• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE King of the Ring 2012

Steve-O-Matt

Pre-Show Stalwart
King_of_the_Ring_2010_logo.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------​

King of the Ring, one of my favourite titles in the WWE. Last time we saw Sheamus win and be put on the list of guys like Stone Cold, Triple H and many more. As we've seen, the King of the Ring is a great way for the guys to get a jump on the main event.

Now, the WWE have stopped doing it every year for a while (which sucks), but it seems it's been coming back every 2 years. The last one was in 2010, so odds are, they might do it this year... If creative remembered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

So your questions are so:

1) Who should participate in this years King of the Ring (if there is one)?
2) Who should BE the next winner of the WWE King of the Ring?
3) Would you change the prize (crown, cape, throne)?

Here's my two cents on... My own questions.

1) Kofi, Antonio, Heath, Brodus, Wade, Tyson, Tensei and Christain (if he's not injured).

2) Winner: WADE!

3) I personally wouldn't change much, have the cape, crown and stuff, but also add a championship belt. Mainly because I think walking around with a belt is a lot easier then all the other stuff. Now, I DEFINITELY don't want it to be defended, just something for the guy to show off.

1. Who should participate in this year's King of the Ring (if there is one)?

I think a mix of mostly younger guys on the roster with maybe one or two major names just to add some star power. There's almost always at least one main event guy in the mix. My picks would be Randy Orton, Kofi Kingston, Antonio Cesaro, Daniel Bryan, Kane, Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes & Damien Sandow. Since Team Hell No & Team Rhodes Scholars are both over right now, it'd be a way of bringing a little bit more light to the tag team scene. I wouldn't have team members fight each other, except maybe for Kane & Bryan for the purposes of heightening the tension between them.

2. Who shou.ld Be the next winner of the WWE King of the Ring?

I'd have to go with Wade Barrett for the win. I think he's ultimately in the best position right now for winning KOTR to do him the most good. Orton doesn't need it. Kofi & Cesaro could use it but they're both in the midst of mid-card title runs. Kane doesn't really need it. Daniel Bryan would be a good choice but, as of right now, I think they'd try to do too much comedy with Bryan as KOTR. The Miz could use it for extra momentum but, all in all, he doesn't really need it. It could be of benefit to Rhodes & Sandow but either of them winning it might cause dissention amongst them and they should remain a team for a while. Barrett recently returned from injury and has spent the past month or so battling main event guys like Sheamus & Randy Orton. He's poised to make a leap into the main event picture before too long I think, so winning KOTR would be a nice feather in his cap.

3. Would you change the prize (crown, cape, thrown)?

I'd get rid of the cape & crown. It's just a little too hokey in this day and age. I'd keep the throne, maybe redesign it so that it doesn't look as stereotypical. I like the idea of the KOTR having a special championship made that only the KOTR carries and wins each year. I'd use KOTR to sort of elevate someone in a similar way to MITB. Becoming KOTR gives the King the right to challenge for a World Championship match at any point over the course of the coming year. The King can't just cash it in anytime & anywhere like the MITB briefcase, the champ has to be given notice. The KOTR Championship reserves the King a title shot at whichever title he chooses on Raw, SD! or during any ppv.

It would be nice if they had a really big KOTR with damn near every superstar that isn't in a big storyline/Main Event. Have the final 4 go down at SummerSlam

Although the time has passed, I liked what the WWE did in the last few years of the original KOTR by having the winner challenge for the title at SummerSlam like Brock did back in 02.

I really like the parallel that KOTR had to SummerSlam as the Royal Rumble has with WrestlMania.

I would include guys like Cody Rhodes, Ted Dibiasi, Damien Sandow, Wade Barrett, Daniel Bryan, and even Otunga. But, you have to have your faces in there too. Guys like Clay, Ryder, Riley, Christian, Kingston, and Rey could all work. Of course, you could only have 8 or 16 of people.

My final four would include Rey Mysterio, to add a little experience to the last few guys. Also, Kofi Kingston. This way, everyone can wonder if this will be Kofi's lead into the main event. It would stir up some discussion and provide for a potential surprise. And, Wade and Bryan would be there.

Wade was my first thought to win. He fits the bill, and it would finally give him something to work with. But, Daniel Bryan could excel as King Of The Ring. It would keep his momentum up after Hell No is through. It would be fun as hell to watch. So, I say Daniel Bryan should win King Of The Ring, if it were to return.

I always liked the King of the Ring PPV and I hope it comes back in 2013. It is a great launching pad for someones career.

I don't think there will be a King of the Ring in 2012, but I think there is a good chance of it returning, in some form, in 2013.

