WWE Network Over-Saturation

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
I was looking at another wrestling news website for live Smackdown results when I came across a video (which I would have posted except I'm currently on my phone) that had every time WWE network was mentioned on RAW. The total ended up being 41 times the WWE Network was verbally said on the air. Last week reports were saying the announcers had heat on them for being disingenuous but can you really blame them?

41 times is too much, I get they're promoting it, however there has to be better ways then just being repetitive and showing a Sin Cara-Rusev match which only 700,000 people get to see. When WWE tries to promote something, they go for it don't they? What's next after the Network Tout 2.0.

When WWE tries to promote something, they go for it don't they? What's next after the Network Tout 2.0.

I'm glad I missed The $9.99 Show. I guess WWE figures that everyone just didn't hear them the first hundred times. Just another sign of how frustratingly confusing WWE can be: they're smart and forward-thinking enough to embrace social media and new media, but then they use antiquated carnival barking to sell the shit.

What's next is the scary part, because there's definitely no sign of this obnoxious plugging coming to an end. In 2011 WWE discovered Twitter and had the words "trending now" echoing in our heads. 2012 brought Tout and with it a grainy window into the sad lives of wrestling fans. Last year, WWE spent 5 minutes every week calling us idiots, teaching smartphone users how to download an app so we could see "exclusive" footage that they showed on TV anyway. And now we have the Network, which will likely be their fixation for most of next year, too. Ugh.

Millions of dollar ride on it. Why is it surprising that they're pushing it so hard?

I didn't get the impression that the OP was surprised that they were pushing it hard, just exasperation at how they were pushing it. I've only read and heard about the constant plugging of the Network and awkward mentions of its price on Raw, but if it was half as bad as when WWE finally got on board with Twitter then I get where he's coming from.

Complaining about the Network is all good and well, but for only $9.99 you can buy it and complain about your least favourite matches.

Complaining about the Network is all good and well, but for only $9.99 you can buy it and complain about your least favourite matches.

Or you could turn off the sound & make your own commentary, Mystery Science Theater style. FOR ONLY $9.99 ! Then you could film it, upload it & charge $10.99 to pay for your subscription WHICH IS ONLY $9.99 !

Hell you could even make your own game FOR ONLY $9.99 by saying the words 'Chris Benoit' every time it was edited out.

For more than I pay for Netflix, I get MUCH MUCH less than Netflix.

Until WWE learns this, they are destined to fail in this endeavor.

I didn't notice.

We at the WWE are staunch supporters of viewers with the amptly-named $9.99-blindness Syndrome (causing them to miss out on our $9.99-offer of subscribing to the WWE-Network for only $9.99), but will donate $9.99 for every one hundred... thousand... viewers that subscribes to the WWE-network for only $9.99.

Yeah yeah yeah. Thats all well and good Dirk, but get to the point. How much is it going to cost?

DirtyJosé;4954615 said:

Until WWE learns this, they are destined to fail in this endeavor.
But it's like Netflix! But better!!

PPV's cost upward of 30 dollars a month and I need to pay at least 70 dollars a month on top of that for a subscription service that allows me to watch them. The WWE Network, even with a VPN, is going to cost me a lot less than all of the above and I get a lot of extra/bonus content on top of that.

They've got me sold.

DirtyJosé;4954615 said:

Can't believe I'm disagreeing with Jose, but I don't get this thought process. WWE Network hasn't been available in Canada yet (apparently it's starting next week) but I will definitely be subscribing once it's on board (because, you know, it's only $9.99 a month).

Not sure if you watch every WWE PPV, or if you stream the ones that you do watch, because I guess that could be a factor. Personally, I watch almost every PPV, I only miss the very occasional one. And I have never streamed one illegally, nor do I plan on ever doing so. So the simple fact that I get every PPV for the entire year for $120, whereas I'm normally paying well over $500 for the year (not even bringing cable subscriptions into the discussion), that has me sold, easily. I don't anticipate watching much else on the network, although it's nice to know I have the option to do so if I want, but the PPV savings alone makes it an offer I can't refuse.

Right now they are relying on the PPV value but times are tough and people want bang for their buck. I know a lot of people who wouldn't pay 10 bucks a month for a similar service for the NBA or NFL, so you DEFINITELY have to do some convincing for something as niche as Pro Wrestling.

Where are ALL the RAWs, Nitros, SD's, Thunders?

They need a 3rd show exclusively on the Network WEEKLY to help supplement for RAW/Smackdown not being on there LIVE. (NXT is 1/2 of that supplement). I don't count Superstars or Main Event as real shows, bc they are just random matches. Maybe TNA can be that. If not, then there are a lot of midcarders not doing a damn thing on the main shows. Give them a chance to get into some real feuds. Maybe rebrand and rename Main Event, bring back Velocity as the new midcarder show.

