• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Might be Buying ROH

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
It's been reported on the main site that wwe as been in negotiations with sinclair broadcasting to buy ROH and produce a ROH show for the wwe network.

I really don't get this move by sinclair since ROH has started to be successful and becoming the number 1 indy promotion in the us,

But I get the logic from wwe side, if they can get this deal done, they just bought their number 1 competition for the nxt brand and get the roh library for the network, they also get new content for the network if they want to produce a weekly show for the network.

The only question is, what happens to the ROH talents under contract, do their contract come with the buyout and they are stuck working for wwe or is their contract become null and void and they can work for anybody they want.

I really don't get this move by sinclair since ROH has started to be successful and becoming the number 1 indy promotion in the us.

IF it's legit, I suppose you might have to look at it from the perspective of how much money ROH is making for Sinclair. That's not public information so there's no way of knowing for certain exactly how successful ROH is. My guess is that in terms of revenue, ROH isn't setting the world on fire; I've read reports stating that New Japan's revenue is in the mid $20 million range and New Japan's a lot bigger than ROH, so it's not at all impractical to consider the possibility that ROH only brings in a fraction of that. As I said in a different thread, when it comes to revenue, WWE may very well pull in more money in a 5 day tour of Australia or the UK than Ring of Honor brings in for the entire year.

But I get the logic from wwe side, if they can get this deal done, they just bought their number 1 competition for the nxt brand and get the roh library for the network, they also get new content for the network if they want to produce a weekly show for the network.

ROH isn't really competition for NXT when it comes to how many people watch. ROH is syndicated, so it airs on different days & times in different markets. With NXT, you can watch it at your own convenience if something happens to where you can't watch it on Wednesday nights or if you simply prefer to watch it another time during the week. Again, IF this is legit and the deal does go through, then WWE has to decide what to do in terms of content. Ring of Honor is a company who's key audience is made up of internet fans, or the "IWC" as some like to say; the style of ROH matches is that they usually work a relentlessly quick pace that, a good deal of the time, results in a good deal less selling & storytelling and quite a few heavily choreographed spots, especially tag team matches. WWE may want to keep that formula as a means of keeping ROH an alternative or, and this is very true when it comes to Vince, he may decide that he wants it to be more like WWE which, in my opinion, may make purchasing the company a bit of a waste.

Other things to consider are what they'd be doing in regards to ROH ppvs and its working relationship with New Japan.

The only question is, what happens to the ROH talents under contract, do their contract come with the buyout and they are stuck working for wwe or is their contract become null and void and they can work for anybody they want.

Yeah, these are things that'll only be revealed as time goes by and if the deal, if this report is legit, goes through. ROH has a roster of like 50 or so when you include male and female wrestlers and a lot of these wrestlers work other indy shows as well. If WWE purchases ROH, that'll almost certainly come to an end and my guess is that there'll be some significant cuts to the roster. ROH, like NXT, could become another separate WWE brand and, frankly, I've little doubt that ROH shows under a WWE banner would draw much bigger than usual crowds.

In the long run, this could also be part of a strategy in which WWE eventually initiates different price settings for the network. Everything is $10 right now but as more content becomes available including if WWE comes to agreements with other indy companies both here and in the UK to air their programs on the network, the eventual TV show taped in the UK centered around the UK Championship, the additional few thousand hours of content with the ROH tape library and weekly ROH shows on the network, then different price packages are probably a thing of the future.

I tend to buy the notion of a tiered levels of service but I personally would not pay much more than $10 even if that meant not getting the library or other premium content.

IF it's legit, I suppose you might have to look at it from the perspective of how much money ROH is making for Sinclair. That's not public information so there's no way of knowing for certain exactly how successful ROH is. My guess is that in terms of revenue, ROH isn't setting the world on fire; I've read reports stating that New Japan's revenue is in the mid $20 million range and New Japan's a lot bigger than ROH, so it's not at all impractical to consider the possibility that ROH only brings in a fraction of that. As I said in a different thread, when it comes to revenue, WWE may very well pull in more money in a 5 day tour of Australia or the UK than Ring of Honor brings in for the entire year.

ROH isn't really competition for NXT when it comes to how many people watch. ROH is syndicated, so it airs on different days & times in different markets. With NXT, you can watch it at your own convenience if something happens to where you can't watch it on Wednesday nights or if you simply prefer to watch it another time during the week. Again, IF this is legit and the deal does go through, then WWE has to decide what to do in terms of content. Ring of Honor is a company who's key audience is made up of internet fans, or the "IWC" as some like to say; the style of ROH matches is that they usually work a relentlessly quick pace that, a good deal of the time, results in a good deal less selling & storytelling and quite a few heavily choreographed spots, especially tag team matches. WWE may want to keep that formula as a means of keeping ROH an alternative or, and this is very true when it comes to Vince, he may decide that he wants it to be more like WWE which, in my opinion, may make purchasing the company a bit of a waste.

Other things to consider are what they'd be doing in regards to ROH ppvs and its working relationship with New Japan.

Yeah, these are things that'll only be revealed as time goes by and if the deal, if this report is legit, goes through. ROH has a roster of like 50 or so when you include male and female wrestlers and a lot of these wrestlers work other indy shows as well. If WWE purchases ROH, that'll almost certainly come to an end and my guess is that there'll be some significant cuts to the roster. ROH, like NXT, could become another separate WWE brand and, frankly, I've little doubt that ROH shows under a WWE banner would draw much bigger than usual crowds.

In the long run, this could also be part of a strategy in which WWE eventually initiates different price settings for the network. Everything is $10 right now but as more content becomes available including if WWE comes to agreements with other indy companies both here and in the UK to air their programs on the network, the eventual TV show taped in the UK centered around the UK Championship, the additional few thousand hours of content with the ROH tape library and weekly ROH shows on the network, then different price packages are probably a thing of the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if WWE buys it, and puts some of the talent on NXT and 205Live, and then sees if any step up to the main roster.

Also, they will get use of trademarks, can use footage from them, (such as if any current WWE talent was once in ROH, it can now be used in their video package or DVD). A ROH ring and some of its talent may even pop up in one of the WWE2K video games (probably too late for WWE2K18, but maybe WWE2K19).

If somehow this ends up in being true.

WWE should just leave ROH as it is now.

Let Nigel Mcguiness go back & run it, but leave it the fuck alone.

Dont get me wrong it would be great to see ROH content on the WWE Network, id love to see the ROH VOD & ROH weeklys & IPPV's as part of my network subscription.

Especially as the only way to watch ROH over here in the UK is either from the ROH website or ***egal streaming.

The other problem is most of the ROH roster would either jump ship to New Japan, TNA or other indie promotion as opposed to working for WWE, which IMO would be a crying shame.

I hope this isn't the case. The ROH tapes are a tempting aspect of a potential buy out, and I understand that. But even minor competition is good for business. Ring of Honor is a place for wrestlers to go, and it's a place that has more prestige than Impact has these days. That's not to say they're bigger, but they certainly have more credibility. As great as it would be to watch some old Samoa Joe vs CM Punk or even some Jay Lethal vs Adam Cole on the network, it just wouldn't be good for the American wrestling scene. There need to be at least 3 sizable promotions in the U.S. WWE's got enough of a monopoly as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back