• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Payback - WWE Intercontinental Championship: Bad News Barrett (c) VS Rob Van Dam

The Eighties

Forward Thinking Nostalgist

Another in a long line of hastily put together mid card title matches, no real story here just a challenger for Barrett to notch up a successful defense against. Should be a decent match at least and maybe they'll play off the fact Barrett beat RVD in the tournament final due to Cesaro distracting RVD..

I was somewhat surprised,that RVD got the right to face Wade at Payback.. I was sure that Big E was going to win,but alas he didn't. This should be a decent match,10-15 minutes or so,but in the end Wade retains rather easily IMO! RVD is just there to put him over and make him look good.. Would make zero sense for him to win here

Are ties possible in the Beat The Clock challenge? They must be. I would have had Ziggler beat Henry and tie RVD's time or put RVD against Ziggler and together they draw and win the challenge, setting up a Triple Threat for the IC Title. Barrett and Van Dam one-on-one should be a decent rematch, but I doubt there's a lot of interest for it. Adding Ziggler to it would've raised people's interest in the match especially for the interactions between RVD & Ziggler. And going over two former IC Champions and World Champions would make Barrett look a lot better coming out of it.

I think with Bryan out they have a good opportunity to push this match as if its a big deal. Same goes for the U.S. Title match. RVD may not be what he was but he is still a huge name that could help Barrett step up even more, especially in a unique situation like this. Sheamus and Barrett trying to jockey for position for who is the more deserving champion of a main event spot (even if we all know it will go to Evolution) would be some great build, with both guys getting some extra motivation and crowd support.

I actually think this is a great chance to do more with BNB and move him into that World title picture... have RVD put him over and him trot out when Steph announces whatever match is for the World title... "I'm afraid I've got some bad news... as Intercontinental champion I AM the number one contender...check the rules..."

Have it as a thing that Trips is SO used to power that it's entrenched in the rules and cannot be overridden...so he gets inserted into whatever programme/match is for the big belt... he doesn't NEED to win it, but it works for face turn and getting the IC belt over big.

As for the RVD feud, I really don't see this as being much more than to try and get Barrett super over... I don't even see it being a long match. Of the two mid card champs right now Barrett is hottest and of the 3 reported guys they are looking at he is the best equipped to move up as he has already headlined PPV's and beaten big names like Cena, Orton etc... Reigns isn't for right now, Wyatt needs the belt less so give BNB a run, maybe even unify the IC and Worlds for a bit... Three belts would be a very interesting thing for him to hold...

I don't see how Barrett doesn't win this match. This could be a decent match but not something that will be a classic. My guess is that this match is merely there to further build up Barrett and put him over, nothing more. I've got zero interest in seeing RVD as champion again. Maybe transition Barrett into the main event scene at some point in the future. Who knows.

Sorry. I mean, I'm happy that Barrett is the IC champ and all but there's zero storyline here and nothing for me to get emotionally invested into. I feel like there's almost nothing at stake here which is weird for a title match.

BNB wins in a probably 3/10 match. RVD is done, really, and his continued clinging to the industry is almost tarnishing the amazing talent he used to be.

I don't see the purpose of this except for RVD getting his probable contracted payout for the PPV. I almost think that Barrett can crawl out of his hole, which is just evidence that with enough work, embracing the creative, and tenacity can and will bring good things.

I really have to go with the consensus here in that Barrett will be winning the match as a heavy favorite. The only factor keeping any hope of it being RVD is that on Raw tonight Barrett cost RVD his match so he may need to get his heat back, though I think the aftermath tonight might have been enough. WWE hasn't been behind RVD since that unfortunate incident in the new ECW years ago. He's just employed now because the fans love him.

I love this match-up! It's going to be a fun match, but Barrett going over RVD is big because of the fact RVD is one of the greatest I.C champs ever. Barrett going over Rob is just going to push him more as champion. I would love to see him out due Cody's run. Have him go over a bunch of former champions. Let's start it off at Payback.. theirs no reason for RVD to win, and right now the best thing he can do is two things. One, put on great matches.. and two, put over talent such as Barrett. Great booking in my opinion.

Former World Champ vs a guy who is near that level. Makes the IC title kind of interesting and it should be a good match. The winner is predictable but this can deliver. Barrett will continue is rise and RVD will continue being jobber to the next group of top talent.

This is as predictable as it comes here: the popular (among fans & officials) Bad News Barrett will retain the title and go over the veteran & former World champion Rob Van Dam, continuing Barrett's rise to the top. It'll be a good-length match of kicks vs. punches with a few fancy moves to add some flair and give Barrett a good showing.

However, Rob Van Dam has been noticeably sloppy in the ring since his return, especially during his match with Del Rio a couple of weeks ago. He seems to get gassed quicker and doesn't perform some moves with his pin-point precision. I'm a little worried this match won't reach its full potential because of this but once the dust has settled, the only thing that matters is Barrett emerging victorious and using this win to proper him forward.

20140519_Payback_Match_Barrett_RVD_LIGHT_HP.jpg

This might go on first and it wouldn't surprise me if it does. Bad News Barrett can try to get some heal from the crowd with one of his Bad News promos as the show starts. The match should be alright, I don't see it being anything amazing but it could make for a good opening match. If it doesn't go first it will likely still be going on toward the first half of the night. Barrett is going to retain. WWE is in a position to finally give Barrett a big push and for RVD to win this match when he doesn't need the belt whatsoever would make Barrett's win have been for nothing, and I doubt anyone wants that. Barrett retains to open the show is what I predict happens here.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Bad News Barrett retains the Intercontinental Championship.

Barrett wins to maintain his momentum with a win over a veteran with some real name value. Should be a solid match, and it'll be interesting to see where they go with Barrett after Payback.

I am loving that the US and IC title are being featured on the PPV. Maybe the WWE World title not being defended is a blessing in disguise. It is not something i would want to see regularly, but it is nice to see the mid card title being featured on PPV. RVD is the perfect opponent to put Bad News Barrett over here. It's great that Barrett is finally getting over with the fans, and his title reign will continue after tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back