Maybe get rights to NJPW and dub the promos and announcing over like American studios do with Power Rangers. That would really be a cheap thing to do because the footage is already shot and you don't have to worry about selling tickets/paying wrestlers/doing a damn thing except getting someone to voice over commentary and promos of non-American wrestlers. And of course the rights to the footage.

There needs to be at least one new thing on the Network every day.

Monday - RAW Pre/Post Show

Tuesday - NJPW

Wednesday - 3rd Brand For Midcarders Not Doing Shit on the Main Shows (Buy Rights To Show New TNA Eps?/Rebranded Main Event/Velocity?/Nitro?)

Thursday - NXT

Friday - Smackdown Pre/Post Show

Saturday - Pre-Screening of Latest WWE Documentary (for example, this past month it would have been the Paul Heyman doc)

Sunday - Road To Next PPV (Like the UFC version that just has people offer their opinions on who will win the scheduled bouts; Interview stars backstage; updated weekly based on what happens on the show)/PPV

Eventually, adding in all the Video Games from the WWE Vault (including WCW and ECW) for play on Xbox and PS would be nice.

If it was truly no limits, hands on, all access pass to the WWE vault like they've tried so hard to get us to believe, then it would be a no brainer in value.

Right now it's main value is the PPV's (that haven't been that great lately due to the poor writing) and occasional neat documentary.

The PPV's are a great value, but they should have just made PPV's 10 bucks if they were going to rely on that. The untapped potential of the network is what's stopping me from ordering.

It could be an ESPN for wrestling but they aren't that smart/creative I guess.

EDIT: But I also didn't even consider they could be going so hard because of the international debut of the Network next week + it's renewal time for those who signed up in February.

Yeah, I wasn't saying I was surprised they were mentioning it so much, it's more or less that the best they could think of was repetition which they've done numerous times for other products. The App was successful, Tout failed, and the Network until international release isn't as popular as they thought it would be. Perhaps a new marketing strategy is in need?

Habs, that makes sense for you because of your viewing habits. I don't even bother streaming PPV shows, much less pay for them. For me it offers nothing. I'm willing to bet most people fall somewhere between us. WWE needs to show them the value of the Network beyond PPV shows they probably weren't going to buy.

Can they just get rid of the app now?

It's been irrelevant since the Network's release and it's probably taking up a fair amount of funding. If people are willing to go out of their way to view exclusive content (which is the demographic the Network is trying to appeal to in particular), give those people as much incentive as possible to get that content on the Network and not giving it out for free on the App. Sure, a few interviews on WWE.com and YouTube is fine for web traffic and incitement for potential consumers, but the majority of the focus should be on getting as many people on board with the Network. Dedicate some time to talking about the Network and the perks that you receive to newer viewers and potential consumers, but do not spread it out across the show as it aggravates people with the network already or those who don't wish to purchase and doesn't attract anyone that you wouldn't normally attract in a single 2-minute segment. Unless WWE somehow get Joseph Goebbels on board the commentary desk, they're not going to sell many more network contracts with their current advertising campaign then they would have without their current campaign.

Honestly, the way forward for the network is to work on making their market penetration technique into a slightly more premium one (basically, raising the price slightly).

A year ago if you stumbled across some crazy deal online that offered DVDs of every WWE, WCW, & ECW PPV ever for $120 and with that purchase you would get a voucher giving you a year's worth of WWE PPVs for free you would have jumped on it and thought it was the greatest deal ever.

The Network gives you that and so much more yet people still complain because not EVERY show is on there yet despite new content being added at a very quick pace. If it's not worth the $10 to you so be it. I'm not going to tell someone how they should spend their money but the way some people complain about it they come of as spoiled brats that think they're entitled to get everything for nothing.

Again, if it's not worth it to you that's cool, but if you ever illegally stream a PPV when the Network is available to you then you're just a scumbag.

Right now they are relying on the PPV value but times are tough and people want bang for their buck. I know a lot of people who wouldn't pay 10 bucks a month for a similar service for the NBA or NFL, so you DEFINITELY have to do some convincing for something as niche as Pro Wrestling.

Where are ALL the RAWs, Nitros, SD's, Thunders?

They need a 3rd show exclusively on the Network WEEKLY to help supplement for RAW/Smackdown not being on there LIVE. (NXT is 1/2 of that supplement). I don't count Superstars or Main Event as real shows, bc they are just random matches. Maybe TNA can be that. If not, then there are a lot of midcarders not doing a damn thing on the main shows. Give them a chance to get into some real feuds. Maybe rebrand and rename Main Event, bring back Velocity as the new midcarder show.