I would have a 16 man tornament where you have to win to be one of the final 8 to be on the King of the Ring ppv event. I would set it up as follows.

Wade Barrett vs. Justin Gabriel, Barrett advances.
Cody Rhodes vs. Sin Cara, Sin Cara advances.
Damien Sandow vs. Kofi Kingston, Sandow advances.
Antonio Caesaro vs. Ryback, Ryback advances.

Then the final four.
Wade Barrett vs. Sin Cara, Barrett advances.
Damien Sandow vs. Ryback, Ryback advances.

Then the finals.
Wade Barrett vs. Ryback, Barrett wins do to outside interference. ( Regal, Drew and Mason Ryan interfer.)

I would have the formation of The Barrage, that night, and Wade Barrett becoming King Barrett. The four would become a new and dominant stable in WWE. It would be like a U.K. version of Evolution.

I would have this ppv in June, leading up to Summer Slam, with the winner getting to face either the WWEC. or the WHC. at Summer Slam 2013.

Like someone said earlier, The King of the Ring and Summer Slam go together like the Rumble and Mania. I think this way could help build the main event for summer Slam like it did a decade ago. I could see WHC. Sheamus vs. KOTR Wade Barrett, at Summer Slam with Barrett becoming the new WHC. and the Barrage taking over WWE. This would be the dream scenario for me. Regal and Ryan becoming tag champions and Drew becoming INC. Possibly, even add Layla with the DC. where see is from the U.K. too.

So this is how I would build the next King of the Ring tornament story line.

Personally, I liked it when there were 16 men challenging for the title King of The Ring. Anyway, here are my picks for the tournament.

Tyson Kidd, Michael McGuillicutty, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, Jack Swagger, Drew McIntyre, Kofi Kingston, Wade Barrett, Santino Marella, Zack Ryder, Curt Hawkins, Jinder Mahal, Mason Ryan, David Otunga, Alex Riley, and Ted Dibiase.

Now I know my list looks like a who's who of lower/mid card guys but last I checked, the King of The Ring tournament was normally used to elevate someone to the top.

(Round 1)

Tyson Kidd vs Jack Swagger, Tyson wins via tapout. (Dungeon Lock)

Justin Gabriel vs Santino Marella, Gabriel wins via pinfall (450 Splash)

Michael McGuillicutty vs David Otunga, McGuillicutty wins via DQ (Otunga originally wins but keeps beating on McGuillicutty after the match, reversing the decision)

Heath Slater vs Curt Hawkins, Slater wins via outside interference by 3MB

Kofi Kingston vs Jinder Mahal, Kingston wins via pinfall (Trouble in Paradise)

Mason Ryan vs Wade Barrett, Barrett wins via KO (The Souvenir)

Ted DiBiase vs Drew McIntyre, DiBiase wins via DQ (Blatant low blow followed by Future Shock)

Zack Ryder vs Alex Riley, Riley wins via pinfall. (Spinning TKO)

(Round 2)

Kidd vs Gabriel, Gabriel wins via 450 Splash

McGuillicutty vs Slater, Slater wins via Overdrive Neckbreaker

Kingston vs Barrett, Kingston wins via Trouble in Paradise

Ted DiBiase vs Alex Riley, DiBiase wins via Million Dollar Dream

(Round 3)

Gabriel vs Slater, Slater wins via Overdrive Neckbreaker

Kingston vs DiBiase, Kingston wins via Trouble in Paradise.

(Finals)

Slater vs Kingston, Kingston wins via Trouble in Paradise and is crowned the King of The Ring

No, I wouldn't change a thing. Today's product is aimed for kids and I think kids would like the visuals of someone being presented the crown, cape and throne. But I would add on a prize. Winner would become the number one contender for their brand's respective title and would get their title match at the next big PPV

Who should be in the tourney -

Wade Barrett
William Regal
Heath Slater
Drew McIntyre
Ted DiBiase
Kane
Mark Henry
Daniel Bryan

I have gone for a mix of people but agree it needs to be next year for maximum effect, June is favourite but I am more in favour the tournament being February, potentially on a UK tour and moving the Chamber into the summer. This is so the King Of The Ring final can take place at Wrestlemania as another showcase match.

I have gone for Regal as he is a former KOTR winner and I have put matchups where Tag Team Partners or possibly enemies by then may face off so if 3MB or Hell No are together or Split it adds some interest. Swagger and Henry are in there as former World Champions and guys who could help by giving McIntyre a boost by him beating them.

I would set the final up as a "Battle Of Britain" with Regal vs Barrett with Barrett eventually taking the win. This is of course if he doesn't win the Rumble, which I think is a distinct possibility. If that should occur it does not rule out him still winning but it might move Drew into the spot. This would achieve a massive house in the UK if held at somewhere like the O2 and gives Regal his "farewell run" while escalating some talent.

