rio winning.When you fail to hype a match like this one for a major title, the championship almost never changes hands. And it won't here, either. Ziggler retains.

Ziggler will retain the title here at Payback against Del Rio, I mean it is that obvious that they are going to have him retain especially since he has been out all this time with this injury hasn't been seen since but yet has still been able to hold that title even though it should have been vacated as soon as he got injured but no they waited for Ziggler to come back and since he is facing Del Rio who will have his 1 on 1 rematch for the title since Ziggler cashed in on him to become champion yes they will have Ziggler retain here and then at Money in the Bank he will probably end up retaining again but at least by SummerSlam they should have Ziggler drop the title to Orton and then begin Orton's full-blown heel turn

20130605_EP_LIGHT_payback_delrio-ziggler_C-homepage.jpg

This has the potential to be good BUT for some reason I'm just not that interested in it. WWE has not done a very good job of making me care about this match. I like Alberto Del Rio and I think that Dolph Ziggler deserves his current World Heavyweight Championship run. WWE has made this out to be an afterthought, which is sad to say. This is a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE MATCH!!!! It needs to be getting just as much attention as the 3 Stages of Hell WWE Championship match is. This belt has lost so much importance, but that of course is a topic for another thread.

As much as I hate to say it.... This might very well be when I go to the kitchen for a snack or take the dogs for a walk. I literally don't care about this match. It's extremely rare for me to say that about a title match, let alone a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP match. Even the divas match interests me more going into this show. That doesn't mean it will be awful. Quite the contrary, both competitors have the in-ring ability to deliver a solid match. Dolph will likely get the win, he not only deserves it but he NEEDS it in order for this to be the title run that makes him into a permanent member of the main event tier. I'm fine with the feud continuing but only if WWE step up and make me care about seeing a rematch. Time will tell. I think it will go on third to last with probably the divas following and then Cena/Ryback closing.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Dolph Ziggler will retain the World Heavyweight Championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back