Maybe get rights to NJPW and dub the promos and announcing over like American studios do with Power Rangers. That would really be a cheap thing to do because the footage is already shot and you don't have to worry about selling tickets/paying wrestlers/doing a damn thing except getting someone to voice over commentary and promos of non-American wrestlers. And of course the rights to the footage.

There needs to be at least one new thing on the Network every day.

Monday - RAW Pre/Post Show

Tuesday - NJPW

Wednesday - 3rd Brand For Midcarders Not Doing Shit on the Main Shows (Buy Rights To Show New TNA Eps?/Rebranded Main Event/Velocity?/Nitro?)

Thursday - NXT

Friday - Smackdown Pre/Post Show

Saturday - Pre-Screening of Latest WWE Documentary (for example, this past month it would have been the Paul Heyman doc)

Sunday - Road To Next PPV (Like the UFC version that just has people offer their opinions on who will win the scheduled bouts; Interview stars backstage; updated weekly based on what happens on the show)/PPV

Eventually, adding in all the Video Games from the WWE Vault (including WCW and ECW) for play on Xbox and PS would be nice.

If it was truly no limits, hands on, all access pass to the WWE vault like they've tried so hard to get us to believe, then it would be a no brainer in value.

Right now it's main value is the PPV's (that haven't been that great lately due to the poor writing) and occasional neat documentary.

The PPV's are a great value, but they should have just made PPV's 10 bucks if they were going to rely on that. The untapped potential of the network is what's stopping me from ordering.

It could be an ESPN for wrestling but they aren't that smart/creative I guess.

EDIT: But I also didn't even consider they could be going so hard because of the international debut of the Network next week + it's renewal time for those who signed up in February.

You are telling me some fluff shows on every night is going to convince people that feel that $10 a month is no value to sign up? When PPVs were 5 times more expensive just a year ago?

I'm sorry if you think $120 a year is too expensive for people that spend just that on smokes and alcohol in a month. Times are tough as you say, yet when WWE introduced a service that heavily discount their PPVs and you are still bitching about relying purely on PPV value is not enough. It helps those that were paying for more than 2 PPV a year. I guess unless it is for free it wouldn't have enough 'value'.

WWE always does the "Buy it! Buy it right now! Do it! Get up and stick your hand in your pocket! BUY IT!" thing, so I've learned to just kind of phase it out.

A year ago if you stumbled across some crazy deal online that offered DVDs of every WWE, WCW, & ECW PPV ever for $120 and with that purchase you would get a voucher giving you a year's worth of WWE PPVs for free you would have jumped on it and thought it was the greatest deal ever.

Baseless speculation. As much as we all may love this industry, we're not all willing and/or able to put that much into it, no matter how much of a bargain it is. Some of us have loved this stuff since childhood and still don't give it more than our attention on Monday nights.

The Network gives you that and so much more yet people still complain because not EVERY show is on there yet despite new content being added at a very quick pace. If it's not worth the $10 to you so be it. I'm not going to tell someone how they should spend their money but the way some people complain about it they come of as spoiled brats that think they're entitled to get everything for nothing.

It's not entitlement to expect WWE to be offering a service that compares to rival digital video streaming services when it is being offered at a similar or higher price. The one thing it can keep it its pocket is the value of PPV's vs traditional prices in that arena, but beyond that there is nothing WWE Network offers right now that compares to anything like Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix, which like it or not are their competitors in this market. Those of use who are critical of the WWE Network are not "spoiled brats", we just see better value for that money elsewhere and would like it if WWE realized this sooner rather than later.

You are telling me some fluff shows on every night is going to convince people that feel that $10 a month is no value to sign up?

Yes.

What are people missing on The Network other than PPV results that become old news the minute Raw goes on the air the next night?

Make it a REAL network with consequential programming. Have something of substance that exists solely on the network.

Obviously ignoring illegal ways of getting the shows, Netflix exclusively has high quality programming like Orange Is The New Black, House of Cards, within the near future, they are going to start making shows that exist within the Marvel Cinematic Universe like Daredevil. All Netflix Produced and shown exclusively on Netflix.

They're producing high quality, original new programming (not lazily slapped together reality shows and documentaries made with recycled footage). Hulu does the same. The WWE needs to take note. Like I said if they were going to rely on PPV's to sell the network, they could have saved a lot of money and made PPV's 10 bucks.

It's not unreasonable to hold them to the same standards as their competitors.

It's not unreasonable to hold them to the same standards as their competitors.

Absolutely not. And frankly, if WWE doesn't see these services as the competition they deserve to fail. It doesn't have to be a slew of award-winning original programming, it just needs to be far more than what they currently offer. Where are all those WWE Films? What aren't they on there?

I don't see Netflix as competition. They are the same type of service but offer radically different things. WWE can't possibly offer what Netflix offers. That's not reasonable to expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back