Well first off there isn't much time left in 2012 & I'm assuming the whole tournament (if it was to happen in 2012) would be over the next few weeks of programming & be centered around Survivor Series 2012.

16-Man KotR 2012 Bracket:
-Sandow vs. Ryder w/Santino: WINNER-Sandow
-Orton vs. Tensai: WINNER-Orton
-Sandow vs. Orton: WINNER-Orton
-Brodus Clay vs. Del Rio: WINNER-Del Rio
-Kofi(IC) vs. Cesaro(US): WINNER-Kofi
-Kofi(IC) vs. Del Rio: WINNER-Del Rio
-Orton vs. Del Rio: DRAW

-Kane vs. Rey w/Sin Cara:WINNER-Kane
-Bryan vs. Rhodes:WINNER-Bryan
-Kane vs. Bryan: WINNER-Bryan
-Barrett vs. Gabriel:WINNER-Barrett
-Ryback vs. Miz:WINNER-Ryback
-Ryback vs. Barrett: WINNER-Barrett
-Bryan vs. Barrett: WINNER-Bryan

FINALS: Triple Threat Match - Bryan vs. Del Rio vs. Orton

To me there are only 6 guys that would make sense to win the KotR tournament:
-Ryback: The obvious choice & young face to win it all. His beef is still with Punk & adding any "king" gimmick or accessories is not needed as of now. I'd have him gain a strong round 1 victory over a relevant heel like Miz only to be attacked by Punk or someone to lose to a strong heel like Barrett that could win the whole thing.
-Damien Sandow: While he would be my personal favorite to win, he is still too relatively fresh & young. Rhode Scholars are too involved in the tag picture to forsee "King" Sandow.
-Wade Barrett: A great pick & probably my #2 or #3 but my biggest problem with Barrett winning is that he JUST got repackaged & is the farthest from needing a "king" gimmick right now. Not to mention ANY accomplishment would propel him right now, so it doesn't have to be KotR.
-Kofi Kingston: Another babyface that would be a logical pick. I just don't see Kofi as any "King" let alone that I don't think it would push him much farther (if any) than he is already being pushed. Let him prove strong in the tourney & lose to a main eventer.
-Daniel Bryan: Besides Sandow, my pick to be "King". Unlike Sandow he is ready now but Bryan has the same problem as Sandow in that he is too involved with the tag titles to do much with the gimmick. Let him build tension with Kane in the tourney, only to have Kane cost him the finals.
-Alberto Del Rio: A great heel, already somewhat "royalty" & constantly talks about destiny. He needs something DESPERATELY right now & this would be PERFECT. The biggest complaint I hear about Del Rio is that he is stale & hasn't changed a lick of his character since debuting. So extending the money & power ideas to royalty & adding a layer to Del Rio I think could do wonders. It works best with him & for a guy that has had both world titles & won the largest rumble ever, this is the one thing that could still benefit him & it makes the most sense in my eyes for Del Rio to walk away the winner.

WINNER: "King" Alberto Del Rio......but you already knew that!

No. Keep the tradition. And while I see your point for an official KotR belt it is belts like that, that are meant for show, that take away from the other belts prestige.

Although the time has passed, I liked what the WWE did in the last few years of the original KOTR by having the winner challenge for the title at SummerSlam like Brock did back in 02.

I really like the parallel that KOTR had to SummerSlam as the Royal Rumble has with WrestlMania.

They might as well just drop the KOTR title then because it would be nothing more than a tournament to determine the number 1 to the title. It should be a tournament that brings together the upcomers and guys who have lost their way a bit, veterans. Can a veteran still prove he has it or can the upcomer prove his time is now (Roberts/Austin KOTR for example). Use it as a stepping stone to build someone rather than just rushing them into the title picture.

Rey Mysterio
Daniel Bryan
Kane
Ryback
Damien Sandow
Cody Rhodes
Antonio Cesaro
Wade Barrett

Wade Barrett.

Daniel Bryan and Damien Sandow would also be good choices, but I pretty much go with Barrett for the same reason everybody else has, he's English and England has royalty roots, so it's a perfect fit. If Barrett wins a Royal Rumble match or Money In The Bank though, then I'd go with Damien Sandow instead, Daniel Bryan doesn't really need it, he's already been elevated.

I'd pick Ryback to go to the Finals with Wade Barrett, that would be a slobberknocker.

Wouldn't change a thing, I'd keep the crown, cape and throne cause without it, being a KING doesn't make sense. It's not like they would have to wear it on upcoming shows anyway, some winners have worn the crown, cape and throne on the night they won the tournament, then they ditched it on the next show but still kept the title of the King Of The Ring.

I see a lot of people suggesting they go back to having the KOTR winner get a shot at the World Title, but I'd rather the WWE just have the King Of The Ring give the winner prestige then they just build him up into a World Title contender like they did with Stone Cold or Kurt Angle after they won the King Of The Ring. We have enough gimmicks in the WWE right now where the winner goes onto get a shot at the World Title.

I'm been a huge advocate for the return of King of the Ring as a PPV, at this point MITB has gotten pretty stale so it would make sense to change it up and replace MITB with KOTR as they generally serve the same purpose: pushing a new star. If they did bring back the KOTR I think your suggestion of Wade Barrett as the winner would be a pretty good choice. Cody Rhodes or Damien Sandow would be another good choice, and I could see either of them fitting the pompous king gimmick sometimes adopted by the KOTR winner very well. Damien Sandow rocking a crown and cape with that beard would be pretty sick.

However, if the WWE wanted to keep MITB around then instead of seeing the KOTR tournament return, it could be cool to see a modern version of the Deadly Game Tournament for the WWE Championship take place at a Survivor Series. To be honest I think the numerous possibilities coming out of the Deadly Game Tournament would create a lot more interest than a filler 5 on 5 Tag-Team Match with nothing really at stake.

Bottom line is, I want to see a tournament on a pay-per-view.

Everyone. The entire roster should be a part of this tournament. There is roughly 50 male wrestlers on the roster, bring up 14 "rookies" from NXT and you've got a 64 man single elimination tournament. Set up the brackets and let this play out over the course of a few months. Could even have a contest online to see who can pick the brackets correctly like the NCAA tournament.

There are a few to choose from who could use a rub like this to help get to the main event, Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett, but I think this should go to Cody Rhodes. He just needs a little something to help catapult his career. He's been on TV for over 5 years now and is only 27, that means he has a good deal of experience and won't be retiring anytime soon.

Definitely keep the cape, crown and throne. As a heel, Cody could do this gimmick well without going too over the top with it like Booker did (even tho he was still very entertaining). An idea for the winner would be to get a title shot at the PPV of their choosing, where as the king, they get to decide the type of match they will compete in. They could also "rule" over an episode of Raw or Smackdown.

King Of The Ring 2012

Participants :
1. CM Punk
2. Big Show
3. Kofi Kingston
4. Antonio Cesaro
5. Kane
6. Daniel Bryan
7. John Cena
8. Randy Orton

Results :

Round 1

Raw
CM Punk vs. Kofi Kingston. Winner, CM Punk
Raw’s WWE World Champion vs. Intercontinental Champion. That’s Raw!!

Main Event
Kane vs. Daniel Bryan. Winner, Daniel Bryan
Unified WWE World Tag Team Champion vs. Unified WWE World Tag Team Champion. I’m the Unified WWE World Tag Team Champion!! I’m the Unified WWE World Tag Team Champion!!

Smackdown
Big Show vs. Antonio Cesaro. Winner, Big Show
Smackdown’s WWE World Champion vs. United States Champion. That’s Smackdown!!

Saturday Morning Slam (Come on WWE, just give the kids something worth waiting for Dragon Ball Z Kai!!)
John Cena vs. Randy Orton. Double Disqualification.
HAHA!!

Round 2

King Of The Ring Pay Per View

Semi-Final Match One
CM Punk vs. Big Show. Winner, CM Punk
Raw’s WWE Champion vs. Smackdown’s World Champion. Undisputed!!

Semi-Final Match Two
Daniel Bryan receives a bye due to the Cena / Orton Double DQ.
Yes!! No!! Yes!! No!! Yes!! No!!

Round 3

King Of The Ring Final Match
CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan. Winner, CM Punk
Best In The World!!

I would keep the Crown, the Cape and the Throne and I would add a Championship Title Belt, not to be defended, but to be relinquished to the next King Of The Ring Tournament Winner. Something like this.

KOTRbelt3.jpg

kotr2.jpg

I would like to see these matchups in the QF:
Mysterio/Rhodes
Miz/Cara
Sandow/Gabriel
Barrett/Kofi

In those matches have these advance:
Mysterio
Miz
Gabriel
Barrett

Then we have two credible former WM main eventers in one match and two men with history in the other match. Cesaro could cause interference and cost Gabriel his match and we get the final of Barrett/Mysterio with Mysterio putting over Barrett.

For the winner I would have the crown and cape option for the winner which he goes around with until he enters his Mania feud (if the tournament was next Monday on RAW) or if it was in June then until his title match at Summerslam (which I would have him win so therefore replace cape and crown with title gold).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back